Rachel-K
0 Kudos

First Impressions

Hi all,

For those of you just opening the novel, this is a thread to get started with. What do you make of our opening scene in 1565? What impression do you get of Chauncey, or the mysterious boy who seems to be able to manipulate him?

Was is jarring to turn the page and find yourself in a contemporary setting? What might the opening tell us about the novel to come?

Remember, no spoilers in this thread, please!

Contributor
sj9642
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions

At first I was not liking the historic value of the first few pages and was happily enthused when it switched to modern times.  I'm not a big fan of historical books.

My impression of Chauncey was that he was arrogant and spoiled.  It seemed as though he relied on his title a little too much.  the mysterious boy didn't give me much of an impression at all actually - other than being agressive and fierce.

Inspired Correspondent
Facepalm
0 Kudos

I agree- I wasn't too thrilled with the older setting, and it sped up for me once it switched to modern day following Nora.

I didn't think much about Chauncey. At this point it seems like the prologue is just there to show a relationship between the two characters being formed, and it doesn't look like Chauncey is going to be immediately important.

team GALE, anyone?
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I seem to agree with the others about Chancey,  Except for showing that the protag has been around for a while I don't see where the relationship has an importance but I have been sticking to the schedule so I might see the import later.  I am really liking what I have read.

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

For those of you just opening the novel, this is a thread to get started with. What do you make of our opening scene in 1565? What impression do you get of Chauncey, or the mysterious boy who seems to be able to manipulate him?

My first impression of the novel from this thread is that this book has something to do with "fallen angels". Chauncey claims to be the son of the Duc de Langeais but the mysterious boy informs Chauncey that he is a Nephil and belongs to the biblical race of Nephilim. He also tells him that his real father was an angel who fell from heaven and he is half mortal and half fallen angel. He asks Chauncey to meet him at the start of the Hebrew month of Cheshvan during the two weeks between new and full moon and that he needs his service. The mysterious boy seems to be powerful and manipulative and this leaves the reader with wanting to know what that service will be.

Was this jarring to turn the page and find yourself in a contemporary setting? What might the opening tell us about the novel to come?

When the novel turns to a contemporary setting, the reader realizes that the past does have something to do with the present and it leaves us curious to read further and find out more.

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Contributor
johnandjeanne
0 Kudos

HI

This is John from Tampa. I have been reading hush,hush and was wondering if Patch could be Chaunceys father maybe? I assume both of those characters were fallen angels. I have only read a couple chapters so far but I will contribute more as I read more.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

I liked the mysterious opening,and the boy who seems to know more than Chauncey would want him to..He had no choice but to follow orders,much to his distain of the mission ,I suppose he knew this day would come.When he appears in real time,and he knows what has to be done,I(i am not sure yet) became very anxious to delve into it and figure it out,been reading on schedule,and have an idea..Really liking Hush,Hush.....V.
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

johnandjeanne wrote:

HI

This is John from Tampa. I have been reading hush,hush and was wondering if Patch could be Chaunceys father maybe? I assume both of those characters were fallen angels. 

Patch seems more like the mysterious boy to me - very manipulative, powerful and he even has the low mysterious laughter that the boy has.

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Frequent Contributor
Shapatm
0 Kudos

I like the opening scene. It was a nice introduction to some of the (hopefully) background of our story.  First impressions - I do not like Chauncey, not one little bit.  My first thought was if he's going to be one of my main characters we're going to have problems.  He's arrogant and doesn't seem to have the experience or power to back it up.  Chauncey also seems stubborn an petty.  His combativeness when he first met the stranger didn't help the situation.  I think Chauncey might have suffered more that he was going to because of his temper.  The boy is a little more interesting.  He seems like he's also arrogant but he might have the ability to deliver of his threats.  I want to know more about him.

Was is jarring to turn the page and find yourself in a contemporary setting? What might the opening tell us about the novel to come?

The quick transition from 1565 to now was not jarring in the least.  I'm used to that device from some of the authors I read so it was easy to pick up with the main part of the novel.  The prologue has been filed away in my brain and notes for future reference as I get further into the book.  I'm not really sure what the opening tells us about the novel other than don't take everything at face value.  Chauncey underestimated the mysterious boy and that doesn't' seem like it was too good for him.

dhaupt

Well my first impression was I love her writing style, she has a very clean dialogue and the pages just flew for me, in fact when I came to the end of chapter 9 I had to literally make myself put it down.

I unlike a few of you liked the opening chapter and I'm waiting for all of my questions to be answered and I had to tag a few words to look up the meaning of. I always like it when a read educates me.

Another first impression was that she is very intimate with her characters, she knows them very well and they really project that to her audience I think.

Correspondent
Rosei
0 Kudos

I like the mysterious atmosphere of the novel beginning. I found so weird the boy who Chauncey meets, but Chauncey himself sounds very weird to me. Both are dark figures, at a dark night, and that place seems to me the one where Nora's house is located in contemporary time.

I'm enjoying the novel already and feeling eager to know more about Patch and Nora, and the secrets surrounding both :smileyhappy:

Contributor
ErinRuns
0 Kudos

Like some of the others, I didn't enjoy the opening scene as much as the contemporary setting.  I found it more difficult to read than when I began the first chapter.  I am looking forward to getting to know the mysterious boy some more and I agree with one of the above posters that he could be Patch.  I like how the opening left me with some questions that I am looking forward to getting to know Patch and Nora more and finding out their relation to Chauncey and the opening of the novel.

Erin

Inspired Contributor
Zia01
0 Kudos

I thought Chauncy was an arrogant jerk who thinks he's better than everyone else. I'm not sure what I think of the boy. He also seemed arrogant and self assured.

Not really, I kind of expected it. It does make me wonder what the connection between the two times is and if it's the boy that's the connection or Chauncey.

Contributor
Carinac
0 Kudos

When I first read this, I thought that this was a part of the character life that was important before the rest of the book began. It showed me that maybe, one of the main characters has lived a long time. I like look into the past part. I didn't really know what to think of Chauncey or the mysterious boy just yet. and I was wondering how this would fit into the rest of the book.

Contributor
wendyreads09
0 Kudos

Hi Everybody :smileyvery-happy:

I think the opening scene set in 1565 sets the history of The Fallen Angels as Patch is involved and is one of the main characters in the story.  I have a feeling that Chauncey is Patch's superior and shows up later in the book.  I did not find it jarring at all when it switched to a contemporary settiing.  It definitely pulls you in from the get go.

Wendy

Contributor
Dani624
0 Kudos

I loved the historical aspect and hoped to learn more later in the novel. Overall I am not impressed with the writing.

Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

I'm enjoying this book so much. The language and the plot are truly great. I like stories involving an air of mistery. I liked the prologue so much. I felt myself in a horror movie. Those graves, the rain, the cemetery... and the angel. Wow! All of the elements creating a frightening scene. Then, when we turn the page everything has changed: a contemporary scene involving Patch and Nora. Patch is a sex-appel boy, a tempting fallen angel and Nora an indecisive girl falling in love. Certainly Patch and Chaucey are not the same angels. I think their stories are going to be crossed in the narrative and perhaps the portrait of a vilain and a good boy are being created since now.

The prologue tell us about Nephlims. The descriptions of Nephilims show us that they were powerful and perverse men, like giants, a hybrid form of men and angel. They are still described as descending of fallen angels, though some translations of the holy bible give us a definition of Nephilims as Seth's children which still followed God. The women were considered Caim's daughters so far from being God's followers.

Inspired Correspondent
ponkle
0 Kudos

I truly enjoyed the historical past for the prologue and knew we would switch to present time. Chauncey was definately an inflated egotistical boar and the other mysterious boy at first I felt was evil like on the devils pay but then I didn't think so (I have a vivid imagination and like to guess where books will go).

When it went to present time I was trying to figure out if Patch was related to the mysterious boy. I loved the relationship between Nora and Patch and want to know how they relate to the past.

I am very much enjoying the writing and can't wait to keep reading.

Contributor
suitejuju
0 Kudos

I don't like prologues generally but I enjoyed seeing what kind of person/angel Patch had been when he first fell.

Contributor
LeandraMartinelli

Hello Everyone,

Loved the Prologue...I'm very into Historicals (Would have loved if it remained in the past). The prologueleft me with loads of questions and I found that I couldn't put the book down. Now I'm not so sure it was the right thing to do...as I find it difficult to write while exercising caution to not spoil it for others.

To be honest the cover put me off a little, but I assume that has a lot to do with with my religion and not the actual art work.

I would have to say that Chauncey is privilaged, spoiled and all around full of himself. It looks like the boy has is going to bring him down a couple of pegs.