Contributor
AliceLee428
0 Kudos

Re: All Spoilers Welcome Thread

I enjoyed the book for the most part.  At first, it reminded me of Twilight.  I loved Patch's character but I found Vee excruciatingly annoying.  Liked the mystery aspect, but I ended up being quite confused at the end...will have to go back and reread, I think.

Contributor
sararhiannonm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just finished my review: http://mylifeisaneffingfairytale.blogspot.com/2009/09/book-review-hush-hush.html

I found the mythology, or lore, behind this tale to be a fascinating and unique idea. How often to you read a paranormal romance about something besides vampires and werewolves nowawadays? Not too often. Learning about angels and nephilim was very refreshing after repeatedly reading incarnations of the currents trends in YA fiction.

Most of the book led up to the final action in the last hundred pages or less... but I didn't mind it. I enjoyed spending time with the characters. Vee was funny -- sometimes obnoxious and a terrible friend, but she redeemed herself in the end. It really bothered me how Vee treated Nora -- ditching her for guys and only believing what she wanted to believe, but those detrimental aspects of her character made her very believable and realistic. The facts is, as close as you may be with someone, you're always going to do things to hurt each other and you just have to be able to move on past those things. If you internalize them, your friendship won't last. I did feel that Nora was pretty spineless sometimes but that's how the dynamic of her and Vee's friendship works. They are foils of eachother, in a way. Polar opposites. Nora really toughened up in the end of the book though. She wasn't sure of herself. That's how I used to be. She had always been shy and was a people-pleaser. She cared about her friend Vee and hadn't had enough life experiences yet to have any strong convictions about anything, really. Their friendship worked for what she needed at the time. Nora really toughened up in the end of the book though. I was proud of her for being a fighter and a survivor. I think if we see a sequel, we will see Nora grow up tremendously. She will become her own person. A stronger person.

This book spotlighted Nora and Vee's relationship more than Nora and Patch's, but I feel this was so because this novel is an introductory novel. Patch was intended to be a mystery -- a mystery that Vee and Nora were trying to solve, together. When Nora figured Patch out, it was near the end of the novel so their strong feelings for each other didn't seem realistic. It wasn't so unrealistic that it was a dealbreaker, just they hadn't spent enough time together, in front of the readers. They just kind of jumped from the mystery and ulterior motives to love. They didn't have many experiences together to make me LOVE them together, as a couple and as a team. Not yet. But I do like them together and want to see more of them. I feel a sequel to Hush, Hush would be a prime opportunity to place more emphasis on the couple and build their relationship. I loved this book but I feel a sequel is needed so it won't be a big tease, giving us too little, too late.

I've gotta say, Becca, this was such a fun read! Thank you for your writing and I hope to see a lot more coming from you : )

Contributor
Kelsey94
0 Kudos

I just loved this book! I'm kind of disappointed there's going to be a new ending, but I'm definitely looking forward to reading it. Great book(:

Correspondent
Rosei
0 Kudos

I finish the book yesterday and I loved it! Of course it has too many fantastic and mysterious things, a dark side that sounds exciting and adventurous, but that's for YA for sure. Themes like that call their attention, because life in real world can be somehow slow and too "normal" on their eyes. Fantasy, mystery and danger are the ingredients to catch this sort of readers' attention, because they somewhat like fairy tales and fables, and they are still building their identity about individual and social reality.

By another point, I liked the change of background. I'm getting tired of vampires and undead creatures. Also, I find disgusting the thing related to blood, to feed yourself from human beings, the pale complexion, the toxic environment and all that. I appreciated so much the book about angels and their punishment for being bad, and their absolution through sacrifice, love and purification.

I'm glad to participate and read all points of view. People are free to like a book or not, to appreciate certain kinds of themes or not, and that's what make the discussion going on. Congratulations on your points of view and for expressing yourself so freely! I know that Becca and her editor are taking all opinions in to consideration :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Kourt
0 Kudos

I like most of  the readers here have finished the book. I did like the the story line. But was uncertain about the underlying Twilight feeling. I think this there is potential for a awesome seris here and look forward to more of Becca's work in the future.

Distinguished Correspondent
lmpmn
0 Kudos

I'd like to start off by saying that I think this book series has a ton of potential.  That being said, I wanted so much more!!  I agree with several of you in posts above who have written about how important parts of the plot are missing.  I still want to know how Patch found Nora in the first place.  When Dabria mentioned Nora's name as the one who needed saving, Patch already knew who she was.  How and when did he first see her?  How long has he been following her?  What made him fall in love with her, and if he fell in love with her and kind of already knew that, why was he still thinking about killing her with the knife in her house while he was making tacos?

A really important point for me was that I wanted to learn so much more about the world of fallen angels and Nephilim.  I thought maybe she would create a world in the book where she could give us so much more information about the supernatural.  I was left feeling disappointed that so much was left out about that.

I also agree about the relationship between Nora and Patch.  There was quite a lot of banter and innuendo which is probably normal for younger people (Nora), but Patch should have been able to carry on quite a conversation being he's (I'm assuming) close to thousands of years old.  I do wish Nora's character would have been more aggressive and self-respecting.  By aggressive I mean standing up for herself and not just falling for Patch so easily.

I will read the second book because I'm hoping for more background information on the supernatural aspects of the book's world.  If I don't get it then, I wouldn't read the third if there was one.

Happiness is a warm blanket!
Contributor
AmandaJillian
0 Kudos

Yeah Jules always seemed suspect to me

Contributor
AmandaJillian
0 Kudos

Hey FictionGroupie there's just one thing wrong with your review. Vee was being supernaturally influence, Jules said he had made her think it was Patch that was attacking her. He made her just ignore basically everything Nora told her that put Elliot in a bad light.

Contributor
Cp310
0 Kudos

I loved this book :smileyvery-happy:

It was so intriguing & really well put together. There was some things that pushed me away at first like it haveing some similarities with Twilight . I'm happy it was totally different :smileyhappy:

I'm at the edge of a cliff with nowhere to go, but down
-Unknown
Author
Becca-Fitzpatrick

Wow!  This has been an interesting thread :smileyhappy:

I'm not quite done reading yet, but I thought I'd point out that a few of you made references to how some pretty impossible things happen in the book - like the detectives not notifying Nora's mother when they came over - and interestingly enough, many of those things actually happened to people I knew, or to myself.  I guess it's true when they say life is stranger than fiction :smileyhappy:

Becca

Author
Becca-Fitzpatrick
0 Kudos

sararhiannonm wrote:

I just finished my review: http://mylifeisaneffingfairytale.blogspot.com/2009/09/book-review-hush-hush.html

I found the mythology, or lore, behind this tale to be a fascinating and unique idea. How often to you read a paranormal romance about something besides vampires and werewolves nowawadays? Not too often. Learning about angels and nephilim was very refreshing after repeatedly reading incarnations of the currents trends in YA fiction.

Most of the book led up to the final action in the last hundred pages or less... but I didn't mind it. I enjoyed spending time with the characters. Vee was funny -- sometimes obnoxious and a terrible friend, but she redeemed herself in the end. It really bothered me how Vee treated Nora -- ditching her for guys and only believing what she wanted to believe, but those detrimental aspects of her character made her very believable and realistic. The facts is, as close as you may be with someone, you're always going to do things to hurt each other and you just have to be able to move on past those things. If you internalize them, your friendship won't last. I did feel that Nora was pretty spineless sometimes but that's how the dynamic of her and Vee's friendship works. They are foils of eachother, in a way. Polar opposites. Nora really toughened up in the end of the book though. She wasn't sure of herself. That's how I used to be. She had always been shy and was a people-pleaser. She cared about her friend Vee and hadn't had enough life experiences yet to have any strong convictions about anything, really. Their friendship worked for what she needed at the time. Nora really toughened up in the end of the book though. I was proud of her for being a fighter and a survivor. I think if we see a sequel, we will see Nora grow up tremendously. She will become her own person. A stronger person.

This book spotlighted Nora and Vee's relationship more than Nora and Patch's, but I feel this was so because this novel is an introductory novel. Patch was intended to be a mystery -- a mystery that Vee and Nora were trying to solve, together. When Nora figured Patch out, it was near the end of the novel so their strong feelings for each other didn't seem realistic. It wasn't so unrealistic that it was a dealbreaker, just they hadn't spent enough time together, in front of the readers. They just kind of jumped from the mystery and ulterior motives to love. They didn't have many experiences together to make me LOVE them together, as a couple and as a team. Not yet. But I do like them together and want to see more of them. I feel a sequel to Hush, Hush would be a prime opportunity to place more emphasis on the couple and build their relationship. I loved this book but I feel a sequel is needed so it won't be a big tease, giving us too little, too late.

I've gotta say, Becca, this was such a fun read! Thank you for your writing and I hope to see a lot more coming from you : )

Thanks for taking the time to write up a review for your blog, Sara - I appreciate it!
And glad you enjoyed the story!
Becca

Distinguished Correspondent
ClaudiaLuce
0 Kudos

I finished this book almost immediately, the day after it arrived.  I loved this book and have preordered three copies for my middle school library.  The kids will love it!

I have not posted during this discussion because of a tragedy that has occurred at our school.  One of my students was hit by a bus 10 days ago. He remained in a coma until Sunday, when he passed away.  Please forgive me for not taking part in the discussions, but my mind was too focused on Wyatt and his family.

I have to say that when I read YA fiction, I don't read as an adult, I have to read as a 12 - 15 year old, just as i do when I am reviewing books for the Georgia Children's Book Awards, otherwise how would I pick out books that they would enjoy?  As a teacher of  children ranging in age from 11 to 14, you sometimes just have to put yourself in their shoes. If you didn't you would never reach them!  Hush, Hush is the kind of novel these kids WILL read.  I want my kids to read. ANYTHING.  If I can get kids to read, they will become literate.  That is the main goal.  Let's get them wanting to read anything they can get their hands on.  Then, they will develop their own tastes in literature later on!  Right now, let's just get them wanting to read instead of being glued to the tv or the video games.  Hush, Hush is one of those books, so thank you Becca Fitzpatrick for writing us novels that my kids will read!!

Claudia

"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." -
-- Sir Richard Steele
dhaupt
0 Kudos

ClaudiaLuce wrote:

I finished this book almost immediately, the day after it arrived.  I loved this book and have preordered three copies for my middle school library.  The kids will love it!

I have not posted during this discussion because of a tragedy that has occurred at our school.  One of my students was hit by a bus 10 days ago. He remained in a coma until Sunday, when he passed away.  Please forgive me for not taking part in the discussions, but my mind was too focused on Wyatt and his family.

I have to say that when I read YA fiction, I don't read as an adult, I have to read as a 12 - 15 year old, just as i do when I am reviewing books for the Georgia Children's Book Awards, otherwise how would I pick out books that they would enjoy?  As a teacher of  children ranging in age from 11 to 14, you sometimes just have to put yourself in their shoes. If you didn't you would never reach them!  Hush, Hush is the kind of novel these kids WILL read.  I want my kids to read. ANYTHING.  If I can get kids to read, they will become literate.  That is the main goal.  Let's get them wanting to read anything they can get their hands on.  Then, they will develop their own tastes in literature later on!  Right now, let's just get them wanting to read instead of being glued to the tv or the video games.  Hush, Hush is one of those books, so thank you Becca Fitzpatrick for writing us novels that my kids will read!!

Claudia

Claudia how awful and how tragic for the students to bear such a tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are with you, your students, faculty and parents.