Frequent Contributor
KateBrianIsAwesome
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers

I agree with the two people above me. I enjoyed talking about Eternal on the Water with you and all the momembers of First Look. I can already see Eternal on the Water on the bestsellers list when it is released next month. Plus the First Lookers are already getting the book out there by word of mouth. I wish you all the best. Saying goodbye is always the hardest part than saying hello. I'm positive though that we all will corss paths one way or another eventually.

Reading can only make you more happy and smarter. :smileyhappy:

Visit my blog at http://teenbibliophile.blogspot.com/

- Mallory
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Dear Joseph, I love you book. I think that your book gives us all somethine to think about. We learn so much from Mary and Cobb and the girls. There are so many lessons to learn from your books. That love came our way when we least expect it. Also that we should live in the moment for we don;t know what the future may hold.

I love the sybolism of the crow and the bear. It all shows us what could happen to us if we crave something to much. Especially the story of the crow.

I think this book is great. We have given us characters that we can relate to. That we get to know for a brief time and will stay with us for a long time.

I can't wait until your next book comes out.

Thanks again for such a great read.

ReadingPatti

Inspired Contributor
AnnJE
0 Kudos

Hi Joseph - I am Julie from Dallas.  Circumstances prevented me from taking part in the discussion but I just spent the afternoon finishing your wonderful book.  I loved the way you handled the passage of time - I loved the nature (I am a nature-lover myself) in the book - I loved the characters so richly developed.  Thank you for a wonderful book.  Congratulations!!  And thanks to First Look at Barnes and Noble for selecting ETERNAL ON THE WATER for us to read.

Julie 

Correspondent
SandyS
0 Kudos

Dear Joe,

Thank you for your book and for spending so much time with us.  I truly enjoyed your novel and the opportunity to "hear" additional insights from the author.  EOTW will surely be a big success - especially with book clubs.

SandyS

Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

I am so have enjoying this book I am almost finish with it. So far I would say that I would read more  of his books.

Frequent Contributor
Rabid_Reader
0 Kudos

Dear Joseph,

Thank you so much for sharing Eternal on the Water with us! I enjoyed your book immensely, and I think it is going to be well received upon its publication. Thank you for providing us with insight on your book and characters. I look forward to reading more from you in the future!

Rabid_Reader

Inspired Contributor
socalreader

Dear Joe,

Thank you so much for this lovely book.  I enjoyed every page and was completely drawn in by the story of Mary and Cobb.  In some ways, I felt like I was a witness to their relationship and love.  There were so many things in this book, that made me stop and think. . .some little and some big things.  I found a depth to the story I really wasn't expecting.  It's been great to hear your perspective on things as they pertain to the book.  I think it will be a great bestseller, and would love to see it as a movie.  

And thank you, Barnes and Noble and Paul - this is my first 'first look' experience and what a unique one it has been for me.  There's something very exciting about reading a book before it's published - like a wonderful secret no one in my circle knows about but me. 

Thank you all again,

Susan

Books are not made for furniture, but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house.
~ Henry Ward Beecher ~
Contributor
bschoeck
0 Kudos

Thanks for taking the time to get to know the readers.  I am sure that this will help you as a writer.  I think a lot of us also yearn to be writers someday.  Thanks for sharing your process with us.

Contributor
freelamp

Thank you for writing this book, Joseph.  I loved your characters and how you presented the living and the dying scenes.  We are all part of nature and this story will long stay with me.  I saw and heard Mary and Cobb and all the other people who floated through your novel, as if on a leaf going down the river.  The beautiful scenery of Maine and New Hampshire returned to my mind over and over as I read the book.  It has been an honor to read your book and I will recommend it to others who like thoughtful stories about living life in the present.

freelamp
Contributor
merl
0 Kudos

This is my first book club and I immensely loved your book. The nature and how they continually lived for nature even after the camping. Her work keep her in the great outdoors and they also slept under the stars. The book just puts the "circle of life" to mind and to live every moment to it's fullest and with family and friends. I will look for more of your books. Thank you.

Correspondent
mamawli

I'm glad that I had this opportunity to read Eternal on the water.  I liked the full circle presentation of Mary's life.  Even though it began with her death, the story gave us insight into the wonderful person that she was.  Her wonderful friends and family were truly delightful.  While her death was expected throughout the story, one could understand why she wanted it to end in this manner.  It was very heartwarming to know that she had everyone who meant something to her life  with her in the woods at the end of her life.

Hopefully, somewhere at a university, there is a great teacher with the same type of knowledge and enthusiasm for their subject to inspire their students in the same way that Mary did.

The love that Mary and Cobb had for each other was evident throughout the story.

Thank you again for allowing me to be a part of this enchanting book.-

Correspondent
floreader
0 Kudos

Dear Joseph,

Thank you for sharing an advance copy of your book.  The beginning of the story really grabbed my attention.  I enjoyed reading Mary and Cobb's sad, but uplifting love story.  Cobb was my favorite character and you did an excellent job of showing how Cobb came out of his shell and changed by knowing Mary.  The setting is like an extra character and it's clear you are well versed in nature and animals.  I look forward to reading more of your books.

Contributor
carol_fa
0 Kudos

Hi Joe,

Just wanted to say thank you for this wonderful book. I had 20 pages left and made them last for two days - I just didn't want Eternal on the Water to end. It made me laugh as well as cry. The invaluable lessons in this book are amazing, Cobb and Mary were a huge part of our dinner conversations in the last couple of weeks. I am sure we will see this book on the bestseller list when it comes out.

Thanks so much for giving us the pleasure of getting to know you a little better - I think that made the book even better. It's been a great read!

Carol

Inspired Contributor
Beguile_Thy_Sorrow

Hi Joseph,

What a priviledge it's been to read Eternal on the Water.

I just finished the book last night/this morning;it took me waaaay longer to finish this book than it should have simply because I did not want to separate Cobb and Mary. Their love story was so overwhelmingly real that I could hardly bear to face the end, which of course makes no sense as I already had when I began the book.

But emotions, and especially love don't always make sense do they?

As for reading the end first, I have to say that doing that was the most brilliant thing you did technically with this novel for several reasons: it made it real from the begginning, no false hope about "maybe she gets saved at the end", and it let me as a reader focus on what mattered. I got to focus on their story together, and not be distracted that this might be "fiction" and so therefore think that a miracle was in store. Instead I focused on spending as much time with Mary as I could, alongside Cobb.

A friend asked me to describe the book without giving away any spoilers yesterday after I had been raving about it. What's funny is I said "it's very real life in that surreal kind of way", lol.

I had just read the part that talks about the movie All That Heaven Allows and the window, etc and was explaining how it reminded me of Sleepless in Seattle in that way, but that it was much more as a book than just that little moment.

Reading Eternal on the Water was seriously like just listening to a new friend tell you his life story (thus far) because you've come to that point in the friendship where you really get to know each other; where you both begin to share that intimacy of real friendship by sharing real stories about the deeper points in your life, not just the powerpoint version. So, reading your book was not like most books I read where I feel as though I'm the main character and I'm experiencing things as if they're happenning to me. It's more like  this conversation where I was listening to this man Cobb's amazing life story. And it's that intimacy that's so inherent in your book that made me care, and respond as if Cobb were truly my real friend. Because of this, I understand exactly what you mean when you said Cobb & Mary "whispered" their story to you instead of you feeling as though  you were seeiing or shown visually the story as it came to you.

On another note, I also found it really meant something that a guy was telling this story. As a woman, I don't often hear men open up so much about love stories, etc, the way women do. So alll the while I felt that Cobb was telling me his story, I knew it really meant something because a guy is telling it, and so you (as a reader) feel honored to share it.

I'm gonna stop here since this letter/email is getting long but I just wanted you to know that I LOVED this book. Thanks for writing it.

"Come, and take choice of all my library,
And so beguile thy sorrow."
~Titus Andronicus, Act IV, Scene 1: Shakespeare
Correspondent
bookowlie
0 Kudos

Thank you for sharing your book with all of us.  Mary and Cobb's love story is one I will not soon forget.  Your beautiful descriptions of nature and the characters' interaction with nature made me feel like I was right there in the story.

It's interesting that you write in a cabin in New Hampshire.  I felt that you really "knew" the scenery you were writing about.  It's clear that you have a real love for nature.

I look forward to seeing your book on the best-seller list! 

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Tally-wa, I just read your post about Eternal on the Water. I loved it. I could not say it better. Your post said it all. I love your take about talking to a friend. That was great.

I enjoyed this book so much. It was like we were there watching as Mary and Cobb's relationship and love became real.

I can't wait to read Joe's next book. I think that Eternal on the Water is a winner and should be on the bestseller list soon if not now.

Great review.

ReadingPatti

Contributor
sankate
0 Kudos

It was truly a pleasure to read such a beautifully written and engaging book.

Thank you!

Contributor
Shelsie
0 Kudos

Dear Joseph,

Thank you for sharing Eternal on the Water with us.  It was a wonderful story and I will be recommending it to all of my friends!