Contributor
boadiccea

Re: Last Thoughts

First of all, I would like to say that this is, hands down, the best book I have read in a very long time.

And, while I was reading it, I kept thinking "if someone doesn't option this book for a film and make the film, they're nuts!"  This gorgeous book is perfect for a gorgeous movie!!!

What will stick with me the most, and likely will for years to come, will be the final goodbye scene.

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

boadiccea, I agree. I think this would make a great film. I just wonder who would Mary and Cobb. I think this book gives us all something to think about. What would we do if we had a disease that we would die from? How would we deal with it?

I just love this book. I love the characters, Mary and Cobb are great. They come to the same place for different reasons and find love. WOW. It just shows you how love can strike at any time, especially when you least expect it.

I think this book gives us all something to think about. All the symbolism and expressions of love and family gives us a glimpse into what we all can have if we just grab on to it and hold on tight. True love comes around maybe once in your life.

I am very glad that Paul chose this book for us to read. I highly recommend this book and will recommend it to my library director to get it for my library I work at.

I give this books 5 very big stars. I can't wait to see what Joseph has in store for us next. I want to read more of his work.

ReadingPatti

Contributor
DarcyO
0 Kudos

EOTW is definitely one of the best books I've read. Mary and Cobb are wonderful characters. I laughed and cried through their compelling story. The scene that sticks in my mind is the same as so many others have said, where Mary's friends and family gather to say goodbye and send her on her final trip down the river.

I will be looking for more of Monninger's work to read. Thanks for selecting such a great book!

Contributor
Andrea_C76
0 Kudos

I gave up precious hours of sleep (I have a five month old) to read EOTW and it was TOTALLY WORTH IT!!!

Contributor
MegD427
0 Kudos

I absolutely loved this book.  I couldn't put it down.  It is hard for me to pick one thing that sticks out for me.  I admire Mary's decision not to take the testing and to live her life as fully as she can. The relationship between Cobb and Mary is beautiful and tender. Their courage to face life and its uncertainties is heartwarming.  And I love the descriptions of nature and its splendor.

Frequent Contributor
spicy_t

I just had to come back to say that I still can't get this book out of my mind!  I really really loved it!  I became so attached to Mary...I have an incurable chronic disease and chronic pain and I can so relate to how Mary felt.  It was such a touching story and I have told so many people about it and urged them to get this book!  I would so love to see it become a movie!  Thank you again for allowing me to get an ARC of this very special book that will remain with me forever!

Tammy

Tammy
Contributor
KimmKnits
0 Kudos

At first, I did not think I would like this book.  From the beginning I thought it would be an incredibly sad book, but it turned out to interest me a great deal.  Mary an Cob's relationship was very interesting and definitely based on them being attracted to each other's personality.  It is not the usual type of love story you normally read about. 

I don't think I have ever read a book as "serious" as EOTW.  I really like having taken the time to read.

Contributor
annemd
0 Kudos

One thing that really struck me was how Mary lived in the present moment, and tought Cobb how to do so also.  I know how difficult it can be to achieve this, and really appreciated the examples in this story.  Taking in all that is now, whatever is to come, is always available to us, no matter what.

AnneMD
Contributor
boadiccea
0 Kudos

Tammy, I agree - I can't get this book out of my mind, either!  I find my mind wandering to it over and over again.

Contributor
loves2read_MA
0 Kudos

This was a very touching love story.  Not only were the two main characters interesting and rich, but virtually every character in the book is also.  This is an author I will continue to seek out.  I didn't dive into this book right away because I knew it would be sad.  When I did start reading it, I could not put it down and it was a happier story than I expected.  It was all around a very good reflection on life and a book I will recommend to many others.