Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Re: Eternal on the Water, Chapters 11 - 16: Wolves

Rachel-K wrote:

Hi

In these chapters, we come to see Mary and Cobb create an ordinary life for themselves. Up to this point, we have known them only outside the context of "ordinary" life. Is this life any more "normal" than life on the Allagash or in Indonesia? Do these chapters change the feeling of Cobb and Mary's love being set outside of everyday life?  Cobb is a very giving man.  Their life together is never about him, although the story is being told from Cobb's perspective, it seems that he would do anything Mary wants done.

What does the home that Cobb and Mary find say about them?  Sounds warm and inviting.  Not pretentious and made with natural resources.

How is their wedding day different and similar to the mock wedding the Chungamunga girls created for them? What does the gum tree represent for Mary?  Again, this is an over the top moment.  Wally, just happens to be a Justice of the Peace!!!!  It's all about Mary and what Mary wants.  Did she ever consider that this hike may be a lilttle too much for the older family members?!  Is Mary a little too accustomed to getting what she wants?  Mmmm?  Well to answer the ?, it is similar to the Chungamunga wedding in that it is very nature oriented, woodsy with respect for the timelessness of nature.

Have you seen All That Heaven Allows? What is it about the film that appeals so strongly to Mary? What is it about the window that the couple share their first kiss in front of? What does the new window do for their home?  I saw it a long time ago and don't remember it very well.  Well, she loves the window and/or the couple coming together in its frame sharing in their first romantic moment.

How do Cobb's and Mary's families and friends take part in these chapters that they haven't before?

They seem to be a great support team, whether it's is installing the window or coming to the hospital, driving Francis back to school they are always there every step of the way.  So it's no surprise that they are all present for the happy times as well as the sad.

Did you feel prepared to begin seeing Mary's symptoms in these chapters? Are Cobb and Mary prepared?  Yes, absolutely.  Now that the reader knows that Mary dies we are simply waiting for something to happen.

Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

I just finished Bury Me Deeply by Megan Abbott, an Edgar nominee. Very good book.

Today plan on finishing Poltergeist by Kat Richardson. Very good paranormal series.

I will continue reading Diana Gabaldon book The Echo in the Bone. I really like the Outlander Series.

Megtall, what did you pick next?

pen21

Bury Me Deep  

Vtcozy wrote..I just love the cover..Lots of Retro Images..and Danger inside..You gave it a thumbs up and Paul agreed,,,and highly reccomended it...What more do we need.V..

Poltergeist (Greywalker Series #2)

An Echo in the Bone (Outlander Series #7)  

Vermontcozy wrote:

Moving on to "Before I Fall"...What are both of you reading now?

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
MelissaW
0 Kudos

Have you seen All That Heaven Allows? What is it about the film that appeals so strongly to Mary? What is it about the window that the couple share their first kiss in front of? What does the new window do for their home?

No, I haven’t seen it yet. 

Mary’s thought is that the movie is Romeo and Juliet, only instead of being separated by a family feud; the characters are separated by social class.  They see the window as something different from the normal, but generous and substantial.   It also allows them to “be near” something that they both obviously love, nature, all year round just by having it in the house.  I think that it is sweet that Cobb’s dad found the window for them and gave it to them as a wedding gift.

How do Cobb’s and Mary’s families and friends take part in these chapters that they haven’t before?

You see their families interact more with them.  The first 10 chapters were about Cobb and Mary meeting, falling in love and how Cobb decided to handle the news of Mary’s illness.  The families were more periphery to what was happening in the story.  They were there and you knew about them and saw a little of them interacting with either Mary or Cobb, but that was all.  These later chapters show how they interact with their families especially once Mary’s symptoms start to show.  The families show both Cobb and Mary a lot of love and support.

Did you feel prepared to begin seeing Mary’s symptoms in these chapters? Are Cobb and Mary prepared?

While I knew that this was coming, I still wasn’t prepared for how it affected me.  I was sad to see the signs of Mary’s illness appearing.  While Cobb knew that Mary was positive, I don’t think that he was prepared to see her start to decline either.  There were times when I think that he ignores some of her symptoms as not having occurred even though he saw something that was definitely not right in Mary. 

Frequent Contributor
bookworm_gp
0 Kudos

Although I knew Mary's fate from the beginning I still wasn't prepared for the onset. Something in the human psyche makes us hope for the best even when we know the end is near.

http://write-juncture.blogspot.com/
http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Gail_Pruszkowski
http://www.facebook.com/gail.pruszkowski
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/bookworm_gp

Contributor
Krickett2432
0 Kudos

What does the home that Cobb and Mary find say about them?

I thought the big picture window in the home was interesting--patterning it after one of her favorite movies.   Mary is desperately trying to make her life into a sort of movie - make it memorable - so Cobb won't forget.  I think she's feeling a little like she's in a movie - that life is feeling a little unreal and transitory.

How is their wedding day different and similar to the mock wedding the Chungamunga girls created for them? What does the gum tree represent for Mary?

I think the two weddings are very similar.  Her getting married by the gum tree I think represents her wanting to be around a long time (just like the tree).  Again mentioning that the tree was around during so many different historical events, and wanting to be a part of that eternality.

Did you feel prepared to begin seeing Mary's symptoms in these chapters? Are Cobb and Mary prepared?

Yes, I was waiting for the symptoms to begin and to see how they would react to them.  I think they are as prepared as anyone would expect them to be.  It is so bittersweet that the symptoms begin when her wonderful life with Cobb is beginning.  But how much better to share it with someone than to endure it alone.

Inspired Correspondent
jb70
0 Kudos

In these chapters, we come to see Mary and Cobb create an ordinary life for themselves. Up to this point, we have known them only outside the context of "ordinary" life. Is this life any more "normal" than life on the Allagash or in Indonesia? Do these chapters change the feeling of Cobb and Mary's love being set outside of everyday life?As they were having all of their adventures I wondered if they would be able to settle in to a regular simple life of home and work, would their relationship be strong enough without the travel, but it definitely was.  There was such respect between the two of them and so little friction, they never had a big fight.  Were they really able to be that well suited and harmonous?  Is that realistic?

What does the home that Cobb and Mary find say about them?It was small but perfect for the two of them blending their intersts and the lives they were bringing together.  It's proximety to nature was just right for a couple who met and fell in love in nature.  The delight they  had in finding the window and having it put into their house was so touching.

How is their wedding day different and similar to the mock wedding the Chungamunga girls created for them? What does the gum tree represent for Mary?The gum tree was similar to being eternal on the water to me.  The gum has been there, done that, just as the river has while we as people get a much smaller slice of time to be a living part of the earth.  The weddings were very similar, both having guests who wanted the best for the couple and were hoping against the odds for a long future for them as well.  Both were in nature and used the same wording almost making the first wedding just as real as the second.

Have you seen All That Heaven Allows? What is it about the film that appeals so strongly to Mary? What is it about the window that the couple share their first kiss in front of? What does the new window do for their home?No I haven't seen the movie.  Putting the window in their house is almost making it seem like they are planning for a future they might not get to have while living fully in the moment and the here and now.  The window makes this their home, puts their stamp on it in a way that will always be there.

How do Cobb's and Mary's families and friends take part in these chapters that they haven't before?On their trips their families have been part of the background but now the trips revolve more around having their families along, whether to spend more time with Mary since her time is limited or to help relieve Cobb of some of the stress and responsibility of being a caretaker I'm not sure.  They all know the plan and no one tries to talk Mary out of  it or argue with her about it.

Did you feel prepared to begin seeing Mary's symptoms in these chapters? Are Cobb and Mary prepared?I think Mary may be more prepared than Cobb but that Cobb sees some of the symptoms first and then doesn't want to mention them and wishes them away.  I was afraid that it would all be over for her in a year so I was glad to see that eight had passed.  I wasn't totally sold on the way the passage of time was marked, withthe long paragraphs of what they did over the course of that time, but it showed that their lives were full and rich and they did their best not to let the disease rob them of life before the end.

http://bookbookseverywhere.blogspot.com/
Inspired Contributor
sgregg88
0 Kudos

Did you feel prepared to begin seeing Mary's symptoms in these chapters?

While I was prepared to begin to Mary's symptoms, I was unsure about how she and those around her would react. Would Cobb recognize the symptoms and accept them, or would he try to cover them? Would Mary really be as calm as she had thought she would be in really letting go of her anxiety and letting go? I wondered if her family would also be able to cope in the way they thought they would. Often, we all have plans, but when we are faced with the situation, we react differently than we thought, or hoped, that we would.

I found it interesting that Cobb began to notice signs, but didn't say anything about it and really had to be forced by Mary. Not out of character, especially when he knows what this means, but that he would try and push it aside and reason it away to himself.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

sgregg88 wrote:

I found it interesting that Cobb began to notice signs, but didn't say anything about it and really had to be forced by Mary. Not out of character, especially when he knows what this means, but that he would try and push it aside and reason it away to himself.

I don't think that Cobb was reasoning it away to himself. My thoughts on that were this. Even though Cobb agreed to Mary's terms regarding her illness, he didn't want to. So I think first in his mind maybe he was in denial about it and hoping that if Mary didn't notice it he could put off the inevitable for a period of time.

Just my thoughts.

Inspired Contributor
sgregg88
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

sgregg88 wrote:

I don't think that Cobb was reasoning it away to himself. My thoughts on that were this. Even though Cobb agreed to Mary's terms regarding her illness, he didn't want to. So I think first in his mind maybe he was in denial about it and hoping that if Mary didn't notice it he could put off the inevitable for a period of time.

Just my thoughts.

Debbie,

I think the reason he was reasoning it was denial, but yoiu have said it much better than I. Thank you!

Inspired Contributor
drbjaded
0 Kudos

Mary and Cobb's relationship never changes when they go from the river to Indonesia and then back home.  They have that same wanting and love for one another.  The romance, the jokes, the life is all the same. 

Their home is very down to earth but they live on land that will never be theirs.  Maybe it's almost a sign that it's something that's temporary.  It's very old-fashioned and just quaint.  I think they knew before they went inside that they were going to buy the house.

Their families are very helpful and come often for visits.  They are aware of Mary's condition and her wishes and want to make sure they are followed.  They want her final moments to be good ones.

I kept myself prepared to see a symptom.  Every time I saw Mary about to do a task I would wait and see if something would happen with her memory or she would do something wrong.  It didn't surprise me when she got lost in the woods with Francis.  I think they were both prepared for it.  Although I'm sure they were hoping it wouldn't have manifested so soon. 

"You cannot love life until you live the life you love."
Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

It is funny but their lives do not seem normal in this context. I would imagine that is because we are glimpsing their private lifes and examining them in light of the end we know is coming. I do think that the scenes of making a home together add depth to their love that was missing earlier for many of us.

Their home is a reflection of their attachment to nature and to life and its continuous movement.

The wedding ties in with the mock wedding in its reflection of nature and deep committment to life. The gum tree represents continuity of life after our passing.

I have not seen the movie.

The other characters are joined in their love for each other. They become part of the same love story, they are family.

I wasn't surprised to see symptons appear. But I had hoped for many years together for them before this started. Cobb and Mary have no choice they have to just accept. There is no preparation for this kind of thing it is only acceptance.

Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought
william hazlitt