Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

[ Edited ]
"Blood Meridian" is the only book that actually gave me nightmares. How's this for an excerpt? Keep in mind this is one sentence!!
"A legion of horribles, hundreds in number, half naked or clad in costumes attic or biblical or wardrobed out of a fevered dream with the skins of animals and silk finery and pieces of uniform still tracked with the blood of prior owners, coats of slain dragoons, frogged and braided cavalry jackets, one in a stovepipe hat and one with an umbrella and one in white stockings and a bloodstained weddingveil and some in headgear of cranefeathers or rawhide helmets that bore the horns of bull or buffalo and one in a pigeontailed coat worn backwards and otherwise naked and one in the armor of a spanish conquistador, the breastplate and pauldrons deeply dented with old blows of mace or sabre done in another country by men whose very bones were dust and many with their braids spliced up with the hair of other beasts until they trailed upon the ground and their horses' ears and tails worked with bits of brightly colored cloth and one whose horse's whole head was painted crimson red and all the horsemen's faces gaudy and grotesque with daubings like a company of mounted clowns, death hilarious, all howling in a barbarous tongue and riding down upon them like a horde from a hell more horrible yet than the brimstone land of christian reckoning, screeching and yammering and clothed in smoke like those vaporous beings in regions beyond right knowing where the eye wanders and the lip jerks and drools."

Vermontcozy wrote:
I am so taken by the description of the book,that it will go to the nearly top of my TBR ,its so ironic that there are so many fan's of Cormac McCarthys books,each of us reading either 1 or 2 of his books..Bringimg to our atention others..I imagine we all get so caught up with so many Authors,then we do come back to Authors that we absolutely love ..Thank you...Vtc
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

PaulH wrote:
"Blood Meridian" is the only book that actually gave me nightmares. How's this for an excerpt? Keep in mind this is one sentence!!
"A legion of horribles, hundreds in number, half naked or clad in costumes attic or biblical or wardrobed out of a fevered dream with the skins of animals and silk finery and pieces of uniform still tracked with the blood of prior owners, coats of slain dragoons, frogged and braided cavalry jackets, one in a stovepipe hat and one with an umbrella and one in white stockings and a bloodstained weddingveil and some in headgear of cranefeathers or rawhide helmets that bore the horns of bull or buffalo and one in a pigeontailed coat worn backwards and otherwise naked and one in the armor of a spanish conquistador, the breastplate and pauldrons deeply dented with old blows of mace or sabre done in another country by men whose very bones were dust and many with their braids spliced up with the hair of other beasts until they trailed upon the ground and their horses' ears and tails worked with bits of brightly colored cloth and one whose horse's whole head was painted crimson red and all the horsemen's faces gaudy and grotesque with daubings like a company of mounted clowns, death hilarious, all howling in a barbarous tongue and riding down upon them like a horde from a hell more horrible yet than the brimstone land of christian reckoning, screeching and yammering and clothed in smoke like those vaporous beings in regions beyond right knowing where the eye wanders and the lip jerks and drools."

Vermontcozy wrote:
I am so taken by the description of the book,that it will go to the nearly top of my TBR ,its so ironic that there are so many fan's of Cormac McCarthys books,each of us reading either 1 or 2 of his books..Bringimg to our atention others..I imagine we all get so caught up with so many Authors,then we do come back to Authors that we absolutely love ..Thank you...Vtc

Oh,sounds a bit gory..All in all though,did you enjoy the book? I was just fascinated with the History....You didn't really have nightmares,you are just protecting all the "Fair Maidens"here..:  ):womanwink:  VTC

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman

Vermontcozy wrote:

Oh,sounds a bit gory..All in all though,did you enjoy the book? I was just fascinated with the History....You didn't really have nightmares,you are just protecting all the "Fair Maidens"here..:  ):womanwink:  VTC

It's one of the greatest books ever written. That said, there's not really one redeeming character and the violence comes in Biblical proportions but, nonetheless, it shouldn't be missed.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

PaulH wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

It's one of the greatest books ever written. That said, there's not really one redeeming character and the violence comes in Biblical proportions but, nonetheless, it shouldn't be missed.

I am going to see what denominations I receive from  My BN Gift Cards,or I might just request it from my Library...Biblical violence in one book that was widely read 'The Red Tent",was more than I personally wanted to read about,but was so good,that I did handle it..Part of life..Not wanting to miss Books that you recommend highly,you have your "Fan Club"  you know.  Vtc.

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
Frostbacksgirl
0 Kudos

I'm currently reading Watch Over Me by Krista Parrish. So far I'm really liking it so far. I picked up a bunch of books for the holiday season so I'd have something to read.

~Sara~
Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to wished that everyone have a very Merry Christmas.

Gail Marie

Correspondent
mamawli
0 Kudos

Thanks for the interesting comments about books and authors I have not had the pleasure of reading.  I have copied down the names of books and authors and will check out my local library in the morning.

Contributor
JanetRuth
0 Kudos

I am currently reading Bo's Cafe by John Lynch, Bill Thrall and Bruce McNicol. 

What an interesting book! Has anyone else read this one?

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Papa Spy  

To Siberia  

Frequent Contributor
Frostbacksgirl
0 Kudos

I finished Watch Over Me by Krista Parrish Christmas morning and it was a fantastic book. I am now reading Miracle on 49th Street by Mike Lupica, it's good so far.

~Sara~
Frequent Contributor
Luvstoread
0 Kudos

I just finished reading The Weight of Silence.  A debut novel.  I forgot the name of the author, Heather somebody.  Very very good book.

Norma

Luvs2read (a/k/a Norma)
Contributor
JillinOH
0 Kudos

I just read The Middle Place (loved it) and am now reading Change of Heart. What did you think of Olive Kitteridge? I keep picking it up then putting it back. Not sure I can get into short stories.

Contributor
JillinOH
0 Kudos

I am having trouble sticking with this one too.

Frequent Contributor
GadgetgirlKS
0 Kudos

Her Fearful Symmetry 

Just finished Her Fearful Symmetry and really enjoyed it. I like the authors twist on the supernatural. The ending left me surprised and puzzled. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the Time Travelers Wife.

Precious (Push Movie Tie-in Edition)  

A very hard subject to read about, but eye opening.

An Anthropologist on Mars 

Reading for a local book club in January. So far, very interesting, but a few too many scientific details and foot notes.

Dreaming in Hindi

Just started this book. Has anyone read it?

Scribe
DSaff

book has arrived in Western MA

[ Edited ]

My husband called me at work to say that my book had arrived! Thank you, Paul and B&N staff! I can't wait to get home and start reading. :smileywink:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
AIRKNITTER
0 Kudos

Re: book has arrived in Western MA

You have one mighty fine husband....

Book arrived in Reading, PA just moments ago.................

Children are the living message we send to a time we will not see.
Inspired Contributor
Kittysmom
0 Kudos

I was told by my friend that my book might arrive today and indeed it has!  It looks really good and I am looking forward to reading it!  Thanks for letting me into the First Read discussions!

"Open a book and the world is yours"
Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

My computer was down and I am getting caught up slowly. I started reading Her Fearful Symmetry over the weekend. I read The Help just before that for my local bookclub. Also finally finished The Historian in December. That one took me a while. I was visiting family in North Carolina: kept starting and stopping for various reasons during the trip. One break from the book was because I needed to reread Dracula by Bram Stoker.goin

My book arrived this afternoon right before I returned from Maryland. Yes yes yes! I am going to finish reading the blogs, watch the video and read about the author before I jump into the actual read.

You all have given me great ideas for increasing my TBR pile. I think I will need more bookcases before the week is out.

Deb

Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought
william hazlitt
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Yes, I do, and I am VERY thankful.  =)

AIRKNITTER wrote:

You have one mighty fine husband....

Book arrived in Reading, PA just moments ago.................

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Happy New Year!

I want to wish everyone a very Happy New Year! May it be filled with hope, happiness, family, and fun! Stay safe tonight.  =)