Frequent Contributor
spicy_t
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers

[ Edited ]

Mr Monninger...

I LOVE EOTW!  I just adore Mary!  What a courageous "Free Spirit!"....It's such a wonderful read...really flows...keeps me "right there" the whole time...I have always wanted to go to Maine/New Hampshire...its a dream of mine...your book is giving me a taste of it...I love nature and you do a wonderfu job of describing it...thank you so much for participating here!  What a wonderful life you must have there!  :smileywink:

Tammy

Tammy
Wordsmith
BookWoman718
0 Kudos

Hello Joseph,

and thanks so much for giving us the opportunity to discuss your book in this unique club, and spending some of your own time joining in.  It's such a pleasure to get insights directly from the source.  I'm intrigued by your description of 'hearing' your characters more than 'seeing' them.   I seem to enjoy books with a strong sense of place;  books that include maps are especially fun, as well as stories set in places I'm familiar with.  I think I've taken 'hearing' the characters a bit for granted.  But you've caught my attention, and so this will be the first time I consciously try to tell the difference;  whether I'm hearing the characters or seeing them where they are.  Maine is one of the few states that I've never visited, so it will be an interesting test.  I just finally got the book yesterday and am holding it for a long plane ride this weekend.  By Monday I will be ready to engage!  Thanks again. 

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Joseph, I got my book on Monday and am anxious to start reading it. From everything I have heard and read about your book, it sounds really good.

Don't feel intimidated with us. We are a great group. We love to read and love to read new authors. I am just so glad that I am in the First Look club. It gives me a chance to read books I probably won't read. We love discussing books and love getting to know your characters.

So sit back and enjoy the ride. You will love it.

I am so glad that you are joining with us on this new adventure.

ReadingPatti

Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
0 Kudos

Joseph,

Thank you for joining us and sharing your book with us.  I have not started it yet, but from what everyone is saying I can't wait to dive in.  Do not be nervous about joining this group or sharing your book with us.  You will get many different views from everyone and everyone here is very friendly and supportive.

--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann
Wordsmith
Anna_Louise
0 Kudos

Joseph:

Thank you for sharing EOTW with us.  This is my third First Look and I always look forward to discussions with the authors and their insights with their book.  I understand your apprehensions however we're a loving book group and so glad that you could join us and share EOTW with us! 

My husband and I have been on the Allagash River and love it so I'm looking forward to reading more about the river and Mary and Cobb.  I love Mary so far! :smileyhappy:

Thanks once again for sharing with us!

Anna Louise

Frequent Contributor
Leeza14
0 Kudos

Hello, Joseph.

This is my first time in the First Look club, and I feel fortunate to begin with your book.  I've read only a chapter, but I'm hooked on Mary and Cobb. Can't wait to see where you take us. 

Thanks for the opportunity to read your book together and then discuss it with you.  I'm sure you do feel intimidated, but maybe you will feel less so after reading these posts.  I think more than anything, we are the ones who feel lucky to be in this with you. 

Looking forward to the experience,

Leeza

Contributor
ESTONE
0 Kudos

Joseph,

I got my book late Tuesday evening and it was such a great suprise.  I have been staying up late at night to read because it is just so hard to put down.  I am really drawn in by the relationship between Cobb and Mary.  They have such an electric feeling between them; it is so exciting to see what is going to happen next.  I have told my Husband several times that at points I feel that I am in the book myself.  You really are a wonderful writer/storyteller and I am amazed at how this book wraps itself around my mind and feelings.  Thanks for a wonderful book!

Erin

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Dear Joseph,Thank you for sharing your breathtaking novel with us.I received it Tuesday,and thought I would read a few chapters,but I could not stop reading.I finally went to sleep, finished the last few pages the following day.I usually like to savior each word and take my time.I feel like I did ,even though I read more than I thought(only to Chapter 8) I would.We are neighbors,I live in Vermont.Many scenarios that you have portrayed in "Eternal on the Water"are not only recognizable,but have also shaken me up emotionally. Few Novelists have that talent,especially how the beginning just made me become part of your book.I look forward to the discussion,and your feelings about all that we post,no pressure Joseph, ; ) I hope one day to meet you at a Bookstore Event in New England to further discuss your exceptional novel. Vtc

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

Hi,

I run the risk of repeating everything everyone else has said but I wanted to add my two cents anyway. I have, so far, only read five chapters of what seems to be a beautiful, but tragic love story. Your writing style is easy to read and so full of images, without the use of excessive words, that I feel I am in the setting and know the characters. Their personalities are jumping off the page and I am enjoying meeting them, half hoping that I will find people in my own life who resemble them, people who are satisfied with the simple things, people who do not need the social climbing atmosphere of our current society which screams out more, give me more, at every opportunity.

I am glad that you opened the book the way that you did, with the tragedy. Somehow, as the tale continues to unfold, working backwards now, with the injection of humor as a counterpoint to the sadness for the love that is lost, it seems appropriate and makes me feel almost as if I am taking a nostalgic trip back home with memories that could almost be mine, as well. The story is grabbing at my heart strings.
I am not sure if there are any surprises in store for me but I know I eagerly await the unfolding of the tale.

Thank you for joining us.

Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

Hi Joseph,

I just got your book tonight and I have only read a few chapters and I wanted to thank you along with the other reader that it is always great to talk to the author who wrote the book you are reading. I have been with this book club since it started and I have really enjoyed reading a lot of book that I would have missed if it wasn't for this great book club. So I will stop talking and get back to reading your book. Can't wait to talk to you on the 18th when you will be joining us.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Joseph,

Great start to you book. I just started reading this morning.

I am looking forward to learn more about an area of the country I have not visited.

Welcome to our group, enjoy your stay.

pen21

Contributor
TamCG
0 Kudos

Hello,

I must fall in line here and express my excitement for having the opportunity to "virtually" meet you.  I finished reading the book last night and WOW.  You have done such an amazing job of making the reader feel as though they are literally right there.  The characters were quite refreshing (Mary and Cobb of course but Freddy and Wally totally rocked!)  I have to stop myself as I don't want to mention any spoilers but I must say the book was great and really touched home with me on several of the issues.  Can't wait to discuss further.

Thanks!  ~ Tammy

Contributor
spyderfly
0 Kudos

Hello and thank you for this opportunity!  I am on chapter six and love this book.  I didn't want to put it down last night, but forced myself to.  I am anxious to finish! 

Contributor
freelamp
0 Kudos

I just received my book and have begun reading.  Joseph, what a privilege to meet you and have you join us! 

Leona from Florida

freelamp
Correspondent
GreenFairyLV
0 Kudos

Mr. Monninger I would just like to say your writing has already taken me to the Allagash River and I'm only on chapter 4.  I live in Las Vegas and this book is a nice escape.  I look forward to reading more.

I already have so many questions for you.  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

It takes time to learn about spiraling to the heart of a peanutbutter and blackberry jam sandwich. It takes experience to perfect the horse look. But above all it takes patience to listen to the characters who whisper into your ear. After my first fly-fishing lesson in "Home Waters" I now expect to learn all about the Allagash Wilderness Waterway and look forward to exploring the details you so gently persuade to interact.

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Thank you for sharing Eternal on the Water with the First Look readers.  I got my copy yesterday and will start to read tomorrow (don't want to start too soon or I tend to be unable to stay with the chapters). 

Contributor
Buffie24
0 Kudos

Mr. Monninger,

It is a real honor to be able to 'virtually' met you.  I received your book a few days ago and am trying to pace myself to follow the schedule.  That is hard to do since I am really loving Cobb and Mary. 

I really enjoy reading a book where it feels I am actually with the characters and I can see the setting, like I'm really there.  Those are the best books of all.  And Mr. Monninger, your book is one of those.

Thank you so much for sharing Cobb and Mary's story.  I cannot wait to finish reading and know their full story.

Till your next book,

Buffie

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Sunltcloud wrote:

It takes time to learn about spiraling to the heart of a peanutbutter and blackberry jam sandwich. It takes experience to perfect the horse look. But above all it takes patience to listen to the characters who whisper into your ear. After my first fly-fishing lesson in "Home Waters" I now expect to learn all about the Allagash Wilderness Waterway and look forward to exploring the details you so gently persuade to interact.

Seeing your post about "Home Waters",was just strange..A friend of mine the other day had read Mr.Monningers book,and highly recommended it.This occurred when I was casually talking about "Eternal on the Water"and how involved I have become in reading it.I have not gone any furthert then Chapter 8.I promised myself to have enough control not to finish it.  ....Vtc

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Reader
Leara
0 Kudos

Dear Joseph,

As a writer who is about to publish her first novel I'm thrilled about your words. Thank you so much for spending your time here among us. COngratulations for your books and keep on wirting as you do now!!!

xoxoxo