Inspired Contributor
Popper19
0 Kudos

Re: Eternal on the Water: Chapters 1-8

When I was reading the nightmare scene I thought Mary was having an epileptic siezure (as someone mentioned earlier).  Then, before she explained about her possible disease, I thought she was having some sort of post traumatic stress thing going on.  She definitely acted oddly enough at other points in the story to make me think something was going on with her.

I believe wholeheartedly that Cobb and Mary could have fallen for each other so fast.  Similar interests, both teachers, etc.  Right time, right place.

I've been pondering for quite awhile now what I would do in Cobb's situation regarding finding out the results.  Ultimately I think I wouldn't...I think I would somehow give it away.  As close as Cobb and Mary already are, I don't think he could keep it a secret. 

On the ohter hand, I still haven't decided what I would do if I were her.  Right now though, it seems like she's living as if she knows she has the disease, but if she know for sure, she would proabably be even think more about possible sympoms. 

Inspired Contributor
Popper19
0 Kudos

Luvstoread wrote:

Hi Everyone:

I'm hoping to catch up with everyone for this discussion.  I've been having a rough couple of months.  I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, had a bunch of tests done, had a mastectomy and am starting chemo next week.  I'm hoping that all of this will let me still participate.  So far I am really enjoying this book.  Thank you B&N for the opportunity to participate.

Norma

I'm wishing you the best Norma. 

Correspondent
meme1
0 Kudos

Popper19 wrote:

Luvstoread wrote:

Hi Everyone:

I'm hoping to catch up with everyone for this discussion.  I've been having a rough couple of months.  I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, had a bunch of tests done, had a mastectomy and am starting chemo next week.  I'm hoping that all of this will let me still participate.  So far I am really enjoying this book.  Thank you B&N for the opportunity to participate.

Norma

Norma, my well-wishes are sent to you as you experience this problem in your life.  I believe it is important to put yourself first as you go through this treatment and pamper yourself as much as possible, even though we have trouble putting ourselves first.  Allow yourself to rest and read!:smileyhappy:

meme

~~ Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

~~ Be careful reading health books. You may die of a misprint. Mark Twain
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

meme1 wrote:

Popper19 wrote:

Luvstoread wrote:

Hi Everyone:

Norma

Norma, my well-wishes are sent to you as you experience this problem in your life.  I believe it is important to put yourself first as you go through this treatment and pamper yourself as much as possible, even though we have trouble putting ourselves first.  Allow yourself to rest and read!:smileyhappy:

I wish you well,and anytime you need to vent remember we are here ..Books Clubs do that ..It brings people together..so you are not alone..Enjoy the book..Its just a beautiful story...Best to you..Vtc  Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

"Knowing the ending" - that Mary dies - captured my attention immediately.

At first, I felt that their love story developed a bit too quickly. however, after getting to know the characters more as the story unfolded, I could see how their spirits were very aligned and I could see how they were "kindred spirits," so although I started out with some doubt, I was able to "buy into" their love affair and immediate passion.

Mary had decided how she would deal with her illness and she had to make it clear that she would not negotiate on that. I think it would be very difficult for Cobb to know the results and not tell her - but he will respect her wishes, I believe. I do not know if I would be able to keep results like that to myself - especially if the results were good news - which, in her case, since we do know the ending, they couldn't have been....

Correspondent
meme1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Rachel-K wrote:

Knowing the ending: What effect does it have on your reading to open the novel with Mary's death presented to us first, and Cobb beginning to tell a ranger about her? Did this capture your attention or repel you, or both?  I felt that the reader would be drawn into the drama right away and know that she would  be led through the events which lead to her death.  I liked that Cobb was sharing their story with the ranger.  I saw it as a part of the grieving process.  After the death of a daughter-in-law, I feel that we had done some of our grieving before her death (yes, we did a lot of living during this time, too) and a lot of it after.  But being able to talk about her and her life also lightened the grief.  

Most love stories begin with complications and reversals, but the love story between Mary and Cobb is absolutely passionate and --relatively--psychologically uncomplicated from the first page. What effect does this have on  you? Do you believe in immediate true love like this one?  I don't really believe in love at first sight.  I believe in a strong attraction and infatuation - that given a chance - will be true love.

What do you make of Mary's nightmares?  I see them as a way for some of her fears to be released.  

What do you make of Mary's conditions for Cobb for continuing to be together? Could you know the test results without telling her? I can keep secrets well, but this own would be truly difficult.  

meme

~~ Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly.

~~ Be careful reading health books. You may die of a misprint. Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
nbmars
0 Kudos

I kind of hate knowing the ending, but on the other hand, I have been known to race through a book and ignore too much of it so I could find out.  On balance though, I'd rather it be a surprise.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff
0 Kudos

Luvstoread,

Our Hearts and Prayers are with you. 

Luvstoread wrote:

Hi Everyone:

Norma

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Frequent Contributor
Lildove3
0 Kudos

Yes, by start off with a death caught my attention right away, so therefore it prompted my desire

to continue the reading. Awesoeme way to grab the mind of a reader...bravo!!!

As a matter of fact, I do believe in true love immediately, didn't know my husband very well, we emailed

each other on May 11, 2003 and By Nov. 8,2003 we were married and we just celebrated our 6th yr

anniversary 11/8/09

At first,I felt Mary was having a possible heart attack.

The wedding was well done and very original..loved it.

It would have been very difficult,but I would have fullfilled her wishes and respected her request.

Frequent Contributor
ethel55
0 Kudos

I not only got the "preview" of what was to come, but I accidentally had paged thru the book looking at it, stumbled across the acknowledgements at the end, so I even knew what the disease was!  I was initially very upset about that because we have a family friend with it and it's tough to think about certain truths that will eventually occur.  But, now that I'm within a couple of chapters of the end, I have decided I liked the foreshadowing he presented in that prologue of sorts. 

I really enjoyed getting to meet the Chungamunga girls and what they stand for!  I loved the idea of their wedding, courtesy of the girls.  You know, they're ripe for romance at that age still and what could have been more romantic to them than how Mary and Cobb met?  Loved the character of Wally as well!

It's hard to know what one would do with the knowledge of those test results going forward, but I don't think there's any question that Cobb is in this for the long haul. 

Frequent Contributor
judycarr
0 Kudos

Totally agree with you aprillh.  I am not much of a camper either.  My idea of roughing it is an inn where the bathroom is down the hall! However, this book held my interest and I truly reveled in the outdoor setting. It didn't matter that I couldn't relate to it.  They characters were so at ease with it and it was descrived so well; that was all that mattered.  I must admit I will look at the crows differently from now on. 

Inspired Contributor
kaylami
0 Kudos

FINALLY!!!!!! I just received my book today.  I'm gonna try to catch up, but I don't know if I'll be able to.  It looks like it'll be a great read.  Maybe I'll be ready by next week's discussion....bummer.

Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
0 Kudos

Luvstoread wrote:

Hi Everyone:

Norma

Norma, you are in my thoughts and prayers. Wishing you all the best.

April
Contributor
spaz_k7
0 Kudos

Just a thought, but...Are we really sure that Mary has the disease? Maybe I missed something at the beginning, but didn't she say that as soon as she started developing symptoms she would kill herself? So isn't it possible that she thinks these things (nightmares, loss of balance, etc.) are symptoms and kills herself even if it turns out that they aren't? I would be very mad if it ended like this but maybe Cobb never finds out until she dies and then he looks at the test results and realizes she didn't even have the disease and only thought she was developing symptoms. That would be tragic. Anyway, I've just been wondering if it's possible that she doesn't actually have Huntington's.

embersky_gemini wrote:

Overall, I am loving this book.  At first I wasn't phased by the fact that we know she dies at the beginning, but the more I read I am starting to not enjoy that fact. It kind of makes it obvious that she will have the disease because we know she chooses to die right from the beginning. But in a way it makes it better because I won't be shocked to find it may not end happily.  I don't feel that I could keep a secret in the way Cobb promised to about the test results. I feel my actions would give it away. What if he found out that she has the disease and just never talks to her again. Not that he would do that with the love they seem to have between them, but if someone else were to do such a thing wouldn't that be a giveaway to her? I'm getting at that her choice she gives him could easily betray her wish to not know somehow. 

I enjoy the stories Mary tells, and it made me think of crows in a different way, and I really love stories of different mythologies.

Frequent Contributor
LRH1223
0 Kudos

Popper19 wrote:

Luvstoread wrote:

Hi Everyone:

Norma

Norma, So sorry to hear of your health trials.  May God be with you and heal you completely.  Wishing you an easy time through chemo.

Linda

"What we love, we shall grow to resemble."
Bernard of Clairvaux
Contributor
JanetRuth
0 Kudos

Most love stories begin with complications and reversals, but the love story between Mary and Cobb is absolutely passionate and --relatively--psychologically uncomplicated from the first page. What effect does this have on  you? Do you believe in immediate true love like this one?

What a beautiful love story!  I haven't heard of many who have such a perfect beginning and the subsequent dream life, right down to the perfect window in the perfect house.  But it makes for a beautiful escape from the realities of our own life, and isn't that what reading is all about?

Love this book, from beginning to end (and yes ... I did cry too.)

Frequent Contributor
LRH1223
0 Kudos

I'm up to Chapter 8 right now.  As for knowing the ending at the beginning, how Mary died:  this made me really want to read more and get into the story to find out how she "lived" her life.  I think it was an ingenius way to begin the story! 

Mr. Monninger is a wonderful story teller and I can't emphasize enough, how much I LOVE the way he describes everything with such feeling! I love the descriptions; such things as p. 38 "The edge of the breeze held a chill, but the sun pushed it back." and p. 42, "The air became charged with the sweet summer odor of rainfall, and the pines leaned away from the wind and began to thrash."  Oh my gosh!  What beautiful writing!  I could literally smell the rain!  Descriptions like these brought me back to my childhood in rural Illinois, running and playing outside and remembering the warmth of the sun and the smell of rain before it hit.

I love the way Cobb joins in her fun with the bear stories.  p.44 :  "Does she smell like honey?" I whispered to Mary.

I'm not sure I believe in "love at first sight" but I do believe he was enamored and totally taken with her from the start. I think it was physical attraction at first; until he got to know her better and then began to fall in love with the person she was.  They had so much in common and maybe the time was just right for both of them.  It was that special moment when they both met at just the right time and right circumstances in their individual lives.  They "clicked" and as the days went on, they became enmeshed in each other as their love began to grow. I think Cobb is more "stricken" with Mary even than she is with him. He seems to be mesmerized by everything about her.  He was ready to fall in love and definitely searching for something at the time he met her.  Thus, his quest to follow in the footsteps of Thoreau and become one with nature.

I absolutely love the character of Wally!! I love Mr. Monninger's description of her on p. 81: "a pudding of a woman"!!   and "I tried not to show my astonishment; I wondered if she were a man in drag, wearing an outfit"....this is priceless!  I love it also when he writes: (p.81) "Are you hungry?" Wally asked, flicking her cigar ash.

I laughed out loud!

"What we love, we shall grow to resemble."
Bernard of Clairvaux
Wordsmith
literature

Mary doesn't want to know if she has the disease but it still governs her life.  She keeps counts of things--how many days since kissed, how many days she's lived (12,680 days).  She likes things that are seasonal--teaching.  That's how she measures out her life.  When Cobb asked her what she would do if she had 10 minutes to live, she said she would do pushups, then time would go slowly.  On page 103, she says "That's another old-lady thing I do, by the way.  Yard sales." Her every day life seems to be measured in time frames.  But once she is outside, especially back at the Chungamunga camp, the emphasis is not on counting time but living time.  It's obvious that attending the Chungamunga Camp has had a very profound effect on her and when she is back there, she is in love with life itself.  As a camper, it was so instilled in them that illness was not to be mentioned while at Chungamunga and that is why she can still enjoy her time there.  Everything she loves is there...her birds, animals, the river, sleeping out in the fresh air and the Chungamunga Girls.

Mary feels that she lives her life fully and she doesn't want to know.   She says that she lives with urgency and that the only area she has a conflict with is with relationships.  Just the mere fact that she says she lives with urgency means that she is hurrying up her life and inflicting inner pressures on herself.  Her nightmares represent all of that inner turmoil.  Cobb doesn't agree with her here, he says that she doesn't live her life fully.  She takes a half way approach because she won't fall in love because she may manifest this disease.  The knowledge of possibly getting this disease has completely consumed her.  She has her lucid moments and can lose herself in her work but deep down, she just lives with the fear of getting the disease.

Contributor
tammypennington
0 Kudos

i had also wondered about the possibility of Mary not having the disease....that it was possible that she assumed she did but that we find out after death that her tests were negative.  That would surely make for a shocking and perhaps even more tragic ending!  (I have not read ahead)....

Tammy in Seattle
Contributor
vanettaq
0 Kudos

Do to unexpected events, I didn't get to read the chapters yet, I hope to catch up by the next posting of the chapters. 

I am new at this, as this is my first book club as well. 

I don't want to read everyone's reply's because I want to read the book and not "spoilers" for me at this time. 

Keep reading everyone... I will catch up.! :smileyhappy: