Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Greetings everyone,

I'm taking this opportunity between First Looks to catch up on my TBR's.  Just finished Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey and began E M Forster's A Passage to India.

I agree with many of you, TTWife was a great read.  It's beyond me how the author jumped back and forth between time periods.  I heard that she first wrote Henry's story then the female's voice (forgot  her name) and then combined them.  Still seems like an extraodinary accomplishment.

Happy reading!

Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Frequent Contributor
Frostbacksgirl
0 Kudos

I picked up Her Fearful Symmetry the other day at the library, so I plan on reading that too.

I wasn't too thrilled with Tempted, it wasn't as good as the other books. I absolutely love Stark, and I do agree they changed Eric big time in this book. I just don't like him all that much anymore. He reminds me of a truly stuck up person who thinks he is better then anyone else. It's annoying.

~Sara~
Frequent Contributor
Frostbacksgirl
0 Kudos

TTWife was a great book. It was very hard for me to keep up with the time periods. It took me a bit longer to get through it because of the jumping back and forth but overall, it a wonderful read.

~Sara~
Distinguished Correspondent
Lil_Irish_Lass
0 Kudos

Carmenere_lady wrote:

Greetings everyone,

I'm taking this opportunity between First Looks to catch up on my TBR's.  Just finished Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey and began E M Forster's A Passage to India.

I agree with many of you, TTWife was a great read.  It's beyond me how the author jumped back and forth between time periods.  I heard that she first wrote Henry's story then the female's voice (forgot  her name) and then combined them.  Still seems like an extraodinary accomplishment.

Happy reading!

Carmenere_lady - I LOVED Northanger Abbey, I'm a huge fan of the genre of the Gothic Novel and Sensational Fiction and I was never a huge fan of Austen's until I read NA and realized she was a smart cookie with a sense of ironic humor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:

I'm currently reading:

The Lovely Bones 

And while it's a distrubing topic, I am enjoying it... I find myself caught up in the story praying that they find her body and figure out who the killer is.

I really enjoyed The Lovely Bones, despite the disturbing topic.  

The strangest thing about this is  that I started reading it, while in a car, outside of a maximum security prison, while an author friend was interviewing an inmate for her book!!!!!!  THAT was a most freaky feeling!  I get butterflies in my stomach just thinking about it!   (shiver)

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

Deltadawn wrote:

I loved the Time Traveler's Wife! the book was much better than the movie (as usual!)

I was SO disappointed with the movie. But I should have known; it is almost always that way for me.

-Sir Richard Steele

coffee_luvr
0 Kudos

liisa22 wrote:

Deltadawn wrote:

I loved the Time Traveler's Wife! the book was much better than the movie (as usual!)

I was SO disappointed with the movie. But I should have known; it is almost always that way for me.

I too loved The Time Traveler's Wife; I read it about 3 years ago and wanted to see the movie when it came out.  However, life got in the way and I never did go see it.   I guess now I am glad I didn't.

Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. ~Barbara Tuchman
Inspired Contributor
ambika22
0 Kudos

Since it seems everyone likes the times traveler wife i will move it up in my TBR pile!

Frequent Contributor
Frostbacksgirl
0 Kudos

Im reading Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, I've read books one and two, I just started number three last night and they are good, really good. I believe after I finish this series I'm going to read Her Fearful Symmetry, since I've heard so much about it.

~Sara~
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I'm reading Jennifer Rardin's Jaz Parks series.There are six books out in the series so far.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Reader-Moderator
liisa22

SOMEBODY SAVE ME!!   I just hit Goodwill again, and brought home 6 more books!!!!!    I need to join a therapy group....

-Sir Richard Steele

Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

Personally I read books before I watch the movies. For example if I had not read Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone first I wouldn't have enjoyed the movie. There were so many missing parts in the movie and having read the book first it was fun to put faces to the characters and to understand what went on from scene to scene from reading what was left out already.

Cora 

liisa22 wrote:

Deltadawn wrote:

Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

Hi Lisa.. First of all...Thank You...ROTFLOL...my first be laugh today. So are you starting a Readers Anonymous (RA) ?

Cora

liisa22 wrote:

SOMEBODY SAVE ME!!   I just hit Goodwill again, and brought home 6 more books!!!!!    I need to join a therapy group....

Lil_Irish_Lass
0 Kudos

Just finished:

The Lovely Bones 

And am about to start:

Ophelia 

I really didn't love the last 50 pages of The Lovely Bones, I felt that the author attempted to end an otherwise miserable story with a happy ending of sorts. It's still a great book and one I highly recommend, I just had wanted it to end differently.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
Inspired Contributor
Zia01
0 Kudos

I just finished Under the Dome and moving onto The Better Part of Darkness by Kelly Gay.

Contributor
quiltgranny
0 Kudos

Oooh, Debbie!  I am so envious!  Where in the world did you get your hands on the third of the Milennium series (The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest?)?  I just finished the second one, and I really like the way he writes.  Lizbeth is such a character!!!!! It is so sad that such a writer is gone from us so soon, isn't it?

Shadow of the Wind  I'm reading Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.  It's a great story for those of us who love books (and even for those who just like mysteries!) 

Alice I Have Been  I also just finished Alice I Have Been (ARC), a novel written from the viewpoint of the girl/woman who Alice in Wonderland was based on (fiction, but based on some facts).

I can hardly wait now for this next new First Look.  I, like many others, will read it all before the discussions begin.

Quiltgranny Sharon in cold, cold Missouri

http://www.quiltgranny.blogspot.com

Quiltgranny
Life is simple: Eat, read, quilt, sleep, repeat!
Correspondent
DiniB

quiltgranny wrote:

Oooh, Debbie!  I am so envious!  Where in the world did you get your hands on the third of the Milennium series (The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest?)?  I just finished the second one, and I really like the way he writes.  Lizbeth is such a character!!!!! It is so sad that such a writer is gone from us so soon, isn't it?

I just read a recent NY Times article regarding booksellers ordering imports for their readers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/08/books/08girl.html?_r=1&em

Goodreads ID: dinib
Frequent Contributor
mrsareads
0 Kudos

I read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society a while ago and loved it. I just finished Little Giant of Aberdeen County and couldn't put it down. Can't wait to read my first First Look Book.

coffee_luvr
0 Kudos

Day after Night

My bookclub just selected the latest Anita Diamant book for our next read.  I read The Red Tent a few years ago and really liked it.  Has anyone read her new one and if so, what did you think of it?

Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. ~Barbara Tuchman
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Frostbacksgirl wrote:

Im reading Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, I've read books one and two, I just started number three last night and they are good, really good. I believe after I finish this series I'm going to read Her Fearful Symmetry, since I've heard so much about it.

I really enjoyed the Percy Jackson collection.  It's not quite to the level of Harry Potter, but well written and engaging.  The conclusion to the series is quite satisfying. 
"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI