Contributor
Teddyree
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters: 1-9

How does Nora feel when she and Patch are paired up in Biology class? She's definitely less than thrilled but there is already a physical attraction simmering away. 

When do you notice a shift in Nora's feelings? I think that while she's a little scared of the danger Patch represents, she also finds the pull & the danger exciting and something new to her

Does she share anything in common with Patch below the surface? hmm not sure, something about Nora's birthmark makes me think they share something in common

Has Patch been following Nora? Yes I think so but I don't think the motive will be what it appears to be now.

What do you make of Nora feeling that she can hear Patch speak directly to her mind? It was weird she got that so quickly but took a while to pick up on other things

Do you think Vee really left Nora on her own at the Delphic? No, as self-involved as Vee is, I think that's something that was  put in her mind.

What do you make of the two incidents that Nora has had? The first, hitting a pedestrian who gets up and attacks her whenshe's driving home on a foggy night, the second, falling from the ride "The Archangel" but finding her self safe and unharmed after each event? Is Patch somehow involved?

I didn't think the 'deer' incident was Patch even though she had the impression of his eyes, I was fairly certain it was some other evil influence? and not too sure about the Archangel. I think it was Patch's doing but not sure of the reason why, why freak her out??

Frequent Contributor
JosieKramer
0 Kudos

Re: Feather

hookedonbooks09 wrote:

Oh, I don't think I missed anyone mentioning this, but...

What's with the feather on page 74?   I don't see any logic for it's presence!  Ideas?

Barb

I was wondering about the feather as well since it wasn't really defining a new section of the chapter.  Only thing I can think of is that it is an editorial error and will be taken out at the book's release. If it isn't, then I'm not sure it's really needed.  The book flows really well. 

And oddly while I know there are others, this was the first and ONLY one I "saw".  Which just makes me think again they aren't needed.  The book flows wonderfully, we don't need that "brain stopper" added.

www.thebookjournal.com
Josie Kramer
honest. book. reviews.
Correspondent
Rosei
0 Kudos

I think it marks a new section on the chapter, another stream of thoughts and events. Also, a first person narrative is usually broken by something that defines this new flow of thoughts. At least for me it works like that :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
JosieKramer
0 Kudos

The third time around that I read this book I will look closer at it. 

I think I just found it un-necessary since I was so into the book I didn't notice anything but the words :smileywink:

www.thebookjournal.com
Josie Kramer
honest. book. reviews.
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Re: Boundaries/Comfort level/Coercive Behavior

To Melissa_W...Glad you are going to finish Hush,Hush...and I fully understand what you are feeling,but lets remember."We do not know what century  Patch is from(except the reference at the beginning of the book)..now for the Coach..time will tell...Vtc.
Melissa_W wrote:
I'm glad you joined the group :smileyhappy:  I'll probably come back to the book once I whip my Frankenstein group into shape and get some more reading done of The Naked and the Dead; Ryan_Groff and I were tweeting about this the other day and I think he would de-friend me if I didn't at least finish Hush, Hush. :smileyvery-happy:
susan259 wrote:

I would really like to know what you think of the book...I hope you decide to keep reading.  Not that it excuses the early behavior, but later we do find out more about Patch (was that vague enough for you?)

That being said, I am hated by many Twilight fans because I feel that Edward and Bella's whole relationship basically mirrors that of a battered wife/girlfriend.  (I don't know if I can stop my self from hurting you, I love you so much you can't see or be friends with anyone else, let me kidnap you and control you to save you from your self...)

Susan

PS I am susan259 on twitter and got the book and joined the discussion because you mentioned it!

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Correspondent
nicole21WA
0 Kudos

Do you think Vee really left Nora on her own at the Delphic?

What do you make of the two incidents that Nora has had? The first, hitting a pedestrian who gets up and attacks her when she's driving home on a foggy night, the second, falling from the ride "The Archangel" but finding her self safe and unharmed after each event? Is Patch somehow involved?

I think these two go together.  While I find Vee annoying, I don't think she would ditch her friend.  Since Nora sees things that then apparently haven't really happened, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Vee was there the entire time.  Nora just couldn't see her because of whatever force was at work with those other two incidents.  I do think it all relates to Patch somehow though he may not be the one scaring Nora.  He seems to be looking out for her.

Contributor
dbug_13
0 Kudos

How does Nora feel when she and Patch are paired up in Biology class?

When Nora is first paired with Patch, she feels as though it is a cruel twist of fate and her frustration from being separated from her best friend Vee is very evident. Also, Nora feels uncomfortable around Patch and cannot help but to feel somehat threatened by his presence. Despite her many attempts to persuade her teacher to reconfigure the seating chart, it soon becomes apparent that her attempts are futile. Accepting this concept is a difficult task for Nora, but she decides that all she can do is to make the best of her situation and endure. However, if the opportunity for a seat change presents itself, Nora would not hesitate to position herself next to Vee again.

Does she share anything in common with Patch below the surface?

Although not much information has been shed on Patch as of yet, I think that both he and Nora are self-contained people that always have a certain part of themselves that they hide from the outside world. This place becomes a haven for them and is where they keep feelings and memories that they don't trust the world to understand.

Has Patch been following Nora?

Yes, I do believe that Patch has been following Nora, though not because he wants to do her any harm. Instead I think that Nora is facing some other unknown danger and that Patch is secretly following her to ensure her safety.

No, i do not believe that Vee intentionally left Nora behind at Delphic. As her best friend, Vee would never leave Nora unless she knew that Nora was safe and was with someone that could be trusted. Therefore, I believe that if Vee did leave Nora, then Vee was under the assumption that Nora was in the care of someone that would ensure her protection.

Distinguished Correspondent
Lil_Irish_Lass
0 Kudos

While I feel that the set-up is too similar to Twilight / etc to be original, on the whole Hush, Hush is off to a good start.

I got sucked in to the story by the third chapter and have to force myself to stop so I'm not tempted to read ahead and hold spoiler info in my mind.

I really love the cover design. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
0 Kudos

tato wrote:

Oh, I forgot to mention Elliot and Jules on my last post.

They are very nice addition to the story, bringing more mystery and question marks to the already mysterious and full of questions life of Nora. I knew, as everyone I think, that their arrival wasn't a coincidence, and that there was a hell lot more going on with them one the back, something weird lurking around them. Elliot, of course, seemed a really nice guy, and his interest in Nora seemed genuine. Jules aloofness though, was really suspicious from the beginning, and let's not talk about all his disappearances. This was the thing that led me to think that he knew Patch, and that Patch knew them. Since he first started wearing the cap, I got the feeling that he wanted to cover himself from Elliot (first at the softball game, then at Delphic). He wasn't using it before, but Elliot appears and...Bam! He starts hiding his face under the cap. So, there was something going on between them. That was obvious.

And let me say that the sexual tension between Patch and Nora sizzles in these chapters. The second day at Bio, is one of my favorite scenes. I could even feel myself blushing at Patch's witty comments. Great job!

Great catch on Patch wearing the baseball cap to hide his face from Elliot! I noticed he started wearing the cap when Elliot first appeared, but it never occurred to me he was using it to hide his face from him! Thanks for pointing out this possibility to me!

April
Distinguished Correspondent
Kyleigh
0 Kudos

Nora wasn't happy at all, which is understandable because Vee is her best friend and she'd obviously want to be paired with her.   Add onto the fact that Patch makes way too many sexual inuendos and makes her severely uncomfortable I wouldn't want to be partners with Patch either.

When do you notice a shift in Nora's feelings?

Hmmm, that's difficult.  Since I knew there was likely to be a romantic relationship between the two of them I was expecting it.  I would have to say after she went and interrogated him at Bo's Arcade.  She got a closer look at who he was, even though he was still guarded.  It's about the same time when she noticed things like his tight broad shoulders and such as well so I would definitely say around that time in the novel. 

It's hard to answer that question besides the obvious.  We don't get to see into Patch's personal life or history so the only thing that we know for sure they have in common (at this point in the novel) is that they both have had troubled pasts. 

From all that Patch knows about Nora, you would assume so.  Thought at this point in the novel, it's not revealed for certain whether he is or not you get the distinct feeling that he is.  Or  at least going places she'll likely to be.  There is no such thing as a coincidence when it comes to Patch. 

What do you make of Nora feeling that she can hear Patch speak directly to her mind?

What else could she possibly think?  Besides that she's gone off the deep end.  Patch already knows way too much about not only her personal life, but her inner thoughts as well.  Abnormal things have already been happening to her.  With the incident with the car, and it then suddenly magically fixing itself as if nothing had happened.  I would be freaked out as well.  And besdies checking myself into a mental hospital, it's the only logical explanation as to what's happening to her. 

Absolutely not!  I was screaming inside my head "What did they do with her?!"  I had a bad feeling that something bad had happened to Vee, but nothing did.  It was completely against Vee's character to leave Nora alone, so I didn't doubt for one second that Vee had really left her. 

Answering absurdly long question, which I shall not retype. 

That's hard to answer.  The Archangel I definitely thought that Patch was involved.  The guy with the car, not so much.  I was conflicted about it at the time I read it.  I felt for certain that Patch somehow created the illusion of Nora falling out, but I didn't believe for a second that he would attack her.

"There are two types of people in this world. People who hate clowns...and clowns."
Frequent Contributor
tato
0 Kudos

Hey, you're welcome April!!!

Since the beginning, it was so obvious to me that he was using the cap to hide his face. That was the trigger for me, the thing that led me to think they knew each other in some way (honestly, I thought they were avenging angels or something, and that they were looking for him). But later on, we get our answers--shocking answers.

Contributor
Galleysmith
0 Kudos

How does Nora feel when she and Patch are paired up in Biology class? When do you notice a shift in Nora's feelings?

Nora definitely isn't fond of Patch initially and I think she's horrified that she and Vee are going to be split up so that she can partner up with him.  I definitely sensed a bit of fear as well.  This was all short lived though as I felt a shift within the first few classes they shared.  I think despite her better judement she started to be intrigued by Patch, particularly when he wouldn't answer her questions about his life.  I also think she felt an immediate physical attraction to him and enjoyed his snarky and alluring comments.

Wow this is a hard one.  I think they share quite a bit not the least of which is both are outcasts at some level.  I also think both long for a connection to something/someone else.  She to her family and he to her.

It would seem that way.  He always magically appears anywhere she's at and at the most opportune moments.

What do you make of Nora feeling that she can hear Patch speak directly to her mind?

Do you think Vee really left Nora on her own at the Delphic?  What do you make of the two incidents that Nora has had? The first, hitting a pedestrian who gets up and attacks her when she's driving home on a foggy night, the second, falling from the ride "The Archangel" but finding her self safe and unharmed after each event? Is Patch somehow involved?

I think all of these questions are inter related.  Vee is flighty but I doubt she would ever leave Nora to her own devices.  It seems to me that there is certainly an other worldly element at work here.  Whether or not it gives the allusion of Vee being gone or if it pushed her away there is a reason (other than one Vee and Nora believes) why she is gone.  The loss of her presence obviously isolates Nora and provides opportunity for this being to perpetrate further nefarious tasks that throw Nora even further into chaos and as a result push her more towards Patch.

New User
WhatBriReads
0 Kudos

What a great book so far! If I didn't have so many other things interrupting, I think I would have read it all in one sitting. :smileyhappy: I'm about half way through and can't wait to see what happens.

She's upset that she's not sitting with her best friend anymore, and even more upset that Patch doesn't want to answer any of her questions.

I don't think there was really a definite shift. I think her curiosity/attraction was always there, and has just gradually built up so that she accepts it more.

I think maybe something about their similar birthmarks will be important. Other than that, I'm not sure.

In a way, yes. He seems to be able to know where she'll be at any time, and appear there.

I think he's definitely doing something. It doesn't seem to happen very often though, so I'm not quite sure what's going on with it.

No. I think that Patch somehow set it up to make it look like Vee wasn't there, so that Nora would have to ride home with him. But again, I'm not sure how.

What do you make of the two incidents that Nora has had? The first, hitting a pedestrian who gets up and attacks her when she's driving home on a foggy night, the second, falling from the ride "The Archangel" but finding her self safe and unharmed after each event? Is Patch somehow involved?

They're both strange and I'm not quite sure how they relate to everything else we know in the book. I think they definitely did happen as she remembers them, but something (or someone) is making them seem different after they've happened, and making her doubt what happened.

Correspondent
GreenFairyLV
0 Kudos

When it first happens Nora's only concern is she will no longer be sitting next to Vee.  She introduces herself to Patch and instantly, I think, feels an attraction to him which quickly turns to fear.  I think she finds it eerie that he has so much insight into her, without even knowing her, but more than that, she is aggravated that Patch will not open up to her about himself for she can complete the assignment.  The whole "sex" subject makes her uncomfortable and her initially reaction to the bad boy sexy Patch makes her even more uneasy.

Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

1. I know that I haven't posted yet because school has really kept me busy this week but I have read and I suspect that Patch put a little bit of influence on Coach to change the partners so that he could be closer to Nora.  I really enjoyed to book and I definitely think Nora is afraid of her feelings about Patch and so trys to keep some distance between them.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Debbie, I like your take on this book. Here are my answers to the  questions.

1. Nora does not like being partners with Patch. She wants to be partners with her friend, Vee. Nora does try to make the best of it at first, but Patch is not giving her any information about himself. Patch is arrogance and not revealing anything about himself. He claims that Nora is not yet ready to know. That raises questions for me. What is Patch's purpose and what does it have to do with Nora.

2. Yes, Nora seems attracted to him, but I am not sure that it is sexual. She wants answers to her questions.

3. I am not sure iif Patch is folowing Nora. He just may be at the same places at the same time or he is watching over her.

4. Nora does not like it when Patch is reading her mind. He knows things about her that only certain people would know.

5. Vee did not leave Nora, They are friends. I think that she was forced to leave perhaps Patch made her leave.

6. I think that the incidents are building up to something bigger and probably really bad. Nora is not sure what is going on., Patch is probably involved. He is protecting Nora, but I am still not sure that he did not cause these incidents to wake Nora up to something that involvies her in some way.

I am really liking this book. I want to know more about these characters and what is going to happen. This is a really good book and worth the read. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the book.

ReadingPatti

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Debbie, I have make it past chapter 9. I like this book.

I was wondering if you noticed the way the chapter numbers are made and the first captial letter of each chapter is? I also see that people have noticed the feather on page 74. I think that these things may have some to do with the story but I am not sure what just yet.

How are you liking this book?

Do you like the cover? I find it very interesting and most likely will have something to do with the story inside.

ReadingPatti

Frequent Contributor
mgmama33
0 Kudos

she is ticked off!  I would've been too if I was her

as she starts to warm up to Patch 

yes 

yes

kinda cool and creepy at the same time

No

What do you make of the two incidents that Nora has had? The first, hitting a pedestrian who gets up and attacks her when

she's driving home on a foggy night, the second, falling from the ride "The Archangel" but finding her self safe and unharmed after each event? Is Patch somehow involved?

Quite interesting....wasn't sure in the beginning 

Correspondent
Rosei
0 Kudos

She feel uncomfortable and asked Coach to change seat.

Just when Patch started teasing her not answering her questions.

I think their birthmarks are intriguing.

I don't think so, but also till now we cannot be sure if he hasn't.

He seems to have some sort of power towards Nora. I think that he is the one speaking to her mind. He seems to know so much about her and how to control her feelings and easily take her attention.

Definitely not. Vee would never leave her friend by herself out there. Maybe Patch made Nora thought she did leave and then he would take her home to protect or seduce her.

I think that there's something supernatural on both accidents, like they mean a kind of remembrance of the past, of a past live, a past event being again experienced. Maybe Patch is involved somehow, but I'm not sure by now.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal
0 Kudos

I could not stop reading through these first 9 chapters!  Patch is the ultimate "bad boy" that seems to attract many girls/women ( I myself married my "bad boy" from high school who had long hair and played the drums in a heavy metal band..who now wears a suit and tie to work every day and is an awesome father).  Nora is at first uncomfortable with the switch in Biology, but who would enjoy giving up their best friend for any other partner?  Patch also seems to know too much, and Nora is (rightly so) bothered by his knowledge and comments.  At the same time, Nora is very attracted to Patch and would subconsciously like to know more about him.  I feel she asks Coach for the switch of seats because she is afraid of how she feels drawn to Patch.  Yes, he is uncooperative, and she is worried about her grades, but there is more to it.  Nora is a "good girl" that finds herself drawn to Patch.  She is at first afraid to pursue this, but it amazes me how this changes!  Nora becomes so courageous, especially when she heads to the pool hall to confront Patch.

"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper