Contributor
SabH-CrystalReviews

Re: All Spoilers Welcome Thread

I really think she left us without a clue for too long. It did keep the mystery going but then it seemed to resolve in a matter of seconds, like one lonely scene. I loved the 'fallen angel' story but she dropped the bomb too quick and late.. In my opnion.

I cant wait for the next one though, it will be much more interesting now that we know the story!

Contributor
mjcwriter

Catalina:

YEs! Twilight rip-off for he exact same reasons and then some: Nora living with her mom only and always on her own, plain Jane type, reserved and very bookish, going to new neighborhoods to explore and the location: Portland! Etc.

But, I did devour the book, the writing was quick, concise and drew me in.Patch was fun to read about and the sexual tension bwtn him and Nora was hot, but age appropriate too.

The problems I have with the plot:

Too many contradicting/overlapping issues: would someone who celebrates a Jewish holiday be able to recall what their tutor taught from the Bible (in the prologue)

What is the deal w/the iron pills?

Vee seems to be over the top in some scenes and just fizzle in others, not consistent.

The gym scene REALLY bothered me : where the heck was Patch when Nora was scaling up the ladder to the rafter? He was "speaking to  her mind" but why didn't he fight off Chauncey?

There were awkward gaps bwtwn big scenes: the fire at her house, the night at the school and then when the cops show up the next day - her mom is just getting home??

And speaking of, if the cops weren't involved in the whole deal with Chauncey and the Nephils (like I thought they were) they why were they such jerks? And if she's only 17 (16?) they would not be allowed to interrogate her without a parent..

Little things: like when her mom mentions to Patch "wouldn't that be cold?" (swimming in lakes) and he reacted weird, I thought it would tell us Mom knew what Patch was...

Who was the girl Patch fell for that got old and died?  And why didn't his angel girlfriend freak out then?

Those are just some gripes..

I thought the ending was weak - cause now that Patch is a guardian angel, yes its sweet, but he still can't "feel" Nora.  I thought he would still be able to become human ... bummed.

what I loved will be in another post (see, I'm not all negative nellie!)

Mary Jo

Creative Writing Teacher for Young Adults
Blogging at:
http://writerinspired.wordpress.com
http://writelikeCRAZY.wordpress.com
Reader 2
Bonnie_the_book_lover
0 Kudos

Ok. I totally loved this book. I had this feeling that Patch was going to end up being the hero because on the back of the book it says that they fall for each other and it was obvious that it wasn't going to be a story where the main character falls in love with a murderer, which I'm happy about. Anyway, I had this totally creepy feeling about Jules the whole time because he kept disappearing and it was just really sketchy. I thought that the readers were kept in the dark about what was going on a little too long, but that was part of the reason that I couldn't put the book down until I was done. I literally stayed up all night to read it, I had some coffee and was able to watch the sunrise when I was done. But anyway, now Patch is Nora's guardian angel and that is really sweet so I'm excited for the next book but we have to wait over a year, and I'm going to die of impatience. But I lived through it when I had to wait the two years between the sixth and seventh books of Harry potter, and that was brutal, but I got through it. Anyway, I love Patch, and I love Nora. Nora is a heroine, not someone who is a loner (Bella from Twilight) that meets a guy and becomes a codependent freak. Seriously, that's why twilight sucks, one of the main reasons anyway, there are many others. And Patch had a dark side, a dark mysterious past, it was intriguing and sexy as hell. I definitely see myself rereading this books many times in the future.

Frequent Contributor
KateBrianIsAwesome
0 Kudos

I loved this book so much! I knew Patch was a good guy and cared a lot about Nora. When Elliot came into the picture I was like NOOO she can't fall for him she belongs with Patch. I knew there was something up Elliot's sleeve. Jules I had suspected him all along as the stalker of Nora's. This book was the first book in a long time to keep my attention and never want to put it down. I loved the chemistry between Nora and Patch I couldn't wait til they were together again whenever they were apart in the book. My favorite quote was the one Patch said to Nora " People change but the past stays the same." it went something like that. I liked it when he started to tell her the answers she wanted to know. I loved the ending when Nora sacrifices herself and in the end she still lives and its because Patch wanted her to stay even if it meant he didn't get to become human. But now he's her guardian angel. I can't wait for the next book even though it doesn't come to stores fall of next year.

Reading can only make you more happy and smarter. :smileyhappy:

Visit my blog at http://teenbibliophile.blogspot.com/

- Mallory
Inspired Correspondent
jb70
0 Kudos

I wish I had found this thread two weeks ago, I came home from a family vacation to find the book waiting for me and read it all that weekend.  I really enjoyed it and thought it was a great read.  It was interesting reading through other people's thoughts about the books and seeing which things I had also noticed and what I had missed. 

I agree that Marcie Miller was a stereotype, but perhaps since the focus of the story was one the main characters the author wasn't too worried about expanding her.  I'm not sure it would have lent much to the story and it made it more believable when she was beat up and Patch and Nora were called into question for it.  The iron pills seemed odd, it was almost like she was diabetic but instead of needing insulin she needed iron.  I thought the idea that this issue was related to her being descended from a fallen angel was interesting, that I hadn't really thought about while I was racing through the book.

With the car accident and falling from the ride the idea that it was all in her mind, that her reality was created by what she believed seemed very metaphysical.  I know Patch or maybe Jules, I can't remember now, said this was possible because her mind was weak (which did remind me of Harry Potty working with Professor Snape to defend his mind so Voldamort couldn't enter it), but why was her mind weak?  Are all our minds weak?  Just like everyone remembers the same event a bit differently based on their own perception and the filter through which they view things, how much can our perception be changed by hearing someone else's, how was it she was able to so quickly doubt what she thought was true?  Was it because the evidence disappeared?

I didn't really like Vee, I wanted to but didn't.  She seemed to lack common sense and was more impressed by Elliot's outward appearance than his actions, Jules constant disappearing didn't seem to faze her (although I guess he could have been using the same tactics he did not Nora on Vee and making her believe things that were other than the truth), and she didn't seem to care about school at all (I know that is common but it is a trait that really bugs me).  She seemed very superficial.

The part I had trouble believing was that Nora's mother would allow her to stay alone at night at a remote house.  She was too young to be alone all night long and just checking in each night on the phone was not enough.  I realize her father was dead and her mom had to work, but selling the house and taking a local job would make much more sense than leaving a teenager on her own that much.

All said, it was a great read.  I was so excited when I finished it I looked at Becca's website and found the name of the sequel due next fall.  I hope it goes into more detail about angels!

http://bookbookseverywhere.blogspot.com/
Contributor
emers0207

Think-Im-Listening wrote:

Am I the only one who flat out hated the book? In the beginning Nora is constantly using her iron pills, then they just drop out for a few chapters until it's convienent for her to use them again. And isn't Nora supposed to be a descendant of chauncey? Why would he try to kill her then? I thought that Patch's affection for Nora came basically out of nowhere. But I suppose that how most relationships in teen books go.

You are definitely not the only one - I hated the book too - although I do think we are in the minority. 

I completely agree about the iron pills and also about Patch's affection coming out of nowhere.  the whole thing made no sense to me.   First he plans on killing her and then after getting know her he changes his mind.  That I can understand, but what makes him change his mind???  We never see any moment when he starts to fall for her, we never see anything that she does that stands out and makes him all of a sudden begin to see her in a new light. 

Also what in the world attracts Nora to Patch.  Hey,  I get the whole bad boy thing, but any time this good girl falls for bad boy theme comes up (whether in literature, movies or real life) it usually falls into one of two camps.   Either the boy, while bad to everyone else, shows his tender side to the girl or else the girl harbors an illusion that she can tame him and make him change his ways.  Neither of these sides is ever shown.  Patch treats Nora horribly from the get go, they never once have a nice conversation or a meaningful talk, it's all just him making sexual innuendos at her.   Any self-respecting girl (and Nora appears to be) would have ditched such a loser long ago.  Any guy who sees a girl as nothing more than a sex object is not a catch by any means.  It was especially confusing because Nora says she never had a boyfriend because her standards are too high and no guy at school ever met them.  How in the world does Patch meet these high standards??? 

Overall, I though the book was poorly written, didn't flow well, most of the characters were one-dimensional, the theology made no sense, and most of the scenes were annoying, improbable and full of stupid behavior.  No offense to those who liked it, I just didn't get the book.

Contributor
Nikkayme
0 Kudos

I really enjoyed Hush, Hush. Unlike many YA novels, I felt that Nora was a strong character that didn't come off as being whiny or a constant damsel in distress (though she is in distress often). The focus of the novel wasn't necessarily on Patch, it was on Nora and I liked that. A lot of YA novels that have the love story plotline tend to focus on the male character and kind of forget about the female character. I've read some books where I have actually come to hate the main female character and I only continuing reading it because I like that character only when she's with another.

With Hush, Hush, I liked Nora the entire way through the novel. She is well-developed and seems to have many layers. Her attraction to Patch and her intrigue in him makes her do some irrational things, but he doesn't control her completely. She never seems to lose who she is in trying to figure out who Patch is.

As for Vee, I did enjoy her character a lot. She brings a great deal of comedy to the novel. It is clear that Vee truly cares for Nora, but once Elliot and Jules come into the picture it is hard to determine who Vee really is. So much of what she says and does is not necessarily herself and that may turn some readers off. Vee is a very strong character and her relationship with Nora appears to be very important. I hope her character is explored a little more in Crescendo and we get to see Vee's true feelings regarding Patch.

Inspired Contributor
Think-Im-Listening
0 Kudos

emers0207 wrote:

You are definitely not the only one - I hated the book too - although I do think we are in the minority. 

I completely agree about the iron pills and also about Patch's affection coming out of nowhere.  the whole thing made no sense to me.   First he plans on killing her and then after getting know her he changes his mind.  That I can understand, but what makes him change his mind???  We never see any moment when he starts to fall for her, we never see anything that she does that stands out and makes him all of a sudden begin to see her in a new light. 

Also what in the world attracts Nora to Patch.  Hey,  I get the whole bad boy thing, but any time this good girl falls for bad boy theme comes up (whether in literature, movies or real life) it usually falls into one of two camps.   Either the boy, while bad to everyone else, shows his tender side to the girl or else the girl harbors an illusion that she can tame him and make him change his ways.  Neither of these sides is ever shown.  Patch treats Nora horribly from the get go, they never once have a nice conversation or a meaningful talk, it's all just him making sexual innuendos at her.   Any self-respecting girl (and Nora appears to be) would have ditched such a loser long ago.  Any guy who sees a girl as nothing more than a sex object is not a catch by any means.  It was especially confusing because Nora says she never had a boyfriend because her standards are too high and no guy at school ever met them.  How in the world does Patch meet these high standards??? 

Overall, I though the book was poorly written, didn't flow well, most of the characters were one-dimensional, the theology made no sense, and most of the scenes were annoying, improbable and full of stupid behavior.  No offense to those who liked it, I just didn't get the book.

I think I have to appaud you for putting into words what I could not. I looked back to when Patch had the knife and was going to kill Nora. She freaked out about her hair. A scene I particularly hated was when vee says she'd take Nora's coat and Pretend to be her. I thought it would make more sense that nora would pretend to be nora and vee follows.

"If your heart wears thin, I will hold you up, and I will hide you when it gets too much" -Mariana's Trench
Contributor
Booksx3
0 Kudos

Lets just get this out of the way..... I LOVED the book haha anyway, i kept trying too guess what was going too happen next but  i couldnt  that was one part that i loved because most books you can guess at. Patch is beyond words hes everything every girl in the word that likes bad boys would want, sexy smart dangerous always keep you on your toes kinda guy . For a min. i did think he was going too kill nora when he tossed her on the bed like that {omg hot moment ,even if he was mad he was sooooo feeling nora at that point}  All in all tho who would have guessed that kinda twist were coming . Amazing Book

Frequent Contributor
tato
0 Kudos

Hi, everyone!

I LOVED this book, too. It's fast-paced and the characterization is very well-done. I agree with someone on the similarity to Final Destination 3 with the Archangel scene. When I was reading it, I immediately thought of that movie (a crappy movie at that), but the scene in Hush, Hush, is lots better, of course.

The only thing that nearly killed me while reading was the missing pages in my copy. There were several missing! The worst is that in one of the most important scenes of the book, where Nora touches Patch's scar the first time and learns about him, there were 9 pages I couldn't read, so I lost the core of the whole scene. The next thing I saw was that she was shouting at Patch he was there to kill her, but I didn't know exactly why...I did figure it out later, but I would really like to know what happens in that scene with Dabria. Coudl someone give me a quick peep, please?

Contributor
saren

Honestly I wasn't  impressed with this book either.   I read a lot of YA fiction, but I am not a YA.  Maybe that's part of the problem.  There's so many moments in the book that make no sense.  From a mom's point of view, I can't imagine why on Earth Nora's mom would leave her alone, especially after her father was brutally murdered.  I get that they wanted to save the farmhouse, but really, leaving my child would not be an option.  Pay the housekeeper to stay overnight or have her spend the nights at Vee's.  I know the character is portrayed as responsible, mature, etc, but the mother just seems completely out of touch with what's going on in Nora's life. 

I thought the whole scene with her trying to question the bartender about Patch was just silly.  Why bring a costume to change in the restroom?  And why invite the guys?  There were other scenes that just didn't sit right with me. 

On the flip side, I thought the overall premise was intriguing.  I just wish that part of it would have been developed more. 

Beauty is whatever gives joy. ~Edna St. Vincent Millay
Reader 4
smartykmw
0 Kudos

I liked the book, but I didn't LOVE the book.   It was fast paced, and the writing was good; I would definitely read the sequel.  I expected Patch to be the mysterious boy from the first chapter, but I was really thinking Elliot would end up being Chauncey, or maybe that  Elliot & Jules were "avenging angels" looking for Patch.  I think the whole height thing threw me off with Jules, and I just expected him to be a minor character.  I also expected that Patch's friend Rixon would make another appearance at the end, or that he would somehow play into the main storyline.  I'm not sure how I feel about the ending to the book...on one hand it is a more "realistic" ending in that everything didn't play out perfectly for Patch & Nora.  On the other hand, I really wanted them to be together as humans :smileyhappy:  I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens in the next book.

Inspired Contributor
Popper19
0 Kudos

Think-Im-Listening wrote:

Am I the only one who flat out hated the book?

Nope you're not the only one who hated it!  I just finished  5 minutes ago.  The prologue held such promise, but I just didn't get it  - I kept reading and reading hoping there would be some cohesive details and a summation of some of the facts, but it just didn't get there for me. 

Contributor
ras1513
0 Kudos

I love this book!!!! I knew Patch was going be the hero in the end, at least I hoped he would. I agree with a lot of you that Vee was very annoying however I found her to be accurate to some teenage girls, so I think it worked. I also thought when they went to the amusement park that Jules was the one who was messing with Nora, he was really creepy! However I did not see Noras Psych being an angel that threw me way off guard :smileysurprised: Did any of you find that to take you buy surprise?

Rachel =)

Correspondent
nicole21WA

[ Edited ]

I liked the book far more in the beginning.  Some aspects of the plot just didn't come together well enough by the end.  But since I'm a little beyond the YA audience, I think many will love it (and it looks like many here did).  I think the portrayal of the cops disturbed me the most.  I didn't mind them questioning Nora without her mom because she wasn't under arrest.  However, they definitely should've notified her mom about their response, so it was ridiculous that she didn't know why the cop commented that he knew Nora.

Just some of my other issues:  an over the top iron deficiency that conveniently appeared when drama was needed; her father was murdered (a big deal!) but it didn't have any plot connection except to give her a distant mom; distant mom is more concerned about the house than daughter's safety with no explanation of "mom has always been self-absorbed, I was closer to dad"; Nora being stupid enough not to question Miss Greene who would be Dr. Greene if she'd been legit as well as Nora and Vee being ridiculously stupid many times, especially the night of the "party" in Portland.

emers0207 wrote:

I actually think Nora only told herself that her standards were too high for the boys at school.  Maybe I missed it, but was there any indication that any other boy had ever shown even the slightest interest in her?  I had the impression that Patch was the first boy to ever like Nora.  She seemed pretty isolated.  I understand having a best friend, but it seemed that Vee was her only friend.  I totally bought someone like Nora falling for Patch.

Correspondent
GreenFairyLV
0 Kudos

The end when Patch becomes Nora's guardian angel doesn't that mean they will never be together?  He says he can't feel, but he kisses her.  If they did try to be a couple wouldn't that banish him again? And how hard will it be to watch Nora fall in love with someone else, grow old and die?

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Overall the book was good. The 2 endings, either work for me. But I do like the one in the ARC a little more.

I liked the take with the angels. Even angels made mistakes.

pen21

Frequent Contributor
mgmama33
0 Kudos

I never doubted for a minute that Patch was a fallen angel who was going to do go, but I read along and wondered the whole time how Becca was going to tie it all together.  I was like Nora in high school and attracted to the "bad or mysterious" guys like Patch appeared to be, so it was fun to relive that feeling so many years later.  Thanks Becca for making me young at heart still!

Contributor
saren
0 Kudos

Patch said he was planning on killing Nora the night he made tacos at her house, but she changed his mind.  I went back and reread that scene, but I can't really get a feel for when that important moment may have come.  Any input?

Beauty is whatever gives joy. ~Edna St. Vincent Millay
Correspondent
molie111
0 Kudos

I really loved the book!!!!!!!!

And just so you know, just because someone is related or whatever or a desendent doesn't mean they won't kill them. There is always people who kill othesr that are their family. And Chauncey wanted to kill Nora because he wanted to hurt Patch.