Frequent Contributor
nbmars
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Outdoors

The river seems symbolic of the flow of life with how it changes over time and so on.  It is a beautiful image that runs through this book!

New User
angelmom73199
0 Kudos

I totally love and can relate to this book.  I live on a lake and love canoeing.  The house descriptions perfectly describe my friends old cabin on the lake.  The nature, chungamunga girls, Mary & Cobb.  All wonderful.  Thanks for sharing such a wonderful book with us.

Contributor
inkslngr
0 Kudos

What do you make of the fact that so far, we spend almost no time indoors? Even when Mary and Cobb make friends and visit a lodge for a small dinner party, they head back outside as soon as they possibly can. How does this play a part in their brand new relationship? Did it feel to you as if they were "playing house" while they visited?

I do feel like they were playing house. I was not able to put my finger on it at the time.  Thanks.

How is the natural world a character in the story? 

I think being indoors probably makes Mary feel closed in.  I think she probably thinks more when she is closed up.  Getting out has a way of making you feel free.

How does the river play a role in the novel so far?

The river is a force to conquer.  Like Huntington's.

Contributor
letsread2SC
0 Kudos

From different backgrounds, Mary and Cobb had come for a true outdoor experience, so natural that they would be drawn to the water and all that the forest had to add to their adventure.

"Playing House" is a good description of their conversation with their new friends. As Mary mentioned later, she even got drawn in to planning for future children while knowing that her illness would likely stifle that "dream."   

I think that the river's role is to show the power of nature as well as escape and peace on the first night of their romantic swim.

Sharon

He that loves a book will never want a faithful friend, a wholesome counselor, a cheerful companion, an effectual comforter. ~ Barrow ~

Sharon

He that loves a book will never want a faithful friend, a wholesome counselor, a cheerful companion, an effectual comforter. ~ Barrow ~
Inspired Correspondent
ponkle
0 Kudos

I just love that the book takes place outdoors, I would spend my life outdoors if I could.

I am not familiar with that river but I grew up around water and I feel that it brings me peace as well as a sense of danger. Rivers and oceans in different ways make me feel like life surging and relaxing and showing the elements power over us. I now live 5 minutes from the ocean because I love to look at both the violence and peace of the ocean. It is just wonderous to me how it can exhibit both but so can life itself

Frequent Contributor
dj5775
0 Kudos

What better setting to get to know a new person! I love the outdoors setting for this story and cannot imagine it being set indoors more than we've seen. I'm not familiar from this river but not too far if I decided to find it.

ct