Author
Lauren-Oliver
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Lauren Oliver?

2britt13 wrote:

I totally agree that unhappy people are mean.  I know when I'm not happy I'm mean even though I try hard not to its really not that easy.

P.S. Your book was awesome and it got me back into my reading mode where I read all the time thanks!

Wow. Thank YOU. That is pretty much the best compliment I can imagine.

Author
Lauren-Oliver
0 Kudos

lau05 wrote:

Hello Lauren,

There have been much time ago since I don't speak with an author about his/her book. I consider myself privileged by doing with you. After finishing the book, I already knew and I could say when it would be released, it would cause a sensation. I liked very much your book and I hope with impacience the next one. I already read that you're writing the third one. My question is something general, not about the book. How does the inspiration arrives to you? Do you make something concret as yoga, wander around or something? Also, do you prefer writing the complete book and then, you revise it, or do you prefer revising the previous chapters while you're writing the next ones? Do you have always the same person who you leave the book to read after being written or depends the moment, the book and the situation?? Thank you very much.

It seems most of your questions are about my "process" (a kind of self-indulgent writerly term about how one goes about writing). I get a lot of inspiration when I'm working out, actually; obviously, most of the work of writing happens in front of a computer or a notebook, but I've found that turning off my conscious brain and going for runs really helps to shake loose new ideas. 

Typically I prefer to "write through"--meaning that I write a complete book without judging it, and then try and revise. In the case of my third book, however, I realized I am having a serious structural problem and I am only a third of the way through the book. In this case I am going back to tweak the concept and the content, and then I will move forward with the remainder of the novel. So I guess it depends.

Usually my novel goes straight to my agent, although not always--I've had my dad, and various editor friends, look at different works. But I never have more than 1-2 people look at my books until they are in a very, very finished phase. It makes me too nervous.

Contributor
Pineapple_Princess
0 Kudos

Lauren,

I didn't like your book at first, but then i started to like it more when i realized it had a great message about changing yourself to become a better person-then i loved it :smileyhappy:

Author
Lauren-Oliver
0 Kudos

Pineapple_Princess wrote:

Lauren,

I didn't like your book at first, but then i started to like it more when i realized it had a great message about changing yourself to become a better person-then i loved it :smileyhappy:

I am so, so glad. That is exactly the experience I was hoping my readers would have! :smileyhappy:

(BTW, and just for the record--I am sending this response from 30,000 feet in the air...go wifi on Virgin America planes!)

Contributor
pengy
0 Kudos

Hi! I've been thinking about how I would ask you my question for a few days xD I over think things wayyy to much but Okay

I shake my head... not in digust but at how well this book is written and how young you are to write my new favorite book! My mom came in to bring me it. I was very excited but it was about 10 o clock on a school night and I decided to read the prolouge..... It was a mistake but a good one! My mom came down at 12 and asked why I was still up. I pointed to the book and she said I had to stop reading and finish tomorrow. If my mom hadn't come in I probaly would have finished it at about 1 o clock in the morning. l:smileyvery-happy:

Okay now my question......

Writing this book did you ever postion yourself in their heads and think what would flash before your eyes?

єνєяуσηє тσℓ∂ мє тσ gяσωη υρ.... ι gяєω υρ αη∂ тнєη тнєу ωαηтє∂ мє тσ gяσωη ∂σωη...
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Lauren ,You are up,up and away..Enjoy and see you back here on Monday..Susan  Vtc     Almost completed Chapter 6...Will be an interesting  week ..i also wanted to say your no regrets attitude,is a great comment..I must agree,it helps one to experience and learn and then move on to the next Phase of our lives..Just my thoughts....

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

Lauren,  I was happy to see that being a part of this on-line disucssion is for you as wonderful an experience as it is for us ther readers.  There are times when I question whether or not to ask to be a part of the FL selection but I always do.  I enjoy disucssing a novel with others whether in person or through this on-line medium.  I have wondered if it is difficult to read the feedback from the readers, tedious to go through and respond back to all of us, and whether you just want to get your book out there and move on to the next one.  Thank you for being a part of our discussion and taking the time to read and respond.  Kathy

To be honest, Susan, when I agreed to participate in the first look program through BN.com I had no idea what to expect, and no idea that the experience would be so stimulating, fulfilling, and also supportive (I actually had lunch with some B & N people today, and I was telling them this!). It has been so amazing to see such disparate--but generous--reactions to my book, from people of all ages. Truly humbling and amazing, and something I could never have predicted when writing the book.

Contributor
mwallslawson
0 Kudos

Hi Lauren! =)

Like many others, your book seriously made me think... and still is, in fact, even though I finished it three or so weeks ago.  I'm about ready to read it again, hehehe. =)  I agree with BoilerWriter: I was strongly reminded of Laurie Halse Anderson, who is one of my all-time favorite authors.  I can't wait to read Delirium already!

I'm a high school teacher, so I just wanted to say that I think that partying in the book sort of depends on the context.  You're right about several things around this: I've taught at three very different schools, and at each  I would easily say half are big-time partiers.  I was a goody-two-shoes in school, but it was the same then as well... I just chose to never be around it.  As you said earlier, I think that Before I Fall has a pretty harsh message against basing your life on popularity and the actions that it takes to be "cool", and I think that all of my students would pick that up quickly as well.  I don't know if younger ones would, but I know that my ninth graders think critically about books like that already.  There are tons of YA books that are squeaky clean, and there are plenty that have parties with no moral outcome... it just depends on the kind of book you're trying to write, I think.

OK folks, here's where I get spoiler-y.

I also wanted to note that even though Sam says at the beginning she's going to die, I didn't quite "get it"!  I was still really surprised that she DID die at the end; I actually had thought that she was referring to her 5.5 deaths before that time.  I sobbed when I read about her last "flight".

I tend to ramble a lot. =P

But I was wondering if you had any characters you simply didn't like (other than perhaps that teacher *shudder*)?  What portions of the book came very easily to you?  Were there any plot kinks that you didn't expect to pop up?  

You must become who you are - Nietzsche

~ blog ~ tweet ~ read ~ more ~
Author
Lauren-Oliver
0 Kudos

pengy wrote:

Hi! I've been thinking about how I would ask you my question for a few days xD I over think things wayyy to much but Okay

I shake my head... not in digust but at how well this book is written and how young you are to write my new favorite book! My mom came in to bring me it. I was very excited but it was about 10 o clock on a school night and I decided to read the prolouge..... It was a mistake but a good one! My mom came down at 12 and asked why I was still up. I pointed to the book and she said I had to stop reading and finish tomorrow. If my mom hadn't come in I probaly would have finished it at about 1 o clock in the morning. l:smileyvery-happy:

Okay now my question......

Writing this book did you ever postion yourself in their heads and think what would flash before your eyes?

Wow. What a great question. Strangely, you know, I hadn't really thought about this...although now I certainly will! I definitely thought about--and have thought about for years--what kind of day I'd be satisfied reliving over and over.

Oh, dear. Now you've got me thinking about the moments that would flash before my eyes and it is freaking me out, and making me feel compelled to reach out to the people I love! That's a good thing, though, I guess. :smileyhappy:

Author
Lauren-Oliver
0 Kudos

kpatton wrote:

Lauren,  I was happy to see that being a part of this on-line disucssion is for you as wonderful an experience as it is for us ther readers.  There are times when I question whether or not to ask to be a part of the FL selection but I always do.  I enjoy disucssing a novel with others whether in person or through this on-line medium.  I have wondered if it is difficult to read the feedback from the readers, tedious to go through and respond back to all of us, and whether you just want to get your book out there and move on to the next one.  Thank you for being a part of our discussion and taking the time to read and respond.  Kathy

To be honest, Susan, when I agreed to participate in the first look program through BN.com I had no idea what to expect, and no idea that the experience would be so stimulating, fulfilling, and also supportive (I actually had lunch with some B & N people today, and I was telling them this!). It has been so amazing to see such disparate--but generous--reactions to my book, from people of all ages. Truly humbling and amazing, and something I could never have predicted when writing the book.

Oh--I certainly don't find the online discussion tedious at all! I am thrilled and grateful to be a part of it; it is an overwhelming experience to know that other people are engaging so thoughtfully with the book, and to be honest I've been surprised and amazed to find that people's questions and attitudes have caused me to think about certain aspects of the novel differently. It helps me get a fresh perspective on my own book, which is pretty awesome!

I am working on a new book now, but I don't feel "done" with this one in the way you describe--I am eager for it to go out into the world and have a full life, and I am hopeful that many people read it and think about it and talk about it. Perhaps that's because I'm proud of BEFORE I FALL and happy with its message--I can certainly imagine situations in which I might write a book I was eager to kind of sweep under the rug! (Although, of course, I hope that won't happen.)

Author
Lauren-Oliver
0 Kudos

mwallslawson wrote:

Hi Lauren! =)

Like many others, your book seriously made me think... and still is, in fact, even though I finished it three or so weeks ago.  I'm about ready to read it again, hehehe. =)  I agree with BoilerWriter: I was strongly reminded of Laurie Halse Anderson, who is one of my all-time favorite authors.  I can't wait to read Delirium already!

I'm a high school teacher, so I just wanted to say that I think that partying in the book sort of depends on the context.  You're right about several things around this: I've taught at three very different schools, and at each  I would easily say half are big-time partiers.  I was a goody-two-shoes in school, but it was the same then as well... I just chose to never be around it.  As you said earlier, I think that Before I Fall has a pretty harsh message against basing your life on popularity and the actions that it takes to be "cool", and I think that all of my students would pick that up quickly as well.  I don't know if younger ones would, but I know that my ninth graders think critically about books like that already.  There are tons of YA books that are squeaky clean, and there are plenty that have parties with no moral outcome... it just depends on the kind of book you're trying to write, I think.

OK folks, here's where I get spoiler-y.

I also wanted to note that even though Sam says at the beginning she's going to die, I didn't quite "get it"!  I was still really surprised that she DID die at the end; I actually had thought that she was referring to her 5.5 deaths before that time.  I sobbed when I read about her last "flight".

I tend to ramble a lot. =P

But I was wondering if you had any characters you simply didn't like (other than perhaps that teacher *shudder*)?  What portions of the book came very easily to you?  Were there any plot kinks that you didn't expect to pop up?  

I've had a lot of feedback from educators and teachers about how (unfortunately) accurate a lot of the scenes of partying--and even bullying--are; and as you say, I think the book contains pretty clear messages about the consequences of living recklessly, and am hoping that readers will be able to see that.

I did not like Mr. Daimler (the teacher), as you perceive--I did not particularly like Rob, either, although he was just kind of a self-absorbed and none-too-bright high school boy, a buffoon as opposed to a predator. It was very, very easy for me to write about Izzy and Sam's relationship, particularly their journey to Goose Point in Chapter Five--my sister and I used to go to a place called Gosling Rock together. And it was easy for me to convey the friendship between the four girls, the fierce love and loyalty, as I have three best friends and have since high school.

Plotting isn't my strong suit and it's important for me to kind of map out the trajectory of my books very carefully at the beginning, so I worked from a pretty solidified outline as I was working on Before I Fall. So I wasn't really surprised by any plot kinks, no.

I'm sorry I made you cry at the end! (kind of.) :smileywink: 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal
0 Kudos

Lauren,

Thank you for being so willing and diligent in answering everyone's questions.  Your responses are so genuine and heart felt.  When I read them, I feel as it you are speaking to us, not through technology, but almost as if you were right here in a room with us. 

Thank you also for allowing us to get one of the first glimpses of your debut novel.  It has been an honor and a privilege to read Before I Fall, and work with you!

I wish you much success with your next book, and I will certainly be watching for its release...rushing to the book store (probably pre-ordering from Barnes & Nobel) to be one of the first to experience it!

Take care,

Aimee

"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

vtCozy wrote..Beautifully said..We have another week with Lauren,and it should be quite interesting..I have 50 pages to go,and very curious to see Rachels questions and everyones somewhat final answers..I am also looking forward to see the released Book,and have a copy or 2..One for a Gift for sure shortly..See you on Board..Vtc.Susan
Zeal wrote:

Lauren,

Thank you for being so willing and diligent in answering everyone's questions.  Your responses are so genuine and heart felt.  When I read them, I feel as it you are speaking to us, not through technology, but almost as if you were right here in a room with us. 

Thank you also for allowing us to get one of the first glimpses of your debut novel.  It has been an honor and a privilege to read Before I Fall, and work with you!

I wish you much success with your next book, and I will certainly be watching for its release...rushing to the book store (probably pre-ordering from Barnes & Nobel) to be one of the first to experience it!

Take care,

Aimee

Frequent Contributor
ashley_42
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Lauren Oliver? (may be a spoiler if you haven't read the end)

hey Lauren,

just wanted to let you know i finished this enticing novel in 2 days, and thats saying alot considering im a pre pharm major in college, with a  full work load. 

By the end of the book i was more than deeply moved.  Im pretty sure this book changed my life.  By the end I saw that every little thing DOES matter that you do.  In a single day you can do so many different things that can totally alter the next week, year, or even your life. 

It also showed me to cherrish every minute.  You don't know when your last is.  Every day that I have woke up so far I've thought like Sam, Is this going to be my last day??  How am I going to let it end? 

In result I have been so much happier.  Felt so much more fulfilled.  Thank you so much for letting this be possible!! 

i AM def recommending to my friends.  Thank you so much for this chance.  Your a wonderful author and can't wait to read more of your books in the future. 

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Dear Lauren,Again this may be a "Spoiler".I finally did finish your beautiful book..It was difficult during Chapter 5,then I was no longer in denial that Sam was dying,getting ready to fall.going to the other side.Not until she was ready..That to me was the key element for the whole novel.Acceptance.,change..You have probably no idea how "Before I Fall "would effect all of us. You were able as an Author.to harshly and gently give us a glimpse into what might occur,what did occur in Sam's visualization of her life.Thank you Lauren for your insight and brilliant writing skills..I wish you many years of success,in both your Career and  your Life as well..."Delirium "will be of course ,very well received by all your readers as well..Another week with you,Vtc  Susan

Author
Lauren-Oliver
0 Kudos

Zeal wrote:

Lauren,

Take care,

Aimee

Thank you, Aimee. And for me, it has been an honor and a privilege to be here with all of you--I have to thank you all for the sensitivity of your comments, perceptiveness of your questions, and generally the immense amount of support I've felt from all of you! It has been--and continues to be--an incredibly special experience for me. :smileyhappy:
Author
Lauren-Oliver
0 Kudos

ashley_42 wrote:

hey Lauren,

just wanted to let you know i finished this enticing novel in 2 days, and thats saying alot considering im a pre pharm major in college, with a  full work load. 

By the end of the book i was more than deeply moved.  Im pretty sure this book changed my life.  By the end I saw that every little thing DOES matter that you do.  In a single day you can do so many different things that can totally alter the next week, year, or even your life. 

It also showed me to cherrish every minute.  You don't know when your last is.  Every day that I have woke up so far I've thought like Sam, Is this going to be my last day??  How am I going to let it end? 

In result I have been so much happier.  Felt so much more fulfilled.  Thank you so much for letting this be possible!! 

i AM def recommending to my friends.  Thank you so much for this chance.  Your a wonderful author and can't wait to read more of your books in the future. 

WOW. All I can say is that your response to the book is exactly the kind of reaction that makes me proud and happy to do what I do; I am so glad you were able to engage more thoughtfully with Before I Fall, and allow it to influence your attitudes to your own life.

It's so, so hard to live mindfully in the present, I think, as Sam must learn to do in the book--but so important. It requires patience and practice. I struggle with it every day! But it's worth the energy and effort.

Author
Lauren-Oliver
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

Dear Lauren,Again this may be a "Spoiler".I finally did finish your beautiful book..It was difficult during Chapter 5,then I was no longer in denial that Sam was dying,getting ready to fall.going to the other side.Not until she was ready..That to me was the key element for the whole novel.Acceptance.,change..You have probably no idea how "Before I Fall "would effect all of us. You were able as an Author.to harshly and gently give us a glimpse into what might occur,what did occur in Sam's visualization of her life.Thank you Lauren for your insight and brilliant writing skills..I wish you many years of success,in both your Career and  your Life as well..."Delirium "will be of course ,very well received by all your readers as well..Another week with you,Vtc  Susan

Thank you, Susan, for your extremely generous words. I am so glad you finished and you liked it--yes, themes of change and acceptance--and change through acceptance--and release--are certainly critical to the book. I'm very happy you saw that.

I hope your predictions for DELIRIUM are also accurate. :smileyhappy: It's a very different book, but I'm equally as proud of it.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Vtc wrote..Like is not an an accepted word..Loved it,will re-read it and have already emailed my "Bookstore "In Manchester Center,Vt 05255 to carry it,so maybe a book tour stop would be in order.,one day in VT.Many well known writers live here...I cannot mention the name of The Bookstore here because of the competition,and I understand that.We are close to "Stratton Mt". Have you traveled to VT?..My daughters Bookstore is BN  Latham Ny..so I usually buy my books there..Its a strange occurance in life,change through acceptance and release...Thats says so much to me,on a personal level..Thank you again..Susan
Lauren-Oliver wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

Thank you, Susan, for your extremely generous words. I am so glad you finished and you liked it--yes, themes of change and acceptance--and change through acceptance--and release--are certainly critical to the book. I'm very happy you saw that.

I hope your predictions for DELIRIUM are also accurate. :smileyhappy: It's a very different book, but I'm equally as proud of it.

Contributor
ChArLiE_LeViTs
0 Kudos

So I loved the ending of the book! it was amazing! and I'd just like to say thanks for giving us all the chance to read it and give our input!

I have only one question and may have already been asked but i didn't see it so I am going to ask. What happens to Juliet and Sam's friends?  Do they change after Sam dies? or do they just continue to be exactly how they were?

Again many thanks for the oppurtunity!