Inspired Contributor
Zia01
0 Kudos

Re: Sex and Romance

[ Edited ]

horsefreak13 wrote:

The scene where Sam and Mr.. Daimler made out was quite interesting to me. I didn't really see it coming as much as some other people did. It actually freaked me out to be honest because thinking of teachers in my school, I could never see that happen. Especially how Sam and Mr.. Daimler did it. Wow, it was quite a scene!

The scenes where Sam and Kent were together I thought were so romantic! I absolutely loved them, even though the "sex" scenes weren't as romantic. In my opinion, the scenes with Kent and Sam were so much more romantic than the "sex" scenes. I don't know why, that's just my opinion.

I didn't really see it coming either. I should've being the pessimist I can be at times. I kept thining naw he wouldn't dare do it. Of course I was wrong :smileyindifferent:

Frequent Contributor
Rebz

Sam and her friends have all had crushes on the math teacher, who has flirted fairly openly. During Sam's new leave-skidmarks-method of burning through her last day, she openly makes a pass at him, and he responds. What Sam's response to this, and what was yours? What do you think of Mr. Daimler?

One word to describe Mr. Daimler = "YUCK".  I think me and Sam basically had the same reaction.  It went from "Hey this is kinda cool" to being "GET THIS MAN AWAY FROM ME!" and being totally grossed out and basically scarred.  I think that Sam's idea of Mr. Daimler is something alot of teenage girls experience so it was cool to go through the process with her.  I think Mr. Daimler is digusting and a pig.

Sam also decides, in order to escape again experiencing the awful attack on Juliet Sykes to make a pass at Rob. How does this "steamy" scene turn out for Sam--and the reader? Has your opinion of Rob changed at all? How about your opinion of Sam?

In this scene, nothing really happens.  Literally. Rob passes out. Sam doesn't get to experience anything new and neither does the reader.  it also shows that Rob has not changed at all and he will always be what he was when we were first introduced to him. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I just don't like him! I can understand why Sam tried to do what she did, but it doesn't make it right.

Sam spends time alone with Kent in the dark rooms of his house, away from the noise of the party, and he holds her hand to take her to a guest room and tucks her in so that she can sleep. Are there ways this scene is romantic that the "sex" scenes in this chapter aren't?

Sam's scenes with kent are by far the most romantic scenes in the book.  It shows what love should really be and not what the rest of the book and story with Rob is about, lust and "status".  Its tender and more real and you can tell that Kent really does care for Sam in a way Rob never will.

-Becca
Contributor
hollyhocks333

Sam and her friends have all had crushes on the math teacher, who has flirted fairly openly. During Sam's new leave-skidmarks-method of burning through her last day, she openly makes a pass at him, and he responds. What Sam's response to this, and what was yours? What do you think of Mr. Daimler?

I think Sam was kinda shocked when he responded to her advances, I think she naively believed it was all just fun innocent flirtation (a good warning for all teen girls on sexual predators).  I think at first too she was kind of thrilled with the whole power and naughtiness of it and it wasn't until she realized how far he was willing to take it that she began to see the true Mr. Daimler.  I wasn't terribly shocked, a teacher should never flirt with a student, and so his previous stuff already gave me a feeling he was unprofessional and a total creep. 

Frequent Contributor
michaela27

At the beginning of the book i never would have thought Mr. Daimler would do that, but as it progresses you start to realize he really is a perv.  Its ridiculous that it was that easy for him to give into her, right in the classroom, knowing she is a student. He obviously shouldn't be a teacher.  And i also pictured him as gorgeous because of Sams earlier descriptions, but once she described him during the whole incident, he disgusted me.

I felt bad for Sam during the incident with Rob.  She was already realizing that he really was not at all this great amazing guy she thought he would be, and this confirmed it. I'm glad though cuz she needed to know, but i still felt bad.  Rob is such a horny idiot lol.  He needs to learn to care more about girls.  Thats why the scene with Kent was so much more romantic even though it was completely innocent, because he truly cares about sam.  I love him i think he's adorable, and he understands what matters in life.  he doesnt just care about sex.

Inspired Correspondent
CharlieG31

I believe Mr. Daimier has always wanted to make out with any of the girls but he is not a fool and he will not take the step forward and take the risk of getting fired and a big lawsuit. So when Sam starts flirting then Mr. Daimler gets the push he actually needed in order to make out with her.  Sam first believes she will be able to handle what is going on but then she realizes it is all getting out of control so she asks him to stop and after that she kind of gets in a stressed/reflexive state because what happened with her and Mr. Daimler was like if she had had her first experience with Rob so now she feels as I think she would have felt if she had had her first time with Rob. Which is why when later on she tells Rob they will have their first time she does not hold back because she has already felt what she needed to feel and now she is not afraid of sex.

Sam also decides, in order to escape again experiencing the awful attack on Juliet Sykes to make a pass at Rob. How does this "steamy" scene turn out for Sam--and the reader? Has your opinion of Rob changed at all? How about your opinion of Sam?

My opinion of Rob has not changed at all I believe he only wants Sam because she is one of the popular girl and she is kind of inocent. For me this scene shows that Sam now has no limits she is not afraid of sex or any relationship now since what happened with her math teacher clearly showed her now she had no limits so now when Sam does it in order to eliminate the Juliet Sykes scene and she has like no feelings in this beginning of sex she now feels she must do it in order to miss the scene she does not want to witness .

Sam spends time alone with Kent in the dark rooms of his house, away from the noise of the party, and he holds her hand to take her to a guest room and tucks her in so that she can sleep. Are there ways this scene is romantic that the "sex" scenes in this chapter aren't?

I believe this scene is romantic because it's the end of the day when Sam usually goes into reflection mode. And now she is like thinking and reflecting with someone who actually cares about her and is not shallow and does not give a bleep about her problems. Sam feels in trust with Kent which is why she decides to stay at his house,  she is kind of connected at the end and now Sam is getting to meet a part of her she did not know.

"The questions are more essential than the answers."
Karl Theodor Jaspers

Frequent Contributor
Sheltiemama

Just this week, yet another teacher in my community has been fired for having sex with at least one of her students. Mr. Daimler is a creep. Thank goodness Sam realized she'd made a big mistake.

Rob is still a typical, clueless teenage boy, and I'm so glad he passed out. I see a fraternity in his future.

The time Sam and Kent spent together was electric and sweet at the same time. Very romantic.

Contributor
TheEagerReaders
0 Kudos

Sam and her friends have all had crushes on the math teacher, who has flirted fairly openly. During Sam's new leave-skidmarks-method of burning through her last day, she openly makes a pass at him, and he responds. What Sam's response to this, and what was yours? What do you think of Mr. Daimler?  Sam is surprised & ultimately made very uncomfortable by Mr. Daimler's advances.  Personally, I think he is completely out of line (yet very believable as a character, which is disturbing).  

Sam also decides, in order to escape again experiencing the awful attack on Juliet Sykes to make a pass at Rob. How does this "steamy" scene turn out for Sam--and the reader? Has your opinion of Rob changed at all? How about your opinion of Sam?  That scene with Rob did not turn out at all how she had hoped or expected, and personally I was relieved.  While I could certainly understand her desire to avoid the scene with Juliet & even her 'get it over with' kind of mentality when it came to her virginity, I was extremely happy that Rob was unable to see that through.  I never liked Rob, but my opinion of him continued to plummet as the story went on.

Sam spends time alone with Kent in the dark rooms of his house, away from the noise of the party, and he holds her hand to take her to a guest room and tucks her in so that she can sleep. Are there ways this scene is romantic that the "sex" scenes in this chapter aren't? Every single one of Sam's scenes with Kent has more sizzle and romantic longing than her scenes with Rob. Kent's longterm crush and the intimacy of their childhood friendship made their scenes together so much more romantic.  When compared to Sam's sloppy cafeteria kisses with Rob or even her tackling him with amorous intentions at Kent's party, her interactions with Kent stand out strongly because of the way that her heart races with his nearness, the way she feels exposed and vulnerable around him, and the way she receives actual tenderness and thoughtfulness from Kent.

http://theeagerreaders.blogspot.com/
Contributor
Christalina_Stuart
0 Kudos

I believe that Sam Kind of got what she deserved when she made a pass on Mr.. Daimler. She got what she wished for and I really don't know why she acted the way she did after she stopped it. She got all upset and mad, which if you think about it, was kind of stupid. She tried to get him to act the way he did and she probably knew he would, so why would she be upset about something she knew would happen and still did it anyways. i think that Mr. Daimler is a pervert and a low class desperate scum. He responded to her in a way that is unexeptable for a teacher in a highschool, let alone a just a teacher.

I believe that sam is way to obsessed with doing anything to get what she wants or needs. she made a stupid pass at her boyfriend rob. He is disgusting and vile and i don't know why she even thought of dating a drunkered and a nasty pervert.

I think that the scene between her and Kent is a different type of romance than the "sex" scenes because what transpired was a loving gentle gesture, not a tongue down throat grab your butt gesture. He treated her with respect and courtesy and let her be.

Frequent Contributor
girlie0620
0 Kudos

Sam's three steamy scenes?

I think Sam is genuinely stunned that he responds to her so quickly and that he actually crosses the line. I don't believe she ever meant to take it to that level- he was her "playing with fire".  

Sam had planned to sleep with Rob in the beginning- even thought she was having doubts- it was still hanging over head. Pushing him to do it there- in that moment- she was attempting to take control of all situations from that moment forward- I believe. Rob is the typical high school jock-  he drank to much- passed and with that Sam got lucky! 

He cares for her as a person- he always had. I think the idea of him taking her to the room (caring for her) and tucking her in is a romantic moment. I think she felt that as well.   

Frequent Contributor
ashley_42
0 Kudos

I thought the teacher was a slimeball. BUT the scene was still hot.  LIke she shouldn't have stopped might as well had funr ight??

Rob ew, can NOT stand him!! at all.  She should just stop talking to him altogether.

I love Kent.  She needs to fall for him as I hafve.

Make HIM HER FIRST!!  I mean itd be amzing its so obvious.

Like I feel like I get Sam.  Id pry do some crazy stuff too if it didn't matter anyways.  So might as well I figure

Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

DStaff- I appreciate your observations.  I saw Sam deciding to relive this day again with reckless abandon.  Being a teacher, I found the scene with Mr. Daimler disgusting, he should have known how to stop this situation, even with Sam pushing things too far.  I also think Sam was hoping that there was more to her relationship with Rob, too bad for her it doesn't look like Rob will ever be able to be the boyfriend she wants.  I didn't see as much romance with Kent as just caring and love.  Kathy

DSaff wrote:

Sam decides to really live on the edge when it comes to Mr. Daimler. He should have kept his distance - he is the adult! But it goes to show that our actions can definitely affect others. She finds it isn't what she thought it would be. She found that she didn't have any control in the situation. It would have been just a physical thing, nothing more, and something she would regret everyday she lived (or relived).

When it came to her new "desire" for Rob, I found myself thinking she was trying to believe in something that wasn't there. I think she knows he doesn't love her and that does seem important to her. I'm glad Rob fell asleep!

Kent is a real gentleman. He is there for her and she should pay attention to him. Not only is he a great friend, but he has the potential to be the romantic partner she is looking for, perhaps the love of her life. (I will have to read more to find out what she figures out.) I thought he was romantic in the way he took care of her and tucked her in. My impression is that he loves her and reaches out to show her that anytime he can. Romance can be subtle. :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

How nicely put.  I did have a crush on one of my high school teachers and my girlfriend and I flirted with him all the time.  I am glad that you see Sam's response as- she may be shocked and a little freaked out but what juicy stuff to pass on to friends!   Kathy

bkwormMD wrote:

I suppose most of us would have experienced having a crush on a teacher or professor at one point in our lives. Mr. Daimler epitomizes that fantasy for a young girl. He seemed smart, all grown up, but still cool. He's the kind of guy that all the students put on a pedestal, and he should just stay there! His ears turning red whenever Sam flirts with him shows that he himself is thrilled and excited by their bantering. It probably didn't take much to push him over the edge, since we really have no idea (although there were hints!) of how far his own fantasies went! So, when the guy comes down from the pedestal, Sam is forced back to reality and is grossed out by him. Mr. Daimler took advantage of the situation--a big no-no for guys, especially teachers! That became his ruin! Like someone else's "perfect" husband who a woman swoons over. Once he shows interest in that other woman, he becomes disgusting because suddenly, he's no longer a perfect husband after all.

Even then, the fact that Sam wanted to brag about it to her friends indicates that, whether she had "fun" or not, she still did something adventurous, and her friends would just envy her boldness and daring. She got something everyone else wanted! Even if I condemn Sam and her friends for living their lives according to what they think other people would envy, who can say that we ourselves, even beyond our teen years, have not had the same, very human, tendency?

Inspired Scribe
djaq
0 Kudos

Sam and her friends have all had crushes on the math teacher, who has flirted fairly openly. During Sam's new leave-skidmarks-method of burning through her last day, she openly makes a pass at him, and he responds. What Sam's response to this, and what was yours? What do you think of Mr. Daimler? Sam was probably shocked more than anything. i'm not sure she had even realized what  was going on until it happened. On this day, she was kind of plowing her way through everything, leaving a big impact on everyone. She jumped into everything without even once considering the thought of conciquences, because to her nothing mattered at that point. Umm I think in that scene everyone was slightly stunned with Mr. Daimler's actions, because before he seemed kind of cool and confident around Sam, and he didn't seem like the type who would just act like that. Well to be honest I kind of liked Mr. Daimler before hand, and well, obviously afterwords I didn't like him at all.

Sam also decides, in order to escape again experiencing the awful attack on Juliet Sykes to make a pass at Rob. How does this "steamy" scene turn out for Sam--and the reader? Has your opinion of Rob changed at all? How about your opinion of Sam? That scene ended up becoming awkward, because Sam was just liike "Ok, we are going to do this. Right now." And as she says in the book, she had never done so much with Rob at one time. So he was probably very surprised by Sam's actions. And then the scene turns into, "Ok. Yeah we are going to do this. Like, right now. Ok, ok, we are going to do this, we are going to do this, we are going to do this...Uh, Rob?" *snores*. I think since the beginning, the reader has seen how Rob isn't the "dream boyfriend" that Sam always imagined him to be. You also can tell that Sam, although she denies it, is obviously not happy with him. So the opinion of Rob, isn't exactly very high in the beginning of the story. And this scene doesn't make him any more apealing.....

Sam spends time alone with Kent in the dark rooms of his house, away from the noise of the party, and he holds her hand to take her to a guest room and tucks her in so that she can sleep. Are there ways this scene is romantic that the "sex" scenes in this chapter aren't? I like Kent. He is such a sweet character, and he actually cares for Sam, as apposed to Rob and Daimler. Neither of the "sex" scenes in the chapter are romantic. Sam felt crushed benieth Mr. Daimler's weight. She also ignored Rob's oder and drunkiness, because at the time, it was what she thought she wanted. So I'm pretty sure standing alone, and spending a moment with someone who loves you, is a lot more romantic than making out, well more than that, with your teacher, and almost having sex with your drunk boy friend.  

"We could do pizza."
Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal
0 Kudos

I feel as if Sam's decision to "act-out" so drastically might depict anger and frustration with her reliving each day over and over.  She decides to purposely put herself in situations that she would not normally act upon.  Sam feels so stuck that she just doesn't care anymore.

"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper
Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

Zeal,  Your comments got me thinking.  I have only read the first four chapters so I don't have any idea how this turns out.  Imagine reliving the same day for the third time thinking that you were possibly dead- how would any of us act on the third day.  Day one was disbelief, day two she tried a few things differently and day three she was outrageous.  I am sitting here thinking what would I do in that situation where it doesn't look like it makes much difference whatever I did.  Kathy

Zeal wrote:

I feel as if Sam's decision to "act-out" so drastically might depict anger and frustration with her reliving each day over and over.  She decides to purposely put herself in situations that she would not normally act upon.  Sam feels so stuck that she just doesn't care anymore.

Wordsmith
J.R._BookWorm
0 Kudos

1. Mr. Daimler freaks me out...at first I thought I was just a crush, but after that scence I don't like him anymore...

2. I didn't like how Sam made a pass at Rob to escape what was happening...

3. I like Kent...I don't think of that moment as a "sex" sence, it seems like more than that...

"I didn't have quite same...upbringing as my adopted siblings here. My begining was something else entirely."
Jasper
~Eclipse~
Contributor
JennM14
0 Kudos

Indeed this was disturbing, NOT romantic, but not unexpected.  I am really glad that it stopped before it went too far, that would have done far more emotional damage to Sam then I think she could have withstood in her already fragile state of mind.  Sadly this happens often in real life these days, it seems many lines are so very blurred. 

This I completely understand she wants an escape, would do anything to NOT have to face what's going to happen.  Rob passing out was I think a blessing since once again if this had happened it wouldn't have done anything to help Sam in the long run.  She only would have felt worse about herself and more animosity towards Rob.   -  Also NOT a romantic scene lol

This really didn't change my mind about him, I think his motives and character were portrayed fairly clearly the whole time.  What did change was Sam's perception of him.  As time went on she began to really open her eyes and her heart and see what was really happening between them. 

I completely fell for Kent when this happened, I really hoped at this point that her last, last day would include Sam and Kent together, admitting feelings and just being together even if for a short while. Of course I also hoped that maybe if this happened it would change the course of events enough to prevent Sam's death. 

In my opinion her scenes with Kent, including this one were the most romantic parts of the book.  I genuinely loved him :-)

Contributor
MKDeanna
0 Kudos

Sam quickly learns that this was a mistake.  It feels like kissing her father or some other adult.  Mr. Daimler is a horny sleaze-bag that should not be teaching high school.

Sam quickly finds out that sex in these situations is not ideal as Rob quickly falls asleep.  I found Rob to be an even bigger jerk (didn't think this was possible).  I was disappointed that Sam would think that having a quickie with Rob would help her to feel better.

This scene is very romantic because of the care and love Kent shows Sam in this chapter.  The sex scences are all about hormones and not at all about love or romance.

Inspired Contributor
Think-Im-Listening
0 Kudos

Sam's three steamy scenes?

Sam was a little disgusted that he responded. she started picking out all the things wrong with it. She didn't think he would actually do anything. I honestly liked and was disgusted that the guy kissed her, I liked it because I personally like older guys that take control. Disgusted because he was a teacher.  

I' not sure if I'm remember this so I'm not going to respond to the first question. and I really didn't like rob from the beginning so yeah :smileytongue:

This one was sweet. In the others they guys just wanted her for her body

"If your heart wears thin, I will hold you up, and I will hide you when it gets too much" -Mariana's Trench
Frequent Contributor
hoot
0 Kudos

Sam's three steamy scenes

Inexcusable behavior on the part of a teacher. I really disliked this part of the book. It made the situation seem as if it was Sams fault. 

Sam looks weak and Rob looks pathetic. The entire scene is pathetic, and also very true to what a lot of first experiences are with teens. It was a good way to show how un-glamorous sex can be when it is rushed and there are no real emotions behind the act. 

Absolutely. That scene show intimacy in a way that was lacking in the other steamy scenes. It shows readers what true intimacy is, and why to aspire to that. That kind of intimacy makes Sam feel good about herself instead of cheap, the way she felt with her teacher and her boyfriend.

www.bellasnovella.com