Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Re: Chungamunga Girls

Very well said. That connection to water that we all have.

Good to hear from you. pen21

marciliogq wrote:

Humans are more than 70% water, so water is a symbol of life and life a symbol of eternity. I think there's a fascination from Chungamunga Girls for water as a desire for life knowing they have a short time of life. As a way to run away the death.

Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

Oh! Thanks! Pen21,has anybody questioned the name of these girls?

Inspired Contributor
drbjaded
0 Kudos

It's a unique club that is for "special" girls.  They are given special treatment and wishes.  They have their rituals and little secrets that no one else knows.  They are somewhat of folklore and legend to those that visit the area.  It's like spotting a mermaid if you spot a Chungamunga girl.  It's good luck. 

I guess when the girls are diagnosed with their disease they are invited into the organization.  It's a huge ritual that really puts a spotlight on the girls and maybe takes their minds away from their diagnosis if just for a little while.

These girls live in the here and now.  They don't think about tomorrow or someday or the past.  Something I have a difficulty grasping on of living in the now.  I think these girls realize that they are dying and they learn to accept their fate.  They know they have a certain amount of time and they make the best of it.  They do everything they can do in their short lifespan to give their life meaning.  I think Mary has not fully accepted her diagnosis.  She doesn't want to go through the process of dying.  She wants to just go on her terms and not the disease take its course.  I think the other girls are letting their life take its course but they choose their course rationally.  I think Mary is being irrational about her choice.  She doesn't want to go through the dying process.  I think dying to the girls is a part of their journey.

Her Hunington's diagnosis made her a Chungamunga girl.

My understanding is that they will live forever on the water.  They may be dying and die someday but they will always live in spirit on the water. 

I thought they were ordinary girls when they first mentioned them but when they talk about life they see it in a different perspective.  They are ordinary in that they talk about boys and make-up and school.  It's not apparent that they are sick. 

I'm not sure what to make of Wally.  Maybe she's playing the bear part for the girl's benefit that's why she looks the way she does.  I'm not really sure.

"You cannot love life until you live the life you love."
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

I don't think so. I hope someone sees this and answers.

It would be good to know where it came from.

marciliogq wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Oh! Thanks! Pen21,has anybody questioned the name of these girls?

Frequent Contributor
dj5775
0 Kudos

I think the Chungamunga girls is wonderful, what an experience for these girls. It gives sucha feeling of hope and life for them. Great lessons even girls who are well should get and some rarely do. I love the commitment and sisterhood of it throughout life.

ct