Correspondent
SandyS
0 Kudos

Re: Dear Readers

Mr. Monninger,

I so appreciate the opportunity we will have to chat with you.  I have so many thoughts and questions.  I can't wait.

SandyS

Frequent Contributor
LRH1223
0 Kudos

Hi JuneC!  I'm new to the club also, this being my first ever Book Club participation!  I'm excited to see what everyone else has to say and all the insights that will come out.  It's always more interesting to hear what others thought and see how differently people can see the same things.  I'm with you on the opening line of Chapter 2!  I can't wait for discussions! There are so many things I love about the way Joseph Monninger writes!! I LOVE nature, so he really appeals to me with his richly descriptive passages! I'm up to p.101 right now and am just loving this book!

JuneC wrote:

I'm new to this club and a little nervous, but very interested in seeing how the discussions will go.

I'm half way through the book and fell in love with the characters as quickly as they fell in love with each other.  I loved Chap 2's  opening line.

"What we love, we shall grow to resemble."
Bernard of Clairvaux
Inspired Correspondent
jb70
0 Kudos

I waited until yesterday to start the book so I wouldn't be tempted to go further than the assigned chapters.  I am almost done with the first section about Maine and your book is really bringing Maine alive for me.  It is a state I've never visited.  I've never been further north than Conn.  It sound beautiful and I loved the couple the met in the cabin and how they imagined coming back in the future to spend time with them.  I hope Annie and John will be making another appearance in the novel, for some reason I really liked them, not that I don't like Cobb and Mary but I know they will continue to be in the story.

Welcome to the group!

http://bookbookseverywhere.blogspot.com/
Contributor
Sirscha
0 Kudos

I am absolutely loving your book and am so grateful that you will be joining in on the discussion.  Cobb and Mary grabbed me from the first.  I have no trouble visualizing the wilderness and can viscerally feel the emotions.  I have to stop myself from reading further into the book than the discussion will cover.  This pause also helps me to savor the story, to let it fully "sink in".

Thank you ever so much Mr Monninger and Barnes and Noble.  I look forward to tomorrow's discussion.

Take care-
Sirscha

New User
troubleactingnormal
0 Kudos

I have to say that I am already loving the book and looking forward to the discussion. It's an honor to have you join us. I hope that we'll get a chance to learn a little but more about your process out there in the back yard. 

-Maggie

http://www.bookwormingit.blogspot.com

Contributor
BookJunkieOK
0 Kudos

This was my first time participating in a First Look book selection, and I think Providence played a large hand.  My ex-husband, and consequently my children are at-risk for HD.  THANK YOU for the story so far!

Contributor
spyderfly
0 Kudos

I finished this novel last night and am in love with the characters, plot and everything about it.  It is well thought out and written very well.  I congratulate you on a beautiful and moving story.  Thank you for sharing your vision with us and this opportunity!

Frequent Contributor
MelissaW
0 Kudos

Joseph,

Thank you for joining us and for giving us the opportunity to read this book before its release to the public.  I really enjoyed reading this book.

New User
JulieanneMV
0 Kudos

This is my very first 'First Look' and I am greatly enjoying my experience.

I just finished Chapter 8 and realized there is a book club discussion in the back of the book.  I try not to look through books so I don't accidentally see what happens in the end but I'm glad that I did this time!

Mary and Cobb make me laugh and I find myself thinking outside the box in my day to to day life as I'm reading their story.

Thank you for writing and sharing

Mary

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Joseph, I have had the privilege of being a part of FL since the beginning and it is my profound pleasure to tell you that Eternal on the Water is the best book I've read, not only for FL but ever.

It's touching and funny. The characters are all so remarkable and memorable that they stay with you long after the last page has been turned.

This will undoubtably become a classic piece of literary fiction that generations of readers will enjoy.

I am honored to have been a participant in the first reading.

Correspondent
LindaEducation
0 Kudos

Joseph, nice to "meet" you. Thank you for meeting with us and giving us an opportunity to read your good book. 

This is only my second First Look discussion so I am somewhat a newbie myself on this. 

Sincerely,

Linda from Missouri

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney
New User
ScoutLFinch
0 Kudos

I just received my copy on Saturday (1-9-10) I'll be a little behind in the conversation. :smileysad:

Contributor
msw888
0 Kudos

This is my first book club and I am very excited. It is an honor to have you Joseph! I received my book the day before I left for my Hawaiian Vacation. Read some on the plane and finished it on the beach! I love the character and the story. Looking forward to the discussions.

Mia

Frequent Contributor
hookedonbooks09
0 Kudos

Hi Joseph!  Welcome and thank you for writing your book.  There are books that take time to work your way through the ground work/background information and sometimes it requires lots of attention to stay with a book like that.

You have written one of those where the reader just falls right in and the story starts to weave from that point outward, like a giant ripple.  From the very beginning, I wanted to sit down on the picnic bench with the ranger and hear about Mary, too. 

Your writing style is easy, too.  I've not stumbled or tripped once! 

Barb

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
New User
tmkong12
0 Kudos

I am thoroughly enjoying this book - the story has kept me hooked from the first chapter. 

Correspondent
nlsamson
0 Kudos

I am loving this book...just can't get enough!  Thank you for believing that love matters most!!!!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
Reader
bibliophilicbookblog
0 Kudos

I Don't feel intimidated. I am personally thrilled at the opportunity to speak so directly with an author. Thanks for your great work.

Monica

www.bibliophilicbookblog.com

Inspired Contributor
socalreader
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for this beautiful story.  I'm really loving Mary and Cobb and their journey.  I don't think I'll ever listen to 'Some Enchanted Evening' without singing instead 'Sam and Janet evening'. . . Mary makes me smile, and her story makes me cry. 

Books are not made for furniture, but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house.
~ Henry Ward Beecher ~
Contributor
carol_fa
0 Kudos

Hi Joseph,

I am very excited about the First Look Book Club, this is my first time as well.  Your book is wonderful! I feel as though I know Mary and Cobb. I love your style of writing. I feel honored to be able to participate in the discussions and am excited to hear what everyone else thinks of Eternal on the Water. I have never been to Maine, but through your descriptive writing it sounds beautiful. The story is so well written that I feel as though I am there with Mary, Cobb and the Chungamunga Girls.

Carol

Contributor
MACanler
0 Kudos

This is my first time joining an online book discussion and I'm also feeling intimidated.  You don't have anything to worry about......this is such a wonderful book!  I look forward to learning and discussing these wonderful characters and story.  I love to read but I am somewhat technologically challenged and still trying to figure out how this discussion actually works.    :smileywink: