Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Last Thoughts

Please use this thread to post any last comments about ETOW you didn't have the opportunity to post elsewhere.

What about ETOW will stick with you most? Any particular images or scenes?

Frequent Contributor
kstempien

Re: Last Thoughts

I enjoyed the entire book, so it's kind of hard to pick just one, or a few, things that will stick with me, because I think much of it will. There are many things that I enjoyed: the characters, the events, the bonds (family, friends, love) and would like to keep with me in rememberence of the story itself.

One of the things that sticks out to me is the relationship that Mary and Cobb had. I know many readers have said that it just didn't seem realistic to them, since they fell in love so quickly, and everything just seemed to be too perfect. I can say that I agree with you in feeling that way. But, I also remember that it's a story in itself, but could still be a part of life. Maybe their relationship was just that lucky one, where they had nothing to worry about and it was perfect. I know we're all not as lucky in reality, but it could happen. For Mary and Cobb, there was an immediate attraction, and it just blossomed from there. There were no fights, no being mad at each other, no other downfalls, but I believe that's because the concentration was lying on the aspect of Mary's illness. The concern was for Mary's health and Cobb's dedication to be by her side regardless. He was attracted to her personality, and I think the rest just developed from there. Their relationship was based on attraction, beliefs, inspirations, etc. Refusing to let Mary's condition come between them, they may the best with the time they had together.

I also admire Mary's willpower to live her life not knowing whether or not she in fact has the disease. She is strong willed, and has the backbone to live her life regardless. She's not wasting away the remainder of her life wondering what if, or being down and feeling sorry, she's continuing to live, accomplishing what she can in the time she has. Knowing she may or may not be inhibited by the symptoms, she continues to plow through life, without letting the possibility get the best of her. I guess I feel strongly about this because I can relate personally. Given my situation, I feel as though it's best right now to not know. Smart? Dumb? We may all have our own opinions on that, but it's just the way I chose to deal with it. I just feel that, without knowing, I'm kind of like Mary, continuing to live my life regardless. I have the feeling that knowing something, specifically something with a negative impact, would cause me to turn my outlook on my life downward. Don't get me wrong, when the right time comes, I will find out what is necessary to know, but for now, I'm keeping with Mary's personality, it is much easier to go through life with the 'blank slate'. I can say it's not always easy, but it is easier!

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

In reading this book, I learned about Huntington's disease, which is devastating and genetic. I will never forget the last chapter, that sticks in my mind. It was touching and serene at the same time.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Distinguished Correspondent
Lil_Irish_Lass

I apologize for not fully participating in this FL discussion, I've been going through the process of moving the last couple of weeks and while I've been reading, I haven't had a chance to jump on here and post my thoughts.

Going in to EotW, I didn't think i was going to love it, I just hoped I would like it. It's not a book I think I would have even picked up seeing it on the shelf, and if I had I wouldn't have bought it. Description wise it sounded like a cheesy, fluff book and not something that could capture my attention.

I was wrong, this book was amazing: it made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me believe in love and finding my Yeti. Being from New Hampshire I think helped to add another dimension to this novel since I actually have been to some of the places described in the book.

I can't say how much I enjoyed EotW and I have already begun to recommend it to others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
Correspondent
ssizemore
0 Kudos

I think one of the most memorable things about this novel was the sense of place.  The tales of the Allagash River and the Chunamuga Girls, the sea turtles in Indonesia, and the beauty of the area that Mary and Cobb called home were really great.  I enjoyed the novel very much and I appreciate having this opportunity!  Sandy

Scribe
DSaff

Favorite quotes

[ Edited ]

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have some favorite lines from this book.  =)  Some of them are:

pg. 28 "A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone."

pg. 152 "You don't value a fire any less because some day it will go out." (used as part of my review)

pg. 259 "Love, in other words, is built not only of the large and sweeping emotions each of us seeks, but, more important, to the level of everyday's most quiet need." 

pg. 312-313 Mary's retirement speech, esp. the third point

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Reader 2
jblaney801

I fully agree with "Lil Irish Lass". This is not a book that I normally would have picked myself. It is not the kind of book that I generally read at all. I am so happy to say that I completely enjoyed the book. My favorite thing about EOTW was how the author talked about animals. I think I need to plan a trip to Yellowstone to see the wolves and the bears...what an adventure. I found myself not being able to put the book down.

Thank you for opening my eyes to a new type of book. I am excited to read Joseph Monninger's other books now. I have a teenage daughter and will buy his teen books for her.

This has been a great experience. Thank you for letting me participate.

Frequent Contributor
EiLvReedn
0 Kudos

The thing that will stick with me most is when all fo the family and friends gather to give Mary her "send off" and say their final goodbyes. OOH how hard! and the scene that will stick with me most is when Cobb finally has to let her go in her kyyak. Heartwrenching, I cried! It was so sad but I was glad that they gave Mary her last wishes also. What a group that could show so much love. Wow.

dhaupt

I enjoyed all the different settings of the book immensely and felt very a part of the wilderness. I also loved the feeling of family and not all in the traditional sense either. 

Distinguished Correspondent
emmagrace

I do not think that I have laughed or cried so much while reading a book in my life! I can not pick just one scene that I enjoyed more than another. The ending was extremely sad, but somehow appropriate! I will definitely recommend this book to others!

Correspondent
bibanon1

I thought there were so many beautiful images in this book. Of course, the ending will stick with me for awhile but I also loved the wedding ceremony.  And the book definitely made me want to learn more about crows!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blogging about books and life since 2003.
http://lifebycandlelight.blogspot.com
Correspondent
bookowlie

I think what will stay with me the most is Mary and Cobb's relationship.  Although their relationship was a little too perfect,  I loved the way they met and the way they "fit" together, like two pieces in a puzzle.  The ending was a little too sad for me, but their characters will stay with me long after I've read the book.

Wordsmith
Tarri

For the first time at the end of reading a First Look selection, I had trouble writing a review.  I could not find the words to express my feelings about EOTW, I just wanted to write "you must read this novel".   Joseph Monninger's words transported me into the lives of Cobb, Mary, Francis, and all the rest of the characters.  I wanted to vacation at John and Annie's lodge, volunteer to be a counselor for the Chungamunga girls, attend Mary's lectures, and look out the window at the house.

As you can tell, I really liked EOTW. 

Correspondent
floreader
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

I enjoyed all the different settings of the book immensely and felt very a part of the wilderness. I also loved the feeling of family and not all in the traditional sense either. 

Good points, Debbie!  The wilderness setting was like an extra main character in the book.  I also really felt the circle of friendship and love was like a non-traditional family.  Sometimes the ties that bind the strongest are not through blood.

Although the end was so heartbreaking, the closeness and love was so uplifting.

Judy

Inspired Contributor
Beguile_Thy_Sorrow
0 Kudos

Eternal on the Water was so much more than I ever expected.

The whole "yeti love" concept made me laugh and when Mary explained you have to be in the "same universe, the same continent, same country, same state, same county, same place, same time, same general time period & usually speak the same language, etc" it really grabbed me. I'd never thought of the odds of love so scientifically; it totally gave me an epiphany about it all. How lucky we are to be able to meet the people we might never have met had we just been a couple minutes late.

That's what will stick with me the most: the absurdity and awesomeness of it all. The love we find without looking, and the people we feel connected to from the moment we meet.

"Come, and take choice of all my library,
And so beguile thy sorrow."
~Titus Andronicus, Act IV, Scene 1: Shakespeare
Inspired Contributor
Beguile_Thy_Sorrow
0 Kudos

I completely agree jblaney801!

If not for this First Look experience, I would probably have missed out on this book entirely.

I'm so glad I didnt. I too loved Monninger's descriptions of nature, animals and Thoreau. For the first time, I read a book that used such literary metaphors and descriptions and dint find them at all boring because it was so well written.

I just couldnt stop thinking about this book either. It followed me to work, and breaks, and I just wanted to hear Cobb tell me more of his Mary and how they lived to be Eternal the Water.

"Come, and take choice of all my library,
And so beguile thy sorrow."
~Titus Andronicus, Act IV, Scene 1: Shakespeare
Correspondent
Sadie1

This was a great feel good book.  Even with Mary's illness, the book just felt good reading it.  It was uplifting to read about Mary's spirit, the person she was and how she took in everything around her and got every ounce of goodness from all around her.  Mary never let the bad get her down and I loved that.  She accepted what life dealt her and she made the most of it.  That's what sticks with me the most.

I loved all of the characters and all of the scenes.

It has been about 3 weeks since I finished the book and it is still with me and I expect it to stay with me for quite a long time.

Thank you Joseph for Writing this book and thank you B&N for allowing me an ARC.

Lisa in Georgia

Inspired Contributor
Zia01

What about ETOW will stick with you most? Any particular images or scenes?

There were so many scenes that will stick with me but the scene at the end with the Chungamunga Girls on the river saying goodbye to Mary. I can invision that scene cleary in my mind.

Wordsmith
literature

I just finished re-reading chapters 17 and 18 again.  These two chapters are filled with so much emotion, caring and love betwen immediate family and friends that it has literally left me speechless.  There is a lot I want to write but all the thoughts are jumbled together right now.  Joe has done a magnificent job in telling a story.  It makes you stop and reflect on where you are in life right now and to appreciate all that you have.  I cried the second time probably more than the first time.  This is a book that I will never forget.

It's odd the way certain books or movies have a lasting effect on you.  I will always remember the scene at the end of Imitation of Life, where Susan Kohner throws herself on her mother's casket asking for forgiveness, or in Gone with the Wind, when Melanie is giving birth.  I just pulled out my complete works of O. Henry and re-read The Last Leaf.  This is where a woman is stricken with pneumonia, is giving up on life and feels that when the last leaf falls from the tree, she too will let go; but that last leaf never fell from the tree and she recovered.  I read this story eons ago in college and have never forgotten it.

Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi

I have to say that I agree whole heartedly with you.  My husband I fell for each other at the moment we laid eyes on each other.  the way we describe it, we were like two springs that just intertwined and we've been that way from the beginning.  We have a beatiful relationship and live each day to the fullest.  We've been faced with an illness and choose to face it head-on and not allow it to stop us.  We live every day like a celebration.  It has certainly caused us to take stock of our time together and our time in general.  We live in the moment as the characters did so well.  We try not to worry about the past or what may loom in the future.  As a matter of fact, we just went horseback riding yesterday and it was such a glorious day.  No worries, only smiles and sunshine.  If we had let it, we'd have had plenty to worry about.  It's this kind of relationship I loved in the characters in Eternal on the Water.  You may be right, some may say relationships like that don't exist.  But, I know for a fact that they do.  I loved this book and its relationships.

kstempien wrote:

I enjoyed the entire book, so it's kind of hard to pick just one, or a few, things that will stick with me, because I think much of it will. There are many things that I enjoyed: the characters, the events, the bonds (family, friends, love) and would like to keep with me in rememberence of the story itself.

One of the things that sticks out to me is the relationship that Mary and Cobb had. I know many readers have said that it just didn't seem realistic to them, since they fell in love so quickly, and everything just seemed to be too perfect. I can say that I agree with you in feeling that way. But, I also remember that it's a story in itself, but could still be a part of life. Maybe their relationship was just that lucky one, where they had nothing to worry about and it was perfect. I know we're all not as lucky in reality, but it could happen. For Mary and Cobb, there was an immediate attraction, and it just blossomed from there. There were no fights, no being mad at each other, no other downfalls, but I believe that's because the concentration was lying on the aspect of Mary's illness. The concern was for Mary's health and Cobb's dedication to be by her side regardless. He was attracted to her personality, and I think the rest just developed from there. Their relationship was based on attraction, beliefs, inspirations, etc. Refusing to let Mary's condition come between them, they may the best with the time they had together.

I also admire Mary's willpower to live her life not knowing whether or not she in fact has the disease. She is strong willed, and has the backbone to live her life regardless. She's not wasting away the remainder of her life wondering what if, or being down and feeling sorry, she's continuing to live, accomplishing what she can in the time she has. Knowing she may or may not be inhibited by the symptoms, she continues to plow through life, without letting the possibility get the best of her. I guess I feel strongly about this because I can relate personally. Given my situation, I feel as though it's best right now to not know. Smart? Dumb? We may all have our own opinions on that, but it's just the way I chose to deal with it. I just feel that, without knowing, I'm kind of like Mary, continuing to live my life regardless. I have the feeling that knowing something, specifically something with a negative impact, would cause me to turn my outlook on my life downward. Don't get me wrong, when the right time comes, I will find out what is necessary to know, but for now, I'm keeping with Mary's personality, it is much easier to go through life with the 'blank slate'. I can say it's not always easy, but it is easier!

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs