Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
mediamissy

Re: Patch

Overall I have to say I am happy about the composite of Patch. I think sometimes we teach girls/women that men are either good or bad. The truth is there is a little bit of both in all of us, isn't it?

Frequent Contributor
MomforrestMO
0 Kudos

I think that Patch is like a gray area. He has a good side but could likely be very dangerous when necessary,

MomforrestMO
Contributor
isa_bly
0 Kudos

Describe Patch as far as we know him.

Mysterious, and kind of cocky.

If you had to guess or invent a history for Patch, what would it be?

I'm not really sure because Patch hasn't really revealed much about himself. 

Is his attraction to Nora genuine?

I think so, but I get the feeling that it kind of isn't genuine.

Do you see Patch as a badboy type, or more as a hero?

Kind of both, but mostly the bad boy type. 

Why is Nora so drawn to him?

I think because he's mysterious, and most likely physical attraction.  

Has Patch done anything supernatural so far in the novel? What does Nora suspect him of doing?

He channel thoughts into her mind, during the softball game. Nora suspects him of stalking her.

Contributor
SabH-CrystalReviews
0 Kudos

Describe Patch as far as we know him.  Dark, Mysterious and Hot!

If you had to guess or invent a history for Patch, what would it be? He's a very bad very hot weird angel..

Is his attraction to Nora genuine? It's a weird attraction, that's for sure.

Do you see Patch as a badboy type, or more as a hero? Oh, I love the fact that he is bad, bad-boy but also, he tries to be thet "hero".

Why is Nora so drawn to him? Because he makes it that way. Every girl likes a mysterious, hot guy that plays with your mind somehow.

Has Patch done anything supernatural so far in the novel? What does Nora suspect him of doing? He has done some weird stuff, at least she thinks its him. She doesn't really suspect concretely of something, more like she knows he hides something big about himself and his past.

Frequent Contributor
misslynn
0 Kudos

Parch sure comes off as a cocky badboy. Of course, that is the thrill...Nora is somewhat an unique- I follw my own drum kind of person. Sh ewon't just settle for the run-of-the mill sort of guy. Nora suspects Patch of reading her mind.

Frequent Contributor
KateBrianIsAwesome
0 Kudos

Patch's history would be not so good. His attraction to Nora is very genuine. I see Patch as both the bad boy and hero.

Reading can only make you more happy and smarter. :smileyhappy:

Visit my blog at http://teenbibliophile.blogspot.com/

- Mallory
Contributor
AuddyMarie
0 Kudos

Patch is very arcane. Also, picture him as very physically appealing... tall, dark and handsome.

Patch is a tough guy, also had to fight for what he and his family needed. Any problems were always dealt with physically. Ear or be eatten.

Yes, I believe so. Although he knows Nora is too good for him. =)

Badboy... hero? I think hes a bayboy on the exterior but deep down he is a softie with good intentions.

Lets face it, bad boys are sexier.

~~~~~~~~
You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
Paul Sweeney
Inspired Contributor
lg4154
0 Kudos

Describe Patch as far as we know him. He is like a James Dean type, rugged bad boy who doesn't say a whole lot, a loner, very mysterious

If you had to guess or invent a history for Patch, what would it be? That he came from a broken home and is horrible at forming relationships with anyone

Is his attraction to Nora genuine? I think so

Do you see Patch as a badboy type, or more as a hero? badboy definitely

Why is Nora so drawn to him? Because she is not supposed to like him and the more she tries to resist him, she is drawn closer to him

Has Patch done anything supernatural so far in the novel? What does Nora suspect him of doing? She suspects him of getting inside her mind

Contributor
ras1513
0 Kudos

Patch is a mysterious new student at Noras school. He seems like he wants to portray the bad boy image and its working for him. However he seems like he is a good guy who really had a messed up life.

I would have to say Patch is a fallen angel and that he is here for Nora to tell her that she is a fallen angel to. I also think he is from a later time.

I want to say yes it is, however I am worried that it might be for something else.

Oh I see him as a hero mostly, of course he has that bad boy thing going on however I see him as really being a good guy father down in the book.

Nora is so drawn to him by his bad boyness and because she finds him very attractive, however I think its a little more than that. I feel as I keep reading I will see why she is so attracted to him.

Has Patch done anything supernatural so far in the novel? What does Nora suspect him of doing?

Nora suspects Patch of talking in her head, which I find extremely fascinating and cool!

Rachel =)

Contributor
Galleysmith

Patch is the Ultimate Bad Boy

Patch was *by far* my favorite character in this book.  He was bad, then maybe good, then maybe bad....we could never really guess who he really was at heart and I adored that.  I also enjoyed that we didn't get a whole lot of history on him.  Even the bits and pieces we did get seemed so small in the grand scheme of things that I imagine we'll be able to learn so much more later.

As it relates to the questions posed:

1.  If you had to guess or invent a history for Patch, what would it be?

Why would I want to invent a history for him?  The air of mystery that surrounds him is one of his best qualities.  Finding out more about him in bits and pieces is so much more enjoyable than getting everything out in one chapter and moving on.

2. Is his attraction to Nora genuine?

Oh that's a tough one!  I think part of who he is at his core requires him to be attracted to her, to lust for her, even against the very task that brought him to her.  But I also think that as the story progresses we see that he does genuinely feel something for Nora.  Had he not he wouldn't have handled the situation the way he had.   

3.  Why is Nora so drawn to him?

Forbidden fruit.  Sometimes you're just drawn to the ones you shouldn't be.  

4. Has Patch done anything supernatural so far in the novel? What does Nora suspect him of doing?

Hmmmm, Not that we're aware of yet.  He likely has but it's not anything the reader is privy to at this point.  Right now he's simply the bad boy who the good girls shouldn't be attracted to but is.  He maintains his reputation through actions and words but nothing that overtly indicates anything supernatural.

Correspondent
thaisra
0 Kudos

Patch.Interesting name.

Patch is a dark, mysterious, quick-witted,smart-mouthed, sexy badboy.

I see Patch as a badboy who sometimes does heroic things.

He puts thoughts and images in Nora's head.

Contributor
hollyhocks333
0 Kudos

I can't help it, every time I read his name my mind conjures up an image of that Robin Williams character from that horrible movie Patch Adams!

B&N Bookseller
Candy33
0 Kudos

If you had to guess or invent a history for Patch, what would it be? I think he must be a fallen angel, most likely the same fallen angel as the prologue

Is his attraction to Nora genuine? I think so. He seems sweet, but in a stalker sort of way.

Do you see Patch as a badboy type, or more as a hero? I think he is the guy that is usually shy and quiet who ends up being the love of her life.

Why is Nora so drawn to him? He seems mysterious and girls love to crack a mystery.

Has Patch done anything supernatural so far in the novel? What does Nora suspect him of doing? So far, i have just gotten to the part where they get sat next to each other. I dont know how he knows everything about her, but im assuming he can read her mind or something.

Candy
Distinguished Correspondent
Kyleigh
0 Kudos

Describe Patch as far as we know him.   He's obviously very deep and brooding with a very weird sense of humor.  Or maybe that's just his quirky personality.  One thing I didn't like about Patch's character was that he was ALWAYS sexual.  With the inuendos and the comments and such it was like he was only attracted to Nora out of pure lust. 

If you had to guess or invent a history for Patch, what would it be?   Hmm, I would probably have to say close to what his past really was in the novel.  I knew from the beginning that Patch was an angel, though at the time I didn't know he was a fallen one.  So I can't imagine any other past for him. 

Is his attraction to Nora genuine?  At first that would be a definite NO!  His attitude towards Nora at first is quite condescending and belittling.  Nora's an open book to him and I think he enjoyed toying with her.  As the novel progressed I could kinda get the feel that he was starting to become truly attracted to her on a personal level.  With the growing amount of true smiles, he showed in his own small way that he did have affection for her. 

Do you see Patch as a badboy type, or more as a hero?   I would have to say a little bit of both.  Though badboy probably over-rules the hero.  He's the unsuspected hero.  His mannerisms and character as a whole convey a more "misunderstood badboy" vibe than anything.  He's not in anyway what you would call a "hero" but he isn't evil either. 

Why is Nora so drawn to him?   Who wouldn't be attracted to the hot bad boy?  I'm just saying.  But seriously, I think Nora is drawn to him for the simple fact that he's so different from herself.  I think that Nora hides a good part of her real self from the world since her dad's death.  Patch is so upfront and in her face that I think that intrigues her more than anything.  Patch doesn't even have to try and be mysterious and that peaks her natural curiosity.  Though Nora doesn't feel safe within his presence, she begins to trust her "irrational" feelings for him over her common sense. 

Has Patch done anything supernatural so far in the novel? What does Nora suspect him of doing?   Uh, that would be a big fat yes.  I don't want to go too far into it, just in case I reveal any spoilers but Patch is definitely responsible for that little hallucination on the Archangel, and talking in Nora's head.  I would definitely call that supernatural.

"There are two types of people in this world. People who hate clowns...and clowns."
Inspired Contributor
Think-Im-Listening
0 Kudos

Not much of a personality, possessive, doesn't seems to think much of others

Well, the book gives a history so yeah....

Um...... no.... I think it's impossible to be attracted to anyone before you truely know them unless you call it LUST

.... neither

becasue she's a silly girl who refuses to acknowledge danger because of a pretty face

Well, he saves her from falling out of the roller coasters apparently.

"If your heart wears thin, I will hold you up, and I will hide you when it gets too much" -Mariana's Trench
Frequent Contributor
RNLana
0 Kudos

Patch is dark, attractive, sometimes fun-loving... has a mysterious side.

Judging from the opening of the book, perhaps a fallen angel..

Yes, I believe he is genuinely attracted to Nora, and has a purpose for getting to know her.

Patch has a dark, mysterious side but I think it is ultimately for good (hero).

Nora is drawn to the mystery that surrounds Patch.  There is a basic attraction between them.

I think it is supernatural that Patch always appears wherever Nora happens to be.  It is also supernatural that he speaks directly to her mind, seems to read her thoughts and knows so much about her, let alone the weird ride on the Archangel and that Vee was no where to be found when Patch wanted to take Nora home from the Delphic.  Patch magically had Nora's housekeys and they worked almost magically for Patch, but wouldn't turn for Nora.

happy reading,

Lana

Contributor
ilonga
0 Kudos

He`s a misterious young man who seems to be interested in Nora, but we don´t know for sure is it is real or just a way to get to her and harm her. He´s sexy, he's straight to the point, he seems to be dangerous. He probably have supernatural powers like communicate with Nora through her mind. He's kind of protective with her, but -again- we don't know if it is sincere or just a way to gain her.

I think yes. Maybe at first it wasn't, but at the time pass and he spend more time with her, he do fall for her.

For now, as a badboy type. Probably I'll change my mind when I finish the book.

Because he's like a new world to her. He's all that she's not. He makes her feel things that she never experienced before. Also he's very attractive and there are chemistry between them.

Yes. She suspect that he saved her in the roller coaster and that he communicates with her in her mind.

Photobucket
New User
NatB
0 Kudos

Patch was such an interesting character.  He was what made Hush Hush worth reading.  The author somehow managed to make him creepy, yet alluring, which I'm sure was quite the feat.  At first I did wonder why Nora was so drawn to him and then as events started to unfold I became more and more interested in him and it made sense that Nora would too.  Everybody likes a bad boy. 

Correspondent
GreenFairyLV
0 Kudos

He is full of confidence and is cocky of course.  He lives his life on the edge around shady people, people who are weak.  I think he lives the way he does because he has lost everything, most humans if you notice that live that way have some sort of deep sorrow in their past that makes them feel like they have lost everything worth while.

He was innocent, kind and gentle.  He feel in love so deep, so fast he couldn't see straight.  He treated his love like a delicate flower and cherished every second he had with her.  When she died he became like a negative of a photo, totally opposite of what he was before.  He would never be soft again.  He would live hard, love with rough hatred.

I think he is fighting it as much as Nora is, he doesn't want to be attracted to her anymore than she wants to be to him.  But there is a connection there.  The goal is to use her for what he wants, and he is used to using people and getting exactly what he wants.

I see him as kind of like Batman, the bad ass version Christan Beil plays.

I don't see why she wouldn't be drawn to him, nothing like a good old fashioned badboy. Moth to a flame.

I don't know what you mean by "so far".  He does lots of supernatural things and Nora suspects him of doing lots of things sending her messages with his mind for example.

Inspired Contributor
mattzay

Describe Patch as far as we know him.  He is very elusive and mysterious. He also seems to portray himself as the bad boy who wants to be good. He is infatuated with Nora, but why is yet to be seen. He wants to be infatuated with Nora but his intentions are questionable.

If you had to guess or invent a history for Patch, what would it be? I think he is the fallen angel in the beginning of the book. Or he is the angel sitting on the tombstone. He has wronged people in the past and is still trying to find ways to make amends.

Is his attraction to Nora genuine? I don't think it was at first, but I think she grows on him. It is sort of a forbidden love thing.

Do you see Patch as a badboy type or more as a hero? I cannot decide right now. He seems to be a badboy, but I have a feeling that there will be a change in him that shows later.

Why is Nora so drawn to him? Sometimes I wonder if she really had a choice. Maybe it is for the same reasons why she and Vee are such good friends. Vee brings excitement to her life and encourages her to take risks, Patch does the same thing.

Has Patch done anything supernatural so far in the novel? What does Nora suspect him of doing? I think the whole Archangel thing and the car accident are supernatural. So was him influencing the biology teacher to trade seats. Nora suspects him of reading her mind at the baseball game so she is already suspicious of him.