Frequent Contributor
RNLana
0 Kudos

Re: Nora

How do you think Nora would describe herself?

I think Nora doesn't have a very high opinion of herself... she isn't very social, perhaps a bit of a loner.  I think she would say she is a bit shy, not part of the "popular group" , but strong and able to stand on her own, loyal to her carefully picked friends.

If you had to do Coach's assignment with Nora as your partner, how would you describe her?

I think Nora is quiet, self-assured,strong enough to stand on her own (probably due to raising herself after the death of her father), and smart.

What is Nora's family life like?

Nora is left alone alot.  The housekeeper, Dorothea is only there part time when Nora's mother is out of town, which is very often, and Nora is an only child, without a living father.

How much do we know about what happened to Nora's father?

Just that he was shot and murdered while out buying a gift for her mother.

How would you describe Nora's friendship with Vee?

She is very close with Vee, although they are very different in both looks and personality.  Vee is the closest to Nora, her confidante.

How would you describe Nora's relationship with boys in general?

Nora doesn't make much time for boys.  Being strong enough to be alone alot, she doesn't act silly and probably  doesn't openly welcome attention from boys her age.

Happy reading,

Lana

Contributor
ilonga
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

How do you think Nora would describe herself?

I think she would describe herself as a plain and normal girl. She don't strike me as those type of girls who are aware of her beauty, she´s always alone, she never had been with any boys and she keep talking about how beautiful and sexy Ve is and nothing about herself. But she's very proud about her legs, though. She's always talking about how long they are.

Also, she would describe herself as a smart girl. At the beggining she was like very straight with her homework, at the point to go to a bar in the middle of the night just to do an interview for her bio class.

If you had to do Coach's assignment with Nora as your partner, how would you describe her?

As a very mature girl with sort of a great sense of humor, very serious and kind of an antisocial. In short words, a very contradictory girl.

What is Nora's family life like?

Kind of disfuntional. She's always alone at home. Her mom's always working till late and her father is dead.

How much do we know about what happened to Nora's father?

Not much. Only that he was murdered.

How would you describe Nora's friendship with Vee?

They are like total opposites. Vee's sometimes like a total airhead and very funny, while Nora is like a sarcastic and very concentrate in her studies and stuff.  But they have a very good relationship. Both girls knows how keep a valance in her differences so they complement each other. I think they have very good friendship.

How would you describe Nora's relationship with boys in general?

Nula. I think Patch is her first experience with the opposite sex, before him she was only interesting in obtaining good grades and go to a good college.

Photobucket
Contributor
Jessica_BookLover
0 Kudos

it's really hard to descibe Nora's relationship with boys in general because we only get a glimpse. All we know is that she isn't interested in anyone until she meets Patch. The couple of boys we see her in in the novel, I guess I would say that she is very cautious and self-involved.  At least it seems like she has a good head on her shoulders most of the time.

B&N Bookseller
Candy33
0 Kudos

How do you think Nora would describe herself? Smart, hard working, independant

If you had to do Coach's assignment with Nora as your partner, how would you describe her? loner, stuck up

What is Nora's family life like? its just her, her mom (abcent) and the housekeeper. her dad was killed

How much do we know about what happened to Nora's father? he was shopping and was shot to death in a random attack

How would you describe Nora's friendship with Vee? love/annoy. just like many friends in high school they are friends cuz no one else is like them. outcasts kind of stick together

How would you describe Nora's relationship with boys in general? she has none. doesnt care about them really. dont know if that is a coping mechanism or for real tho.

Candy
New User
NatB
0 Kudos

I think Nora is a very similar character to Bella in the Twilight Series.  She doesn't have a terribly distinct personality.  She's basically just a normal kid who gets sucked into this crazy situation.  I think this can work in fiction because a female reader can project herself on to the character and get involved in the story as if it were happening to her.  I've noticed that a lot of YA lit has main characters like this. 

Reader 2
Shy_Bird
0 Kudos

i agree is NatB!

Novels can really be effective if the reader can put themselves into the story.

Inspired Contributor
sifu-hotman

Two year olds have got better conversational skills then Nora. She rarely has opinions that are really hers. She never seems to hold her own ground. And who ever thinks this is typical teenage behavior is wrong.

I don't see how she, or anyone would think being called volnerable is a compliment. Or find being bullied by some guy who thinks he's all that is attractive. 

Contributor
sararhiannonm
0 Kudos

I did feel that Nora was pretty spineless sometimes but I think that's how some high school girls are. Nora wasn't really sure of herself. That's how I used to be. She had always been shy and was a people-pleaser. She cared about her friend Vee and hadn't enough life experiences yet to have any strong convictions to make her stand up to Vee yet. Their friendship worked for what she needed at the time. Nora really toughened up in the end of the book though. I was proud of her for being a fighter and a survivor.

Contributor
sararhiannonm
0 Kudos

I think if we see a sequel, we will see Nora grow up tremendously. She will become her own person. A stronger person.

Inspired Contributor
sifu-hotman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I like the way you view the book - but I think you're giving the author too much credit. 

If there were more inner dialogues about her insecurities, more thought of doubt, like normal teenagers have it would have helped me understand where she was coming from. Make me sympathise when she made silly mistakes.

Contributor
wrmbreeze
0 Kudos

How do you think Nora would describe herself? I think she would describe herself as smart, maybe cute.

If you had to do Coach's assignment with Nora as your partner, how would you describe her? I would describe her as smart, lonely and maybe a little too independent.

What is Nora's family life like? Seems lonely for the most part, with only a housekeeper around most of the time.

How much do we know about what happened to Nora's father? That he was dead.

How would you describe Nora's friendship with Vee? Seems to be her only friendship.

How would you describe Nora's relationship with boys in general? Her relationship with boys in general seems nonexistant.

Contributor
ErinRuns
0 Kudos

I think Nora would describe herself as smart, caring, and friendly.

If I was her partner, I would describe her as the same, and depending on my relationship with her, I may also describe her as a little snobby or closed-minded.  She seems to have her group of friends and, at first, before she gets more involved with Patch, she doesn't like to be without them.  Nora and Vee seem to be good friends that can depend on each other.

The only thing we know about Nora's dad is that he was shot while buying a present for her mom.

As for Nora and boys, she seems interested in them, but not overly interested.  She does not seem like the boy-crazy type.

Inspired Correspondent
ponkle
0 Kudos

I find myself seeing my teenage self in Nora. I also see a little of Nancy Drew. She is smart, nice and wants to investigate things. She is a little reticent though. I really like her and I remember when I and most teen girls I think was attracted to the "bad boy". He always had dark hair and mysterious eyes and was never good for you.

I love the way Becca writes Nora, and the whole book. There is description but just what we need, not the flowery adjectives that put me to sleep.

I relate so well that I had to stop reading when the police left when she called them for her room since I was scared since I was home alone (I'm 56 not a teen).  It's a good scary though, not horror.