Inspired Contributor
Sherry_Young
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers

Dear Joseph,

We are all traveling on this journey with you, Mary and Cobb down the Allagash. So far this journey has taken me back to days of being young and free and of making new friends away at summer camp. There are two camps I used to attend and of which I have fond recollections - Quaker Haven on Dewart Lake in Northern Indiana and Taylor Basketball Camp for Girls in Upland, Indiana. The setting you have described took me first back to our church camp at Quaker Haven. The beauty of nature, the early mornings watching the sunrise over the lake, the noises we would hear from our cabins at night wondering if it was an animal or one of the boys sneaking out to play pranks on the girls...it seems similar to Cobb's night alone by the lake. The Chungamunga girls have taken me back to the all girls basketball camp I attended. I know it seems an odd comparison, but there was a spirit there that was more than just basketball competition. We loved the counselors and spending time together without the boys.

I have only begun reading this week and am thoroughly enjoying your characters. Thank you for sharing with us and for taking me back to a place in my past!

Sincerely,

Sherry Young

Let children read whatever they want and then talk about it with them. If parents and kids can talk together, we won't have as much censorship because we won't have as much fear.
— Judy Blume
New User
mclose1982
0 Kudos

Thank you for taking time out of your busy writing schedule to join us... I have enjoyed what of The book I have read so far.... I cannot wait to get a little further into The book and find out some questions I have .... The book is really well thought out, and I like The flow of The story thus far....

Thank you again

Michelle

Contributor
MegD427
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thank you for joining us in our group. I loved this book and am honored that you have agreed to have let us read your work. I have to admit that I had a hard time putting this book down.  I lived in central Maine for five years and found myself reliving the hikes and day trips to the western Maine.  You have a wonderful way of making the settings jump out easily from the pages and into the imagination!

Meg

Contributor
ImagineMe
0 Kudos

Joseph,

Thank you for being apart of the discussion. I really find that this helps me truly understand the book and the intentions of the author. It is wonderful to have you take the journey with all of us. So far, I'm really liking the book and the decrriptions of the all the nature scenes. Seeing that you write in the woods in a cabin I see where all your inspirations are coming from. Great characters, I really look forward to the journey you've written for us.

Dana

Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

Joseph,

Welcome! I am enjoying your book very much and I am very interested in hearing how you first 'met' Mary & Cobb. I know my introduction to them drew me in completely!

Joanne

Contributor
photogirlMO
0 Kudos

I just want to say that I am so enthralled by this book and I am only a few chapters in. I am truly anticipating a rare find with this book. I instantly warmed to Mary and Cobb as if they were dear friends and to me, that is the mark of a great writer- one who creates characters that are comfortable and endearing.  I hope that you enjoy your experience here with your readers, I know we are all so thrilled to get to know you and your characters! 

Contributor
JanetRuth
0 Kudos

Dear Joseph, I have to agree with the comments already posted, this is an awesome book. Thank you so much for writing it, and also for sharing your time here with us in discussion. I loved the characters right from the start, and was so sad when it was all over. Are you planning to write any more books, maybe about how Cobb continued on his journey after Mary was gone from his life? Janet
Reader 4
CEGS
0 Kudos

I've been in one of those "dry spells", trying to find an engaging book.  This was just the book I've been waiting for.  Completely engaging.  Relaxing.  With characters I care about.  A welcome addition to my winter reads.

Reader
ehjulstrom
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for writing such a wonderful novel! I have been very busy recently and haven't made it through the entire book, but it's certainly not due to the story. Often (and even with books I end up adoring) it takes a few chapters to really get in to a book, but Eternal on the Water immediately pulled me in and I've taken every chance I get to read a chapter or two!

Also, thanks for joining the discussion. It's always wonderful to know that an author relishes feedback and wants to connect with the readers.

Elizabeth

Frequent Contributor
girlie0620
0 Kudos

The book was amazing. I got involved with the characters- I felt their emotions and I left the story thinking....

Thank you for being part of the discussion and writing such a moving book.

Michelle

Frequent Contributor
mooks
0 Kudos

Hi Joseph, 

I am equally thrilled to have this chance to read your first novel on First Look.  I am more than halfway through the book and I am enjoying it very much.  I only get a chance to read on my way home from work on the NY subway and the stunning scenery you write about is such a joy to read.  

All the best,

Randy

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

mooks wrote:

Hi Joseph, 

I am equally thrilled to have this chance to read your first novel on First Look.  I am more than halfway through the book and I am enjoying it very much.  I only get a chance to read on my way home from work on the NY subway and the stunning scenery you write about is such a joy to read.  

All the best,

Randy

Some of my best reading was on the NYC Subway system,many,many moons ago..I read EOTW very slowly,and just finished..Enjoy Randy.....Vtc Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
gl
Distinguished Correspondent
gl
0 Kudos

Dear Joseph,

I just wanted to add my own thanks and appreciation for the chance at a First Look at Eternal on the Water.  I have only just begun the book but thoroughly enjoyed reading about how the love story began and their camping along the Allagash.  Congratulations on Eternal on the Water!

Gaby

New User
JulieanneMV
0 Kudos

Thank you for writing such a wonderful book!  I opened the book without any expectations.  I laughed and sobbed (yes, I scared my husband toward the end).  I thought the descriptions of the outdoors and of the characters brought it all to life and I enjoyed my own journey through the book.

I'm eager to see what else you have published!

Thanks again!

PS The one lady who didn't really read the book but wrote a review?  She's off her rocker.  She must have been having a really bad day because what she said, well, she's wrong.

Inspired Contributor
tweezle
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for allowing me the chance to read your book and "meet" you. It has been such an honor! I appreciate your handling of the terminal situation, as it has always been one of those subjects that I'm amazed at. If we have a dog that is suffering and dying, we can and are required to give that dog comfort and a quiet way to let go. Not so with humans. If I was in Mary's place, I'd want the same thing for me - a quiet way to go. This was an excellent story with a very sad outcome, but one with much dignity.

I'm looking forward to reading more of your work!

“Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.” - Mason Cooley
**3 NOOKS with 3 separate accounts in one household.**
Inspired Correspondent
mv5ocean
0 Kudos

Normally I follow the guidelines as far as the schedule since I don't want to spoil anything. But after hearing the comments regarding the first chapter, I decided to break tradition just as you did in your book by starting at "the end" and so I read through the novel BEFORE I joined the postings. I must let you know I am astounded by the way this book gripped me from the beginning!

Thanks so much for allowing us to live in Maine, travel to Indonesia and learn all about the great outdoors in the most enjoyable fashion!!!

You have reminded me that the simple things in life are the best and for that I am "eternally" grateful!

Best of luck in what I'm certain will be great success!

Reader 2
jhills
0 Kudos

Joseph,

I'm not sure I can add anything new to what has already been said, though I did want to share something that I think is rare in reading (at least for me). When I signed up for this book club, I really didn't know anything about your book, and when I finally received it (a bit late, since it actually showed up on my neighbor's doorstep), I read the synopsis and was slightly disappointed. I just truly didn't think that a book about kayakers in Maine with fatal diseases would interest me.

So, the book was placed on the nightstand with little enthusiasm. Last weekend, I had finally exhausted the small stack of books above it, and with a slight shrug, I reached for Eternal on the Water. I started, and somewhere between the first page and three a.m., I finally caught my breath.

I thoroughly enjoyed your book. I am a hard-to-please reader - most books are only average, in my opinion - but your novel was definitely one to savor (I won't go into details here; I'll leave that for my review). I finished it in two days, and am seriously considering ordering it for my Library's book club. I am very rarely surprised with a book as I was with this. More often, I'm disappointed by a book for which I had high expectations. Instead, Eternal on the Water was a gem - a novel I'm so glad I gave a chance!

Thank you!

Author
Joseph-Monninger
0 Kudos

Hi, Folks -- I just wanted to say thanks to everyone.  From what Paul tells me, I should wander away tomorrow afternoon...and maybe come back one day next week for any last minute observations or comments.  So, I guess this is to remind people if I've not touched on something you wanted to chat about, now is the time.  Personally, I am very interested in your reaction to the final section of the book...and obviously the moral questions it involves.  I don't want to give anything away to people who still may be reading, but I figured I'd mention it.

This is has been a wonderful treat for me.  It's really been one of the best "book related" events I've experienced.  I appreciate your kindnesses and your willingness to read and talk about books...with me, and with each other.

Okay, no mush here.  (There's enough in the novel....)  I'm still going to be around tomorrow and next Thursday, I think...but wanted to jump in and invite any last questions.  Thanks to Paul and Rachel and anyone else involved behind the scenes....

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Joseph-Monninger wrote:

Hi, Folks -- I just wanted to say thanks to everyone.  From what Paul tells me, I should wander away tomorrow afternoon...and maybe come back one day next week for any last minute observations or comments.  So, I guess this is to remind people if I've not touched on something you wanted to chat about, now is the time.  Personally, I am very interested in your reaction to the final section of the book...and obviously the moral questions it involves.  I don't want to give anything away to people who still may be reading, but I figured I'd mention it.

This is has been a wonderful treat for me.  It's really been one of the best "book related" events I've experienced.  I appreciate your kindnesses and your willingness to read and talk about books...with me, and with each other.

Okay, no mush here.  (There's enough in the novel....)  I'm still going to be around tomorrow and next Thursday, I think...but wanted to jump in and invite any last questions.  Thanks to Paul and Rachel and anyone else involved behind the scenes....

Hi Joe,

You've added a lot more to the discussions than just EOTW.  It's been a lot of fun and educational too.  Good luck with your book.

Sheila aka Literature

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Joe, thank you for your time and energy while we pick apart your baby. You have been a font of information and let us into your brain for a short while.

I enjoyed the time spent here with you and all the members of FL and will be following the book through your publishers website.

Good luck, not that you'll need it. The book was wonderful and one of a kind.