Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Mary and Cobb and other characters

Mary and Cobb are by far the characters we have come to know deeply so far. How would you describe each of them, and what has brought each of them to the river.

How well are Mary and Cobb suited to each other?

How do their lives as teachers shape them as people?

Would they have come together so easily in any other circumstances?

How would you describe Wally and what we know of her so far?

Do you have any other favorite minor characters?

Distinguished Correspondent
biljounc63
0 Kudos

Re: Mary and Cobb and other characters

I like Myrtle don't think we've seen the last of her yet. She is like a owl wise beyond her years. I have only read the Maine section of the book so far so I am only guessing at this.

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~

"Reading lets you visit the world of another"
Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

Not sure that I actually like Mary and Cobb. They have each come to the river in search of something ... adventure, freedom, a place to connect to ...

I would say that Wally is a very caring individual.

Do you have any other favorite minor characters? Not really.

Inspired Contributor
sifu-hotman

[ Edited ]

I think not so well. Their lack of love experience makes their quick expression of love for each other not very believable. Not saying they don't believe in it themselves, but it makes me think would they really have attached themselves this quickly if they had known love before and weren't just lonely? 

It's like agreeing to marry the first person who asks you, sort of thing. It's just the two of them there alone. No other attractive men or women to compare to. Would they still have chosen each other had there been more competition? I won't believe it's real until there's more obstacles for them to get past. 

bit dull? :smileytongue:

I very much doubt it. Not only because of what I said above but also because they're not very stand out sort of individuals. In a crowd they wouldn't be noticeable.

I like her. She's by far the most interesting character in the book so far. And she's also the one who gave the story a little push by what she said to Cobb.

can't think of anyone.

Inspired Contributor
ambika22

The way Mary and Cobb meet is full of coincidences, and im not sure they would have ended together under other circumstances. I think that they could be easily attracted to other people since at the beginning i dont really think they fit together.

As the rest of the characters, i really liked Myrtle and her way of seeing life, i think she's very mature because of her desease and she has to be strong not just for her, but for everyone that surrounds her, and i really respect that.

Wordsmith
Anna_Louise
0 Kudos

I'm not sure if Mary and Cobb are suited for each other but there is a mutual attraction between them and they are both drawn to the river.  Because of their travel  along the river, they both share something which bonds them together.

I love Myrtle, Annie and Wally.

Anna Louise

Contributor
BambooMom

I think Mary's full name - Mary Fury - is interesting. She is trying to live her life furiously, with wild abandon. 

Much about this story seems so convenient: how convenient that they are both in the same place at the same time, and have the same feelings, and are looking for something that the other one can fulfill. But I must say that the beginning of my relationship with my husband was much the same. Before I met him, my longest relationship was about four months. I knew I was going to marry him before I even knew his last name, or had spoken more than two words to him (I told my parents, in fact!). We lived about 50 miles apart from each other when we started dating. We have been married for eleven years now!

Inspired Contributor
Zia01
0 Kudos

Mary and Cobb are by far the characters we have come to know deeply so far. How would you describe each of them, and what has brought each of them to the river. I think Mary comes because she has such a love for the river and I also think it grounds her. Cobb I would say, before he met Mary, it was strickly educational but I don't feel it stayed that way for long once he met her.

How well are Mary and Cobb suited to each other? They seem to fit each other very well but we've really only touched the surface of their relationship.

Would they have come together so easily in any other circumstances? I don't think so, no.

How would you describe Wally and what we know of her so far? LOL I"m not sure I have a description of her, ohter than she's just a wise woman, someone you could turn too.

Frequent Contributor
vpenning

My favorite minor character was Francis. As an educator in a very rural town, I see students that have to overcome obsticles every day in order to succeed. Many of them come from the community of poverty. In such, that those in their community do not wish them to "work their way out." See Francis succeed, and having Cobb work towards that success is something I strive for, and I was very interested in the relationship between Frances and Cobb for that reason.

I was also interested in the parallel of suicide that went along with Mary's quest to end her life. The friend's of Frances that felt they had no quality of life chose to end it young; while at the same time, you see Mary who also knows she will have no quality of life planning her own death. The iriony of Mary discouraging Frances from committing suicide while she herself has her own planned makes me think how the two situations are alike and different.

I also found it striking that Frances was present to say his good-byes, and send Mary off. It made me wonder how he perceived her planned death, and did he approve.

dhaupt

The characters in this book are some of the most unforgettable people I have ever read, they are all so well developed that they each tell their own story in this one.

Mary and Cobb are truly the description in the dictionary when someone looks up true love and love at first sight.

The fact that they are both teachers add so much to the story, how they interact with other people. Cobb's interaction is more personal with his students being in a prep school, where Mary teaches at the college level and yet she makes the experience with the Chungamunga Girls so extraordinary that it shows us readers just how much of herself she also gives to her teaching.

My favorite minor character changed throughout the book and ended up being Francis

Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff

Good Morning again All,

Mary and Cobb are by far the characters we have come to know deeply so far. How would you describe each of them, and what has brought each of them to the river.

Mary and Cobb are what I would consider Free Spirits.  They have an intense interest in life and the outdoors.  Mary has become this free spirit due to her impending illness and she is not about to let anything or anyone get in her way of enjoying life to its’ fullest.  She knows that life is precious and she is going to make to most of the time she has.  By her decision to not know about her illness’s actual effect on her, she is allowed to live free and to experience life. 

Cobb is much like Mary, but we at this point know that he is going to have to be Mary’s rock.  The one in the couple that must be grounded.  Mary has told Cobb that he can know the results of her test, but that he must not tell her the results or even let on what they may be.  This puts a burden on Cobb, but I believe that he is up to the task.  He most certainly loves Mary and he will do anything for her. 

As for what brought each of them to the river, well that’s easy.  It appears that Mary has made this trip many times before.  She is a Chungamunga girl after all, (Eternal on the Water).  She knows adversity and is not about to let it get the best of her.  Cobb is taking some time away from his teaching duties to discover Thoreau.  He wants to experience what Thoreau experienced and he is looking for a change.  Cobb finds Mary exciting and beautiful, so he is going to go all out to get her. 

Cobb is going to learn more about himself on this trip down the Allagash.  Together, Mary and Cobb make a great couple and they compliment each other.

I like Wally, she is a special character.  I kind of wondered about her when her description was first noted, but I do like her.  She keeps everything in line and in order for the girls in her charge and that includes Mary.  I liked the way she charges for her meals.  Each character must show their appreciation for her work in some way, and I like that grounding on her part. 

As for my favorite minor characters,  well that would be all of the Chungamuna girls.  They bring the story a light approach yet we all find out that as a Chungamuna girl, you are stricken with some disease.  They push through those thoughts of illness and dieing and show us all that life in fact is worth living and is what you make of it.

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
emmagrace

Mary is hilarious! It would be interesting to meet someone like her. Cobb compliments Mary very well. I wasn't sure at first, but he seems to understand her.

I think that they would have come together easily in other circumstances. The are physically attracted to each other and usually that is the initial reason for two people to meet.

Wally is one of my favorite minor characters. I think it is great what she does for those girls.

I also like John and Annie and I hope that we see more of these characters as the story progresses.

emmagrace
0 Kudos

BambooMom wrote:

I think Mary's full name - Mary Fury - is interesting. She is trying to live her life furiously, with wild abandon. 

Much about this story seems so convenient: how convenient that they are both in the same place at the same time, and have the same feelings, and are looking for something that the other one can fulfill. But I must say that the beginning of my relationship with my husband was much the same. Before I met him, my longest relationship was about four months. I knew I was going to marry him before I even knew his last name, or had spoken more than two words to him (I told my parents, in fact!). We lived about 50 miles apart from each other when we started dating. We have been married for eleven years now!

I did not think of her name in that way- very interesting! I think that it is wonderful how you knew you were going to marry your husband before you knew is last name!

Inspired Contributor
melisndav
0 Kudos

Mary and Cobb are by far the characters we have come to know deeply so far. How would you describe each of them, and what has brought each of them to the river.  I would describe Mary as a whimiscal individual that is just at peace with the universe.  She has accepted who she is in life and has accepted her illness, even though at this point we don't know that she has an illness.  Cobb seems to be on a personal journey to find himself.

How well are Mary and Cobb suited to each other?    I think that there is a great chemistry between Mary and Cobb and that they hit it off immediately is something that most people in thw world don't ever experience.

How do their lives as teachers shape them as people?    I believe that Mary uses her teaching as a way to provide the Chungamunga girls with the type of memory that she has from when she was a Chungamunga girl.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat

Mary and Cobb just seem to hit it off right away. Mary is the forward one and Cobb is fascinated with her. I think teaching does play a role here as they met because of research they were both doing. But I think if they met in the same place but had different jobs, it may have not worked out. It seems kayaking and the Chungamunga girls play a role in their meeting. And the "wedding" seemed appropriate to the girls and Mary told Cobb to play along. The girls seem to understand the relationship between the two.

I liked Myrtle; she was the smallest of the group and I felt a bit sorry for her as she was not going to live long. Again, did she have Huntington's disease also?

Wally reminded me of the housekeeper on "Two and a Half Men". Very forward, very strict. And she told Cobb all about the foundation.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Correspondent
LindaEducation

[ Edited ]

I like Mary and Cobb.  I like how they interact with each other.   Like when  Mary said that she had not been kissed in 374 days. And Cobb's reply:  You keep track? But you forget to eat sometimes?"  Of course we find out later why she would be counting days.  They seem to become soulmates.

I like Annie, as she is the cook.  My stepmom who was Italian was always cooking something for all of us. my husband now does the same thing for me.

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney
Contributor
msw888
0 Kudos

I think they are well suited for eachother. They are both teachers and love outdoors. They had same car and other similarities.

They use teaching to spread their passion; Mary for crows and Cobb for Thoreau,

I don't think they would have come together as easily in other circumstances. It was a chance event which they both felt it was special.

Wally is a very interesting character with Amazon women characteristics who have many layers to unfold.

I liked Joan, Mary's mom. Since I am a nurse, I was able to connect with her. Also Annie because she is a chef. My husband loves to cook and I would love to have similar dream of running a B&B near a lake just like Annie wants to run a fishing camp. There are so many good characters, I also love Freddy, Mary's brother.

Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

Mary and Cobb - Are they suited for each other.

Cobb has noticed Mary on the road to the lake.  He tells of his instant attraction to her, then he ends up camping next to her when he reaches the starting point of his adventure.  I'm not sure this would have worked if they met say at a party.  It would take more conversation to find out they both liked the outdoors and camping, etc.  This is truly a chance meeting.  It makes me wonder if Mary hadn't noticed Cobb as they were traveling down the interstate.  After all he also had a kayak on the roof of his car.  We just don't get the story from Mary's point of view. They seem to be almost too good to be true.  They have instant chemistry that is noticed by others who see them, Annie and John, Wally and the CG's.  What seemed a little strange in this first part of the story, except for a brief entrance of John, Cobb is the only male character in the story so far. 

Frequent Contributor
Frostbacksgirl

Mary is a bit annoying, but tolerable. Cobb is a caring man who is searching for something that he doesn't have in his life yet.

They compliment each other very well.

I do not believe so.

She's a kind caring individual who loves helping others.

~Sara~
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

fordmg wrote:

Mary and Cobb - Are they suited for each other.

Cobb has noticed Mary on the road to the lake.  He tells of his instant attraction to her, then he ends up camping next to her when he reaches the starting point of his adventure.  I'm not sure this would have worked if they met say at a party.  It would take more conversation to find out they both liked the outdoors and camping, etc.  This is truly a chance meeting.  It makes me wonder if Mary hadn't noticed Cobb as they were traveling down the interstate.  After all he also had a kayak on the roof of his car.  We just don't get the story from Mary's point of view. They seem to be almost too good to be true.  They have instant chemistry that is noticed by others who see them, Annie and John, Wally and the CG's.  What seemed a little strange in this first part of the story, except for a brief entrance of John, Cobb is the only male character in the story so far. 

BEWARE, SOME MAY CONSIDER COMMENT A SPOILER

What seemed a little strange in this first part of the story, except for a brief entrance of John, Cobb is the only male character in the story so far.

And the other male rangers who found Mary's body?

Why does Cobb attack the one ranger?  Is that staged (too), or real?

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy