Author
Becca-Fitzpatrick
0 Kudos

Re: Like Broken Glass

tato wrote:

I liked this comparison a lot! I think it describes Nora's attraction to Patch perfectly, and it gives us, at the same time, a glimpse of Nora's "wild" side. She likes to be dared, and Patch dares her constantly with his presence. He's the embodiment of danger, and she feels attracted to it, but she knows that being with him will take her to shaky grounds. So it's a constant dare, and she likes that.

Being with Vee is also a proof of how she likes dares and danger. Vee is kind of a magnet for trouble. She's always luring Nora into doing illegal stuff, like sleuthing and breaking into places, and bad things, like dressing up to flirt with the bartender...Not to mention she's the one who's always pushing Nora to Elliot (spine-tingling Elliot). 

And her counselor? Of course she is right not to trust her. She's too mysterious. The fact that she knew about Nora tuttoring Patch, when she hadn't even accepted, was weird. And she's young...that's a pointer too. And she doesn't have any personal stuff in her office (diplomas, pictures) that reflects a bit of her life. AND she doesn't want Nora to be alone with Patch. She insists on that, which is too obvious. I think it should be less clear.

I love this observation!  Nora secretly is drawn to danger, I believe.  I think part of the reason she's been playing it so safe, especially lately, is she has a deep-rooted fear that the same thing that happened to her father could happen to her.  After her father was murdered, she developed the mindset that she was going to do everything in her power to play it safe, and keep the odds in her favor that she wouldn't die. 

Anyway, just wanted to say I enjoyed your thoughts :smileyhappy:

Becca

Contributor
7thgradeteacher
0 Kudos

Becca - I loved how you answered that - as if you don't know Nora completely yet.  You understand her a lot, but she's still unveiling herself to even you the author. 

Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

I think Nora is not so sure of her feelings on Patch, obviously she likes him, looks like if he had cast a spell on her. Perhaps she has no idea of what is too much dangerous or not and as I told in previous posts I think she is connected to Patch because of his mysteries. The more he hides her some things the more she is attracted to him.

During the narrative she courts danger too many times. The episode of the ski man is one, the Victoria's Secret is another, the cemetery, the bartender episode when she simulates being another person... She and Vee are totally confused investigators. Two inside out detectives.

Vee is an adventurous girl, she likes what challenges her, what is mysterious and can catch her to the center, what makes her the most important.

Nora doesn't trust what doesn't satisfy her; perhaps her family relationship has given her this kind of autonomy.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

M,Great analysis.Where are you in the book.?.I just finished yesterday...i never wanted it to end....Hope all is well..Vtc

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

All is well VTC. Thanks!

I'm in later chapters, following the schedule. Liked the book so much, easy language but hope it could explore better the fallen angles. We expect it can come in the second one. Best wishes!

Contributor
Ayrina
0 Kudos

I can see how Nora would make that comparison. Personally, I don't think Patch is very much like a piece of glass, but that's just my view on things. I think that Nora is drawn to danger a lot of the time -- probably because she's kept her life on such a short leash for such a long time that it's nice to have the feeling of something dangerous again.

I didn't think Vee was drawn to danger as much as she was drawn to the attention she got from Jules and Elliot. She didn't seem to realize that she was in danger, as if that thought just didn't occur to her.

And yes, Nora was right not to trust the counselor. Clearly. If a new counselor shows up at your school and tells you to stay away from someone, doesn't that strike you as a little bit odd? Especially seeing as she shouldn't have known very much about either Nora or Patch as a person -- not having met them before, or known anything other than their file. Also -- when staff members mysteriously get replaced with no warning? That tends to lead to strange situations. So, yes, Nora was perfectly justified in her paranoia.

Author
Becca-Fitzpatrick
0 Kudos

Ayrina wrote:

I can see how Nora would make that comparison. Personally, I don't think Patch is very much like a piece of glass, but that's just my view on things. I think that Nora is drawn to danger a lot of the time -- probably because she's kept her life on such a short leash for such a long time that it's nice to have the feeling of something dangerous again.

I didn't think Vee was drawn to danger as much as she was drawn to the attention she got from Jules and Elliot. She didn't seem to realize that she was in danger, as if that thought just didn't occur to her.

And yes, Nora was right not to trust the counselor. Clearly. If a new counselor shows up at your school and tells you to stay away from someone, doesn't that strike you as a little bit odd? Especially seeing as she shouldn't have known very much about either Nora or Patch as a person -- not having met them before, or known anything other than their file. Also -- when staff members mysteriously get replaced with no warning? That tends to lead to strange situations. So, yes, Nora was perfectly justified in her paranoia.

"I didn't think Vee was drawn to danger as much as she was drawn to the attention she got from Jules and Elliot. She didn't seem to realize that she was in danger, as if that thought just didn't occur to her."

I agree with this 100%