Reply
Contributor
Scott16475
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎01-06-2010
0 Kudos

Re: The Last Day

I'm fairly certain that I wasn't suppose to like Sam and her friends in the beginning, however, I felt some sort of connection with her from the very beginning. When I was a teenager, I did a lot and said a lot that I didn't necessarily want to do or agree with, but I did it to fit in with my group of friends.

 

"Watching" Sam go through changes on her last day really showed me who she really was as a person; she took the time and told Kent how she really felt, she kicked Rob to the curb, she reached out to Juliet. I don't think that Sam changed just because she knew that she was going to die; I think she changed because she realized that she no longer wanted to be someone that she wasn't. She really was a good kid and on her final day, she decided to act like it.

 

I don't know why, but I would have liked to have gotten to know her family a little more. Her little sister played a small role, the mom had a small role, and the dad had an even smaller role. I know the book was based on Sam and her final days, but I think I would have been more invested in her if we knew how her family would react to her death. If I had died and was given 6 more nights to relive it, I think I would have spent it with my family AND my friends, but that's just me.

 

I don't know if this is the place to say this, but I found this book to be an easy read and I think that says a lot about the author. I'm anxious for my wife and daughter to read it.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal
Posts: 258
Registered: ‎03-18-2009
0 Kudos

Re: The Last Day

 

gmfuhlman,
Great point about the adults!  Sometimes, I think adults can be even worse than young people.  I have used my cell phone and eaten at times while driving.  Adults are harder to excuse because they (We) should know better.  Certainly, no one is perfect all of the time.  I think everyone should just be more conscience of their actions and how they affect others.  Thanks for your thoughts!
gmfuhlman wrote:

Zeal,

 

I so agree with you about eating, talking on cell phones and how about the texting while driving. I see this every day when I am driving to school.There are so many young people who are just so self absorbed with their life that they could careless about other people out there on the road. But I notice this more so now that I am back in college and I listen at all of the partying that they do. Now don't get me wrong I party when I was young but not like these young people.

 

Let me also say that it isn't just the young people who are texting, and talking on the cell phone while driving. See people putting makeup on curling their hair and so much more just wanted clear that up.


 

 

"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper
Contributor
bookcrazyme
Posts: 24
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: The Last Day

What effect does it have on you as a reader to start the story knowing that Sam is going to die?

I confess that at the beginning I wasn't much perturbed due to the fact that the summary of the book had already revealed she wouldd relive her last day seven times, so in my way of thinking I'd already assumed that she never truly died. I'm not sure how much I can say in this thread, whether I can voice my opinions on the end as well (because the end had a GINORMOUS effect on me!), but if not then I'll just stick with saying that knowing Sam was going to "die" didn't exert too great an effect on me due to the circumstances of her death- that she was going to relive it again and again.


What does the conversation about "life flashing before your eyes" just before death tell you about each of the friends in the car?

I'd like to think that it sort of establishes their personalities. Ally is the more shallow of the four because the first thing she says is that she wants to relive a kiss. I guess it could also show her dependency on knowing that she is loved.. Lindsay, on the other hand, reveals a hidden depth with her response, that she wants to attend college quite badly. At first glance, Lindsay is your typical mean girl, popular and reckless and wild. But that she wants to go to college reveals an innate sense of understanding, that the future isn't going to present her with a glamourous life on a platter. 


Why do you think Sam remembers the scene with Vicky Hallinan?

Vicky Hallinan might have just been one of the numerous kids that had been ridiculed by Lindsay, but it struck a chord within Sam because although on the outside she acted as she was expected to have acted- laughed alongside everyone else- she felt guilty on the inside.


What are the subtle and not-so-subtle changes from the fist Friday February 12,  to the second one?

It's a sort of butterfly effect (I think that's what it's called..!) wherein one thing Sam does leads to another thing happening. For example, she's late in the morning so Lindsay wasn't able to steal the parking spot from Sarah, and therefore Sarah wasn't yelled at by her coach.


By the way, our first official Friday during the discussion is Friday February 12th. Can we all promise not to drink and drive, and not to fight over ipods in the car?

HAHA most definitely! Even though it's already passed, I can guarantee I did not drink & drive. Might be because I can't drive yet! Tehe.

Contributor
0104
Posts: 22
Registered: ‎01-06-2010
0 Kudos

Re: The Last Day

I believe that know a bit about the story line a head of time enable me to read through the first part with an open mind.  I was able to focus more on the details, instead of trying to figure things out (as Sam had to).

 

Yes, most teenagers, and some adults, think that nothing bad will ever happen to them as a result of their actions.  Although, they are faced with it almost on a daily basis, with our media, what happens to other is more like a movie to them then reality.  I think, as a whole, society has become so use to 'horror' stories that the reality doesn't set in.

 

I think each small change played its part in the whole picture and without each and every one the story line could have taken a different turn.  We usually do not know how our actions will effect the lives of others until after the fact.  So many times we wish we would have done things differently, reacted differently, etc.  That is what makes this book such an interesting read... Even if you were not 'popular' in school, this story could be molded to fit anyone.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,276
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Last Day

Vtcozy wrote..Great observation..We are all fragile,and vulnerable at different points during our life..And yes I agree,anyone can relate and take away something to enable them to grow,no matter what age...
0104 wrote:

I believe that know a bit about the story line a head of time enable me to read through the first part with an open mind.  I was able to focus more on the details, instead of trying to figure things out (as Sam had to).

 

Yes, most teenagers, and some adults, think that nothing bad will ever happen to them as a result of their actions.  Although, they are faced with it almost on a daily basis, with our media, what happens to other is more like a movie to them then reality.  I think, as a whole, society has become so use to 'horror' stories that the reality doesn't set in.

 

I think each small change played its part in the whole picture and without each and every one the story line could have taken a different turn.  We usually do not know how our actions will effect the lives of others until after the fact.  So many times we wish we would have done things differently, reacted differently, etc.  That is what makes this book such an interesting read... Even if you were not 'popular' in school, this story could be molded to fit anyone.


 

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Wordsmith
kpatton
Posts: 206
Registered: ‎11-27-2006

Re: The Last Day

I know most of you won't find this unusual, but I just finished another book that I have been reading along with BIF.  There was quote from Socrates on death that I thought was appropriate for this discussion- "To fear death is nothing other than to think oneself wise when one is not.  For it is to think one know what one does not know.  No one know whether death may not even turn out to be the greatest of blessings for  human being.  And yet people fear it as if they knew for certain it is the greatest evil." 

Kathy

Correspondent
MissShopaholic
Posts: 73
Registered: ‎01-22-2009
0 Kudos

Re: The Last Day

i too believe that the knowing that she died is not a problem, and not to be viewed as negative.  Some stories begin that way and thats ok.  Sometimes, in order to understand a story the author, narrator may choose to include a flash back or a foreshadow before diving in.  The story is about her dying, in my opinion, but about her changing. I loved reading about same and seeing her change and realizing what was important in life. 


kpatton wrote:

 

I have been waiting for this discussion to start!  I was a part of Eternal on the Water which also started with knowing the main character would die.  I really don't have a problem with that type of beginning.  In some ways it is like a mystery to know what leads up to this.  I have only read through the first two chapters on purpose and after reading the second chapter, I am now wondering if Sam is really going to die.  The scene of the car crash continues to slightly change.
I love this dejavu writing in the second chapter where Sam keeps wondering if anyone else can sense that this has already happened.
I need my book to answer any of the other questions so will get to those later today.
I think we should all take the Oprah pledge and agree to never text or talk on cell phones when driving.
Kathy

Rachel-K wrote:

What effect does it have on you as a reader to start the story knowing that Sam is going to die?

 

 

By the way, our first official Friday during the discussion is Friday February 12th. Can we all promise not to drink and drive, and not to fight over ipods in the car?


 

 


 

Contributor
TatyyGirl
Posts: 23
Registered: ‎02-01-2009
0 Kudos

Re: The Last Day

It was scary, finishing this book the day it takes place. Anyway, starting the book knowing that Sam was going to die was fine with me, seeing as I didn't exactly like Sam at the beginning. However, as it got closer to the end of the book, I found myself almost begging for her to survive somehow, but to also see Juliet live as well. Heck, I didn't want anyone dying by the time I got to the end.

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Last Day

 


kpatton wrote:

I know most of you won't find this unusual, but I just finished another book that I have been reading along with BIF.  There was quote from Socrates on death that I thought was appropriate for this discussion- "To fear death is nothing other than to think oneself wise when one is not.  For it is to think one know what one does not know.  No one know whether death may not even turn out to be the greatest of blessings for  human being.  And yet people fear it as if they knew for certain it is the greatest evil." 

Kathy


 

Excellent quote Kathy! It is very appropriate for this book and a great point to ponder.

 

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,276
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Last Day

Vtcozy wrote: To Kathy and Wrightly,A very appropriate quote.Kathy,for me it has always been,We might live on, in another place and time ,and our spirit never dies.;.Wrightly,Your comments and analysis of BIF were wonderful..
Wrighty wrote:

 


kpatton wrote:

I know most of you won't find this unusual, but I just finished another book that I have been reading along with BIF.  There was quote from Socrates on death that I thought was appropriate for this discussion- "To fear death is nothing other than to think oneself wise when one is not.  For it is to think one know what one does not know.  No one know whether death may not even turn out to be the greatest of blessings for  human being.  And yet people fear it as if they knew for certain it is the greatest evil." 

Kathy


 

Excellent quote Kathy! It is very appropriate for this book and a great point to ponder.

 


 

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Last Day

 

Thanks so much Vtcozy! I've enjoyed your comments as well. This has been such an interesting club for a great book!

Vermontcozy wrote:
Vtcozy wrote: To Kathy and Wrightly,A very appropriate quote.Kathy,for me it has always been,We might live on, in another place and time ,and our spirit never dies.;.Wrightly,Your comments and analysis of BIF were wonderful..

 

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,276
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Last Day


Wrighty wrote:

 

Thanks so much Vtcozy! I've enjoyed your comments as well. This has been such an interesting club for a great book!

Vermontcozy wrote:
Vtcozy wrote: To Kathy and Wrightly,A very appropriate quote.Kathy,for me it has always been,We might live on, in another place and time ,and our spirit never dies.;.Wrightly,Your comments and analysis of BIF were wonderful..

 

vtcozy wrote..Thanks for responding..Now I just have to "Review BIF"..I must be brief,otherwise I will give too much away..I have written 2,so just must decide...Looking forward to seeing  both of you on other FirstLooks..Lauren will be here for another week,so we can say "Good Luck",in our own way..Its such a wonderful book..Wrightly,I hope your wife and daughter have a chance to read BIF...Best..Susan

 

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Reader 2
gLeek
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: The Last Day

I find it amazing how she was able to write one day seven times. Usuall when I read something that happens over again, I tend to skip through it. But that was just impossible to do in this book. I couldn't just skip through the pages, instead, I was glued. I couldn't stop reading.

Contributor
Keyve
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎08-22-2009
0 Kudos

Re: The Last Day

What effect does it have on you as a reader to start the story knowing that Sam is going to die? It made me very anxious as a reader. In this beginning she's just so mean but as the story goes you start to simphatize with her character but in the end the bittersweet feeling it leaves you is soo u.u

 

What does the conversation about "life flashing before your eyes" just before death tell you about each of the friends in the car?

 

That they didn't appreciate what they have...

 

Why do you think Sam remembers the scene with Vicky Hallinan? How mean and self conceited person she had become

 

What are the subtle and not-so-subtle changes from the fist Friday February 12,  to the second one? How the girl got the parking spot and didn't get in trouble with her swim coach .

 

Which of those changes feel most significant to you? What change do you think would make a difference in how the day ends? (Please guard against spoilers!)

How she started helping people...for me it make a difference

 

Contributor
FortunaLuna
Posts: 22
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: The Last Day

What effect does it have on you as a reader to start the story knowing that Sam is going to die?

 

It made me pay a lot more attention to Sam's decisions and the ways she changed and grew as a person from beginning to end. Everytime she came to a new understanding, it was almost as if she came one step closer to death...which had a profound impact on me as I read.

New User
allthatblah
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎06-02-2010
0 Kudos

Re: The Last Day

What effect does it have on you as a reader to start the story knowing that Sam is going to die?

I agree with the previous comment saying that it would have been better i fOliver had ommitted the prologue. The wonderment of the readers would have been higher, hence make the story more exciting.

 

What does the conversation about "life flashing before your eyes" just before death tell you about each of the friends in the car?

Even when faced with THE question, Ally & Elody never truly acknowledged the fact that it could be true, death could happen--anytime. And Lindsay? Her insecurity was reflected.

 

Why do you think Sam remembers the scene with Vicky Hallinan?

Subconscioulsy, she saw her own shadow in Vicky's.

 

What are the subtle and not-so-subtle changes from the first Friday February 12,  to the second one?

The part with the parking space. Sam's perception on Rob. She pretty much went along with the flow on the 2nd day.

 

Which of those changes feel most significant to you?

Sam's conversation w/ Sykes. May not c\have changed the ending so much, but definitely significant.