Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Re: About Eternal on the Water and Joseph Monninger

[ Edited ]

I love the rugged wilderness of Maine, I love exotic islands and I love National Parks.  Not too keen on impending fatal illnesses but I love First Look too so I'll take the good with the bad.

Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Frequent Contributor
LRH1223
0 Kudos

I hope I am selected to be one of the first lookers! Being a nature lover myself, this book gives all the hope of beautifully described settings along with romance, and who doesn't like a good cry?  Looking forward to participating in my first book club!  This is all new to me so I'm not quite sure just what to expect!

"What we love, we shall grow to resemble."
Bernard of Clairvaux
Correspondent
mamawli
0 Kudos

This book sounds wonderful.  The cold and possibly snowy January is perfect for a good book.  I hope that I will be able to snuggle up to this delightful book.

Frequent Contributor
nikki824
0 Kudos

i agree this selection is gonna be a good one.

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Sunltcloud wrote:

Eternal on the Water sounds great. Travel and Romance.....I'm still waiting for that combination in my own life, but I probably never stay long enough wherever I go. I just ordered Joseph Monninger's memoir Home Waters to get me ready for January. I'm waiting for nook to arrive on my doorstep (now postponed to Dec 14) but can't resist the lure of deadtree books. Paul, I'm still hoping for that first look nook book hook.

PaulH wrote:

You'll love Home Waters. Nellie was one special dog!

If the book is anything like John Steinbeck's Travels with Charley  I know I will.

Cora150 wrote:

So much to read, so little time.  I'm going to start investigating audio books real soon though I still love to curl up with a good.

Cora

I know what you mean, Cora. I have one whole shelf full of books on my TBR list. On top of that I downloaded a bunch of free ebooks from B&N to my computer in anticipation of nook.

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

I love Rachel Carson. She made environmentalism respectable way back when. When I was younger I went through phases in my reading and I remember that her "Silent Spring:" started me on a nature phase. Now I am no longer into one genre at a time; I go from scifi to memoir to romance without blinking an eye.
Do you mind telling what you are writing? Will we see you in the First Look category some day?

Coral50 wrote:
Hi Sunitcloud, I just put Home Waters by Joseph Monninger on my BN Wish List. I'm really looking forward to Eternal on the Water. It falls into my recent read, a classical by Rachel Carson Under the Sea - Wind. I am having so much fun with reading and writing, these days. Cora

Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

I love Rachel Carson. She made environmentalism respectable way back when. When I was younger I went through phases in my reading and I remember that her "Silent Spring:" started me on a nature phase. Now I am no longer into one genre at a time; I go from scifi to memoir to romance without blinking an eye.

Do you mind telling what you are writing? Will we see you in the First Look category some day?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for asking but there isn't much to tell right now, I have only three characters so far, and it will be fiction, and have some romance. I'm late in life coming to reading/writing and after reading Under the Sea-Wind I'm thinking of adding some nature writing from the foothills around were I live. So you can see it's a long ways off, and the process is fun.

The different genres I've been reading lately is inspiring me to try different types of styles. I've read my first 'historial fiction' here at FL and it gave me a different perspective of fiction. Oh, so much to learn and plenty of time to learn it in. Life is good.

And to answer your question, I wouldn't mind the publicity of First Look, sounds like a great goal,

Cora

Frequent Contributor
Frostbacksgirl
0 Kudos

This book sounds fascinating.

~Sara~

~Sara~
Frequent Contributor
dj5775
0 Kudos

Sounds like a good one, I got my confirmation and can't wait until the book arrives. I can't wait to start reading!

ct
Correspondent
joyfull
0 Kudos

This sounds like the perfect winter read - romance, tragedy and a view of the outdoors from inside the house. I do see a lot of crying in my future, however. That's okay. It's part of the emotional experience of reading a good book.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Margot
My blog: JoyfullyRetired.com
Frequent Contributor
CleverTwenty
0 Kudos

I can't wait to dig into this book. Nothings better then a romance book.

Http://cleverlyinked.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
spicy_t
0 Kudos

It really does sound like an awesome book!  Just the setting is fabulous!  I have always wanted to go to Maine...New Hampshire...New England...but I would gladly settle for doing it through a book for now! 

Tammy
Distinguished Correspondent
biljounc63
0 Kudos

spicy_t wrote:

I have always wanted to go to Maine...New Hampshire...New England...but I would gladly settle for doing it through a book for now! 

Me too! Oh yea I forgot I live in New England! I do like to read books that are set in a familiar area. Not to say that I don't like vitsiting other places through the words on a page

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~

"Reading lets you visit the world of another"
Contributor
mnbc
0 Kudos

Sounds like another First Look Winner! Thanks Joseph & B&N!!!

Book Lover
Inspired Contributor
Zia01
0 Kudos

This book sounds like an amazing read and I hope a confirmation arrives so I can join in. It looks like a perfect read for those cold winter nights.

Frequent Contributor
BOOKWORM1414
0 Kudos

I received my confirmation today and can not wait to receive the book and begin reading it.  I read romance books of all sorts.  This will be my first Joseph Monninger read and probably not my last.  It will be on my night stand with a cup of hot chocolate just waiting for me to enjoy.  Thank you Mr. Monninger for this opportunity to have the First Look.

Contributor
TamCG
0 Kudos

Ohhhh - I'm really excited - it seems we may all ned a tissue box with this one. 

Inspired Contributor
dragonfly_yayn
0 Kudos

Sounds very interesting and I need to read something romantic!

Contributor
boadiccea
0 Kudos

I was also going to say looks like I'll have to have the tissue box at the ready!

Looking forward to it...

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Audiobooks are great!  I tend to get classics or YA/children's books so I can listen to them without concern that my kids might hear something disturbing.  I have listened to many Agatha Christie novels, all the Harry Potter books (though, I have read those the old-fashioned way, too), Peter and the Starcatchers Box Set   and tag-teamed between a book and an audiobook to read Persuasion (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) , as well as many others.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI