Reply
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,276
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Turtle Freddy, Lamb and Saving the Coral Reef

Freddy was what I wanted him to be,I was certainly not disappointed..His passion for saving the Turtles,the Coral Reef,fits beautifully into the story..Unconventional,like Mary,and,wanting to make a difference in the world,both are just a joy to read about.Lamb is Freddys Yeti..I just love that word and the meaning behind it.I especially liked the relationship between Freddy and Cobb..Not much had to be said between them,they just knew..Both are protective and both adore Mary.Freddy needed to know that relationship existed..He can now feel more confident that Mary is not alone...Vtc  Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Contributor
BaseballMomma
Posts: 22
Registered: ‎11-03-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Turtle Freddy, Lamb and Saving the Coral Reef

To me Freddy is like a male version of Mary. He was like I expected, maybe a little more eccentric but you can't help but like him. The same as it with Mary!

 

I felt like Freddy and Lamb had more a companion relationship with one another. We're told Lamb is older and that she took Freddy in when he first arrived on the island when he was 19 years old, and they live in separate houses. I wish we had seen more of Lamb because she's supposed to be a big part of Freddy's life. I would have liked to have seen more interaction with her and Freddy since we read that while everybody else looks to him, Lamb stands on her own and bosses him around. It would have made for a fun read!

 

 

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
Posts: 4,011
Registered: ‎11-01-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Turtle Freddy, Lamb and Saving the Coral Reef

Lamb took Freddie in when he first arrived on the island and let him stay until he could get established with the turle program and find a home. She comes across as bossy and yells at Freddie. Freddie says she is his girlfriend but I tend to question that.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Distinguished Correspondent
Bonnie_C
Posts: 168
Registered: ‎08-07-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Turtle Freddy, Lamb and Saving the Coral Reef

Freddy has a passion for the reef and the turtles and has dedicated his life to those causes even though it's not making him a rich man.  But fortunately he is one of those individuals who counts his wealth in things other than money.  He is however smart enough to know that he does need people with money to help sustain his work.

 

Lamb is one of those characters who remains in the background.   But you can't dismiss her importance.  She is afterall the one who offered Freddy a place to stay when he ended up on the island.  If she had not done that, he may have been forced to choose other paths.

 

Freddy seems to be aware that Mary tested positive for the disease.  He gives me the impression that he is negative.  I wonder since Mary doesn't want to know her own test results,does she know Freddy's?  Does she even want to know Freddy's?

Frequent Contributor
mediamissy
Posts: 34
Registered: ‎08-06-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Turtle Freddy, Lamb and Saving the Coral Reef

 


I have to say that the introduction of Freddy as Mary's brother seemed quite on target.  Although he was described as more of a pirate he was another free spirit working with nature and enjoying a simple life.   Freddy is certainly more outspoken and physically the exact opposite of Mary in stature and strength but the love in still the same.  Seems to me as blunt as they can both be the love with all of their heart.  Their connection to the earth is a passion.  Although Freddy shows disdain for the role of "film director" of the contributors to his project and find that objectionable he also seems to understand it is a means to an end. That although many people who give to the cause don't truly love the turtles as he does it is a necessary evil in order to protect what is truly important.  

 

Frequent Contributor
Sheltiemama
Posts: 107
Registered: ‎06-01-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Turtle Freddy, Lamb and Saving the Coral Reef

How can you not love Turtle Freddy? He makes perfect sense as Mary's brother. I loved it when Joan said she and her husband had no idea how they'd produced these two free-spirited children.

 

I love Lamb, too. They have a nice, easy relationship in which both retain some independence. It seems that they can spend time apart, while Mary and Cobb want to be together all the time.

 

Freddy obviously cares passionately about the turtles, but he realizes he has to put on a bit of a show and dance to get the funding he needs. I think he regards it as a necessary evil. Learning a little about Indonesia was so interesting.

Frequent Contributor
girlie0620
Posts: 30
Registered: ‎06-05-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Turtle Freddy, Lamb and Saving the Coral Reef

Freddy, I thought, fit as Mary's brother. He is free and out-going, lives life for a purpose, as Mary does. I thought when he set the turtles free and watched them go- that was a metaphor as others said- maybe THE metaphor. We can only do so much to help others- then we set them free to do/ be / experience what they have to. There is no control over the wild as there is no control over disease. Having people watch this experience is something he feels he has to do to keep receiving funding- he needs funding to keep helping turtles- its a circle.....as is life.

Lamb to me was just a background character- I didn't feel as much towards her as I did others. She did however take Freddy in and let him be as he is- acceptance and allowance. That is love-

Frequent Contributor
KateBrianIsAwesome
Posts: 115
Registered: ‎08-19-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Turtle Freddy, Lamb and Saving the Coral Reef

What do you make of Freddy as Mary's brother? Is he who/what you might expect? How would you describe him?

I find him just like any other brother. Looking out for his sister. He cares a lot about her. He also is a free spirit just like his sister.

 

 

Do you get any clear sense of Freddy and Lamb's relationship, or who Lamb is, as a character?

Even though Lamb is bossy and can seem grouchy, she loves Freddy. To me they have a normal relationship.

Reading can only make you more happy and smarter. :smileyhappy:

Visit my blog at http://teenbibliophile.blogspot.com/

- Mallory
Inspired Contributor
JuneC
Posts: 44
Registered: ‎12-01-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Turtle Freddy, Lamb and Saving the Coral Reef

 


 :

What do you make of Freddy as Mary's brother? Is he who/what you might expect? How would you describe him?

Although Freddy seems a bit more eccentric then Mary they are of the same ilk.  They have a strong appreciation of nature so that's where their adventure seeking takes them. And although they are a bit "out there" they have a deep sense of responsibility. 

 

 

Do you get any clear sense of Freddy and Lamb's relationship, or who Lamb is, as a character?

I didn't feel the character of Lamb was explored enough to make a difference in the story.  She and Freddy love each other and there is nothing particularly unusual about their relationship in my opinion.


 

 

Distinguished Correspondent
biljounc63
Posts: 189
Registered: ‎11-02-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Turtle Freddy, Lamb and Saving the Coral Reef

 


DSaff wrote:

Turtle Freddy is one of my favorite characters. He absolutely loves what he is doing, and while he misses home and winter weather, he knows where he belongs for now. His "free-spirit" demeanor is balanced by his ecological astuteness. Freddy loves the turtles and knows he is saving some.


 

I am one who envy's Turtle Freddy life I could imagine myself living that life. Sea, beach, Palm Trees.... There is one key difference I would not Miss winter as I write this it is 8 degrees outside of my western MA house!

 

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~

"Reading lets you visit the world of another"
Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Turtle Freddy, Lamb and Saving the Coral Reef

I understand! It is very cold in Western MA today! While I like parts of the winter, now would be a great time for a summery vacation.  <grin>

 


biljounc63 wrote:

 


DSaff wrote:

Turtle Freddy is one of my favorite characters. He absolutely loves what he is doing, and while he misses home and winter weather, he knows where he belongs for now. His "free-spirit" demeanor is balanced by his ecological astuteness. Freddy loves the turtles and knows he is saving some.


 

I am one who envy's Turtle Freddy life I could imagine myself living that life. Sea, beach, Palm Trees.... There is one key difference I would not Miss winter as I write this it is 8 degrees outside of my western MA house!

 


 

 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
babzilla41
Posts: 252
Registered: ‎05-04-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Turtle Freddy, Lamb and Saving the Coral Reef

Another question for the group: Is there any question around Freddy suffering from Huntington's? Has this been explained somewhere else in the novel?

 

I don't believe that it was directly addressed - although as a reader I considered it.  The odds are certainly there.  I thought that maybe the chance of inheriting the disease was the reason behind Freddy's life style; his decision not to "conform" to the norm.  He seems to truly love living the simple life in a beautiful place with a passion for saving the reef and turtles; living life to the fullest for as long as he can.   I believe he knew of Mary's diagnosis.

 

Also, maybe the chance of suffering from Huntington's was why his relationship with Lamb was so unattached.  They cared for each other; they benefitted from each other, but they were also their own person, independent of each other.  Lamb didn't seem to care for getting involved with Freddy and his donors.  She went her own way, with no excuses or explanations.

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Inspired Contributor
Zia01
Posts: 187
Registered: ‎08-08-2009

Re: Turtle Freddy, Lamb and Saving the Coral Reef

 


babzilla41 wrote:

Another question for the group: Is there any question around Freddy suffering from Huntington's? Has this been explained somewhere else in the novel?

 

I don't believe that it was directly addressed - although as a reader I considered it.  The odds are certainly there.  I thought that maybe the chance of inheriting the disease was the reason behind Freddy's life style; his decision not to "conform" to the norm.  He seems to truly love living the simple life in a beautiful place with a passion for saving the reef and turtles; living life to the fullest for as long as he can.   I believe he knew of Mary's diagnosis.

 

Also, maybe the chance of suffering from Huntington's was why his relationship with Lamb was so unattached.  They cared for each other; they benefitted from each other, but they were also their own person, independent of each other.  Lamb didn't seem to care for getting involved with Freddy and his donors.  She went her own way, with no excuses or explanations.


 

I thought I read that he got tested when he was young and was negative. His personality wouldn't allow him not to know.

 

Contributor
reader_18
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎12-01-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Turtle Freddy, Lamb and Saving the Coral Reef

Freddy was one of my favorite characters in the book.  I actually had a hard time getting through the first part of the book so the section on Indonesia was wonderful for me.  I could clearly visualize the beach and the turtle pens.  I think it would have been wonderful to watch the turtles being released.  I didn't get a good sense of Lamb as a character.  I think that she could have been developed a little bit more.

Wordsmith
babzilla41
Posts: 252
Registered: ‎05-04-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Turtle Freddy, Lamb and Saving the Coral Reef


Zia01 wrote:

 


babzilla41 wrote:

Another question for the group: Is there any question around Freddy suffering from Huntington's? Has this been explained somewhere else in the novel?

 

I don't believe that it was directly addressed - although as a reader I considered it.  The odds are certainly there.  I thought that maybe the chance of inheriting the disease was the reason behind Freddy's life style; his decision not to "conform" to the norm.  He seems to truly love living the simple life in a beautiful place with a passion for saving the reef and turtles; living life to the fullest for as long as he can.   I believe he knew of Mary's diagnosis.

 

Also, maybe the chance of suffering from Huntington's was why his relationship with Lamb was so unattached.  They cared for each other; they benefitted from each other, but they were also their own person, independent of each other.  Lamb didn't seem to care for getting involved with Freddy and his donors.  She went her own way, with no excuses or explanations.


 

I thought I read that he got tested when he was young and was negative. His personality wouldn't allow him not to know.

 


When I posted my thought, I hadn't gotten to the part of the book that revealed that Freddy had been tested when he was younger.

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Inspired Correspondent
jb70
Posts: 179
Registered: ‎07-06-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Turtle Freddy, Lamb and Saving the Coral Reef

Both Freddy and Mary strike me as unconventional and very close to nature, I wonder if maybe in order to escape from their fther's progressive illness if they channeled their worry and pain into exploring nature.  I think he is  a bit conflicted about hte donors, he knows he needs them to continue his work but doesn't alwasy enjoy the need to wine and dine them and take time away from his real pursuits.  I had a hard time with the relationship between Lamb and Freddy, the didn't seem too close but must be if they are partners and they do live separately so maybe it is more of a friendship than a love affair.

http://bookbookseverywhere.blogspot.com/
Frequent Contributor
dj5775
Posts: 42
Registered: ‎03-22-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Turtle Freddy, Lamb and Saving the Coral Reef

What do you make of Freddy as Mary's brother? Is he who/what you might expect? How would you describe him?

He sounds like a great brother and I can see them in that relationship. He was portrayed as a big tough guy but shown as a soft hearted individual with a love for his home and his cause.


Do you get any clear sense of Freddy and Lamb's relationship, or who Lamb is, as a character?

Lamb was Freddy's girlfriend, she seemed motherly to him when he first moved there and resulted in a relationship. They dont live together and we didn't see much of her while they were on the trip.

 

What is his attitude toward the reef and the turtles?

Freddy loves the reef and turtles, he works to improve them both.

ct
Contributor
photogirlMO
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎07-28-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Turtle Freddy, Lamb and Saving the Coral Reef

What do you make of Freddy as Mary's brother? Is he who/what you might expect? How would you describe him?

 

I loved Freddy as Mary's brother. He was actually the perfect personality as a sibling to someone like Mary. He is funny, irreverant, unconventional and free spirited. For Mary who, whether she admits it in the beginning or not, knows that she has this disease that will take her mind, body and ultimately her life, she needs a sibling who has always known her and never treated her like she was sick or like there was a clock ticking on her life.

 

 

Do you get any clear sense of Freddy and Lamb's relationship, or who Lamb is, as a character?

 

I really didn't get a clear sense of their relationship. Lamb was not a dominant character. It seems to me that their relationship is built on mutual respect and a familiarity that is comforting to both of them, rather than a passionate connection that we love to read about :smileyhappy: It doesn't mean that their relationship isn't satisfying or that it won't last, it's just different.