Frequent Contributor
deannafrances
0 Kudos

Re: Nora

I am bothered by the fact that Nora takes these iron pills.  What does she have?  I did not think it was safe to just take iron by the handful?  I realize you can be anemic and need the iron but I also think overdosing on it is also dangerous.  It almost seems like the author wants her to take some drug and thought the iron pills seemed safe---does anyone else have that opinion?  I will put the question in the ask the author section also.

B&N Bookseller
melissas
0 Kudos

How do you think Nora would describe herself?

Smart, responsible, thoughtful, plain

If you had to do Coach's assignment with Nora as your partner, how would you describe her?

Naive, boring, inhibited

What is Nora's family life like?

Pretty much nonexistent, as she seems to be raising herself

How much do we know about what happened to Nora's father?

He was murdered. He was likely a thoughtful man, as he was killed while finding the perfect Christmas present. Or perhaps we could think he was involved in something shady?

How would you describe Nora's friendship with Vee?

They balance each other nicely. Nora seems like she has to sometimes play mother to Vee or at least curb her in some ways.

How would you describe Nora's relationship with boys in general?

She seems reluctant to seek relationships; they likely only happen in casual settings, by chance. However, I think once a relationship of some kind develops, she can be rash (for example going to the pool hall late at night to meet Patch despite his warnings).

Contributor
Booksx3
0 Kudos

I havent read Hush Hush yet but i read a sample  this is what i think...

Not content with her life but she goes with it.

If you had to do Coach's assignment with Nora as your partner, how would you describe her?
Get Down Too It and Be Done Kinda Girl

She Really Doesnt Have One From What I read, with her mom being gone for work

He Was Killed and they dont know who did it.

They Know Each Other Very Well The kind  of friendship that you have a sister

Nonexistent

Frequent Contributor
TriciaLynn77
0 Kudos

Quiet, smart,

Smart,

The past year she's been alone, her mom is never there, and only has the maid around, i'm not sure what to make of her family life.

That he was shot while going to get Nora's mother a birthday present.

They are best friends, just like any other pair of best friends, they trust each other and tell each other everything.

It seems like she isn't too interested in boys, or that she just has good standards and hasn't found any boy to be perfect.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Pretty normal, smart, caring, independent. 

Attractive – dark eyes, brown Curly hair, long legs.

Romantic  - likes to write poetry

Smart  - would like to attend Stanford, Yale or Harvard

Musical – plays cello

Healthy – eats organic foods

Mother needs to work because father died. Mother travels so Nora depends on housekeeper, Dorothea.

Not much – just that he died recently.

She seems like Nora’s only friend. Vee seems the one who pushes Nora to do things.

Nora seems not to care about the boys until she meets Patch and Elliot.

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Contributor
Mariandy
0 Kudos

So far . . . 

How do you think Nora would describe herself? She would probably say she's a thinker who tries to stay focused on what she needs to do to get into one of the top 3 universities. She might even describe herself as a little bit boring.

If you had to do Coach's assignment with Nora as your partner, how would you describe her? She comes across as a little snobby and selfish but this may be due to aloofness. There must be something cool about her, though, because she has a really cool best friend - Vee.

What is Nora's family life like? What family life? Her father is dead and her mother is absent (so far). Other than Dorothea the housekeeper lady, she is pretty much on her own.

How much do we know about what happened to Nora's father? He died . . . was murdered sometime in the last year.

How would you describe Nora's friendship with Vee? They're best friends . . . very different personalities but they go well together.

How would you describe Nora's relationship with boys in general? I don't think she has really had any except typical school/friend relationships.

Frequent Contributor
misslynn
0 Kudos

Nora would think she is kind of an outsider- not one of the popular girls. Coach thinks she's a pain- constant complainer. Nora is basically raised by her housekeeper, Dorthea, because her mom works a lot to keep the house. we know Nor's dad was murdered about a year ago. Nor's friendship with Vee is pretty typical. They are tight, but do get irritated with each other. Nora doesn't trust boys. She fears.

Contributor
mjcwriter
0 Kudos

I agree about the iron pills thing.  It concerned me because it is such an odd medication to take, I've never heard of anyone having to take iron pills on a regular basis, as needed, like asprin.  Maybe it would not be so jarring if she had asthma instead and teh attacks could be to blame for her "sightings"?

Mary Jo

Creative Writing Teacher for Young Adults
Blogging at:
http://writerinspired.wordpress.com
http://writelikeCRAZY.wordpress.com
Contributor
mjcwriter
0 Kudos

**SPOILER ALERT****

Nora would probably describe herself as pretty, in a girl-next-door way, smart and driven
she is very concerned about getting the grades for an Ivy League school, she has a quiet sense of confidence - sure of herself and her interests and not too concerned with the cliques. 

How I as her partner would describe her:

Dark, pretty, smart, quiet/mysterious, self-involved, studious, ambitious, in need of a wild night out.

Her family closely relates to Bella's family (in Twilight - here I go again!)

how I as her partner would describe her:

Dark, pretty, smart, quiet/mysterious, self-involved, studious, ambitious, in need of a wild night out.

Her family closely relates to Bella's family (in Twilight - here I go again!)  She is mature and comfortable being alone (until..)  She seems to be close w/her mom, but still considers her an authority figure, not someone she would confide in about her boy crushes..

Did I miss something in the book where the reason/motive of her father being killed is mentioned? I thought with her being a descent of Nephil on her father's side, the author would go into more detail of who and why her dad was shot... was that mentioned?

Mary Jo

Creative Writing Teacher for Young Adults
Blogging at:
http://writerinspired.wordpress.com
http://writelikeCRAZY.wordpress.com
Contributor
isa_bly
0 Kudos

Smart, responsible, and focused. 

Self-involved, a go-getter, and somewhat boring. 

Her mom seems to be working out of town a lot. So I would say that she's pretty much all by herself. 

That he was murdered. 

They seem to be close friends, even though they are very different. I think its a genuinely good and honest friendship.

In the beginning of the book, there is a nonexistent relationship with boys.

Contributor
DarkFaerieAssassin
0 Kudos

Average I suppose. She's not caught up in her looks at all. She's responsible and never wants to get into trouble. 

I think she's intelligent and a rational thinker. She's focused on her studies and is trying very hard to get into a top university. She doesn't seem to have many friends outside of Vee.

Nora doesn't get to spend a lot of time with her mom and she lost her father. She understands that her mom is trying to hold things together financially, and doesn't want her mom to worry about her at every turn. It does seem as if Nora likes her freedom. She always thinks about her actions and if her mom would approve.

We know that he was murdered. We don't know why or who killed him. It might have been a random act or there could be more to the story.

Nora cares very much for Vee. Vee is more outgoing and Nora is the quiet and reserved type of person. I don't think Nora is uptight, she's just always cautious. Vee is more spontaneous and doesn't seem to take things seriously.

She's not boy crazy at all. She doesn't seem to have any long standing relationships or even friendships with boys. It's not clear if she has even dated in the past. Patch doesn't treat her with kid gloves. If he thinks it, he says it. If he wants to touch her, he does. His behavior is shocking to Nora.

Inspired Contributor
lg4154
0 Kudos

How do you think Nora would describe herself? She is a little self-absorbed, kind of loner with a little bit of a rebel in there

If you had to do Coach's assignment with Nora as your partner, how would you describe her? She likes to stick to the program, no suprises there since her world has turned upside down within the last year

What is Nora's family life like? Not very close with her Mom & her father is dead. She is more involved with her housekeeper Dorothea than anybody else. Also close with Vee, almost like a sister to her.

How much do we know about what happened to Nora's father? Not a whole lot, Nora is still in shock over the murder

How would you describe Nora's friendship with Vee? More of a sister bond than anything

How would you describe Nora's relationship with boys in general? She is not very trusting of them

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I really liked Nora, she seems very level-headed and so therefore thrown off by Patch. but i think she handles him really well. Her and Vee seem like oposites, which is probably the reason they are friends. I love that they broke into Patch's file and tried to follow the person stalking Nora.

With her Dad gone and her mom out of town on work so frequently, Nora has learned to be independent and self -sufficient.

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Contributor
saren
0 Kudos

responsible, self reliant

responsible, focused, wants to be thought of as mature and independent, very reserved, afraid/hates to ask for help

What family life?  She doesn't seem very connected to her mom at all. 

Very little, and this bothers me.  Given the circumstances surrounding the father's death, why are the mom and Nora both so comfortable with her mom working out of town and leaving her home alone?  I would think most families would be traumatized by such an event.  How are Nora and her mom coping?  What was Nora's relationship with her father?  Were they close?  She certainly doesn't seem close with her mother.

I think Vee completes Nora to a degree.  Nora tries very hard to be grown up and sensible.  Vee is out to party and have fun to an extreme.  They balance one another.

Nora seems very inexperienced with boys (as she should be at her age, lol).  Because of that, it's surprising what sort of behavior she'll accept from Patch.  Unless it's the irresistable angel influence that leads her to make poor decisions with him.

Beauty is whatever gives joy. ~Edna St. Vincent Millay
Contributor
ras1513
0 Kudos

I think Nora would describe her self as a smart, mature adult. I think she see's herself as a grown up seeing as her mom is not around much, I also think thats why she is friends with Vee who is a little imature. Nora needs that sillyness to coexist with her maturity.

I would probably describe her as uptight and a know-it-all, mainly because I was never good at biology and she would probably be mad at me for goofing off like Patch.

I feel bad for Nora and her family life, her dad is dead (only been a year) and her mother is never home always working. No wonder she had to grow up and act like an adult.

Well I know everything that happened to Nora's dad so for thoes who havent read I will not give it away.

I would have to say weird, but common. Vee is the overly dramatic girly girl and Nora the smart adult. I find that to be common among friendships however I find that Nora should probably find new friends.

Non-existent before Patch and Elliot show up, and she seems a little akward around them. However what teenage girl is not akward in one way or another =)

Rachel =)

Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

As a good student, average in looks, not special.  

A rule follower, a loyal friend, a moral girl who doesn't like confilct.

Too much time alone and not enogh family time, but I understand why her mother thinks she has to work so hard and such long hours.

Vee is assertive and use to having Nora give in to her.  They do seem to care about each other though, and find a balance.

She seems insecure and pretty innocent. Too passive.

Inspired Contributor
Think-Im-Listening
0 Kudos

I think she'd describe herself as smart and responsible... which she isnt.

whiney, anooying, thinks she knows everything when she obviously does NOT

She doesn't seem to have one, or even CARE about having one

Not a lot at all. Only that she was murdered and all Nora cares about is keeping her house and not that she nevers gets to see the rest of her family

I think Nora takes advantage of Vee's friendship, making her go out to get attacked like that. She should have been the one being attacked. She doesn't care enough about her either

I think she tries to seem like no one meets her expectations, but she could have anyone she wants, when in reality the boys who tend to like her probably are the only ones that dont meet them, cause that's what she deserves.

Yes, i generally dislike her snooty but I refuse to acknowledge it personality.

"If your heart wears thin, I will hold you up, and I will hide you when it gets too much" -Mariana's Trench
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I see Nora as a young women that is not really sure where she fits into things.  She knows that her mother must work but doesn't really want her world changed that much and people are trying to pressure her into accept things faster thatn she is ready for.  In some ways she wants to be an adult but just isn't ready to give up her childhood.  

Toni

Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal
0 Kudos

Nora is very responsible and independent.  This is a role that she has been forced into with her father's death and mother's job.  She enjoys the company of her housekeeper, Dorothea, but also resents the fact that she is being looked after.  Nora is caught between the teen that she is an the adult that she will soon be.  She is afraid to form a bonding relationship with a boy due to the pain she still feels from the loss of her father.  I don't feel as if she understands this about herself on a conscious level.

Nora is very brave to spend her evenings alone, especially after her feeling that someone is following her, and the experience of the car accident with the disappearance of the damage and the roller coaster incident.  I would have never left Vee's house, and I certainly wouldn't have been able to keep my fear from my mother.  It is very courageous of Nora to protect her mother under these circumstances.  

Nora finds herself in an unfamiliar place when her feelings begin to surface for Patch.  She is not sure what to make of them.  Her intuition tells her that he is dangerous, but her heart says find out more...go for it!

"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper
New User
geslepen
0 Kudos

***SPOILER WARNING***

Nora would probably describe herself as intelligent but fairly plain. She seems to have few defining qualities, apart from bookishness. 

Nora and Vee's friendship is suspiring. They seem to be two very different people. Vee is very outgoing whereas Nora seems very quiet. Vee is less careful with words than Nora is.

Nonexistent, unless the boy can get something from her.