Frequent Contributor
Rosemary-Brosnan
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Rosemary Brosnan?

Clyo wrote:

If you should choose one of the characters in the book... who would be your favorite and why?

My favorite would definitely be Sam. At first, she is caught up in the pettiness and meanness of high school, and she is too insecure to be herself--she doesn't even know who she really is inside. And then she starts to change, little by little, to become more true to herself and kinder and more aware. Through her, Lauren shows the possibility of redemption. I have to say I didn't dislike her at the beginning; I felt that there was more going on beneath the surface, and I had a feeling that she was trapped. 

Frequent Contributor
Rosemary-Brosnan
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

Good Morning Rosemary,Thank you for being here with us,,Its always such a learning experience for all of us,when an Editor who is so close to Lauren and her book gives us a peek into your world.I am one of the older readers,having grown up in the 60's and 70's.i was raised in NYC,and Brooklyn,so the book has many familiar themes for me.I have also counseled teens  from backgrounds that are revealed in 'Before I Fall."(I also have a 25 yr old daughter).Lauren has the gift of being able to bring her characters to life in such a way,they all just jump off the page,and for me are very visual...Because of FirstLookTeen Reads and Paul,I have been reintroduced to YA writers.I for one join many other readers in saying,these writers are our future,and to catagorize them as only YA Writers must change,The crossover is apparent.The one question I have is "Why aren't these writers given a Bestseller List of their own?Of course in conjunction with the 'Other Lists "they are on.I am referring to The New York Times Sunday Book Review..Do you think that will ever happen?   Thank you for recognizing Lauren Oliver and her talent..'Before I Fall"..I look forward to more of her work,and will Gift this book to some friends..Best   Vtc  Susan

Thanks for your kind words, which are much appreciated.

As an editor, I would love it if the New York Times had a separate bestseller list for crossover novels!  I'm sure that these can be hard for readers to find, unless you work in publishing and you hear about which books are coming out. The NYT Children's Chapter Book list contains mostly YA novels these days, so that is one way to find them. But then readers are only discovering the bestsellers, and there are tons of wonderful books that never make it to the bestseller lists at all. One way to find these books is to browse the teen section in a bookstore (B&N has an extensive teen section), read the jacket flap copy, and think about what might appeal to you. There is such a rich assortment of fabulous fiction in this area.

Contributor
BoilerWriter
0 Kudos

Questions for Rosemary Brosnan?

Ms. Brosnan,

It is such a priviledge to have you and Lauren Oliver with us during the book discussion. This is my first opportunity to participate in the First Look book club. I was delighted that this YA novel was my first, because writing YA material is my hobby. Lauren's novel far exceeded my expectations. She has an exceptionally well-developed writing style given her young age. I have found your responses to the questions thus far to be extremely insightful. It's fascinating to hear about the publication process from someone who works in the field. I have one question at this time. I have completed the novel and found three typos in the material. I'm sure the current edition is already in print, but thought you would like to know for future editing purposes. Is that the type of information you are interested in us sharing in this format as well?

Thank you so much for recognizing Lauren's unique talent and making this novel available to all of us from every age group.

Debbie

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

[ Edited ]
Also a great way to find YA Novels is right here on BN..The readers are amazing reviewers,and we chat about them as well.The Moderators live and breath what is current,not so current,and everyone is very honest...BNBooksellers Recommends is on here as well.I live in Vt,and I haven't a BN close by,only when I visit my daughter in Latham NY..Much is done online.My local Bookstore is great as well..I hope to get to a Book Signing of Lauren's and will check her schedule on her website and also on twitter...Its getting better for these very Talented Writers,and expect to be reading books by Lauren for years to come..We are a loyal group here..Thanks  for your comments...and when you have time,poke around BNBookclubs,blogs etc...it seems like we never leave here,except to go to work,and nourish ourselves...And read  :  )Vtc   Susan
Rosemary-Brannon wrote:

Premonitory wrote:

Good Morning Rosemary,Thank you for being here with us,,Its always such a learning experience for all of us,when an Editor who is so close to Lauren and her book gives us a peek into your world.I am one of the older readers,having grown up in the 60's and 70's.i was raised in NYC,and Brooklyn,so the book has many familiar themes for me.I have also counseled teens  from backgrounds that are revealed in 'Before I Fall."(I also have a 25 yr old daughter).Lauren has the gift of being able to bring her characters to life in such a way,they all just jump off the page,and for me are very visual...Because of FirstLookTeen Reads and Paul,I have been reintroduced to YA writers.I for one join many other readers in saying,these writers are our future,and to catagorize them as only YA Writers must change,The crossover is apparent.The one question I have is "Why aren't these writers given a Bestseller List of their own?Of course in conjunction with the 'Other Lists "they are on.I am referring to The New York Times Sunday Book Review..Do you think that will ever happen?   Thank you for recognizing Lauren Oliver and her talent..'Before I Fall"..I look forward to more of her work,and will Gift this book to some friends..Best   Vtc  Susan

Thanks for your kind words, which are much appreciated.

As an editor, I would love it if the New York Times had a separate bestseller list for crossover novels!  I'm sure that these can be hard for readers to find, unless you work in publishing and you hear about which books are coming out. The NYT Children's Chapter Book list contains mostly YA novels these days, so that is one way to find them. But then readers are only discovering the bestsellers, and there are tons of wonderful books that never make it to the bestseller lists at all. One way to find these books is to browse the teen section in a bookstore (B&N has an extensive teen section), read the jacket flap copy, and think about what might appeal to you. There is such a rich assortment of fabulous fiction in this area.

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
Rosemary-Brosnan
0 Kudos

BoilerWriter wrote:

Ms. Brosnan,

It is such a priviledge to have you and Lauren Oliver with us during the book discussion. This is my first opportunity to participate in the First Look book club. I was delighted that this YA novel was my first, because writing YA material is my hobby. Lauren's novel far exceeded my expectations. She has an exceptionally well-developed writing style given her young age. I have found your responses to the questions thus far to be extremely insightful. It's fascinating to hear about the publication process from someone who works in the field. I have one question at this time. I have completed the novel and found three typos in the material. I'm sure the current edition is already in print, but thought you would like to know for future editing purposes. Is that the type of information you are interested in us sharing in this format as well?

Thank you so much for recognizing Lauren's unique talent and making this novel available to all of us from every age group.

Debbie

Hi, Debbie,

Thanks for being such a close reader and also for offering to let us know about typos! The bound galley that you read is a set of uncorrected proofs of the book. Before we put a book into publication, several of us read these uncorrected galleys, in loose page form: the proofreader, the copy editor, the editor, and the author. Amazingly, with all of those eyes reading galleys, we don't always catch absolutely every mistake, but we try to. The author gets her own set of galleys, and I transfer her changes to the proofreader's set, which is the one I read, too. We usually go through about three (or sometimes more) passes of galleys, making corrections each time. I hope that the typos you found were corrected for the final book (which has now been printed).  But you are welcome to tell me about them, and I will check against the final book. Thank you for reading so closely. If errors are found after publication, the editor puts through what is called a reprint correction. In subsequent reprints of a book, we make the change.

Contributor
BoilerWriter
0 Kudos

Rosemary-Brosnan wrote:

BoilerWriter wrote:

Ms. Brosnan,

Debbie

Hi, Debbie,

Thanks for being such a close reader and also for offering to let us know about typos! The bound galley that you read is a set of uncorrected proofs of the book. Before we put a book into publication, several of us read these uncorrected galleys, in loose page form: the proofreader, the copy editor, the editor, and the author. Amazingly, with all of those eyes reading galleys, we don't always catch absolutely every mistake, but we try to. The author gets her own set of galleys, and I transfer her changes to the proofreader's set, which is the one I read, too. We usually go through about three (or sometimes more) passes of galleys, making corrections each time. I hope that the typos you found were corrected for the final book (which has now been printed).  But you are welcome to tell me about them, and I will check against the final book. Thank you for reading so closely. If errors are found after publication, the editor puts through what is called a reprint correction. In subsequent reprints of a book, we make the change.

These are the ones that caught my attention. Hopefully they were caught prior to publication.

p. 183  Line 4, the third and fourth words are written  'andthe' instead of 'and the'.

p.196   Third line from the bottom of the page, last few words in the sentence are written 'movinghis' instead of 'moving his'.

p. 462  The sixth sentence from the bottom reads 'I break away from Kent Gently, detaching his arm from my waist.' I think the comma was meant to come after Kent with a lowercase 'g' on the word gently so it would read 'I break away from Kent, gently detaching his arm from my waist.'

Hope this info is helpful.

Frequent Contributor
Rosemary-Brosnan
0 Kudos

BoilerWriter wrote:

These are the ones that caught my attention. Hopefully they were caught prior to publication.

p. 183  Line 4, the third and fourth words are written  'andthe' instead of 'and the'.

p.196   Third line from the bottom of the page, last few words in the sentence are written 'movinghis' instead of 'moving his'.

p. 462  The sixth sentence from the bottom reads 'I break away from Kent Gently, detaching his arm from my waist.' I think the comma was meant to come after Kent with a lowercase 'g' on the word gently so it would read 'I break away from Kent, gently detaching his arm from my waist.'

Hope this info is helpful.

These changes have indeed been caught and they were fixed in the galleys. On page 462, the sentence now reads, as Lauren intended, "I break away from Kent gently, detaching his arm from my waist." (I see how you could put the comma after Kent, but it has a slightly different meaning. Thanks again!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

And Pen21,We now know that some of the choices were foolish even some could be considered dangerous,but here we are..Lots of reflection..Vtc
pen21 wrote:

Welcome!

My question is with the age of the characters in the book, do you read a book and intend it for a specific age group?

We have a wide variety of ages on the board for this discussion. I being on the older end of the spectrum, have found this book to really make me think about my choices and the impact those choices had on me and others. Or my friends choices at that age.

And the second question, when you read the book did it make you think of your choices or your friends choices at that age?

Thank you and so glad you have time to participate with us.

pen21

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
KateBrianIsAwesome
0 Kudos

Hi Mrs.Brosnan,

I'd like to know how you came to be an editor. Was it hard to get the job position? Also in the beginning were the chapters in Before i Fall always long? I'm use to reading books that have chapters 3-5 pages long. I'm not complaining though, because I think the long chapters worked great with this book.

Reading can only make you more happy and smarter. :smileyhappy:

Visit my blog at http://teenbibliophile.blogspot.com/

- Mallory
Frequent Contributor
Rosemary-Brosnan
0 Kudos

KateBrianIsAwesome wrote:

Hi Mrs.Brosnan,

I'd like to know how you came to be an editor. Was it hard to get the job position? Also in the beginning were the chapters in Before i Fall always long? I'm use to reading books that have chapters 3-5 pages long. I'm not complaining though, because I think the long chapters worked great with this book.

Hi, Kate,
I have been working as an editor for a long time, and it's the only thing I've ever done as a career. I'm lucky to love my job. I was an English major in college and wasn't sure what I wanted to do when I graduated. I answered an ad in the New York Times for an editorial assistant at a children's books imprint. It has always been difficult to get a job in this field, because there are more people who are interested in editing books than there are open positions.  I think it's harder now, though, than when I graduated.
The chapters in BEFORE I FALL were always the same length as they are now. There's really no set chapter length that authors need to use, and the length of the chapters in this book fits the structure of the book, which is divided into the different days.

Frequent Contributor
KateBrianIsAwesome
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for answering my questions. I'm glad that you love your job. Book editing seems like a dream job for anyone who loves books.

Reading can only make you more happy and smarter. :smileyhappy:

Visit my blog at http://teenbibliophile.blogspot.com/

- Mallory
Inspired Correspondent
CharlieG31
0 Kudos

Dear Rosemary :

First of all welcome to the board hope you have a lot of fun reading all the threads and questions :smileyhappy:

My question is

When Lauren sent the book copy or the script I don't know what they send for the book editing business and you started reading it what did you find inside it that made you said Wow this book is not another teen novel like all these books that have been going out recently , this book has something else that makes me want to go , edit and publish it?

From my point of view this goes beyond a teen novel because of the way the characters are and how they show real emotions for me it is an extraordinary book and a much more extraordinary story.

Greetings

Charlie

"The questions are more essential than the answers."
Karl Theodor Jaspers

Frequent Contributor
Sheltiemama
0 Kudos

Did you relate to any of the characters? Were you popular, picked on or somewhere in the middle of the hierarchy?

Contributor
TheEagerReaders
0 Kudos

Thank you for joining us to discuss Before I Fall this week, Ms. Brosnan!  

I found Before I Fall gripping from the very first page and was impressed that it remained impossible to put down all the way to the final page. Not only is the story unique, but the main characters are instantly memorable.  I am a huge fan of YA, but occasionally I find that each time I raid my local bookstore's YA section, I am purchasing books with very similar character archetypes & stories, so it was refreshing to find something completely different in Before I Fall.  I love vampires & fallen angels as much as the next forbidden-romance lover, but the more the YA market becomes saturated with paranormal romances, the more they all begin to blend together for me.  Certainly that type of story still seems to be profitable and marketable right now, but I am curious to know if you find yourself wading through more formulaic paranormal romance manuscripts than ever before in order to find a diamond in the rough like Before I Fall.  

Based upon your experience, is this paranormal trend something we'll see falling by the wayside anytime soon?  Or will vampires & fallen angels simply be replaced by mermaids & zombies?  I wonder if we will begin seeing more stand-alone (non-series) books, such as Before I Fall, that don't fall directly under the chick lit or the urban fantasy sub-genres.  As much as I actually adore those sub-genres, it was truly delightful to step outside those story molds and read something fresh & different.  I hope to see this book get the recognition & attention it deserves, and I'm wondering if it is more difficult to market a book such as Before I Fall since that you know will probably not be tossed onto the endcap displays with all the vampire books and it won't necessarily be appearing on all the "If you liked Twilight, you should check out... " lists.  

I really enjoyed Before I Fall.  It is rare to find a novel in which the characters can be so infuriating & yet so compelling & heartbreaking all at once.  I will definitely be recommending it to everyone I know, and I look forward to reading more from Lauren Oliver.  Can you tell us anything more about her upcoming dystopian Romeo & Juliet book, Delirium?  That very brief summary leaves me extremely eager to hear more.  :smileyhappy:

Thank you again for joining us.  I have enjoyed reading through your responses.  

http://theeagerreaders.blogspot.com/
Frequent Contributor
Rosemary-Brosnan
0 Kudos

CharlieG31 wrote:

Dear Rosemary :

First of all welcome to the board hope you have a lot of fun reading all the threads and questions :smileyhappy:

My question is

When Lauren sent the book copy or the script I don't know what they send for the book editing business and you started reading it what did you find inside it that made you said Wow this book is not another teen novel like all these books that have been going out recently , this book has something else that makes me want to go , edit and publish it?

I am enjoying reading the threads and questions! I hadn't been on First Look before, and I think it's an amazing community.

In the case of BEFORE I FALL, another editor acquired the book, and when she left the company, I took over as Lauren's editor. When I read the manuscript, it was clear that I was in the presence of a great talent--someone who had an important story to tell, told it beautifully, and wrote incredibly well. I think the book is extraordinary. When a wonderful manuscript comes in to an editor, I think it's not difficult for us to recognize that. We read so much--published and unpublished--and we're trained to recognize talent that is so outstanding, that rises above the crowd.

From my point of view this goes beyond a teen novel because of the way the characters are and how they show real emotions for me it is an extraordinary book and a much more extraordinary story.

Greetings

Charlie

Frequent Contributor
Rosemary-Brosnan
0 Kudos

Sheltiemama wrote:

Did you relate to any of the characters? Were you popular, picked on or somewhere in the middle of the hierarchy?

I loved reading about all of Lauren's characters, but I didn't relate to one of them in particular on a personal level. I was very shy and quiet in elementary school (and always had my head in a book, of course). But in junior high and high school, I came out of my shell and had a lot of friends. We were called the "honors snobs," (named for the honors classes we were in), but we all had each other, so we didn't mind!

I think, though, that Lauren has created characters that readers can empathize with and understand so well, we relate to them whether or not we experienced what they went through.

Frequent Contributor
Rosemary-Brosnan

TheEagerReaders wrote:

Thank you for joining us to discuss Before I Fall this week, Ms. Brosnan!  

************* You are very welcome; it's been a pleasure!  --RB

I love vampires & fallen angels as much as the next forbidden-romance lover, but the more the YA market becomes saturated with paranormal romances, the more they all begin to blend together for me.  Certainly that type of story still seems to be profitable and marketable right now, but I am curious to know if you find yourself wading through more formulaic paranormal romance manuscripts than ever before in order to find a diamond in the rough like Before I Fall.  Based upon your experience, is this paranormal trend something we'll see falling by the wayside anytime soon?  Or will vampires & fallen angels simply be replaced by mermaids & zombies?  I wonder if we will begin seeing more stand-alone (non-series) books, such as Before I Fall, that don't fall directly under the chick lit or the urban fantasy sub-genres.  As much as I actually adore those sub-genres, it was truly delightful to step outside those story molds and read something fresh & different.  I hope to see this book get the recognition & attention it deserves, and I'm wondering if it is more difficult to market a book such as Before I Fall since that you know will probably not be tossed onto the endcap displays with all the vampire books and it won't necessarily be appearing on all the "If you liked Twilight, you should check out... " lists.  

********************You are very right: there are so, so many paranormal books out there right now. It's natural for trends in literature to ebb and flow, and right now, paranormal books are still very much the thing, driven in large part by the success of Twilight. As long as people enjoy paranormal books and want to buy them, publishers will publish them. I work with only one writer of paranormal books--Kelley Armstrong--and I love her books, as I think she is such a good storyteller and so good at what she does. She has created a whole world. But she was writing in the genre for years before it became so popular for teens, and I think that someone as talented as Kelley will endure. However, I do think that the trend itself will end at some point (and I don't know when), and something else will take its place. That's just the way that publishing works. Selling BEFORE I FALL to our accounts has not been difficult at all, even though it is not a paranormal book. It is such an excellent book that booksellers all over have embraced it wholeheartedly, and I can't wait until it is published. In fact, I believe, it has now sold into fourteen languages. So, no, publishing and marketing this book is not difficult. I think it's going to grow by word of mouth, it's so great.  --RB

I really enjoyed Before I Fall.  It is rare to find a novel in which the characters can be so infuriating & yet so compelling & heartbreaking all at once.  I will definitely be recommending it to everyone I know, and I look forward to reading more from Lauren Oliver.  Can you tell us anything more about her upcoming dystopian Romeo & Juliet book, Delirium?  That very brief summary leaves me extremely eager to hear more.  :smileyhappy:

************DELIRIUM is absolutely amazing. It's set in an alternate present in the U.S. in Portland, Maine. When every citizen reaches the age of eighteen, he or she is required to have a procedure called the cure, which makes it impossible to feel love. The government has created an orderly, safe society in which no one feels love--or much of any other emotion, either, and the government clamps down on anyone who resists. They choose everyone's husband or wife for them, based on evaluations. The very sympathetic and memorable heroine, Lena, is counting the days until her eighteenth birthday, when she can have her procedure and not have to feel uncomfortable emotions. But then she meets Alex...

And that's all I'll tell you! :-)

Contributor
ashley558
0 Kudos

What is one thing you like about each main character and why?

Contributor
2britt13
0 Kudos

Out of everything Sam did to change what happens what was your favorite?

Frequent Contributor
Rosemary-Brosnan
0 Kudos

ashley558 wrote:

What is one thing you like about each main character and why?

Interesting question. 

Sam: her ability to transform herself from a "mean girl" and a follower to someone who is so much more true to herself. 

Kent; his lack of concern about what others think of him. That is very difficult to do in high school! he must have a very strong sense of self

Lindsay: her liveliness and fun-loving nature, and the self she hides from others

Ally: her ability to be a good friend

Elody: her niceness

Rob: his hat--that's it!