Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
myalternatereality
0 Kudos

Re: Sex and Romance

Sam and her friends have all had crushes on the math teacher, who has flirted fairly openly. During Cam's new leave-skidpans-method of burning through her last day, she openly makes a pass at him, and he responds. What Cam's response to this, and what was yours? What do you think of Mr. Daimler?

I think at this point after reliving the same day 3 times, Sam is definitely living on the edge. She is taking much bigger risks than normal. Hence the reason she helped take the flirtation with Mr. Daimler to the next level. I think she felt the rush of doing something outside of the norm and was not thinking long-term consequences. After all, for her there were no long-term consequences since tomorrow was the same day all over again. I don't think she anticipated how strong and physically Mr. Daimler would respond. I think she started getting scared when she realized how out of her hands the situation was getting. His weight alone could pin her down and prevent escape. I think once she realizes this it's not all fun and games. 

My reaction is like most of yours. Mr. Daimler is a slimeball. He was seriously going to take her at school? Regardless of age or the willingness of the student, a teacher should not cross the line sexually with a student. I think that there's this notion though that while sex with a teacher is ethically wrong, it makes for "hot" sex since the forbiddenness of the affair heightens the risk and therefore the thrill. It seems like Sam and her friends are aware of this, since even though Sam feels uncomfortable and stupid and used, she still wants to tell Lindsey for "bragging rights." I think though that it shows how unromantic the whole situation really is. Later in the book after this experience, Sam comes to grips with who Mr. Daimler is really as a man and not as an ideal. He takes advantage of the situation and this encounter is about him and not Sam. I think Oliver was right to include the student-teacher flirtation in here novel. I personally hope that it will show that the fantasy does not often match up with reality in this dangerous situation.

Sam also decides, in order to escape again experiencing the awful attack on Juliet Sykes to make a pass at Rob. How does this "steamy" scene turn out for Sam--and the reader? Has your opinion of Rob changed at all? How about your opinion of Sam?

I feel this scene shows what a joke their relationship is. I think sloppy and awkward would be better adjectives than "steamy." My opinion of Rob is the same as ever. He's the kind of high school guy with few goals in life besides winning the game, finding the keg and getting some action. The fact that he fell asleep when he's about to get what he's been waiting for was rather amusing. I think at this point the Juliet situation is too much for Sam. She's had her unpleasant encounter with Mr. Daimler, cut class, smoked pot, gotten into a fight with Lindsay and stolen her mother's credit card. On top of that her conversation with Kent moments before had to be unnerving with her realizing that she doesn't think she can be fixed. That, plus the reliving the day over and over thing, would be enough to send most people over the edge. Maybe she thinks having sex with Rob will distract her from all that. That it's a "normal" thing, especially since pre-dying she was planning to have sex with him that night. She seems really lost and unsure of who she is in this chapter. She's looking for something that Rob cannot give her.

Sam spends time alone with Kent in the dark rooms of his house, away from the noise of the party, and he holds her hand to take her to a guest room and tucks her in so that she can sleep. Are there ways this scene is romantic that the "sex" scenes in this chapter aren't?

Neither of the first two scenes were romantic. The first was wrong and disturbing and about Mr. Daimler simply concerned with his needs. The second was Sam trying to make something normal happen in an attempt to escape her strange new reality. The scene with Kent is very different. I think especially when taken into consideration with the conversation they had earlier that evening it shows how much he cares for her. Clearly, she's physically attracted to Kent but there's also a strong emotional history between them. I think in this moment Kent could have easily taken advantage of Cam's fragile state and had sex with her. He didn't though, even though it's pretty clear he's still smitten with her. After all, he threw a party just because he thought she might show up. He's a gentleman in the way he takes care of her. As the day draws to a close and he tucks her into bed she feels comforted. I think more than anything that day she just wanted someone to really see her and take care of her. She finds this unexpectedly in Kent. To me that's more romantic than either of the "sex" scenes.

Contributor
flarglepuf
0 Kudos

Sam's three steamy scenes?

Sam and her friends have all had crushes on the math teacher, who has flirted fairly openly. During Sam's new leave-skidmarks-method of burning through her last day, she openly makes a pass at him, and he responds. What Sam's response to this, and what was yours? What do you think of Mr. Daimler?

At first I thought it was really hot, pasticularly from the way the girls all fawn over him.  But once he actually made a move on Sam, he came off being disgusting and perverted, especially because he was most turned on the day Sam was acting her skankiest.  To me it seemed like Sam was being kinda hypocritical flirting with Mr. Damlier and then pushing him away, but I can really understand why she did it.

Sam also decides, in order to escape again experiencing the awful attack on Juliet Sykes to make a pass at Rob. How does this "steamy" scene turn out for Sam--and the reader? Has your opinion of Rob changed at all? How about your opinion of Sam?

I think that Sam really didn't think this part of her plan through.  I was distanced from Sam when she thought she could escape her nightmare of a life just by giving herself up for sex.  Even more so that when she and Rob actually did get together, she was emotionless and not into it, as if it was a chore she had to do.  It certainly made my opinion about Rob change: after that scene, I saw Rob as lazy and addicted to sex.  he absolutely didn't care about Sam, he only wanted to get in her pants the whole time, and when Sam actually let him, he was too drunk to even do it.

Sam spends time alone with Kent in the dark rooms of his house, away from the noise of the party, and he holds her hand to take her to a guest room and tucks her in so that she can sleep. Are there ways this scene is romantic that the "sex" scenes in this chapter aren't?

This was really romantic, because Kent was showing that he really cared for Sam.  He was more concerned with her feelings and her well being than he was about getting into her pants.  Kent is a much better guy than Rob or Mr. Damlier.

I would like to say that I really liked the way Lauren Oliver contrasted the horny guys with Kent in relation to Sam.

~~~~~
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!
Contributor
mgarrison
0 Kudos

I think that the scene between Kent and Sam has WAY more romance than the other two sex scenes!!  Kent and Sam share a deep bond, that even though Sam is unaware of it at first, makes their encounters something sweet and innocent.  Also, I believe that Kent sees Sam in an innocent way and he respects her.  I have truly loved the scenes between Kent and Sam...

Frequent Contributor
Annette94
0 Kudos

Sam's three steamy scenes?

Sam and her friends have all had crushes on the math teacher, who has flirted fairly openly. During Sam's new leave-skidmarks-method of burning through her last day, she openly makes a pass at him, and he responds. What Sam's response to this, and what was yours? What do you think of Mr. Daimler?

I think Mr. Daimler is sick! what teacher does that. He attacked her. -.- Then again, Sam wasen't all the smart either.

I think Sam was just trying to escape her problems and

took the opportinity, but I'm glad thayt in the end, she makes Rob look like a damn fool.

I believe the the scenes with Kent were very romantic because it dealt with love, not lust. It incorporated two people that truly care about each other and are showing it in a sweet way, rather than someone trying to escape her problems, and using sex to do so.

Frequent Contributor
Annette94
0 Kudos

Omg! I had the same reaction toward Mr. Daimler. I thought of him, and I thought of this super sexy guy, and then the second he attacked Sam, it was like an auto turn off.

Contributor
FortunaLuna
0 Kudos

This was one of my favorite scenes in the whole book, simply because it wasn't very sexual. What Sam and Kent had wasn't transient, but so very real. Kent values Sam for who she is, unlike Rob, who values Sam for no reasons that truly matter

Frequent Contributor
sarah_in_ca
0 Kudos

These scenes in the darkened house are so romantic because Kent is such a romantic.  He's waited so long to be able to say and connect with Sam that he focuses on the wonderful, touching, sensitive nature of love and really caring about someone, rather that the sexual aspects .This is also the way to Sam's heart because Kent knows her so well.  I wish the romantic attraction would continue, but in the morning it's another February 12th.

Contributor
Keyve
0 Kudos

At first I thought he was such a hottie but when he responded to Sam, I was like yuck what a perv! I mean you can have a crush on your hot teacher but from a crush to actually doing something and more when you are in school? Huh Huh, disgusting! 

It wasn’t steamy for me. I mean nnothing really happens.

For me it was more like a romantic scene. It shoes that Kent wants Sam to feel he’s there and that she’s safe. He really loves her and with that simple moment he demonstrates it. He’s nothing like Rob!