Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Questions for Becca Fitzpatrick?

Becca will be joining or group as we discuss, "Hush, Hush"  Please help me to welcome her, and please post questions for her here!

Contributor
johnandjeanne
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Becca Fitzpatrick?

Hi Becca,

This is John from Tampa. I just started reading hush,hush and was wondering in the opening sequence, is Chauncy and Patch related somwhow; because it seems like they both maay be fallen angels? I also love the cover picture; pretty cool. Also, is this possibly going to be a series or just a stand alone novel?

Thanks

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Hi Becca,,,,Really enjoying Hush,Hush,and will finish  it because of the normalcy and everyday life of really teenagers everywhere....Its so current and real to me..Since I am a believer,have you had any experiences that prompted you to write Hush,Hush.? Oh,and Nancy Drew,embracing our beautiful curls,'The Jane Austin Book Club",did you see the movie,I didn't,but loved the book,we have alot in common..You will find that here..a common  thread...I know already that a sequel would be welcome by all(no pressure).any Curly Hair questions you have for me,feel free..all i can say is "Moroccanoil."www.moroccanoil.com...My Quest had ended with these products.....Also how does an Author such as yourself become part of an Auction,for your book..I had never known that exsisted...I am glad you are here to discuss.the book, Congrats.....Best...Vtcthis week..I was drawn into the characters

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Correspondent
Rosei

Congratulations, Becca, on your new book!

My questions are what was your inspirations to write Hush, Hush? And what are your favorite authors?

I just start reading Hush, Hush and I'm enjoying it so much. Thank you for the opportunity!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Welcome Becca and thank you for being a part of this.

My question (for now) is, I always wonder why authors choose to write for the YA audience, what inspired you to seek the younger crowd.

ps I'm really enjoying the novel and finding it incredibly hard to stay with the reading schedule, I just want to gobble the whole thing right up.

Author
Becca-Fitzpatrick

Hi, everyone!

I'm here!  Yay!  I can't wait to talk to you and answer your questions!  I'll be on the boards throughout the day, so if any new questions pop to mind, don't hesitate to ask.

Becca

Inspired Contributor
Zia01
0 Kudos

Hi Becca! I have to say that I am enjoying Hush Hush very much so far. I find myself really drawn to Patch. My question is, what made you decide you wanted to become an writer? Was there any one person or set of people that helped your decision along?

Contributor
wendyreads09

Welcome Becca!:smileyvery-happy:

I'm so excited to be reading Hush,Hush.  It's definitely a book that you can't put down.  How did you come up with the title?  Why did you want to write about Angels (specifically Fallen Angels)?  I hope this is Book One in a series as I can't get enough of Nora and Patch. Looking forward to discussing Hush,Hush with you and everyone at First Look.

Wendy

Wordsmith
marciliogq

Hi Becca, First of all I'd like to congratulate you for the nice book. I have a question about the fallen angels.

In my readings about them I realized a point in common: the temptation which includes something related to sex. The sin is connected to a sex-appeal atmosphere. How do you relate this in the book where the target audience is teenagers?

New User
belle_strange
0 Kudos

Hi Becca!

I've already finished Hush, Hush, and I don't want to spoil anyone, so I will ask where your inspiration for Vee's character came from? Most teen characters that are 'curvy', as you describe Vee, don't have her self-confidence. I thought she was great!

- Belle

Inspired Correspondent
ponkle

Welcome Becca (one of my favorite names by the way as one of my daughters goes by Becca also)

I'm very happy to be reading this book and I am enjoying it very much !

My question for you is when writing this book did you think about writing specifically for the YA market or did you just write the story you wanted? I am 56 and my daughter is 26 and we both enjoyed your book. I love the imagination you can use in YA books that doesn't seem to be present in books for adults.

Well thanks for writing and I'm back to read some more.

Contributor
suitejuju
0 Kudos

Thank you Becca for this amazing oppurtunity.

One of my favorite parts of hush, hush was the setting. Did you visit Maine before selecting it as your location? 

Author
ConnieAnnKirk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi, Becca!

Congratulations on your novel, and welcome to the Barnes & Noble.com Book Clubs.  It must feel great to have the story you worked on for so long now be coming out where everyone can read it and respond to it!

I finished reading the novel several days ago, and I have an opening question for you:

To me, the novel begs comparisons to Stephenie Meyer's Twilight (sorry if the comparison annoys you as the author of your own original work--I'm sure it would bug me!)  I think the comparisons will be inevitable, though, whether or not Twilight influenced your story.  How do you feel about readers seeing several similarities between the 2 novels?  (I won't bring up the similarities I see now, because many here have not finished reading yet).  Was your work influenced by Twilight?

Thanks again for being here, and good luck with First Look!

~ConnieAnnKirk

[CAK's books , website.]
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke

[ Edited ]

Becca:

My question refers to the character "Coach" - I was a little disturbed about his comments regarding sex as a science and the fact that "Science is an investigation" "Science requires us to transform in to spies" and "Good sleuthing takes practice and you learn by sleuthing".

Don't you think these are very suggestive statements for a teacher to make to high school students? Do you think a real high school teacher could get away with teaching the kids about sex as a science and making these statements?

I realize that writing fiction allows the author to let character be portrayed different from real life. Maybe my real qustion is: "Do high school teachers get away with speaking so suggestively to the students?"

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Frequent Contributor
Rabid_Reader
0 Kudos

Hi Becca,

First of all I want to congratulate you on publishing such a great book! Secondly the cover art is gorgeous! I have to admit to you that I started and read your book in a day and couldn't put it down! That being said, I went to your website to learn more about you and about the book. My first question is, I was reading your blog and it said that the published version is going to have a new ending, I was wondering how different that ending was going to be? I enjoyed the book so much, that I'll definetly be going out to by it when it's released (especially to see the new ending). Next, I wanted to ask you how Crescendo was coming along (love the title hope you get to keep it), and even though your just in the early stages of revising it if you have any rough timeline of when it is expected to come out? I can't wait to see where you take the characters next.

Rabid_Reader

Contributor
akymberli
0 Kudos

Becca -

So far I am loving it~  I can't wait to see how the love triangle works out and who is really the "bad" guy!  It is hard to stay with the reading schedule, but I am looking forward to drawing this lovely book out over the whole month.

Thanks for writing and keep it up~

Kim

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

I'll be posting the new ending in a week or so. Stay tuned!

Rabid_Reader wrote:

Hi Becca,

First of all I want to congratulate you on publishing such a great book! Secondly the cover art is gorgeous! I have to admit to you that I started and read your book in a day and couldn't put it down! That being said, I went to your website to learn more about you and about the book. My first question is, I was reading your blog and it said that the published version is going to have a new ending, I was wondering how different that ending was going to be? I enjoyed the book so much, that I'll definetly be going out to by it when it's released (especially to see the new ending). Next, I wanted to ask you how Crescendo was coming along (love the title hope you get to keep it), and even though your just in the early stages of revising it if you have any rough timeline of when it is expected to come out? I can't wait to see where you take the characters next.

Rabid_Reader

Contributor
Kelsey94
0 Kudos

Hi Becca, amazing book! I really enjoyed it! How did you come up with such a great idea? Also, I love the cover, will the sequels cover be similar?

Author
Becca-Fitzpatrick

johnandjeanne wrote:

Hi Becca,

This is John from Tampa. I just started reading hush,hush and was wondering in the opening sequence, is Chauncey and Patch related somehow; because it seems like they both maay be fallen angels? I also love the cover picture; pretty cool. Also, is this possibly going to be a series or just a stand alone novel?

Thanks

Hi, John! 

I've been asked about the relationship between Patch and Chauncey a few times, so it seems to be something a lot of people wonder about.  They aren't related, however, Patch does know the fallen angel who mated with Chauncey's mother to create him.  I know I don't go into a lot of detail in the opening sequence, but Patch is a fallen angel, and Chauncey is a Nephilim - a race that was created when fallen angels mated with mortal women.  That's part of what makes Chauncey, and other Nephilim, so interesting.  They're part fallen angel, and thus are immortal, but they're also part human, and can feel physical sensations like pain, hunger, warmth, etc. 

I agree with you about the cover - I feel lucky to have such a stunning one!  And HUSH, HUSH does have a sequel - it's currently titled CRESCENDO and comes out October 2010.  Thanks for the great questions!

Becca

Author
Becca-Fitzpatrick
0 Kudos

<!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } -->

Hi, Vermontcozy!

I'm assuming by your name that you live in Vermont? I spent a summer in Burlington when I was 22, and one of my critique partners is also from Vermont! Oh, how I miss Ben & Jerry's...

As for your questions, the very first inspiration for HUSH, HUSH came from an experience in my own tenth-grade biology class. We must have been studying human reproduction, because my teacher asked me, in front of the whole class, to name characteristics I would be attracted to in a mate (really!) I sat next to a cute boy, and the thought of naming characteristics I might look for in a mate was a humiliation I was not about to subject myself to. But the experience always stuck with me, and when I sat down to write HUSH, HUSH, that little piece of my history evolved into an early scene in the book. If you've read past page 40, you probably know which scene I'm talking about!

I'm so glad you love THE JANE AUSTEN BOOK CLUB – I love, love, love it and recommend it to everyone. I once read a pretty hateful review of the book online, and in the heat of the moment, I came this close to emailing the reviewer to tell them how they'd obviously missed the whole point of the book :smileyhappy:. And, yes, I saw the movie. It was good, but not as good as the book – they never are.

Thanks for the product recommendation – I'll have to give it a try. Right now I'm using Deva Curl care products and they are amazing, especially the shampoo. My hair has never felt this moisturized. Love it!

As far as the auction, I didn't really know they existed either. In fact, I didn't have any idea how much planning and decision making goes into every book that's sold/bought. Auctions are very exciting for authors and agents, but I can imagine they're pretty stressful for editors. When my agent submitted HUSH, HUSH, I believe she sent it to ten editors. Within a couple days, a few editors had called my agent to discuss pre-emptive offers for the book. Since there was quite a bit of interest, my agent decided to hold an auction. Auctions can be conducted in different ways, but my agent simply asked each editor to name their top price. And that's how Simon & Schuster came to be my publisher, and HUSH, HUSH came to be in your hands.