Contributor
lhays
0 Kudos

Re: Mary and Cobb and other characters

Mary brings the most with her to the river. That is her place of refuge, the place that she can let go and not think of what may come.  Cobb went on the trip to do research, but I think that he was hoping to meet someone on the trip. He kept looking, trying to see if the woman in the truck was good looking or not. Cobb really isn't a person that knows a lot about camping or canoeing from what is said at the beginning. It is lucky that he met her and there was an attraction between them because I don't think he would have made it very far without her.

They are suited for each other perfectly. At first Cobb needs her with her experience in the outdoors, Mary needs the knowledge of a relationship since she has kept others away because of the disease that she might have. Neither have been in a serious relationship before, so the passion is very intense. It is like first love when it seems like nothing can seperate them and since it is the same for both of them it is that much more intense.  The wild and outdoors, with there being the freedom and attraction helps them to form a bond that probably wouldn't have happened anywhere else.

Being teachers helps them to be with each other. They understand the drive that the other has on the journey. They are both there for research. Cobb on Thoreau and Mary on crows.

Would they have come together so easily in any other circumstances? No, I doubt if they would have even noticed each other. They had to have the circumstances that they had to let them relax enough to meet the other. It was fate that brought them both to the place where they could notice the other and have the ability to spend the time together to let them bond. "in this universe, on this panet, in this country, in this state, in this county, beside this river."

How would you describe Wally and what we know of her so far? Wally is very wise and tries to help the girls to forget the illness that awaits them. She is a counsilor to Mary and Cobb and helps Mary to move forward with the relationship and tells Cobb about what the Chungamunga girls are so it wouldn't be a surprise when Mary tells him. She is caring and makes the experience for the Chungamunga girls one they won't forget.

Do you have any other favorite minor characters? 

Myrtyl wise beyond her years. She lost her youth due to her disease...sad really.

Annie and John have their dreams and I love that they are living the lives that they have chosen.

Contributor
sankate
0 Kudos

I am still reading the book...and thoroughly enjoying it.

I have a question for other readers...I can't help but feel like Mary would be perfectly portrayed by Uma Thurman in a movie. As I read, I actually picture Uma as her! Anyone else feel that way?

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Mary and Cobb are by far the characters we have come to know deeply so far. How would you describe each of them, and what has brought each of them to the river.
Mary is a free spirit and Cobb is a searcher.  Fate brought them together at exactly the right time in each of their lives, when they were open to finding love. Mary came to the river to share her knowledge and Cobb came to the river to learn about himself.  

How well are Mary and Cobb suited to each other?

Perfectly!  Cobb is willing to accept Mary's conditions in order to be with her and Mary trusts Cobb enough to know that he will not tell her what she doesn't want to know. 

Would they have come together so easily in any other circumstances?

I know it is a little bit Pollyannaish, but I believe they would have found each other. 

How would you describe Wally and what we know of her so far?

Wally reminded me of the bear everyone is looking for.  A mother bear, protecting her cubs. 

I liked all the minor characters.  Cobb's father, who went out of his way to find the window for Mary.  Francis, who was so needy, but unable to accept the help at the beginning.  Mary's mother, who knew her daughter was ill, but respected her wishes. 

Contributor
C-c-a
0 Kudos

I think Mary and Cobb were both searching for something. I think they found just what they were looking for at the river, each other.

I think they are similar individuals. Both are caring, compasionate people and well suite for each other.

One of my favorite minor characters is Freddy. He is an awesome brother! I like his spirit and sense of adventure.

Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

I so agree that Mary and Cobb they were two lonely people and that they needed each other. When they are at the river and they go swimming together I felt that they just needed someone to love and they found each other. I am so enjoying this book and the people in it.

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

And I have an opposing view. I feel that Mary and Cobb are independent, rather self-assured, accomplished  human beings who happen to cross each other's path at just the right time to light a flame that can't be snuffed out, whether by ordinary obstacles or extraordinary circumstance.

gmfuhlman wrote:

I so agree that Mary and Cobb they were two lonely people and that they needed each other. When they are at the river and they go swimming together I felt that they just needed someone to love and they found each other. I am so enjoying this book and the people in it.

Contributor
reader_18
0 Kudos

How would you describe each of them, and what has brought each of them to the river. How well are Mary and Cobb suited to each other?

I think that Mary is a quirky individual and kind of reminds me of a hippy!  I really liked Cobb right from the start.  Down to earth and has a good perspective on life.  I'm not so sure I think they are well suited. I think that they balance each other well but feel like their relationship was put together to quickly, and almost seemed forced.

I sensed desperation from both of them when they met the first night.  Their relationship seemed to scripted. I can't imagine jumping into something like that so quickly but on the other hand, they were both older and knew what they wanted in a significant other. I think had they met at a party in the city instead of in the woods their relationship would not have gone as far as it did.  

I think Wally is a strong force in this book.  She seems like a wise shaman and has a great love for what she does and the girls. 

I really like Cobbs dad.  He seems like a strong man who without being overbearing would do anything for Mary and Cobb.  I especially loved that he was able to make the stained glass window.

Contributor
reader_18
0 Kudos

I agree!!  I think the attraction that they felt right away was not realistic.  It seemed that she was more attracted initially and roped him in?? :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

reader_18 wrote:

I agree!!  I think the attraction that they felt right away was not realistic.  It seemed that she was more attracted initially and roped him in?? :smileyhappy:

VtCozy wrote..I believe that their intial attraction was very chemistry driven..It does happen..Her journey,which she had planned was not to pull in so to speak,any other person..I didn't feel that what happened between them was morally wrong.

Life happens..Glad they found that out...And life kept happening even till the end...Vtc  Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Correspondent
floreader
0 Kudos

I think that Mary and Cobb are well to each other, as their personalities complement each other.  Since they had instant chemistry, I'm sure they would have come together easily even under other circumstances.

I didn't have any favorite minor characters.  By far, Mary and Cobb were pretty much the main part of the story that appealed to me.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady
0 Kudos

Rachel-K wrote:

Mary and Cobb are by far the characters we have come to know deeply so far. How would you describe each of them, and what has brought each of them to the river.

I thought Mary a little odd at the start.  Counting the days she's lived, knock knock jokes etc. makes you wonder about her mental stability but she does respect nature and of course that is what brings the two together.  Cobb seems like the average joe, lover of nature.

How well are Mary and Cobb suited to each other?  I think they are pretty much made for each other

How do their lives as teachers shape them as people?  I think everything is a learning experience for them.  They feed their appeitite for knowledge.

Would they have come together so easily in any other circumstances?  Maybe a teachers conference or something else to do with education or nature

How would you describe Wally and what we know of her so far?  She seems like a warm hearted motherly type person

Do you have any other favorite minor characters?  The book is full of nice minor characters.  Cobb's dad, Francis, Freddy, John and Annie.  I didn't warm up to Mary's mom very much although she is astute and led Mary on a path that would help her through her illness.

Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Correspondent
bookowlie
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

reader_18 wrote:

VtCozy wrote..I believe that their intial attraction was very chemistry driven..It does happen..Her journey,which she had planned was not to pull in so to speak,any other person..I didn't feel that what happened between them was morally wrong.

Life happens..Glad they found that out...And life kept happening even till the end...Vtc  Susan

I agree, VtCozy.  Initially, they were attracted to each other.  I don't think she pulled him in.  It was just the right chemistry and I think they would have been drawn to each other, even under different circumstances.

Good quote, VtCozy - "life happens....and life kept happening even 'til the end"

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

bookowlie wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

reader_18 wrote:

I agree, VtCozy.  Initially, they were attracted to each other.  I don't think she pulled him in.  It was just the right chemistry and I think they would have been drawn to each other, even under different circumstances.

Good quote, VtCozy - "life happens....and life kept happening even 'til the end"

Thank you bookowlie..Very kind of you..Glad you liked the book..It is still with me,strange..Vtc

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
dj5775
0 Kudos

They went to the river for their own reasons and ended up finding each other and changing their lives.

How well are Mary and Cobb suited to each other?

I like them together, they seem to have so much in common and the love is there you can clearly see that.

How do their lives as teachers shape them as people?

It proves how dedicated they are they both thrive in their environments and together they fit

If given the chance/right situation I believe they may have

Wally...she is a protector, bear especially for Mary. She knows people as its her preofession and knows Cobb is good and good for Mary. She cares deeply for her work with the Girls and it shows!

Do you have any other favorite minor characters? Francis, his story alone is deep. His background, the friendships he left behind for school, his school life vs homelife, his interests and how he clicks with Cobb, Mary and the people in their lives.

ct