Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Final Thoughts

Hard to believe we are entering the final week of our discussion! Please use this thread for posting your final thoughts for the group. What do think will be the scene or piece of Hush Hush that stays with you most?

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Final Thoughts

It is hard to believe that it's almost over. I feel like I used to going back to school after summer break.

I really enjoyed Hush Hush and discussing it with all of you.

I think the scene that will stay with me is the most is when Patch and Nora are in her kitchen preparing dinner after Delphic and we found out later that he wanted to kill her there at first.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

That was weird. To think he could have killed her. Sometimes I still wonder if Patch has ulterior motives.

pen21

dhaupt wrote:

It is hard to believe that it's almost over. I feel like I used to going back to school after summer break.

I really enjoyed Hush Hush and discussing it with all of you.

I think the scene that will stay with me is the most is when Patch and Nora are in her kitchen preparing dinner after Delphic and we found out later that he wanted to kill her there at first.

Correspondent
GreenFairyLV
0 Kudos

What a great book to be my First Look.  I can't wait till CRESCENDO is released.  The book was wrapped up nicely but I wonder how much a relationship Patch and Nora can actually have.  I look forward to reading more books by Becca and hope she continues on with many more books on Patch and Nora ( More of Patch before he met Nora, More on what happens after Hush, Hush) It's nice to discover an author that you love their work.  I hope when Becca is through with Patch and Nora she finds another whole world to introduce us to. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

.So much more happened,and now even more will be unveiled in Cresendo..I trust Becca has another Book after Cresendo...Nora,out of character met Patch and rode the Archangel..I was terrified for her,but because it was early on,so when he saved her..then I knew, my interest grew and grew. An exciting Book and  brings up many questions for me,on a personal level...Its all good..Vtc

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Author
Becca-Fitzpatrick
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

That was weird. To think he could have killed her. Sometimes I still wonder if Patch has ulterior motives.

pen21

Interesting that you're wondering this...

I think you're right not to completely trust him.  And I'll leave it at that :smileywink:

Author
Becca-Fitzpatrick
0 Kudos

Thank you, everyone, for your kind and encouraging words!  It means a lot!  I've had such a fantastic time with all of you.

Becca

Correspondent
Stewies_Mom
0 Kudos

I enjoyed this reading opportunity, but I find myself hoping that future stories will be better written.  The story held such great promise for me.  I loved the emotional pull that Nora felt toward Patch, I loved the tension Patch internalizes between his desire for killing and loving Nora simultaneously.  Some of the details (the friendship Nora had with Vee - I was told of their "un-twin-ness", but failed to recognize it from their actions; the non-existent relationship Nora has with her mother and with her housekeeper) were too unrealistic for a girl of this age.  I was guessing right up to the end about the impact of Jules and Elliot on Nora's life.  Overall, I did enjoy the story, but am hoping for more in the future.

Inspired Correspondent
Facepalm
0 Kudos

I don't have a scene that will stick with me most, but I do know that this has become one of my favorite books. It was something entirely new and a fantastic read. I will be recommending this to anyone I know in search of a terrific book, and I'll definitely read the sequel, even if it strikes me as unneccesary. I love-love-loved it, and it was fabulous debut novel for Becca Fitzpatrick.

:smileyhappy:

team GALE, anyone?
Inspired Correspondent
jb70
0 Kudos

I'm going to keep recommending this book to people because I enjoyed it so much. 

http://bookbookseverywhere.blogspot.com/
New User
superblondgirl

I think the scene where Nora is hiding in the phone booth waiting for Patch to come rescue her will stick with me - that was when things seemed to really come to a head and when I felt like she really started to rely on Patch and change her feelings about him.  The way it was written was really gripping, too- it was one of those scenes where I could feel the cold when she gave away her coat, the fear at losing her cell phone, the cramped muscles from crouching down,  hiding in the phone booth...  Such a good scene and such a great turning point.

Contributor
DarkFaerieAssassin
0 Kudos

I really enjoyed reading Hush, Hush. It's an amazing debut novel and I can't wait to read the sequel. I've often tought of Patch and Nora long after I finished the book. I'm not really sure why the book has had such a lasting impression on me, but I talk about it all the time to friends and family. I thought that the book was well written and that the characters were great.

Contributor
Ayrina
0 Kudos

I think I expected rather too much from this book, probably because of all the hype. It was still rather good, just not quite as amazing as I would have thought. There were a lot of moments that made me roll my eyes (teaching Nora how to play pool? really?), but some moments that were really sweet as well. And then, you know, the just plain creepy ones, of course...

The bit that's most likely to stay with me is the part right after Patch gives her the snowglobe, and Nora says something about how when she'd been with him, the abandoned amusement park had looked all glittery and beautiful, but now that he was gone, it looked desolate and abandoned. I thought that was a great metaphor for that sort of relationship -- it's beautiful when you're with him, but when you're not, you feel completely differently. Also a metaphor for life, but I'm not going to go into that... I just thought that part was really sweet. =]

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Ayrina wrote:

I think I expected rather too much from this book, probably because of all the hype. It was still rather good, just not quite as amazing as I would have thought. There were a lot of moments that made me roll my eyes (teaching Nora how to play pool? really?), but some moments that were really sweet as well. And then, you know, the just plain creepy ones, of course...

The bit that's most likely to stay with me is the part right after Patch gives her the snowglobe, and Nora says something about how when she'd been with him, the abandoned amusement park had looked all glittery and beautiful, but now that he was gone, it looked desolate and abandoned. I thought that was a great metaphor for that sort of relationship -- it's beautiful when you're with him, but when you're not, you feel completely differently. Also a metaphor for life, but I'm not going to go into that... I just thought that part was really sweet. =]

Thank you Ayrina..  For reminding me of  the Snowglobe..That  will hopefully be in 'Cresendo"..it was a beautiful moment between Nora and Patch........2010  we will find out more... Vtc..We will miss you Becca if you read this...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

Firstly I imagined I'd have a hard time with a teen book because the themes are sometimes so repetitive, specially in these times where everyone releases books with the same subjects. But I confess the language was really nice to read, the characters are dense in the deepness of the target audience and I'd recommend this book for all of the young adult or teen readers. Becca, you really got a different tone with the book. Even talking about an archangel you gave him a different personality, he had his own personality, as if he was "a made-by-Becca-archangel" and not the common ones we see.

Vee was a character I particulaly loved and hated. She's funny and confuses, such an ambiguous girl! A teen, obviously, in her wakening.

Hope the book be a success! Here in Brazil I contacted Intrinseca, the press which will release the book in Portuguese. I'll be waiting for the second volume and perhaps the third one. Congratulations Becca and BN. I'm waiting for more Teen reads First Looks like this.

Contributor
megan-smith
0 Kudos

Becca-Fitzpatrick wrote:

pen21 wrote:

pen21

Interesting that you're wondering this...

I think you're right not to completely trust him.  And I'll leave it at that :smileywink:

I'm very intrigued by your statement, Becca!! Though everything seemed to be wrapped up pretty tight, there was still something about Patch that didn't sit well with me. I thought it might've just been me, but maybe not?! :smileyhappy:

All in all, I absolutely LOVED the book. As soon as I thought I had something figured out, the story would change and leave me second-guessing myself. Then I'd go back to thinking I could've been right. It was a lovely rollercoaster ride to be on! I cannot wait for Crescendo to come out!!

Distinguished Correspondent
lmpmn
0 Kudos

I really loved the fact that Becca really brought out great relationships between these characters--especially b/t Nora and Vee, and b/t Nora and Patch.

I'll definitely remember the "catfight" between Nora and Marcie Millar.  Very funny!  Vee was so funny.  I'll remember her character as well.  She's probably one of my favorite sidekicks!

Happiness is a warm blanket!
Frequent Contributor
mediamissy
0 Kudos

For me the final scene will stay with me. Without giving too much away, I loved the interaction betweem Patch and Nora. I loved the final thoughts, decisions that seem so difficult in a crunch seem so easy to answer. That between us we make decisions each and every day that effect the people around us whether we realize it or not. That in all of us there are roads to be taken and it is an instant that we sometimes choose which one we want to take.
Contributor
dk_phoenix
0 Kudos

Well-written, engaging, and just enough mystery to keep us wary of Patch... I'm actually quite excited for the next installment, as we don't necessarily have enough information to completely trust Patch yet. We know angels can fall... but what happens once they reascend and become guardians? Can they fall again? We know they're capable of deceptive actions even while they have their wings... so it'll be very interesting to see where Becca takes us. Looking forward to it.

Author
Becca-Fitzpatrick
0 Kudos

Hi, guys!

In your questions for me, a few of you asked about publishing trends.  In this Publishers Weekly article, they talk about the upcoming trend of fallen angels in YA literature.  

For those interested, here's the link:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6696288.html?industryid=47139