Reply
Reader
lexley
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎12-01-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers

Hello Mr. Monninger! Thanks for writing Eternal on the Water. I loved it and the characters and the story!

Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers

Thank you so much for joining us, Mr. Monninger! I am really enjoying your book and look forward to discussing it.

 


Joseph-Monninger wrote:

 

I am absolutely thrilled to be joining you on this wonderful (and somewhat intimidating) journey.  It is rare that a writer gets to meet an audience so directly and I appreciate the opportunity to do so.  As some of you may have seen on the video that goes with this novel, I truly do write in a small cabin in the backyard of a piece of land in New Hampshire.  Imagine being concentrated on a project with only your dog for company, then suddenly looking up and finding 500 people surrounding you!  It makes me humble and also makes me want to dedicate myself even more fully to writing the best I can.

 

A New Hampshire novelist friend of mine – Ernest Hebert – once said that the biggest obstacle we face as writers is believing we can “do better next time.”  He suggests we use such a rationale as a crutch, relying on it to give us a handy escape hatch if the novel does poorly.  In writing Eternal on the Water, I vowed not to let myself off the hook.  I put everything I could into writing it.  As a result, I have no place to hide and make no excuses.  However the novel came out, I promise you I did my best.

 

I like these characters and hope you will, too.  Writers are often divided into two camps: writers who “see” their scenes and writers who “hear” their characters.  I fall into the second category.  Cobb and Mary began whispering their stories to me nearly three years ago.  I did my best to capture their voices and their lives.  They have followed me to Indonesia and back, down the Allagash River in Maine, and through hundreds of hikes in New Hampshire’s White Mountains.  They provided good company for me, and I hope they do the same for you.

 

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and discuss Eternal on the Water.  I look forward to meeting you all. 

 

Sincerely,

 

Joseph


 

 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Correspondent
Sadie1
Posts: 74
Registered: ‎07-16-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers

Joseph, I am in Chapter 7 and so far thoroughly enjoying the story and your style.  I can't wait to start discussing the book.

 

Lisa in Georgia

Contributor
JanetRuth
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎12-01-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers

It sounds like we all feel the same way about this book, and I am only on Chapter 4.  It looks like my Saturday plans are now cancelled, as I can't put the book down.  Thanks for an awesome book!

Inspired Contributor
debbaker
Posts: 151
Registered: ‎12-02-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers

Thank you for allowing us to read your work and for spending time discussing it with us. As a teacher I have worked with Thoreau's Walden's Pond but find myself once again getting interested in his works while reading your story.

 

I am enjoying the book so far and look forward to the discussions.

 

Deb

Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought
william hazlitt
Contributor
tammypennington
Posts: 23
Registered: ‎12-23-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers

I would like to echo what others have said....I am currently on chapter 6 and am thoroughly enjoying the novel. It is very easy to read and I think you have a very unique voice.  On one hand, i don't want to put the book down, but on the other I don't want it to be over.  Thank you very much for allowing us this opportunity!

Tammy in Seattle
Contributor
brezi
Posts: 23
Registered: ‎04-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers

I am so excited to be a part of this book group and to be able to chat online with an author.

 

I am about 1/4 of the way through the book and am having a hard time putting it down. I love the Maine setting (what a beautiful state!) and I feel like I'm already becoming close friends with Cobb and Mary. The Chungamunga girls add a unique and magical element to the story. I was curious...is this based on a real-life camping group for girls?

New User
angelmom73199
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎12-04-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers

Thanks for letting me be a part of this group.  Just got the book.  Looks to be a good read.

Frequent Contributor
mgmama33
Posts: 34
Registered: ‎08-05-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers

Thanks for letting us read this great novel early!  I was in love with Mary and Cobb from the start.  I feel like I am taking this journey with them!  Can't wait to finish and discuss!

Distinguished Correspondent
PB684
Posts: 182
Registered: ‎08-03-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers

Dear Joseph,

I think you will find that we are a very welcoming group of voracious readers.There will be the fair share of probing questions but I am sure that is what you are hoping for. I received my book shortly after the holidays and have completed the first section. I am now finding it very difficult to put down until the discussion officially begins. I find that I can usually judge my reaction to a book in the first few chapters...In this instance it was the first few paragraphs. I recall putting the book down and telling my husband that I would be sobbing by the end of this one! I was immediately captured by your writing style and feel a personal attachment to your characters...but enough for now...I will wait for the fun to begin next week!

Good luck and welcome to First Look:smileyhappy:

Paula

PB684
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,276
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers

Good Morning Joseph,Even though I posted the other day,I felt compelled to agree with PB684,I am very attached to Cobb and Mary..and will not go any further than chapter 8..We are thrilled to have you here,I think I speak for the group,and Monday will be just amazing ...Vtc
PB684 wrote:

Dear Joseph,

I think you will find that we are a very welcoming group of voracious readers.There will be the fair share of probing questions but I am sure that is what you are hoping for. I received my book shortly after the holidays and have completed the first section. I am now finding it very difficult to put down until the discussion officially begins. I find that I can usually judge my reaction to a book in the first few chapters...In this instance it was the first few paragraphs. I recall putting the book down and telling my husband that I would be sobbing by the end of this one! I was immediately captured by your writing style and feel a personal attachment to your characters...but enough for now...I will wait for the fun to begin next week!

Good luck and welcome to First Look:smileyhappy:

Paula


 

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Contributor
Lisa1971
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎09-03-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers

I just want to give a thumbs up to your writing i started your book last night and must say I'm hooked!! Thanks, Lisa

Contributor
inkslngr
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎12-05-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers

Joseph,

 

This is my first book with First Look too!  I am so excited to be a part of this.  I am already half way through with your book.  I have to agree with the others.  Your characters are so human and you make them and the setting come alive.  I feel this book is going to be controversial and am looking forward to some of the discussions.

 

Thank you for being a part of this and allowing all of us to take part.

 

Phyllis

Inspired Contributor
ambika22
Posts: 57
Registered: ‎08-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers

First of all thank you  for joining us, its very interesting to be able to talk with the person that writes the book. 

As many others this is my first book with First Look, i got it today and i just cant stop reading. I really want that the discussion about the book starts so we cant all talk about our impressions of it.

kch
Contributor
kch
Posts: 11
Registered: ‎11-01-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers

Good almost afternoon Joseph...

This is my first time here too. I am looking forward to it too. I hope we both enjoy this experience.The book is wonderful so far.

 

Karen H.

Karen
Inspired Contributor
JuneC
Posts: 44
Registered: ‎12-01-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers

I'm new to this club and a little nervous, but very interested in seeing how the discussions will go.

I'm half way through the book and fell in love with the characters as quickly as they fell in love with each other.  I loved Chap 2's  opening line.

Contributor
carol08
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎12-12-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers

My copy finally arrived on Friday, and I didn't get a chance to start reading it until last night.

I was hooked before I finished the Introduction.

If the rest of the book is as good as the first 50 pages, I'm in for a real treat. I know it will pass my real test of a good book--if I pass it on to my mom.

Thanks, Mr. Monninger and Barnes and Noble, for letting us get a sneak peak

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,276
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers


JuneC wrote:

I'm new to this club and a little nervous, but very interested in seeing how the discussions will go.

I'm half way through the book and fell in love with the characters as quickly as they fell in love with each other.  I loved Chap 2's  opening line.


 

Welcome June and All the New Bners..Don't worry we are here to help you through your 1st,FirstLook..We were all new once.What a Wonderful Book to start your new experience here at BN......Vtc.....

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Contributor
Zia01
Posts: 187
Registered: ‎08-08-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers

 


Vermontcozy wrote:
Good Morning Joseph,Even though I posted the other day,I felt compelled to agree with PB684,I am very attached to Cobb and Mary..and will not go any further than chapter 8..We are thrilled to have you here,I think I speak for the group,and Monday will be just amazing ...Vtc
PB684 wrote:

Dear Joseph,

I think you will find that we are a very welcoming group of voracious readers.There will be the fair share of probing questions but I am sure that is what you are hoping for. I received my book shortly after the holidays and have completed the first section. I am now finding it very difficult to put down until the discussion officially begins. I find that I can usually judge my reaction to a book in the first few chapters...In this instance it was the first few paragraphs. I recall putting the book down and telling my husband that I would be sobbing by the end of this one! I was immediately captured by your writing style and feel a personal attachment to your characters...but enough for now...I will wait for the fun to begin next week!

Good luck and welcome to First Look:smileyhappy:

Paula


 


 

I have to agree with both of them. I read up to chapter 8 and I find I am very attached to both Mary and Cobb. I also want to read further but I am resisting the urge so far. I look forward to tomorrow when the discussions start.

 

Frequent Contributor
judycarr
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎12-12-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers

I tried to pace myself with this book but I could not do it.  I have finished it and it is absolutely my favorite First Look selection.  That's all I will say....for now!   I feel like this book and its characters are a gift from the author to the reader.  Thank you so much!