Correspondent
floreader
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Deltadawn wrote:

Hello! I'm Dawn - I just finished reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and absolutely loved it!  Great way to follow up our last First Look selection -The Postmistress, which was also set during the WWII era.

I can't wait to get started on our new FL selection, Eternal on the Water. It sounds great!

Dawn

Dawn,

I just finished reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society yesterday.  I LOVED it!

Judy

Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
0 Kudos

Right now I'm reading Wally Lamb's new book, Wishin' and Hopin'. I'm a huge fan of his and love everything he has written. I'm also reading Truly, Madly for the Sneak Peek Book Club next week and find myself loving Heather Webber's writing. I already can't wait for her next book!

April
Correspondent
bookowlie
0 Kudos

I just finished reading Truly, Madly last night for the Sneak Peek that starts next week.  I loved the main character Lucy!

I also went to the library on Sunday and took out No Time to Wave Goodbye by Jacquelyn Mitchard.  It's a sequel of sorts to The Deep End of the Ocean, which I read about 10 years ago.

Carolyn

Correspondent
nlsamson
0 Kudos

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to finish The Lost Symbol before our next First Look arrives.  This is the first of his books I have read, and I'm really enjoying it.  (if only I didn't have to work! :smileywink:

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
HBT
Inspired Contributor
HBT
0 Kudos

I am reading Truly, Madly. So far it is a good book but a little predictable. I think the good story telling makes up for the predictability. I am also reading Meet Me on the Paisley Roof. This is a funny book about a 16 year old. It makes me remember my days as a teenager. I have actually laughed out load while reading this book. My husband thinks I am crazy when that happens. I think it is a sign of a great book. I am reading  The Spiderwort Chronicles, Lucinda's Secret with my 6 year old daughter. It is her bedtime story. A chapter a night. It is a good book too. I like these books more than I did the movie and I thought the movie was pretty good. I hope to receive a copy of Eternal on the Water, it sounds like a good book. Even if it does sound like this book will take the readers on an emotional roller coaster. 

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

Re: Good to be back!

DSaff wrote:

I totally agree, Suzi. It's just not the same when we aren't together discussing books. LOL 

blkeyesuzi wrote:

Hey everybody!  I'm Suzie and I'm looking forward to this upcoming FL discussion.  I can't wait to get started.

I'm reading 'Truly Madly' for the Sneak Peek discussion right now. 

I missed you guys!

And I totally agree with both of you!  

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

PaulH wrote:

Here's a thread for open discussion be it First Look related or not.

Read anything good lately? Tell us about it!

Hi PaulH,

Following The Postmistress wasn't easy, it was such a interesting and informative read.

Then the Penguin Classics  Book Club gave me a sample read by Rachel Carson, Under the Sea-Wind, and I had to order it. Written in 1941 the first of a trilogy and a first for me in 'nature' reading. I didn't know I could enjoy a book with narration on sea birds and sea creatures in their daily rituals.

Last night I finished a Goodreads First Reads book I'll be reviewing later today by P.D. Martin, The Killing Hands.

I've been a slow reader all my life and stayed away from reading much because of it, but these last few years have taught me "practice makes perfect" or at least close to it.:smileyhappy:

Cora

P.S. I haven't figured out how to post reviews on first look, usually I place my reviews on BN's regular site.

I also have problems functioning on Goodreads site, so I have a lot to learn.

Reader
lexley
0 Kudos

Hiya! I'm Melissa. At the moment I'm reading a YA blog tour pick called Just Breeze. I just started and hope to be done by Thursday! I can't wait to get my copy of this book! 

Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:

I'm currently reading:

The Lovely Bones 

And while it's a distrubing topic, I am enjoying it... I find myself caught up in the story praying that they find her body and figure out who the killer is.

I have her book on the shelf and have been looking forward to reading it. Thinking of adding it to my to read soon stack. Thank you for mentioning it.

Cora

Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

Sunltcloud wrote:

I just finished reading Olive Kitteridge. It is a group of short stories connected to each other by Olive, an older woman with a somewhat grumpy outlook on life

Olive Kitteridge  

Oh, okay, I have Olive Kitteridge but didn't get past the intro. I think I'll give it another try, sounds like a type of comic?

Cora

Inspired Contributor
Coral50

Coral50 wrote:

PaulH wrote:

Hi PaulH,

Following The Postmistress wasn't easy, it was such a interesting and informative read.

Then the Penguin Classics  Book Club gave me a sample read by Rachel Carson, Under the Sea-Wind, and I had to order it. Written in 1941 the first of a trilogy and a first for me in 'nature' reading. I didn't know I could enjoy a book with narration on sea birds and sea creatures in their daily rituals.

Last night I finished a Goodreads First Reads book I'll be reviewing later today by P.D. Martin, The Killing Hands.

I've been a slow reader all my life and stayed away from reading much because of it, but these last few years have taught me "practice makes perfect" or at least close to it.:smileyhappy:

Cora

P.S. I haven't figured out how to post reviews on first look, usually I place my reviews on BN's regular site.

And here I am again, I almost forgot--I finally read the 1st Harry Potter and brought the rest of the series, this last month.  I can't believe I brought the whole series for my grandkids and missed this good read for myself. I couldn't put it down.:smileysurprised:

Cora

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Coral50 wrote:

PaulH wrote:

Hi PaulH,

Cora

Glad to have you here, Coral!

Inspired Contributor
Coral50
0 Kudos

Glad to have you here, Coral!

Thank you, I am glad too. Looking forward to Eternal on the Water, sounds like tissues and happy smiles all the way.

Cora

Correspondent
meme1
0 Kudos

Coral50 wrote:

Sunltcloud wrote:

I just finished reading Olive Kitteridge. It is a group of short stories connected to each other by Olive, an older woman with a somewhat grumpy outlook on life

Olive Kitteridge  

Oh, okay, I have Olive Kitteridge but didn't get past the intro. I think I'll give it another try, sounds like a type of comic?

Cora

I really enjoyed Olive though she isn't the most upbeat female!

meme

~~ Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

~~ Be careful reading health books. You may die of a misprint. Mark Twain
Correspondent
meme1
0 Kudos

floreader wrote:

Deltadawn wrote:

Hello! I'm Dawn - I just finished reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and absolutely loved it!  Great way to follow up our last First Look selection -The Postmistress, which was also set during the WWII era.

I can't wait to get started on our new FL selection, Eternal on the Water. It sounds great!

Dawn

Dawn,

I just finished reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society yesterday.  I LOVED it!

Judy

I read this a few months ago and truly enjoyed it.  Did you think the writing style changed in the last couple of chapters?

meme

~~ Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

~~ Be careful reading health books. You may die of a misprint. Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
Frostbacksgirl
0 Kudos

I just finished reading The Time Traveler's Wife which was very good. I recommend it to anyone. It's a bit hard to keep up with the different dates/ages but very good.

I also finished the sixth book in the House of Night series: Tempted. Oh it's a fascinating series, I couldn't put it down.

~Sara~
Wordsmith
Fozzie

Amanda-Louise wrote:

As well, I'm trying to get through the 4th Gabaldon book in the Voyager series, but it's a bit of a slog.   

I just finished Drums of Autumn.  It really picks up about 300 pages in.   I liked it so much that I immediately began The Fiery Cross.

Drums of Autumn (Outlander Series #4) 

The Fiery Cross (Outlander Series #5)  

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Frequent Contributor
McWarren
0 Kudos

I'm reading "South of Broad" by Pat Conroy in bound book form and "Why My Third Husband Will Be a Dog" by Lisa Scottoline and "One Simple Act" by Debbie Macomber on my BlackBerry (while I anxiously wait for my nook!)

Sydney

Correspondent
DiniB
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

East of Eden  

The Angel's Game  

Goodreads ID: dinib
Inspired Correspondent
jb70
0 Kudos

I loved The Time Traveler's Wife!  It  is one of my favorites and I recommend it to everyone!  I just won a copy of Her Fearful Symmetry but I haven't started it yet.

http://bookbookseverywhere.blogspot.com/