Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions

I like the little peak of an earlier event at the beginning of the book.

When an author gives you a little piece of information to pique your interest and keep in mind as you are reading the rest of the book. Those few pages will let me decide as the book progresses, how I  think it will fit in to the story.

pen21

Contributor
Idothea
0 Kudos

I thought the opening was interesting and thought how could this tie into the story. Could this mysterious boy and Patch be one in the same? Will we find out? I rather enjoy the flash forward into a contemporary setting. Right away I enjoyed Becca's writing style. The opening drew me in, made me want to know more. It will be interesting to see what develops and how it develops between Nora and Patch.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

This is my Second Impression......With danger lurking behind ever corner,Patch my seem very sure of himself,but Nora needs protection,but from whom...V
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
Rabid_Reader
0 Kudos

I really liked the way Becca started in 1565 and then jumped to present day. It made me think that the opening scene would in some way be important to the rest of the novel, and I found myself rereading it trying to find clues as to what was to come in the present day portion of the book.

The cover was the first thing I loved about the book, and I think it is absolutely breathtaking. As soon as I saw the cover I wanted to read the book.

Rabid_Reader

Frequent Contributor
misslynn
0 Kudos

I did read the whole book- and I am not going to spoil. However, I believe when the genre is way out of ordinary- you do need to set a context for the story. When you then find yourself in contemporary times you naturally want to connect past and present. I will say (without spoiling) that the authour does an excellent job of keeping the suspense throughout the book. While some of my predictions were correct, I did find many surprises along the way. Again, Chauncy's behavior in the beginning mirrors the behavior of characters later on. There is a definate parallel between past and present.

Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

. What do you make of our opening scene in 1565? What impression do you get of Chauncey, or the mysterious boy who seems to be able to manipulate him?

Was is jarring to turn the page and find yourself in a contemporary setting? What might the opening tell us about the novel to come?

Remember, no spoilers in this thread, please!

My initial thoughts were that starting with Chauncey kind of gave too much away. I would have preferred him to have this flashback later- whichever him Patch is.

Contributor
emers0207

I was a little curious to see this how would play out.  I mean both character seem cruel and unlikable.  I didn't like how evil the mysterious boy seemed to be - violently hurting another, but at the same time Chauncey appeared arrogant, spoiled, a poor treater of women, etc and so I didn't feel any connection that would make me really care that he was attacked by this mysterious boy.  No characters to root for in the opening scene is my basic point. 

Frequent Contributor
JosieKramer

[ Edited ]

Hi.

Yes, please don't ruin it for the rest of us!  Although I doubt very few people were able to put the book down after the first chapter.

I like you was put off a little bit by the cover, just not for the same reason.  I think a little color would have gone a long way.  Just to add a focal point.  However, I do know that "fallen angels" are a touchy subject.

In terms of Chauncey and him being full of himself. I got that impression as well. 

While in the back of my mind, I remembered the angel from the Prologue.  I am most intrigued by his relationship between himself and Nora.

I did find one more thing aggravating.  The font used for the drop cap at the beginning of each chapter is a bit too distracting.  In some cases it even covers some letters from the next sentence.  I found myself staring at the first letter too long and therefore breaking my momentum.

I like the writing so far.  I related to it as a teacher (watching students being paired up for the first time) and as a student (having been paired up with the new kid that no one knows anything about). 

So far this book has grabbed my attention.  I look forward to the discussions.

www.thebookjournal.com
Josie Kramer
honest. book. reviews.
Contributor
LeandraMartinelli

The font wasn't a problem for me... However I went back and took a look, and I can see were you are coming from. I'm not sure if more color would improve the cover in my eyes... I believe more color would mean more detail... Which I definitely wouldn't want. Besides an Angel falling should be depicted in darkness, as much as the idea of it hurts my soul, I believe the colors on the cover are just right.

Frequent Contributor
JosieKramer
0 Kudos

good point. 

I have been searching around and it seems that many people like the cover and say it has drawn them to pick up the book.  So I guess majority rules :smileyhappy:

www.thebookjournal.com
Josie Kramer
honest. book. reviews.
Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

Bonnie824 wrote:

. What do you make of our opening scene in 1565? What impression do you get of Chauncey, or the mysterious boy who seems to be able to manipulate him?

Was is jarring to turn the page and find yourself in a contemporary setting? What might the opening tell us about the novel to come?

Remember, no spoilers in this thread, please!

My initial thoughts were that starting with Chauncey kind of gave too much away. I would have preferred him to have this flashback later- whichever him Patch is.

I wondered the same thing, Bonnie.  I wondered if Becca thought this might help the YA reader "recognize" what was happening later on and not need to know any outside accounts of angels, etc., if there was this bit of prologue.  Maybe she will tell us.

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh

I really liked the prologue. I felt like I was in a horror movie, with the rain sheeting down in the cemetery at night . When Chauncey first sees the boy looking like an angel on a nearby monument and the boy jumped down, it actually sent chills down my spine! I didn't get too much of a feel for Chauncey though. I was wondering what he was doing in the cemetery at night with the girl in the first place, but other than that I couldn't tell much about him. The boy he encounters there seems very powerful, almost magical. On page 4, it is written, "He (Chauncey) has no idea how, but the boy was inflicting the nausea and weakness inside him." I felt the prologue was an important clue that would later tie into the rest of the novel.

I didn't think it was jarring to be suddenly in the present time. Even though the prologue was very intriguing, I was ready to get into the novel and find out where the story was going to take us.

April
Correspondent
MsReaderCP
0 Kudos

I love books that switch from past to contemporary or vice versa.  I don't know yet what the meaning of this one is, if I had to guess I would guess that Chauncey (if stll alive) or his descendants still owe fealty to the boy and/or his family because a time period was not specified.  I understood the two weeks to be the first required period of service since it was demanded after the oath of fealty. 

I know I'm dealing with Angels, Half Fallen Angels.  If they were deviant enough to be cast from Heaven and then they have mated with mortals (original sin) then we're probably dealing with... not your nice, white angels.

New User
TSmith18
0 Kudos

I would have to say that as the book began I was very interested in where the story was headed. I was a bit confused when it switched to modern times, but I also knew that all the pieces would come together and that the begining would make sense in the end.

Frequent Contributor
JosieKramer
0 Kudos

There are very few books that grab my attention enough to make me think about them during my off hours. 

This book is a rare exception.  I find myself jumping on this forum to check how other people are responding to the first couple of chapters. 

I do notice that a lot of people are concentrating on the Prologue.  I have always found this interesting as I most times make it a habit NOT to read them.  I always like to the read the book from the beginning and not have to concentrate of what is going to happen later on in the book. 

While the Prologue in this book is mysterious, I think it takes away from the reader reading in the moment.  Every thing read from that point on you will be wondering it that guy is the fallen angel or maybe it's that other guy over there.  I would rather read the book from the beginning and not be jumping in anticipation to get to the future mentioned section.

www.thebookjournal.com
Josie Kramer
honest. book. reviews.
Wordsmith
Arielle
0 Kudos

My first impression was just 'Wow'. Just reading the first chapter and I was automatically hooked! I just couldnt believe it. It took me less than a day to read this book, and I am so glad I did read it. I love it and I love the characters and the story line. Someone told me they are going to change the ending so I dont know what will happen, but I love every part of the book. The beginning is amazing. The middle keeps me intrested the entire time. And the ending is great. I really enjoyed this book!

Who controls the past controls the future.
Who controls the present controls the past.
New User
TSmith18
0 Kudos

I will agree with you that I do like her writing style. I also agree that the author seems to have a strong connection with her characters. I also feel that the author is very in tune with human nature by how she made her characters come alive for the readers.  I enjoyed the idea behind the story and felt that it was very readable and easy to follow.  This all being said, I felt that the story was very slow. There was never a time during my reading of the book that I felt it was hard to put it down. I just felt like it was taking way too long to get to the exciting parts. I feel terrible for saying it, but this book was boring to me. I didn't really start enjoying it until the last few chapters and then was disappointed by the end.  I kept reading thinking to myself that it can only get better. I love when a book takes you on a slow journey to a huge climatic end, but the huge climatic ending was less than climatic. I feel like this story could have moved a long a little quicker and developed a bit better as well. If I had to rate the book on a 1-10 scale I would give it a 5.5.  A good first try for this up and coming author. My advice to the author would be to develope these characters a it more but in a shorter time frame. Some of the paragraphs just came off as filler, with no real connection to the story, and therefore made no real connection with me as the reader. I am by no means trying to insult this author, just giving my honest critique.  Although I was a bit disappointed by this book, I would definately give this author another chance and read her next work. I know that her work will only improve with experience.  Thanx so much for the opportunity to read this book before the rest of the public.

Reader
KaitOh
0 Kudos

My first impression of Chauncey was that he was very full of himself, and that he might be referred to later, but could also just be an example of what was to come. The mysterious boy I figured would probably be major later on.

I preferred the contemporary setting, only because I like books written in modern times. It was an easy flip, and showed that the events in 16th century France would be important later.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

It is interesting (to me) to see so many readers thinking Chauncey is arrogant/full of himself when the character responds in the precise way a 16th century French aristocrat would be expected to respond to a perceived slight. 

As regards the Prologue, I think it was a bit redundant with the epigraph from 2 Peter 2:4 but it didn't detract from Nora's story.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

What do you make of our opening scene in 1565? What impression do you get of Chauncey, or the mysterious boy who seems to be able to manipulate him?

I didn't like Chauncey at  all.  And I thought that the boy "with his pants sagging'  I thought was from the future somehow.  That is because 'sagging' is still (ugh) so popular with teen boys.

I did not find it jarring in the least.  Prolouge's  are frequently in a different time period.  I think it gives the reader a small glimpse into what is to come.

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/