Frequent Contributor
hookedonbooks09
0 Kudos

Re: Patch

I get the sense that Patch is protective and an "old soul".  He always seems to be around---protectively, I think.  And I don't get the same sense of bad boy, as much as a tease, and someone with a mature sense of humor, which causes Nora to get flustered.

He is sexy, but I don't feel that it is in a threatening way toward Nora. 

I have stated this elsewhere in the boards, but I feel he is leading her to something.  Like through her subconscious, he is trying to trigger past memories or something.

I like Patch and I think he will be a positive, hero-type of character in this book.  (I'm in the middle chapters now.)

--Barb

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Inspired Contributor
sifu-hotman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

To me patch was just badly written. From the author's answers in the other thread I could see what she was trying to go for. But it came out too harsh. instead of being a bad-ass cool guy, who girls find attractive, he comes across just agressive. He's the kind of guy, that if i had to sit next to in class i would go running to the principle; beg her/ him to seat me anywhere else. 

Contributor
sararhiannonm
0 Kudos

This book spotlighted Nora and Vee's relationship more than Nora and Patch's, but I feel this was so because this novel is an introductory novel. Patch was intended to be a mystery -- a mystery that Vee and Nora were trying to solve, together. When Nora figured Patch out, it was near the end of the novel so their strong feelings for each other didn't seem realistic. It wasn't so unrealistic that it was a dealbreaker, just they hadn't spent enough time together, in front of the readers. They just kind of jumped from the mystery and ulterior motives to love. They didn't have many experiences together to make me LOVE them together, as a couple and as a team. Not yet. But I do like them together and want to see more of them. I feel a sequel to Hush, Hush would be a prime opportunity to place more emphasis on the couple and build their relationship. I loved this book but I feel a sequel is needed so it won't be a big tease, giving us too little, too late.

Author
Becca-Fitzpatrick
0 Kudos

hookedonbooks09 wrote:

I get the sense that Patch is protective and an "old soul".  He always seems to be around---protectively, I think.  And I don't get the same sense of bad boy, as much as a tease, and someone with a mature sense of humor, which causes Nora to get flustered.

I have stated this elsewhere in the boards, but I feel he is leading her to something.  Like through her subconscious, he is trying to trigger past memories or something.

I like Patch and I think he will be a positive, hero-type of character in this book.  (I'm in the middle chapters now.)

--Barb

Hi, Barb!

I really like your thoughts on Patch.  They're very similar to how I view him - he is a tease and has a mature off-beat sense of humor.  I always enjoy writing his dialogue :smileyhappy:

Becca

Author
Becca-Fitzpatrick

sifu-hotman wrote:

To me patch was just badly written. From the author's answers in the other thread I could see what she was trying to go for. But it came out too harsh. instead of being a bad-ass cool guy, who girls find attractive, he comes across just agressive. He's the kind of guy, that if i had to sit next to in class i would go running to the principle; beg her/ him to seat me anywhere else. 

I like that you point out how aggressive he is - because he definitely is.  I mean, the whole reason he shows up at school is because he has plans to kill Nora.  However, I don't think he's trying to be a cool bad ass.  He's far more deviant than that.  He couldn't care less what anyone thinks of him, least of all girls.  All he cares about in the beginning of the story is getting what he wants.  He's not at school to make friends :smileyhappy:

Becca

Inspired Contributor
sifu-hotman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

But you called him a bad boy in the other thread. Agressive to the point of threatening your life isn't a bad boy. 

A simple defenition of a bad boy is someone who does follow his own rules, but only has an edge to him. patch is full on a broken bottle of beer.

And who is also attractive to women. Shouldn't that mean, that I as a reader should be attracted to him along with Nora? I wasn't. But she was for some reason. 

Maybe it's just me, and in that case I'm sorry for even be getting into this, But no matter how good looking a guy is; if he acts the way Patch did - i would not be attracted to him. I would just be scared out of my wits. 

And when i called him a bad ass cool guy, i didn't mean that that's how he saw himself. Just how i figured i was supposed to be seeing him from how you described him in the other thread. 

New User
geslepen
0 Kudos

***Spoiler?***

Do you see Patch as a badboy type, or more as a hero?

I see Patch as more of a fool than anything, for repeating the same mistakes he made earlier in his life with Nora. Nora will never be immortal and he will never be human...how does he expect to get around that hurt a second time?

New User
Philomenia
0 Kudos

sifu-hotman wrote:

But you called him a bad boy in the other thread. Agressive to the point of threatening your life isn't a bad boy. 

A simple defenition of a bad boy is someone who does follow his own rules, but only has an edge to him. patch is full on a broken bottle of beer.

And who is also attractive to women. Shouldn't that mean, that I as a reader should be attracted to him along with Nora? I wasn't. But she was for some reason. 

Maybe it's just me, and in that case I'm sorry for even be getting into this, But no matter how good looking a guy is; if he acts the way Patch did - i would not be attracted to him. I would just be scared out of my wits. 

And when i called him a bad ass cool guy, i didn't mean that that's how he saw himself. Just how i figured i was supposed to be seeing him from how you described him in the other thread. 

Yeah, I have to agree with Sifu - I felt like Patch was way aggressive and didn't respect Nora at all, even after he decided not to kill her.  I didn't understand what made him change his mind and didn't see how their relationship grew at all.  Especially after he made her believe his car was broken down so he could corner her in a cheap motel.  I think like Sifu, I never understood anyone's attraction to Patch and I actually felt sorry for Nora because she reminded me of so many friends in high school who would accept abuse so long as it meant they were getting attention from the guy.  I'm still struggling to understand the attraction to him.

Author
Becca-Fitzpatrick
0 Kudos

sifu-hotman wrote:

A simple definition of a bad boy is someone who does follow his own rules, but only has an edge to him. patch is full on a broken bottle of beer.

Gotcha.  I appreciate your thoughts.  As the author, I don't expect people to see any of my characters a certain way, so I think it's perfectly fine that you don't like him.  That's part of what makes life unique - that we're all able to like/dislike different things. 

And while I agree with your definition of a bad boy, I don't think it's all encompassing.  What you view as a bad boy might not be the same definition others hold.  Again, personal experience, preference, what have you. 

I don't think you need to be attracted to anyone you don't want.  I've never found Brad Pitt attractive, but many other women do :smileyhappy:

Becca

Author
Becca-Fitzpatrick
0 Kudos

geslepen wrote:

***Spoiler?***

I see Patch as more of a fool than anything, for repeating the same mistakes he made earlier in his life with Nora. Nora will never be immortal and he will never be human...how does he expect to get around that hurt a second time?

I really like that you pointed out he's about to make the same mistakes.  That was something I hoped readers would catch.  How many times in my own life have I found myself making the same mistake more than once?  I think Patch is more human than he realizes. 

Author
Becca-Fitzpatrick
0 Kudos

mediamissy wrote:

Overall I have to say I am happy about the composite of Patch. I think sometimes we teach girls/women that men are either good or bad. The truth is there is a little bit of both in all of us, isn't it?

Amen!

I love this observation.

Frequent Contributor
tato
0 Kudos

Philomena said--

Yeah, I have to agree with Sifu - I felt like Patch was way aggressive and didn't respect Nora at all, even after he decided not to kill her.  I didn't understand what made him change his mind and didn't see how their relationship grew at all.  Especially after he made her believe his car was broken down so he could corner her in a cheap motel.  I think like Sifu, I never understood anyone's attraction to Patch and I actually felt sorry for Nora because she reminded me of so many friends in high school who would accept abuse so long as it meant they were getting attention from the guy.  I'm still struggling to understand the attraction to him.

I definitely agree with Philomena on the fact that I didn't really get to see why Patch has changed his mind about killing Nora. He certainly doesn't show it anywhere. And, yes, the kitchen scene is where everything comes to a conclusion, but I knew that just because he explained it at the end. It's not clear why he retracts. Maybe the facial expressions or sensations should be more developed to get that change from ominous to safe.

But I think that the main problem with all of this, and I've repeated it several times now, is that we don't see the relationship grow, like Philomena said as well. The story has a great potential, and I liked it (Patch and Vee are one of the main reasons), but the fact that there is no depth to their relationship (no substantial dialogues, anything) is what kills me. This is, aftter all, a Love story, and because of that love the leading characters lives are tturned upside down. Their love has paramount consequeneces on each other's lives. And with a love of that caliber, the story should diffuse an I'll-die-for-you-anytime vibe, and I didn't get it. Again, because there's no depth to it.

But the subplots are very well done. The same goes for the characterization and setting. All this cocktail keeps you reading. Hands down to that!

Tatiana

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Becca-Fitzpatrick wrote:

geslepen wrote:

***Spoiler?***

I really like that you pointed out he's about to make the same mistakes.  That was something I hoped readers would catch.  How many times in my own life have I found myself making the same mistake more than once?  I think Patch is more human than he realizes. 

I look forward to finding out more about Patch in the next book and seeing how he and Nora deal with their roles.

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Contributor
khimair
0 Kudos

I was thinking about what you wrote.. "old soul"

I am disagree

I think is a cool character, throughout the novel can not imagine it any other way than young, enigmatic and cool, after all,  is a mystery most of his involvement in the story,  bcause until the end...all is told by her,  the protagonist.

hookedonbooks09 wrote:

--Barb

Contributor
khimair
0 Kudos

Re: Patch is the Ultimate Bad Boy

[ Edited ]

Ok.. mm. Patch is my favorite character in this book...

I think he's a character that can be developed more, or at least show us more of  him.
I think the story narrated by him, whether it would be more interesting.

Would be extremely interesting to know what he think.
Obviously experiencing a conflict, is making a decision, born feelings for Nora, are elements that enriched a lot of the character, but we only have the version of Nora.

Is all a confusion in the heart and head of Patch , first there are not initial intentions to respect to Nora, want to kill her, finally ending protecting ...So... Miss Becca F. With all this i think that you can enlighten about Patch in the next book?
Contributor
Keyve
0 Kudos

Re: Patch is the Ultimate Bad Boy

If you had to guess or invent a history for Patch, what would it be?

As normal human you mean? Rough childhood but with a optimistic attitude that things would get better but as they started getting better he craves for too much and then gets burned, meaning his wings getting dettached from him

Is his attraction to Nora genuine?

At first I don't think so, he have a goal and objective with her but when he gets to know her, his fascination for her changes things and he ended up with more than an attraction

Badbass, sexy but who gets to redeem himself in a way that I never expected... and yet he still sexy a hero! jejeje

Why is Nora so drawn to him?

Who wouldn't be? He's sexy... interesting, he's everything your momma tell you not to look in a guy but what we can't have is what we more want! Though you know is bad, yet you are curious to see what's the deal with him! I mean..

Has Patch done anything supernatural so far in the novel? What does Nora suspect him of doing?

The voice in her head tells is obviously telling her something is very off with this guy...

Contributor
Ayrina
0 Kudos

Well, my best friend/roomie read the book immediately after I did, and she was squealing practically the whole time because she thought Patch was just adorable. Me? I had trouble seeing him as a bad boy, because he wasn't really intense or dangerous enough -- he enjoyed playing with Nora just a little bit too much to be really taken seriously. At the same time, I couldn't exactly see him as a hero, because for most of the book I couldn't really believe that he was attracted to her, and especially when it came out that he was trying to kill her... I suppose, from a certain standpoint, you could see Patch as a hero at the end, but it's hardly heroism if the person you save was only in need of saving because of you, isn't it?

Contributor
FallingOffTheShelf
0 Kudos

If you had to guess or invent a history for Patch, what would it be? - I'd say he's a fallen angel, with a more than wicked past...and Nora is his healthy dose of medicine

Is his attraction to Nora genuine? I think it is..

Do you see Patch as a badboy type, or more as a hero? Oh he's a bad boy, yet a hero at heart..just doesn't know it yet.

Why is Nora so drawn to him? I'm not sure, but I'm also drawn to him!  As a character I'd say that I feel the same way about him as Nora does in the beginning...

Has Patch done anything supernatural so far in the novel? What does Nora suspect him of doing? Yes, he's able to speak through Nora's mind...at least that is what she suspects.

Visit my blog for great reviews and giveaways!
http://fallingofftheshelf.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Lovez-to-Read
0 Kudos

Describe Patch as far as we know him. 

well he seems mysterious and sexy and the kind of guy  would personally want as a boyfriend :smileyhappy: <3 lolzz

he feel for a girl 

well at frist he seemed rapist but now he seems to like her 

badd boy who does good things :smileywink: 

At frst cause she wants to find out whats up but then cause she just wants him 

Has Patch done anything supernatural so far in the novel? What does Nora suspect him of doing?

put images in he rmindd

New User
BookJunkieee
0 Kudos

Describe Patch as far as we know him. 

Patch is sort of that dude at your school you never hangout with for fear he just might jump you.

The little boy with horrible role-models as parents and fell into gangs and wars doing stupid stuff just fer the fun of it.

It's hard to tell. bBut the way it seems he stares at her definitely!

Badboy type for sure! I think he's misguided though. So his conscious is saying save Nora.

I think everyone is drawn to the BadBoy type. nora just picked the dangerous of them all.

yes! When Patch appears in the Bathroom when it was LOCKED!! CREEPY!! Nora suspects him of keeps vital secrets from her that could save the people close to her and unlock the mysteries happening in her mind. :smileyhappy: