Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
sarah_in_ca
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome and Introductions

Hi!  I'm Sarah and I live in Southern California.  I'm currently a Library and Information Science grad student.  I love reading books, researching genealogy, photographing birds, and following politics. 

It's very nice to meet you all!  I'm looking forward to reading this book and participating in the group discussion!  :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
Anna_Louise

Received my book yesterday.  Thanks, Paul & B&N...can't wait to get started reading on this snowy day in Maryland! :smileyhappy:

Anna Louise

Wordsmith
babzilla41

Eternal arrived in Central New York yesterday.  Thanks to Paul, Barnes & Noble, and that hard working UPS driver!!

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Frequent Contributor
patfayo
0 Kudos

The books have been shipped !!!  When I got home from work yesterday, mine was in my mailbox waiting for me.  I am hoping this is not a tearjerker.  I opened the first page and was reading the page 1 and the first sentence threw me off already.  I can't wit to get started reading...........

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

I'd be willing to bet I get mine today!  The brown truck doesn't get here until late afternoon/early evening, so I have awhile to wait!  

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Correspondent
PB684

I had a feeling that my book would arrive yesterday so I watched for the UPS truck all day. I spotted him around the block in the afternoon but was disappointed when that little brown truck didn't stop at my door. Around dinner time, just as I was giving up, the doorbell rang and, low and behold, there was my book! I can't wait to dive in. It snowed on Long Island this morning so I'm thinking that tonight would be perfect.

Paula:smileywink:

PB684
Frequent Contributor
bookworm_gp
0 Kudos

I live in Philly. My book came today but I can't open it yet because I'm not home. I'm really looking forward to starting it next year.

Happy New Year Everyone!!!:smileyvery-happy:

http://write-juncture.blogspot.com/
http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Gail_Pruszkowski
http://www.facebook.com/gail.pruszkowski
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/bookworm_gp

PB684
0 Kudos

patfayo wrote:

The books have been shipped !!!  When I got home from work yesterday, mine was in my mailbox waiting for me.  I am hoping this is not a tearjerker.  I opened the first page and was reading the page 1 and the first sentence threw me off already.  I can't wit to get started reading...........

Hi patfayo,

Oh, I would say this is definitely going to be a tearjerker! I don't mind though. Some of my favorite books...life-changing books...have been tearjerkers. They are usually very cathartic. I am about 4 chapters in and enjoying it already.

I have a question for you Paul...are you going to post a reading schedule on Monday or before the discussion starts? I don't want to get too far ahead (which is a definite possibility:smileywink:)

Paula

Happy New Year to all!

PB684
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

PB684 wrote:

patfayo wrote:

Hi patfayo,

Oh, I would say this is definitely going to be a tearjerker! I don't mind though. Some of my favorite books...life-changing books...have been tearjerkers. They are usually very cathartic. I am about 4 chapters in and enjoying it already.

I have a question for you Paul...are you going to post a reading schedule on Monday or before the discussion starts? I don't want to get too far ahead (which is a definite possibility:smileywink:)

Paula

Happy New Year to all!

Rachel should post the schedule by the end of the upcoming week.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

PaulH wrote:

Paul, Rachel -- any chance we can know the first chunk sooner?  Otherwise, I think it is going to be easy to run ahead -- the opening sentence sent me for a spin last night!

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

.Questions by the end of next week..Ready for Jan 11th. Welcome back Rachel..Thanks Paul for updating us...Vtc. Need a Hot Chocolate now!!

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

PaulH wrote:

Paul, Rachel -- any chance we can know the first chunk sooner?  Otherwise, I think it is going to be easy to run ahead -- the opening sentence sent me for a spin last night!

Pepper

You'll have to ask Rachel. She handles the reading schedule. Try sending her a PM, Pepper.

Inspired Contributor
Popper19
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

dreyslibrary wrote:

Popper19 wrote:

I'm Becky from Wisconsin.  I've been participating in the first look club since the beginning and really love it!  I'm married with two young sons (5 yo and 10 month old).  I'm currently snowed in!  I can't wait for the snow plow to get here!!

Hi Becky! I'm in WI too--we're supposed to get more snow, just in time for Christmas Eve... =)

Now that it's here I'm enjoying it.....it was nice to have a white christmas too.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi, Sarah! Welcome to the group. I hope you enjoy the book and discussion. :smileywink:

sarah_in_ca wrote:

Hi!  I'm Sarah and I live in Southern California.  I'm currently a Library and Information Science grad student.  I love reading books, researching genealogy, photographing birds, and following politics. 

It's very nice to meet you all!  I'm looking forward to reading this book and participating in the group discussion!  :smileyhappy:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

It's good to have you with us, Sheena. Welcome!

BaseballMomma wrote:

Hi! My name is Sheena, and this is my first book in the First Look book club. I'm excited to get the book and start reading it, especially after seeing the video of the author. I'm a stay-at-home mom of two little boys (2 yrs. old and 7 mo. old), so doing this book club will be a nice break from them, lol! I love reading anything and everything from my daily newspaper to a romance novel or to a presidential biography. Looking forward to chatting with everybody about the book!

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi, Leslie. Welcome to the group!  :smileywink:

LadyMin wrote:

Hello everyone. I'm Leslie and I live in the suburbs near Chicago where I work in a downtown office. 

This is my first time participating in First Look and I'm excited to be a part of it. I love reading, gardening, photography, bird watching and being outdoors. I need more hours in each day!

Frequent Contributor
Rabid_Reader
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I'm Rabid_Reader and I'm so happy to be involved in another First Look. I've been involved with the program quite a few times now, and I think it's an awesome online program that allows readers to not only interact with each other but also with the authors of the books they are reading. I'm an English major, so I devour books like normal people eat and drink food and water. I just received my book recently, and I will be beginning to read it soon (first I have to finish up "Gone With the Wind" for one of my classes). I look forward to reading the book and discussing it with all of you! Welcome to all of the new first look readers and to all of the seasoned veterans :smileyhappy:

Rabid_Reader

Peppermill
0 Kudos

I've already decided that I wanted to let the book, not a schedule, set the pace for me on this one!  (I have formulated a one sentence review already, although I have not finished the read!  Me, who usually has trouble with writing a review.)

PaulH wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

PaulH wrote:

Pepper

You'll have to ask Rachel. She handles the reading schedule. Try sending her a PM, Pepper.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke

Started reading the book tonight. I am on page 90. I had to force myself to stop reading. JM is a great writer -the story flows. I will read to the end of the section called "Maine" and then stop since the schedule has not been posted. That's what I decided to do since I am already anxious to read more! Just when u think the First look book u r reading is the best ever, the next one proves u wrong!
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
PB684
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:
Started reading the book tonight. I am on page 90. I had to force myself to stop reading. JM is a great writer -the story flows. I will read to the end of the section called "Maine" and then stop since the schedule has not been posted. That's what I decided to do since I am already anxious to read more! Just when u think the First look book u r reading is the best ever, the next one proves u wrong!

That's a great idea Eadie! I was trying to decide how far to go because I don't want to get too far ahead. Normally I tend to devour a book, especially one that flows this easily, and then I am reluctant to post any opinions because I don't want to spoil anything. I am a little behind you in pages because I keep stopping myself and then fighting the urge to read "just one more chapter". Now I have given myself permission to read to the end of this section! What a liberating feeling:smileyvery-happy:

Paula

PB684