Frequent Contributor
Readingrat
0 Kudos

Re: Later Chapters and Whole Novel

I read the whole end of the book last night and absolutely loved it, actually from Portland on, but particularly the scene in the school - delicious suspense and some very nice plot twists.

Correspondent
bibanon1
0 Kudos

Overall, I was really pleased with this book. While I'm sure it will invite inevitable comparisons to other mortal/immortal love stories like TWILIGHT, I think the author managed to find something new with the fallen angel angle. I can't wait to see how the story develops in the next book. I'd love to learn more about why Patch chose Chauncey as his vessel.  And what other bad things was Patch alluding to from his past? Will we learn more about Patch's former mortal love? Lots of material to mine from with future sequels.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blogging about books and life since 2003.
http://lifebycandlelight.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Shapatm
0 Kudos

Why does Vee defend Elliot and Jules?

I think Vee defends Elliot and Jules more because they make her feel special and accepted.  I get that part of it could also be Jules/Chauncey tampering with her brain but part of it is her vanity.  She's been singled out by these two hot guys when she's used to being made fun of for her curves and size.  Jules is rich and Elliot can be nice to the point of sickeningly sweet.  Who wouldn't stick up for these boys when compared to Patch who buses table for money?

Why does Elliot help Jules/Chauncey?

Elliot helps Jules/ Chauncey for the money and acceptance.  If he helps Jules he'll be financially compensated (assumption) and be able to get his revenge on all the people at Kinghorn who made fun of him for being on scholarship.  If not, he still get made fun of and nothing in his life changes.  It's a no brainier for Elliot.

How is Patch's relationship with Nora different from the one that got him expelled from Heaven? Why did he resist becoming a guardian angel?

Patch and Nora's relationship is different because there is a relationship.  He fell because he lusted after the girl, they never had the kind of relationship he's developing with Nora.  Patch didn't want to be a guardian because it would mean that he wasn't' human and that is what he wanted more than anything.  Falling in love with Nora changed that - what fun would it be for him to be human if he didn't have the girl he loved?

What does Dabria want from Nora? What does she want from Patch? Why is she an important character?

Dabria wants Nora dead so Patch will come back to her and be an angel again.  She's using Nora to get to Patch, like Jules is but for a different reason.  Dabria is important because she give us a peak at what angel are like, their abilities and the fact that they aren't all saintly perfect being.  Dabria definitely has a wicked streak of jealously where Patch is concerned. 

We've heard there is another book on it's way to follow this one. Where do you think this relationship between Nora and Patch will go from here?

I have no idea where the relationship could go but I hope Patch doesn't get into too much trouble and end up fallen again.

Why does Jules/Chauncey hate Patch so much?

Chauncey hates Patch because of the power he has over him.  Chauncey was going to be an all powerful Duc with no real restrictions on what he could or couldn't do and this fallen angel came along and ruined it.  Chauncey hates not being in control. He would have hated any other fallen angel who forced him to swear the other to them just as much as he hated Patch.
Frequent Contributor
KateBrianIsAwesome
0 Kudos

Why does Vee defend Elliot and Jules? She likes them and is clueless.
Why does Elliot help Jules/Chauncey? They are buddies and they know secrets about each other.

How is Patch's relationship with Nora different from the one that got him expelled from Heaven? He actually loves her and will do anything for her and hes already fallen.  
What does Dabria want from Nora? Dabria wants Nora gone.
What does she want from Patch? She wants Patch to love her.
Why is she an important character? She has history with Patch.
We've heard there is another book on it's way to follow this one. Where do you think this relationship between Nora and Patch will go from here?
There will be complications but they are going to make it last.  

He has to give Patch his body for two weeks I think it was two weeks.
Reading can only make you more happy and smarter. :smileyhappy:

Visit my blog at http://teenbibliophile.blogspot.com/

- Mallory
Inspired Contributor
melisndav
0 Kudos

Please use any of the following questions to start discussing the last chapters of Hush Hush, but also feel free to introduce comments and questions of your own! Also, please remember that all spoilers are welcome in this thread!
Why does Vee defend Elliot and Jules? Why does Elliot help Jules/Chauncey?
Vee defends Elliot & Jules because she likes Jules and she don't want the boys to dislike her.  Vee seems like she needs her ego stroked too much.
Elliot helps Jules/Chauncey because he was being blackmailed and was gullible to let Jules tell him what to do.

How is Patch's relationship with Nora different from the one that got him expelled from Heaven?   The one that got him expelled loved him back and then she got old and died.  He never recuperated from that blow.
Why did he resist becoming a guardian angel?  Patch wanted to become human as he had read in the Story of Enoch.  That was his greatest desire, other than Nora.
We've had some talk about Nora taking iron as a clue to her own supernatural traces--did any other aspects of the story or Nora give you clues to this?   Her "hearing" nonverbal communication with Patch?  Only her  "hearing" with Patch was the only link that I got from the book for her supernatural traces.

What does Dabria want from Nora?  She wants Nora to leave Patch alone/
What does she want from Patch? She wants Patch to come back to her in Heaven
Why is she an important character?  She was the one who led Patch to Nora in the first place.
We've heard there is another book on it's way to follow this one. Where do you think this relationship between Nora and Patch will go from here?   I'm not sure.  It seemed like the book left off where Patch would always be around as a protector or guardian.  As I was missing 15 pages from the book, I am not 100 % that Patch turned human as he believed he would.

Why does Jules/Chauncey hate Patch so much?  He believes that it was Patch that made him like he was.  And the fact that Patch took over his body for 2 weeks every year did not help matters much either.
Also please feel free to continue comparing the two endings in this thread, too!
Reader
mack9678
0 Kudos

First off, I have to say that I simply adored the book.  I enjoyed journey of the plot, the development of the characters, and therefore read the book in two sittings.  

I believe that Vee defends them because she is getting attention from the boys.

I think he is dependent, then conflicted, and it in too deep before realizing the situation he has gotten into.

How is Patch's relationship with Nora different from the one that got him expelled from Heaven?

He is older and more mature.  He does what is right for Nora instead of what he thinks is what he wants for himself.  

Why did he resist becoming a guardian angel?

He wanted to be human.

We've had some talk about Nora taking iron as a clue to her own supernatural traces--did any other aspects of the story or Nora give you clues to this? Her "hearing" nonverbal communication with Patch?

I didn't pick up on any others.

What does Dabria want from Nora? What does she want from Patch? Why is she an important character?

She wants Nora out of the picture and wants Patch's full attention.  She adds an additional twist and viewpoint to the plot.  

I am quite excited to find out.  I think in whatever direction the story goes, that it will be a great journey.

Contributor
sj9642
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Because she really thinks these boys like her.

Because Elliot thinks Jules will give him power and money.

How is Patch's relationship with Nora different from the one that got him expelled from Heaven?
Because the first one was all about lust, this time he loves Nora.

He wants to be human.

We've had some talk about Nora taking iron as a clue to her own supernatural traces--did any other aspects of the story or Nora give you clues to this? Her "hearing" nonverbal communication with Patch?
I don't think so.

She wants Nora to stay away from Patch or die.  She wants Patch to become a guardian angel so he can return to heaven.  Because she loves Patch.

I think Patch and Nora will continue to grow closer and that Patch will still try to gain human status.  I don't see him giving up so easy.

Because of the body takeovers over all the past years and for maybe wrecking his life to begin with.

**This book was great. I read it in one sitting.  Great job to Becca!!
Contributor
ilonga
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Why does Vee defend Elliot and Jules? Why does Elliot help Jules/Chauncey?
I think that was because Chauncey influenced her mind, same thing with Elliot. Both of them were acting by Jules powers. But Elliot also helped Jules (Chauncey) because he was an insecure guy. He need his "help" to get girls, money and stuff. He was like a guy who sell his soul to the devil.

His feelings for the woman who got him expelled from heaven were only lust. And he wanted to be human too, just to feel the human emotions... I think it was more curiosity than other thing. But now he's truly in love with Nora. He gave up everything just to be with her. He could be a human, but he gave up because of her.

Because he wanted to be a human. That was his only interest before he fell in love with Nora.

I never thought that her blood condition was a clue to her being a descendant of a Nephilim... But I do thought that her birthmark was something. It was similar to Patch's, so I thought that provably it was related with the angels. About her hearing the nonverbal communication with Patch... I don't think it have to do with her supernatural traces either. I think it was because of Patch powers.

What does Dabria want from Nora?
She wants to eliminate her. Kill her. She's obsessed with Patch, so she have to Kill Nora to have him.

What does she want from Patch?
To be with him again. They had a relationship at heaven, but he dumped her just to be with a human woman. That's why he got expelled from heaven. Dabria never got over with it. She was humiliated because she was dumped because of a "woman made by mud", just like Nora.

Why is she an important character?
Is because of her that we know Patch's original intentions with Nora. Is her who tells Nora that Patch wanted to use her as a sacrifice so he could be a human. She's also a distraction to us. Becca wanted us to think that she was the one with the ski mask and also give us doubts about Patch real feelings for Nora. Also is because of Dabria that we know a little about heaven, angels hierarchy and their laws, and angels floklore too. She's the one who brought to Nora (through Patch memories) that legend about how a fallen angel could be an angel again, which is basically all the purpose of Patch relationship with Nora before he fell in love with her.

Nora is a Nephilim descendant. Patch is a guardian angel. At first, Patch was expelled from heaven because he fell in love with a human. Nora is a human... and a Nephilim. I think their relationship will have a lot of obstacles, but I don't think the plot will be only about that. Probably we will get more about Nora's father, and more about angels hierarchy organization, etc. 

Chauncey hates him because Patch uses his body. Because of the oath, every year, for two weeks, Patch possess Chauncey's body so he can feel human feelings. Chauncey hates that. According to him, It's like being raped.

*Edited (again)*

Forgot to say,

Becca, this book was awesome. It was so unpredictable and different. Patch was so well developed. Really, it was a great book. A really good reading.

Congratulations!

And thank you so much, Barnes & Noble, for this first look.

Photobucket
Contributor
Nikkayme
0 Kudos

Vee only really defends Elliot and Jules because she is being controlled. She doesn't really know either Jules or Elliot and can never truly form her own opinion about them because Jules begins controlling her and implanting thoughts into her mind.

Elliot, like Jules/Chauncey loves power. Jules offers Elliot power and respect through his ability to manipulate others. I feel like Elliot could be a decent human being, but he lusted for the power and danger that Jules could provide him. Hopefully we get to see him again and he changes his ways a bit. I could see him turning on Jules completely now and possibly becoming a genuinely good person.

How is Patch's relationship with Nora different from the one that got him expelled from Heaven? Why did he resist becoming a guardian angel?

Patch was expelled from Heaven because he lusted after a girl. It seems like Patch is now supposed to be in love with Nora and that's the key difference, but I don't see it that way. Sure, Patch cares for Nora a great deal and he has done a lot to protect her, but he has also done a lot of things that have frightened her. He is the bad-boy, so he's supposed to mess up, but I don't think the short time that Patch has really known Nora can result in love. He many care for her deeply, but I don't believe it is actually love yet.

It appears that the consensus believes that Patch resisted becoming a guardian angel strictly because he wanted to be with Nora. I think that there may also be a very selfish part of Patch that wants to be human for himself as well. Patch discusses with Nora how fallen angels can't feel emotions the same way as humans do, so maybe there's a part of him that truly wants that feeling; For himself, instead of just for Nora.

Dabria simply wants Nora to be out of the picture. She wants Patch all to herself and she sees Nora as one big obstacle. Dabria is the scorned woman. Patch didn't want her, but he wants Nora, so Dabria sees her only choice to get Patch back is to eliminate the opposition. Dabria is an important character because she is one of the potential big antagonists within the book. Dabria also gives Nora and the audience insight into Patch's past. Through her, we see some of who Patch was and get to know him a bit more.

In Crescendo, I see Patch and Nora really developing their relationship. I didn't view them as being in love in Hush, Hush, so I see the feelings they now have for each other developing into love in the next one. There's probably also going to be a lot of challenge for their relationship to persist. Patch is now Nora's guardian, he isn't supposed to be her boyfriend.

Jules/Chauncey hates Patch so much because of his lack of power. To Jules/Chauncey, power is everything and for two weeks out of the year, he is completely powerless. He is still inside his own body, but he can do nothing to control it and that infuriates him. Patch got Jules/Chauncey to swear over his body for two weeks every year and he doesn't want to do it, so he wants Patch gone so he can maintain both his body and the power he possesses.

Frequent Contributor
MomforrestMO
0 Kudos

I have finished the novel. I loved the book. The ending was a surprise. It was not what I suspected.  I think many will compare it to Twilight but I think Hush Hush will come out on top. There is a flood of vampire novels and this has a fresh look and a great  teen appeal.  The characters are well developed and interesting. The book has a great number of twists that could lead in different directions and that keeps the reader's interest.  It would be interesting to see where a sequel would lead. 

Kudos to the author Becca Fitzpatrick for a very interesting book.  I'm looking forward to reading others from you.

MomforrestMO
Distinguished Correspondent
Lil_Irish_Lass
0 Kudos

In general I'm not a fan of open endings that obviously lead to a second book/movie. I like closure, not the feeling that as I turn the last page I'm being told to hit pause until the next book. Which is really the only big negative I have with this novel.

I did enjoy Hush, Hush though and the story swept me up more than I thought it would.

I really enjoyed the character of Nora and how she was a strong woman but still the typical teenager yet in a very realistic way. She's has a great head on her shoulders even when she falls victim to the usual teenage hormones. 

As soon as I finished I went back and reread the prologue and loved how it all came together. I still wish that the prologue had been longer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
Correspondent
MissShopaholic
0 Kudos

Dabria wants Nora out of the picture because as long as Nora is still around, Patch isn't going anywhere.  She wants Patch back in "Angel " status. I'm not sure where the story from here would go...  Didn't he say that there was some kind of hierarchy and Guardians were at the bottom?

Vee defends elliot and jules because they've gotten her to trust them.  They're also implanting images in her mind  which deceive her to believe that they are the good guys.

i can assume that maybe  somehow Nora will either eventually want to become an angel (like bella wanted to become a vampire) or perhaps Patch might still search for a way to become human.  i have no previous knowledge on angels or guardian angels to make any assumptions as to where this love story will go or play out ! So, ok... just a thought: Can i assume that (taken from Twilight series) that Nora will bare Patch's child while having to endure a difficult pregnancy in an upcoming book? I know, i know... just playing out the predictable stuff first... but like i said, i don't really know what to expect.

Reader-Moderator
liisa22
0 Kudos

Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:

In general I'm not a fan of open endings that obviously lead to a second book/movie. I like closure, not the feeling that as I turn the last page I'm being told to hit pause until the next book. Which is really the only big negative I have with this novel.

I did enjoy Hush, Hush though and the story swept me up more than I thought it would.

I really enjoyed the character of Nora and how she was a strong woman but still the typical teenager yet in a very realistic way. She's has a great head on her shoulders even when she falls victim to the usual teenage hormones. 

As soon as I finished I went back and reread the prologue and loved how it all came together. I still wish that the prologue had been longer.

Glad I am not the only one who went back to re-read the prologue !   I could have stood it to be a bit longer, but I was ok with it as is!  

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
-Sir Richard Steele

http://bookreviewsbyliisa.blogspot.com/
Contributor
christinezeg
0 Kudos

Vee defends Elliot and Jules because she cannot see them for who/what they truly are due to telepathic horseplay. 

Patch was kicked out of heavan for his yearnings. His feelings for Nora seem to be sincere and he does not want to be "just' an angel. He wants to be human.

Dabria wants to eliminate Nora in order to convice Patch to become a guardian angel. Nora is an obstacle in Dabria's eyes.