Frequent Contributor
Lovez-to-Read

Re: The Last Day

[ Edited ]

What effect does it have on you as a reader to start the story knowing that Sam is going to die?

Honestly I didn’t think she was going to do it, but when I knew that she was I got really sad! Knowing how much she changed and grew up, just so that she could die; it was a sad feeling. 

What does the conversation about "life flashing before your eyes" just before death tell you about each of the friends in the car?

Well first I hope that Elody wasn’t serious (haha). Second that Lindsay really is kind of a mean person by saying she didn’t want to go down alone. Ally misses her boyfriend...ex-boyfriend.

What are the subtle and not-so-subtle changes from the fist Friday February 12,  to the second one?

There really wasn’t much of a difference but Sam was mean to Marian and Kent, and decided not to do it.

Which of those changes feel most significant to you? What change do you think would make a difference in how the day ends? (Please guard against spoilers!)

Well talking to Juliet, ditching school and not much of difference happens to her in the 1st two chapters. 

By the way, our first official Friday during the discussion is Friday February 12th. Can we all promise not to drink and drive, and not to fight over ipods in the car

I think it’s funny that people that read the book might freak about driving haha :smileyhappy: && I’m one of them!

The book should have come out a bit sooner, to us and the rest of the people.

Frequent Contributor
girlie0620

I think, for me, knowing she is going to die...I paid more attention to the details-

The conversation about your life flashing before your eyes- is showing that we never believe the bad things can happen to us- we drink- drive fast- invincible. I think she saw Vicky because that was when she realized she joined in on hurting someone because everyone else was doing it-

The first Friday to the 2nd Friday had small changes but she begins to take notice how things change.... events impact other events.

Contributor
veronica1890

It makes me feel bad knowing that she's going to die because she still has a whole life to live still. 

I think that she remembers the scene about Vicky because it was quietly but surely tugging on her conscience for a while.

By the way, our first official Friday during the discussion is Friday February 12th. Can we all promise not to drink and drive, and not to fight over ipods in the car?

haha yeahh of course not, what a stupid thing to do. I promise!

Inspired Contributor
Think-Im-Listening

What effect does it have on you as a reader to start the story knowing that Sam is going to die?

I still thought she was going to live in the end. I still had that pathetic hope that had me crying.

Why do you think Sam remembers the scene with Vicky Hallinan?

it was the first girl she laughed at with Lindsay. If she stood up for the girl then maybe Lindsay would have held a grudge against Sam and not have befriended her.

What are the subtle and not-so-subtle changes from the fist Friday February 12,  to the second one?

UGH, now I want to reread the book and find out. The thing I notice most is how nervous Sam is. And she didn't bother Katie and Alex at the Chinese place. That one girl got her parking space.

"If your heart wears thin, I will hold you up, and I will hide you when it gets too much" -Mariana's Trench
Frequent Contributor
Lildove3

It makes the curiosity grow like in who,what where and now factor.

They don't have a care in the world,these girls were basic teenagers.

Sam first Feb.12th felt unreal,but the second became of a more reality check for her.

Some of the changes really didn't feel significant,by Sam replaying the whole ordeal,she seems to want to

change things herself.

Frequent Contributor
Annette94

Knowing that she was going to die from the very begining made me curious. I wanted to know where the story was going to go from there. And the life flashing before your eyes thing, made me realize that they were mean girls, or rather, Lindsay was. The subtle change form the first day to the second was the slow realization that she was not going insane and that this all had a purpose, the not so subtle one was the fact that she started seeing that every little thing she does changes something in the future. I think the one that has the most significant is the she realizes she can change this. For example, when she wakes up late, Sarah gets the parking space and gets to stay on the team. And haha, what a coincedence! :smileyvery-happy: I promise.

Wordsmith
J.R._BookWorm

1. I'm not really sure how I'd feel knowing Sam was gonna die...

4. Different things little and big things...

"I didn't have quite same...upbringing as my adopted siblings here. My begining was something else entirely."
Jasper
~Eclipse~
Frequent Contributor
michaela27

I didnt believe she would die.If she changes things and becomes better, shouldnt she get to live?

I think the convo btw. them in the car about life flashing before their eyes shows that they have to hard time having serious conversations.

I think Sam remembers the Vicky thing because she is subcontiously realizing she has not been a good person her whole life.

The changes are very subtle,and they are all significant because they show that if she wants to, Sam has the power to change everything.

Frequent Contributor
Rebz

Knowing that Sam is going to die when I started the story made me really view the story in a different light.  I felt like I was concentrating more on how Sam would try to "fix" things rather than trying to follow a story line, simply because after the first Cupid Day I knew the story line and all of the major events.  In my mind, I was trying to figure out why things were different, or how I would change things to be different.  Definitely changed my perspective on things.

What does the conversation about "life flashing before your eyes" just before death tell you about each of the friends in the car?
You are allowed to see something very intimate in each of Sam's friends through this conversation. It becomes easy to tell their characters and their traits and values from only what they say.  They see life as a big joke, not something to be taken seriously or savored at all. They don't realize what is really important.  They think they are invincible.  This whole conversation shows how shallow they all are, such as them wanting to "relive the first hookup with Matt Wilde".  They were being completely melodramatic about they whole thing and incredibly shallow.

I think that Sam remembers the scene with Vicky Hallinan because thats kind of where everything went wrong for her.  Its the first time she stepped out of her "outcast" social status and teamed up with Lindsay to kind of "torture" someone else to make themselves feel better.  It was total foreshadowing of what was to come in her life, and what she'd eventually have to fix before she died.

Well, on the first Feb. 12, Sam was just shallow and mean like she normally was. But on the second day, instead of just being shallow and mean she was also careless and bitter.  She really didn't care what happened, at all.  But she did know her death was coming and kinda of psyched herself up for it, but didn't do much to change it. For example, she still dumped the drink on Juliet.  A slightly positive change in the day was her remembering the line of the prayer "If I should die before I wake"

Which of those changes feel most significant to you? What change do you think would make a difference in how the day ends?
I think the most significant change in that day is simply the knowledge that she was going to die.  Unfortunately, that didn't change the way she did too many things. She was still nasty to Kent and still was extraordinarily mean to Juliet.  I think that if she wasn't as mean to these two peoples, the day might have ended somewhat differently....maybe somewhat better.  But then again, she really wasn't as mature at that point than she was in later chapters, was she?

By the way, our first official Friday during the discussion is Friday February 12th. Can we all promise not to drink and drive, and not to fight over ipods in the car?
I PROMISE!! CROSS MY HEART AND HOPE *not* TO DIE! (Well, its not like I can drive anyway, so that helps me out a little better, doesn't it?)

-Becca
B&N Bookseller
Dana_W

Knowing that Sam is going to die left me partly wondering what she could really change be repeating her last day. Once I kept reading, the possibility that her actions could maybe do some good and lead to understanding about how her actions contributed to her death.

I am not sure about the flashes of light as it pertains to her friends.

Remembering the scene with Vicki makes me think that sometimes you remember the strangest things when you look back on your life.  Not always the best shining moments either.

I felt like she was reading more into the actions of the people around her and maybe starting to question the things that she once found important. Her interaction with Juliet is an example.  Her actions were similar but something started to click.

Changes that made a difference...whether or not to go with her friends or stay home from school and or the party.  How she sees the "unpopular" people that she interacts with.

Yes...for certain about the drinking and driving and ipods. No question.  Don't forget about those cell phones too!

Dana W.
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21

I think we remember the strangest things when we are under stress.

Random thoughts, like when my parents were dying, a thought from the past would pop into my mind. And I would wonder why I was thinking about that now. I thought Sam thinking of Vicki Hallinan is like that, but remember those moments with Vicki will be very pertinent to Sam's story here. I am hoping that as the book progresses she helps change the situation with Juliet. I am proud of Juliet for standing up for herself, maybe calling them bitches wasn't the best way to do that. But she did stand up for herself.

Well I will see as the book progresses if Juliet scene with the girls will change.

pen21

Frequent Contributor
CharminKB

Knowing that Sam dies - right away - only heightened my curiosity.  I felt a need to push on and keep reading to find out the circumstances that put her in that place at that time.

The irony of the girls talking about death in the car, I think, shows the typical mindset of that age---you can talk - and laugh - about dying and "you life flashing before you eyes" - but you really don't think it will happen to you.  As it does happen to Sam, she sees Vicky Hallinan.....I think this little piece of information is the first in many clues that tells us who Sam really is inside. 

For me personally, I felt the second Friday was focused on her coming to realize what had happened...in fact, she was still debating on whether or not any of it was real.  This second time around was really for her to come to grips and begin to realize the predicament she was in.  I think the big changes are yet to come....

Wordsmith
kpatton

It is always so interesting to read people's posts because they help me think differently.  I have only read the first two chapters (need to get going for next week).  After the first chapter, knowing that Sam was going to die, I was sad.  Young people see themselves as invincible (don't we all to some point?) and Sam has so much of life left to live.  Then as I read chapter 2, I started to wonder if even chapter 1 was a dream and that maybe there would be no car accident.  Just in rereading the prologue, it made me think about "life flashing before your eyes".  Makes me want to reread both first chapters to see what I missed.  Rachel-this questions are really making me think.
Kathy

Frequent Contributor
TriciaLynn77

It just had little effect on me reading the story, but I did notice things that maybe she should haven't taken for granted on that last day, especially while she was reliving the day, I thought maybe she could have done things a little differently the second time around.

I don't really think the girls were really worried, they are teenagers who think they can do anything and that they are invincible, I don't think they really took the question very seriously.

I think deep down Sam isn't too bad of a person, and she regrets being mean to Vicky, it kind of shows her that she wasn't very nice to most people and that she was caught up in her popularity too much to think of anyone elses feelings.

What are the subtle and not-so-subtle changes from the first Friday February 12,  to the second one?

Because they were late and didn't get the last parking spot, Sarah wasn't late the second day and didn't get suspended from the swim team. Alex and Katie weren't caught because Lindsay and Sam didn't talk to them at the chinese restaurant.

Which of those changes feel most significant to you? What change do you think would make a difference in how the day ends? (Please guard against spoilers!)

I think the change of Sarah not being late and being able to participate in the swim match was significant because the first time Lindsay was pretty mean to take that spot, and because she didn't this time, something bad didn't happen, so I think Sam will realize that being a little nicer might change things.

Reader 2
jmke35

I think part of me was hoping that if she went back and changed the way she lived she might be able to change her fate as well. I was a little disappointed that it didn't turn out that way.

Inspired Correspondent
jb70

Knowing that Sam is going to die does not take away from the story for me, although i do find myself hoping that if she changes things for the better she might not die because she might have made better choices.  I wonder if maybe her death will be simply the death of her life as it was and a rebirth of her living as her true self (this is not a spoiler, I haven't quite finished chapter two yet so this is just wishful/hopeful thinking on my part.)  It reminded me a bit of the last First Look, Eternal on the Water, where we knew about a characters death from the opening page of the novel.  I don't know how anyone could know what would happen right before death since anyone who has actally died is no longer here to tell and anyone who expereinced a near death experience but didn't die doesn't know what mught have happened had they died (does that make sense).  I think Sam remembers Vicki becauseit was a time when her true self split off from her popular, plastic self, maybe even a time when a big break in her personality occured and that was then and this is now.  The changes i noticed in the second day were Sarah and the parking spot, how she didn't get detention and can compete in the swim meet, how Brianna does not find out that Alex and Katie are meeting behind her back so she isn't crying at the party, and how Sam treat Kent after the rose she gets from him.  I think how she treats Kent might be a bigger difference, espcailly if at some point she talks to him about living the day again and again, maybe he can help her change the outcome.  I am hoping at some point she changes how she treats Juliette.  I think the timing of our reading this book is great since we actually have a Friday the 12th.  Hoepfully those of us who are adults are already not drinking and driving or texting and driving, but I would also like to see no cell phones and driving as well.  Half or more of the people who drive by me when I take my kids to the bus stop in the morning are on their phones and going too fast and most of them are adults not teenagers.

http://bookbookseverywhere.blogspot.com/
Contributor
emstclair

What effect does it have on you as a reader to start the story knowing that Sam is going to die? Knowing that Sam was going to die didn't have a huge effect on me. It made me a little anxious at first, but then when she 'woke up' on February 12th for the second time, I was glad that I knew she had died. I would've been left wondering what happened to her - did she die? is she in a coma? etc. So in the end, I was glad to have known.

What does the conversation about "life flashing before your eyes" just before death tell you about each of the friends in the car? It shows you how much they take for granted as well as how shallow they are. Although, I was kind of surprised that Lindsay said she would think about getting into college. Maybe there's more depth to Lindsay than the reader sees so far. One can only hope.

Why do you think Sam remembers the scene with Vicky Hallinan? She feels guilty. I think this also shows the readers than there's more to Sam than meets the eye. This gives the readers hope that Sam can change and is a better person than she's leading on to be.

What are the subtle and not-so-subtle changes from the fist Friday February 12,  to the second one? Sam was late getting up, which made all of them late to school. Sarah gets the parking spot and therefore, doesn't get yelled at by her swim coach. I'm sure there will be others as the story progresses and I can't wait to find out what they are.

Which of those changes feel most significant to you? What change do you think would make a difference in how the day ends? (Please guard against spoilers!) I think Sam is starting to appreciate everyone in her life more, sometimes she's even a little bit nice to them.  Not much really changed a whole lot on day two, but I think that Sam realizes by the end of day two that she can change the way things happen when she wakes up on day three.

Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh

Knowing Sam was going to die in the beginning didn't effect me. I've read lots of books recently that start with the ending. I find this just drives me forward to find out how and why this character has died. In Sam's case, from reading the back of the book I learned she would relive her last day seven times. This was intriguing to me and since I haven't started Chapter 3 yet and don't know what will happen, I'm wondering if she changes enough of her life in the next week, if the outcome of her death will change.

In addition to some of the other changes that I've seen posted here, I've noticed the first day Sam sees Rob in the cafeteria and ignores him when he nods to her, playing hard to get. The second day, she rushes up to him the hall to get away from Kent, but he is soon distracted by his friends. Also this first day at the party Sam is ditched by her friends which makes her feel uncomfortable with no one to talk to. The second day she insists on going with Lindsay to find Patrick so she won't be left alone.

I think the biggest change Sam has knowingly made was not letting Lindsay go into Hunan Kitchen to talk to Alex and Katie. By not letting her do so, Alex and Katie were not caught by the Nicotine Nazi and Brianna did not find out Alex was cheating on her. I think the biggest change Sam could have made was not to shove Juliet at the party. I am holding out hope that in the coming chapters she will rectify this situation.

April
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

[ Edited ]

Rachel-K wrote:

After reading the first two parts, I am hoping that she actually gets a second chance at life by redeeming herself as she relives her last hours over and over. I always prefer a good miracle! This statement, however, from Paul's intro, is what gives me that hope: 

"Reliving her last day during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death-and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing."

Contributor
Bethie2
0 Kudos

I was a little put off at first knowing Sam was going to die at the end of the book.  A part of me hoped that she would be able to change things and survive to see Feb. 13.

It gives a little insight into the character of each girl.  These little things are built upon as the book continues.

I think this show how mean the girls had become.

Not getting the last parking impacts how things occur for others.  This is when Sam realizes that she can change things.

I think changing her relationship with Rob and Kent early on would have made a big difference in how the day ends.

Absolutely no texting in the car.  It is very scary to thing that young people are actually driving around so distracted.