Inspired Correspondent
EbonyAngel
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

basson_mommy12 wrote:

liisa22 wrote:

SOMEBODY SAVE ME!!   I just hit Goodwill again, and brought home 6 more books!!!!!    I need to join a therapy group....

Liisa22:

You're talking to the wrong folks... we're just as hopelessly addicted as you.  :smileyvery-happy:

Save you?  I'll give you a gold star for only bringing home 6.  :smileyvery-happy:

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

Zia01 wrote:

pen21 wrote:

I read the Road this year. That was one of the best books I have read.

I was completely involved with the characters, but not one name was used in the book.

That still baffles me to have a whole book without a name used, just son, father, etc.

Zia01 wrote:

I just finished listening to the audiobook version of the road. What a powerfully dark read. It will stick with me for some time to come.

It baffled me at first too, but after a little ways into it,I decided it worked really well having no names involved.

I too was confused/baffled by the use of pronouns only.  I tried not to dwell on it though.  It was a profound book, a definite keeper!

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

EbonyAngel wrote:

basson_mommy12 wrote:

liisa22 wrote:

SOMEBODY SAVE ME!!   I just hit Goodwill again, and brought home 6 more books!!!!!    I need to join a therapy group....

Liisa22:

You're talking to the wrong folks... we're just as hopelessly addicted as you.  :smileyvery-happy:

Save you?  I'll give you a gold star for only bringing home 6.  :smileyvery-happy:

Well-- I didn't tell you about the 6 I put back!    OK , my TBR pile has grown tall.  but it's all good, right?

-Sir Richard Steele

HBT
Inspired Contributor
HBT
0 Kudos

I am new to this. What is TBR? I am sure I will feel like a dunce after I hear the answer but right now I am confused. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21

Doesn't it make you look at other books with everything defined and named and labelled as having a lot of extraneous stuff. For an author to be able to describe and bring you into this world and not need all the other stuff, but still get his point across, he is a very good writer.

liisa22 wrote:

Zia01 wrote:

pen21 wrote:

I was completely involved with the characters, but not one name was used in the book.

That still baffles me to have a whole book without a name used, just son, father, etc.

Zia01 wrote:

I just finished listening to the audiobook version of the road. What a powerfully dark read. It will stick with me for some time to come.

It baffled me at first too, but after a little ways into it,I decided it worked really well having no names involved.

I too was confused/baffled by the use of pronouns only.  I tried not to dwell on it though.  It was a profound book, a definite keeper!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

HBT wrote:

I am new to this. What is TBR? I am sure I will feel like a dunce after I hear the answer but right now I am confused. 

Not to feel that way at all,it just means ,To Be Read....Lke the pile of books,how neatly they are stacked,TBR,or the List you might carry with you.TBR,or your wish list TBR...of course we all do it differently,but it comes down to the same TBR Books...Happy Holidays...Vtc Susan..(TBR ,it grows and grows the longer you stay with all of us here on BN...  ;   )

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
HBT
Inspired Contributor
HBT
0 Kudos

Thank you Vermotcozy. I had a feeling it was going to be something obvious. Happy holidays !

Wordsmith
Anna_Louise
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone!

I'm currently reading:

The Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

The Looking Glass Wars

Inkdeath

I loved the Percy Jackson series but definately the quality of Harry Potter but quite good in it's own way along with the Time Traveler's Wife.  I just finished all the Sookie Sackhouse books as well.  My book list keeps growning daily though.  However, it's nice since I'm off school for three weeks before the Spring semester begins so I'll read, read, read!!! :smileyhappy:

Anna

Frequent Contributor
Frostbacksgirl
0 Kudos

I absolutely loved the Harry Potter series. I read that series in like 2 weeks, read the books back to back, I had a hard time putting them down. I did the same with the Percy Jackson series as well.

My most favorite series is Maximum Ride by James Patterson, its about winged children, lots of action and just overall wonderful.

I'm now reading Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater, so far it's really interesting.

~Sara~
Contributor
spaz_k7
0 Kudos

I think the reason authors don't use names in some books is so you can make your own assumptions about the characters. With names, many readers will have a preconceived notion about the characters. For example, you probably all know someone named Mike or John so if the author used these names, you would think of those people when you first start reading the book and already form an opinion about the character. I know I've run into a problem when the name of a hero in a book is the name of someone that I had a bad experience with and then I tend to have a bias against the character and look for flaws in him/her. I'm curious to know if anyone made up their own names for the characters in The Road?

Kayla

pen21 wrote:

Doesn't it make you look at other books with everything defined and named and labelled as having a lot of extraneous stuff. For an author to be able to describe and bring you into this world and not need all the other stuff, but still get his point across, he is a very good writer.

liisa22 wrote:

Zia01 wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Zia01 wrote:

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Very Welcome .  A Good Season to you
HBT wrote:

Thank you Vermotcozy. I had a feeling it was going to be something obvious. Happy holidays !

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

I had a different take on the absence of names in The Road...one was that there was no need since basically, there were only two characters. The need to define individual characters with different traits and names is often to help us identify with them. In this book, there was only one father and one son. If he said son, only one would answer and the same goes for the son, if he said father, only one father was there to respond. There would be no confusion for the reader.

Also, the use of the terms father and son only, really enhanced the starkness of the novel for me. It seemed to illustrate the emptiness and the ruin more profoundly.

Does anyone plan to see the movie?

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

I had a different take on the absence of names in The Road...one was that there was no need since basically, there were only two characters. The need to define individual characters with different traits and names is often to help us identify with them. In this book, there was only one father and one son. If he said son, only one would answer and the same goes for the son, if he said father, only one father was there to respond. There would be no confusion for the reader.

Also, the use of the terms father and son only, really enhanced the starkness of the novel for me. It seemed to illustrate the emptiness and the ruin more profoundly.

Do I plan to see the movie?   good question.  I really don't know.  I just don't know that they can do it justice.  Who is producing and directing?  

-Sir Richard Steele

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

I can't answer that definitively since I am just starting the fifth book.  However, I think the character lists will always be valuable.  The author hints that the same characters will make repeat appearances.

spaz_k7 wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I've read a few bad reviews about it so it's good to hear that someone thought it was helpful. I'm reading the 4th book know so I guess it might not be a bad idea to read it. Do you think it also helps to refer to the companion when reading later books as well?

Kayla

Fozzie wrote:

The Outlandish Companion  

For those reading the Outlander series, I recommend this book.  It is like having a discussion about the series with the author.  She provides so much interesting information about the series and it is pure fun to read.  She wrote it to be read after Drums of Autumn, the fourth book, but I wish I had read it after I finished the first book in the series.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
pen21
0 Kudos

I will watch the movie. I usually wait for the dvd.

I am curious to see how the movie will portray that starkness the author had going.

This is one of those books that really stay with you.

So I will give the movie a try.

thewanderingjew wrote:

Inspired Contributor
Zia01
0 Kudos

I will watch the movie, if only out of curiosity. I'm curious to see if they can get the feel right or not. There was such a dark, starkness to the book, I'm not sure if that will portray well on the big screen,

Wordsmith
Anna_Louise
0 Kudos

I too loved the Road. Not sure if the movie can do the book justice but will wait for the dvd to hit a redbox and then watch it.

Anna Louise

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

All the Pretty Horses (Border Trilogy Series #1)   My only read by Cormac McCarthy..Dark,beautiful,and must read the next 2..has anyone read it?"The "Road" sounds excellent.

pen21
0 Kudos

I have only read The Road, I will keep this one in mind.

Vermontcozy wrote:

All the Pretty Horses (Border Trilogy Series #1)   My only read by Cormac McCarthy..Dark,beautiful,and must read the next 2..has anyone read it?"The "Road" sounds excellent.

Wordsmith
kpatton
0 Kudos

ambika22 wrote:

Since it seems everyone likes the times traveler wife i will move it up in my TBR pile!

I read The Time Traveler's Wife quite a while ago and loved it.  I would definitely suggest you move it up in your pile.  I am also glad to hear the movie reviews.  I had planned on seeing it and got too busy.  I'm looking forward to the author's new book.  Nice to hear all of your comments about it.

Kathy