Frequent Contributor
spicy_t
0 Kudos

Re: Eternal on the Water: Chapters 1-8

Knowing about Marys death in the beginning made me want to read more immediately!  I loved how Cobb narrated it, and I felt like he was right there with me, speaking directly to me.  I do believe in love at first sight and thought the way their relationship progressed was natural for them...they were just meant to be together!  The wedding the "C Girls" did for them was very meaningful and sweet...although it made me feel that Mary would die very soon.  I liked that Mary was very upfront with Cobb from the beginning...I would do the same.  That's all I will say for now...as I have finished the book...and am afraid to say too much!  I just love every part of the story...the nature especially!  Very vivid...I feel like I am there and Mary and Cobb come to my thoughts daily since finishing the book! 

Tammy
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

ReadingPatti, here. I am lovng this book. Knowing that Mary will die gives me the feeling that I am going to need tissues and a lot of them. I love the instant chemistry Mary and Cobb have. I believe in love at first sight. Especially when you are not looking for it.

I am anxious to know more about these characters.

I am so glad that I am in the First Look club. This is a great club and we get such great reads.

ReadingPatti

Inspired Correspondent
jb70

I just started reading this section and decided after the first page that I should give my own thoughts before having them lost and caught up in everyone else's observations and thoughts, I'llgo back then and continue from the beginning for what other readers thought.  As of this point I've only read the beginning section so I won't have any spoilers in my reponses.:

Knowing the ending: What effect does it have on your reading to open the novel with Mary's death presented to us first, and Cobb beginning to tell a ranger about her? Did this capture your attention or repel you, or both?  I didn't mind knowing her ending and thought it seemed telling when the ranger pointed out that Mary was not wearing a lifevest that her death was likely not an accident.  When we reached the part about her possibility of being ill I guessed that she did indeed carry the disorder although I did wonder if she really has it as she said even if she had the test done she would not look or allow Cobb to tell her the result.  It reminded me of an episode of CSI I watched one time where a couple thought their child had a rare disorder that had killed their first child so they arranged to have him "accidentally on purpose" left in a car on a hot day.  Later it was discovered what they had done and that the disorder they thought he had was caused by pesticides so he wasn't really sick.  Basically I wondered if she was really sick when she died or if she just thought she was.

Most love stories begin with complications and reversals, but the love story between Mary and Cobb is absolutely passionate and --relatively--psychologically uncomplicated from the first page. What effect does this have on  you? Do you believe in immediate true love like this one?  I think both these characters are a bit naive and don't have a lot of romantic experience which kept them a bit uncomplicated.  They seemed like high school kids in their first relationship whothink they are in love by the second date, but also being away from technology and society took away some of the pressure and complications as well.

What do you make of Mary's nightmares?

i didn't make anything of them but I am guessing by the question that they are going to come into play at some point later in the story.

What do you make of the wedding that the Chungamunga girls arrange for them? How seriously do all of them take it?

I think they all take it seriously because they are in situations where they know there might not be that many tomorrows, even if they don't talk about it on the river, so this might be one of the only weddings the grils get to attend and many of them will never have their own.  I do hope they make it legal at some point though.

What do you make of Mary's conditions for Cobb for continuing to be together? Could you know the test results without telling her?  It is like when one person in a couple wants to know the sex of the baby during pregnancy and the other doesn't.  I am just not sure you could keep it a secret, at teh same time if the results were that she was not sick I think she should know not to stop living her life fully but to stop preparing to find out tomorrow that she is on the downward side of life .

http://bookbookseverywhere.blogspot.com/
Contributor
lizabet1196
0 Kudos

Going into reading the novel, knowing ahead of time that Mary would die did not effect my reading so much.  After reading the beginning and taking in the title I had a pretty good ideal of how it would end.  I don't know if I believe in immediate true love.  I have not experienced this type of instant love, but I found the love between Mary and Cobb to be just beautiful.  I would love to experience that kind of accepting love. 

I don't know if I could know the test results without spilling. How could someone hide their feelings about the outcome without the other knowing.  It would be hard.  Cobb choosing to stay with Mary no matter the outcome shows how truly committed he is to her.  That is just beautiful to me.

Inspired Contributor
no4daughter
0 Kudos

al305j wrote:

Hi, my name is Joshua.  This is my first time participating in the book clubs on Barnes and Noble.  I'm glad to meet everyone and I'm enthusiastic about reading your replies. 

Welcome to First Look, Joshua.  I enjoyed reading your thoughtful post and hope you remain enthusiastic about the discussion. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

I don't think I would want to know the results of the test and just live life to the fullest. I suspect Mary knows and she is doing what she can to be happy with Cobb. I like the idea that she was upfront with him about the possibility of having Huntington's disease. I looked up  the disease on the Internet before this week and Mary described the symptoms perfectly. Question is that there are drugs that can help with the convulsiveness but the website did not say that these drugs would lenghthen the patients time on earth. I wonder if this is why Cobb is not going to tell her the results which were really done when she had an accident as a kid and had gashed her leg, I think. Her mother asked that a test be done then and she never told Mary about the results.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Good point, chris227, I didn't think of that off the wall point. Maybe it,s possible that Mary did kill herself because of another disease. We won't know until the last chapters.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Contributor
stkong7
0 Kudos

I've read the first 4 chapters, and I really am enjoying this book.  I know its very early on, but the relationship between Mary and Cobb is really interesting.  They have a chemistry that you rarely see.  Not saying its non-existent, but it is rare.  I'm not sure if I believe in immediate true love for the general masses, but I think it can happen.  I'm not sure what will happen to lead up where Mary is dead, but I understand Cobb's acceptance of it, because they have this general acceptance of one another.    I'm looking forward to continue reading to see why Mary ends up dead.

Distinguished Correspondent
Lil_Irish_Lass
0 Kudos

I wasn't sure what to expect from this book before I opened it. I knew the storyline sounded interesting but not something I would pick up in a bookstore while I roamed the shelves.

I love how it starts and I have been hooked since. I knew it was set in Maine but having the characters live in my state is fun. I've been to St. Paul's School, I graduated from UNH so there's an automatic familiarity with these characters from the beginning.

My heart goes out to the Chungamunga girls knowing many of them will not live far in to adulthood.

I'm loving the writing style, it makes me feel like I'm curled up at my grandpa's feet on the farmers porch during a nice summer day listening to him tell me about "when I was young..." It makes me feel as if I am listening to someone tell me a story, I forget that I am actually the one who is actively reading a book.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
Correspondent
timetravel
0 Kudos

Although we know that the book ends in death, I am pleased that the focus of the book is life.  Life is what makes the book avoid being depressing.

Frequent Contributor
Leeza14
0 Kudos

bookloverjb85 wrote:

I can tell that this is a wonderfully written book because I keep forgetting that Cobb is telling this story to the ranger.  I feel like he is just telling me the story and that I am the only one there in front of him listening, sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the rest...

I couldn't agree more! I didn't really think about this until I read your post, Jen, but you are right on the money.  I feel like Cobb is talking right to me, and I totally forgot the ranger was even involved in the story.  That's a sign of excellent writing, I think.

Reader
plyfaith
0 Kudos

I thought by presenting the ending at the beginning was a detour from norm, however, I find the action of the story to be slow.  The writing is creative and words well chosen.  It is not a story I am drawen to complete.

Inspired Contributor
JuneC
0 Kudos

Knowing the ending: What effect does it have on your reading to open the novel with Mary's death presented to us first, and Cobb beginning to tell a ranger about her? Did this capture your attention or repel you, or both?

I didn't mind having that information right away.  I recently read Art of Racing in the Rain and it too begins with the outcome.  I think it was for me a sense a relief. I know she dies, now I can involve myself with getting to know the characters instead of without waiting for the shoe to drop.  Perhaps too practical . 

Frequent Contributor
flamingo
0 Kudos

I am really enjoying this book.  Am having trouble logging  in on a new computer at home.  Have no trouble on the one at work but my messages will be short. 

This is one of the best books that I have read.  It arrived on a cold winter weekend & I was hooked from the first.  Yes, I liked the fact that we knew this would not be a "Happy Ever After" love story.  I believe that the author has a true gift for making you see what he writes.  I have recently been to the NorthEast and that of course made this book even more enjoyable.  Will look forward to correcting my sign in problems so that I can join the discussion.

So many books, So little time
Inspired Contributor
Zia01
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Good point, chris227, I didn't think of that off the wall point. Maybe it,s possible that Mary did kill herself because of another disease. We won't know until the last chapters.

I agree. I was left wondering this too. I didn't want to jump to any conclusions so early in the book.

Contributor
kitkat2230
0 Kudos

Knowing the ending: What effect does it have on your reading to open the novel with Mary's death presented to us first, and Cobb beginning to tell a ranger about her? Did this capture your attention or repel you, or both?

I kind of like when authors open the novel with insight about the ending of the novel or things that will happen at the end of the novel. This usually grasps my attention and makes me want to know the things that lead up to the event that is being described in the the prolouge.

What do you make of Mary's conditions for Cobb for continuing to be together? Could you know the test results without telling her?

Personally I don't think I would want to know because I think that would ruin things, in a way. Mary has a point about living your life to the fullest. I know that I wouldn't want to know what the test results were and not be able to tell Mary about the results. I think I would have pitty for her in some way if I knew what that she really had the disease.

Contributor
kitkat2230
0 Kudos

I have to agree with plyfaith about the action of the story being slow. I like the fact that the author uses good detail and I am able to have a clear picture of what is going on in my head, but I am having some trouble trying to read the book. I'm hoping the next section picks up a bit, as I see that there are people who are saying that the book picks up after the first few chapters.

Correspondent
SandyS
0 Kudos

Re: Eternal on the Water: Chapters 1-8 (my thoughts)

Amanda-Louise hit on a feeling that I couldn't quite put my finger on - it feels autobiographical.  Monninger is writing from the viewpoint of Cobb and it really feels like his story - the story he is telling the ranger.  Beautifully written.

SandyS

Amanda-Louise wrote:

something perhaps my daughter could do in the future.  Then I learned what all the girls have in common and I desperately tried to erase all my previous thought about my daughter attending!

Monninger's writing is such that I keep having to remind myself that this isn't his story - it's really got an autobiographical feel to it.

Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
0 Kudos

al305j wrote:

What do you make of Mary's nightmares?

Okay. We have a sleepwalker. “My mother used to tell me I had nightmares and I walked around . . . I once put my head through the spokes of a staircase and I couldn’t get out. I had gone down the block and up the stairs onto another porch, and for some reason I put my head into the railings of the porch, and for some reason I put my head into the railings of the porch and my head wouldn’t move” (64). So that’s how she died, I believe, as I was reading. You see, the author has an interesting way of trying to help the reader put the puzzle together with various scenarios, for, in the beginning, I was like, maybe Cobb killed her! Now I’m like, she died sleepwalking!

Great post Joshua! I had forgotten that Mary admitted to Cobb she was a sleepwalker. I'm starting to think she did die from sleepwalking. That would explain why she wasn't wearing a life jacket when they found her body. Guess we'll have to keep reading to find out. Thanks for reminding me!

April
Reader 2
kathmal
0 Kudos

I loved the beginning,  It made you realize immediately that this was a great love affair and that was the story that you were looking forward to.   At this point I have just finished the river chapters and enjoyed every minute of it.  I think their relationship made sense for both of them.  They were not mainstream people and they discovered each others soul mate. As far as the Chungamunga girls, I though they were fabulous.  What 11 year old wouldn't love the opportunity to go on a trip like that and cherish every minute of it.  They were great.