New User
MorningGlow
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions

This is my first time doing a First Look discussion, so please, bear with me! As for first impressions of the book. I understand why she would want to keep descriptions to a minimum, to hide who was who, but I would have liked a little more description about each of the characters. Maybe more about what they were wearing, etc.

As for the fact that it was a historical beginning, then jumped to a modern setting.. I didn't mind that so much. I often read novels where the author gives a background of an old/ancient character, then jump to the present. I'm not too much of a YA reader, but I know I generally don't like YA Historicals, but it's not a long section, and I was able to deal with it. As I said, I might have been able to like it a little more if there was a bit more description.

Morning Glow

www.glowsnoveladdiction.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
JosieKramer
0 Kudos

HI.

Actually I found that all the characters presented were described fully.  Including eye color, hair color, and dress.

www.thebookjournal.com
Josie Kramer
honest. book. reviews.
Contributor
sammyjones57
0 Kudos

I'm not a fan of historical fiction, so when I opened the book, I thought "oh crap".  The prolouge perked my interest more as I began to wonder how those characters would come to play through out the story.  I also found Chauncy to be very arragont and spoiled as well.

As for Vee, I loved her!  I guess I can see how some people might find her annoying with how aggressive and out spoken she is, but I like those types of characters.  There was only one part, more towards the end, where I thought she was a really crappy friend, but besides that, she was great.  Plus I liked the dialouge between Nora and her.

Contributor
greenbeanteenqueen
0 Kudos

I didn't mind the historical opening.  It was short and I thought it started the book of with some mystery.  But then again, I don't mind historical fiction.  I didn't even think it felt all that historical and I wasn't jarred by the fact it jumped to modern times. 

www.greenbeanteenqueen.com
Contributor
greenbeanteenqueen
0 Kudos

As for Vee, I loved her!  I guess I can see how some people might find her annoying with how aggressive and out spoken she is, but I like those types of characters.  There was only one part, more towards the end, where I thought she was a really crappy friend, but besides that, she was great.  Plus I liked the dialouge between Nora and her.

I loved Vee too!  She was a little annoying, but in some ways she reminded me of my high school self, so I think that's why I didn't mind her as much.  I can see where some people might think she was aggressive and outspoken, but I thought she was a fun character. Plus, I think many teens have friends like Vee.

www.greenbeanteenqueen.com
Inspired Contributor
melisndav
0 Kudos

Hi all,

For those of you just opening the novel, this is a thread to get started with. What do you make of our opening scene in 1565? What impression do you get of Chauncey, or the mysterious boy who seems to be able to manipulate him?

Was is jarring to turn the page and find yourself in a contemporary setting? What might the opening tell us about the novel to come?

Remember, no spoilers in this thread, please!

Typically - I do not like anything set back in that time period, not my type of story.  If the story remained in the historical era, I would not have been able to finish this book.  I did not like Chauncey at all.  Very arrogant and obnoxious.  Wasn't sure what to make of the mysterious boy.

Frequent Contributor
learningdragon
0 Kudos

I liked the fact that the book jumped from past to the present. Chauncey strikes me as a little lost, especially after discovering that he is Nephilim, and the mysterious boy forces him to accept the pact. I lke the character of the mystery boy, and look forward to continuing the story.

Contributor
Galleysmith
0 Kudos

I loved this book.  It's definitely in my top five for this year.  Heck top three so far.

I loved the characterizations, thought the back and forth of the mystery carried great suspense, and the interaction between Patch and Nora was fabulous.  I really enjoyed that I was unsure whether Patch was good or bad it made the story so much more interesting for me as a reader.  I also enjoyed how drawn Nora was to him but at the same time felt such fear and skepticism about his intentions and just him in general.  At first I found Vee to be somewhat annoying but then as the story went on I started to find her endearing.  I thought the characterizations were pretty spot on for high schoolers.

Contributor
tammypennington
0 Kudos

I think that the cover art is perfect....I don't think that color would have fit the mood...

I enjoyed the prologue and didn't have a problem moving to modern day....in fact I would not have minded if there were interludes that included more of the story from earlier times...

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and look forward to the alternate ending!

Tammy in Seattle
Contributor
kfort78
0 Kudos

On first impression I did not like Chauncey at all.  He seems arrogant and spoiled.  I did not the way he threw around his title as if it made him important.  It did leave me interested in what the service is that he will have to provide. 

I was glad when the book switched to contemporary times.  I look forward to how all the characters in the beginning are relevant later in the book.

Contributor
ilonga
0 Kudos

What do you make of our opening scene in 1565?

At first I was kind of confused. I have read a couple of reviews about this book, but in any of them mentioned this prologue, but then I was relieved because it was just the prologue who was settled in the past. There was this thing, though, that I didn't like it and it was that "...his face, which was dark as a Spaniard's" quote. I'm not from Spain, but I'm pretty sure that some people from that country would find that a little cliché. I'd read a Spanish review of this book, and that was one of the few things she didn't like it about the story...

What impression do you get of Chauncey, or the mysterious boy who seems to be able to manipulate him?

I think Chauncey was an arrogant young man. He was alcoholic, he was spending his money with a prostitute and he was always making a big deal of his name and title and who his father was.

About the mysterious boy... well he was strong, manipulative and he had his wings stripped, so I think he's a fallen angel and -maybe- he's the male main character (Patch). Maybe. Just a theory. I'm in chapter 15.

What might the opening tell us about the novel to come?

Maybe the story will be related with that "oath of fealty" that Chauncey made with the mysterious boy/angel. Maybe Nora is a descendant of Chaucey. Just making theories here, but definitively I think the story will be related with what happened in the prologue.

Photobucket
Contributor
LeandraMartinelli
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hello Everyone,

I have started reading the book once again, only this time I'm taking my time and paying more attention to detail. Since I had such a difficult time putting the book down the first time around I feel I rushed through it and didn't quite get an accurate understanding of the character Vee. In fact this time around I can see that Vee is so like my best friend in HS it's scary.

I must say that Coach would have never survived as a teacher at my (Roman Catholic) HS; he would have been thrown out on his rump so fast his head would have spun. Originally I found the Barbie and Ken taped to the board unusual, this time It had me thinking he was quite creative, was on the right track to gaining his student's attention and if my kid's teacher tried that I would have a fit. (How's that for contradicting..It's a different can of worms when it's your kid)

I still don't see Vee and Nora as un-twins as it says on page 9 and I'm definitely not sure about the "...invisible thread" that supposedly ties them together. However I'm still searching for instances showing that connection. I must say Vee is starting to grow on me this time around.

My description of Nora would be intelligent, mature, intuitive and courageous, aside from the intelligent part, : ) all things I wasn't in 10th grade; then again I was only 15 in 10th grade.  Come to think of it I'm still not very courageous, if I hear something that goes bump in the night you can be sure my hubby is going to be the one getting up. I absolutely love the character Nora.

I don't know what I think of Patch in these early chapters. He reminds me a little of a boy that sat behind me in Spanish class senior year, whom would whisper veiled sexual innuendos at me during class. What I can say with certainty about Patches character is that Becca got the whole bad boy thing down to a T. Every young girl that reads this book is going to fall madly in love with the character.

By the way did anyone ever meet a teen that would willingly admit to having lice. Don't get me wrong I found it humorous but quite unrealistic. Also the whole iron pill thing... I don't know ...

B&N Bookseller
Dana_W
0 Kudos

Just got the book yesterday and am very much enjoying it.  The historical scene at the beginning is a great hook into the rest of the story and it leaves me wondering how it will connect with Nora and present day.  I did not find it jarring to be in present day.  I often enjoy books that pop back and forth between past and present.  It helps to round out the story more when you have the history behind it.  Looking forward to reading more.

Dana W.
Frequent Contributor
deannafrances
0 Kudos

I liked the set up at the beginning--as long as it is resolved somewhere else in the book.  I am thinking that the fallen angels

since they are immortal maybe just change their name through time.

Frequent Contributor
emma23
0 Kudos

i personaly thought that the begining of the novel was really good. it kept me guessing who was the good guy and who was the bad guy.

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

I received this book a few months ago from the publisher and started reading it as soon as it arrived. I couldn't put it down! When I saw that it was going to be discussed here I decided to read it again for a refresher. I'm sure there are details that I missed the first time around.

The very first thing that drew me to this book was the cover. It's very simple but the image and the shades of gray are so effective and very attractive. The prologue from 1565 was interesting too. Just having that little blurb at the beginning always makes me wonder when that information is going to come into the story. Fallen angels are a great way to start! :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
JosieKramer
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

All great points LeandraMartinelli...

About the girl who admited to just getting over having lice.  Yeah that threw me a little bit, especially in a High School setting where no one admits to wearing glasses!

The iron pill situation I am on the fence about.  I used to take iron when I was younger, but didn't have it so bad that I would have to pop one each time I was stressed out.  In High School that would have been every other second.

www.thebookjournal.com
Josie Kramer
honest. book. reviews.
Contributor
Shannanlee
0 Kudos

I was not a fan of the prologue either the modern is good though.

Contributor
Broomgirl
0 Kudos

My first impression is that the story is moving along rather slow, but I'm just starting and want to give it a chance.  Perhaps adjusting to a young adult level has something to do with it.  Ah well, we shall see!

Frequent Contributor
JosieKramer
0 Kudos

Broomgirl wrote:

My first impression is that the story is moving along rather slow, but I'm just starting and want to give it a chance.  Perhaps adjusting to a young adult level has something to do with it.  Ah well, we shall see!

What chapter are up to?  I find this book has constant action.

www.thebookjournal.com
Josie Kramer
honest. book. reviews.