Contributor
peacelovevegan
0 Kudos

Re: Vee

Describe what Vee is like. Vee is a very loud, extrovert and as mentioned above, an 'in your face' young girl. She speaks her mind and isn't really one to hold herself back on anything - I think she'll either go in all guns blazing or not at all. She likes to have fun, likes adventure, indulgence and a little danger from life. She doesn't really think things through very thoroughly before acting - she acts on impulse, despite the fact that sometimes it's not the safest or most advised. She's dramatic, fun-loving, irresponsible and a little on the wild side.

What kind of friend is she? What makes Nora and Vee's friendship work out so well? As others have mentioned above -they're like two complete opposites and that's why it works. They balance one another very well and although at times Nora is annoyed with some of Vee's actions and the things she says, they bring out more personality in one another. Each is like the others rock - always there for the other when in times of need and share this unspoken connection with one another that strengethens their friendship.

How would you describe the similarities (if any) and differences that Vee and Nora have? They're both very loyal and caring toward each other. Although they each have different ideas about how to approach a situation - both are headstrong, stubborn and persistant enough to not let go of something, to keep digging until they have the answers.

What are Vee's feelings about Patch? She thinks he's attractive - she likes that air of danger he exudes and obviously thinks he's sexy. Yet as time goes on she grows more suspicious of Patch  - still thinks he's cute, but she doesn't trust him or like his personality a great deal.

Inspired Contributor
Think-Im-Listening
0 Kudos

What kind of friend is she? What makes Nora and Vee's friendship work out so well?

I think Vee is the source of most of the fun in the relationship. Nora's very boring, and the only time she does anything remotely bold her thoughts ruin it for her. Vee and nora's relationship is probably mostly about balance, she makes things fun, and nora makes sure she doesn't have too much fun. Vee's the sorta friend that you know you have to have someone watching her to make sure doesn't end up doing something she'd regret later. (Personally I thought she should have had more of a role in the story since she was one of the reasons I forced myself to finish)

How would you describe the similarities (if any) and differences that Vee and Nora have?

I don't think they really have any similarities. Vee's awesome and carefree like you SHOULD be in your teenage years (okay she might be a little over the top) and maybe a little selfish at times. Nora's whiney who over thinks everything. I think she's selfish 95 percent of the time. Maybe that's a similarity...

What are Vee's feelings about Patch?

She doesn't particularly like him. She believe that Nora should be with Elliot.

"If your heart wears thin, I will hold you up, and I will hide you when it gets too much" -Mariana's Trench
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Describe what Vee is like.

Vee seems to have a very energetic, spontaneous personality. 

What kind of friend is she? What makes Nora and Vee's friendship work out so well?

She seems to be Nora’s best friend and so far her only female friend. Nora seems more laid back and Vee seems to motivate her to do things. 

How would you describe the similarities (if any) and differences that Vee and Nora have?

Vee and Nora definitely seem to take care of each other except Nora seems to be distracted with Patch and therefore I don’t think Vee completely understands what is happening to her friend. Nora and Vee seem to direct opposites and thereby complement each other.

She doesn’t seem to be able to feel comfortable about him yet.

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Contributor
Mariandy
0 Kudos

On page 74 Vee was described as "Scandinavian fair" but this is not how I pictured her in my mind at all. She is a fun, "real" young woman with a lot of attitude, which is at times very amusing, but may also be a cover for some underlying insecurities. I don't really know enough about her yet, but I can tell you that I totally love her and would definitely want to be friends with her.

To me her strongest quality is her "realness" - you don't have to guess what she's thinking. I think this is what makes her and Nora work. Nora is so much the opposite of Vee - controlled, restrained to Vee's "in your face." It's not so much "opposites attract" as it is that they complement each other.

Vee is kind of a mother hen to Nora . . . which is why I think she sees Patch as being a sort of danger and wants to keep Nora away from him. But I think eventually she will change her mind about this.

Contributor
7thgradeteacher

I really didn't like Vee much of the time.  She seemed self-centered.  I mean, she wouldn't drive Nora home because it scared her.  What kind of friend is that?  I think they are friends because they balance each other some.  I also think Vee is in the book to act as a foil to Nora's character.  Nora doesn't seem as selfish or mean when she's compared to Vee.  She also seems less impulsive and more mature, because when compared to Vee she is. 

Frequent Contributor
misslynn
0 Kudos

To me Vee sounds like an Asian name. I was somewhat surprised that she was actually a plump blonde. Almost seems like there is a like/dislike/jealousy type thing going on with Patch.

Contributor
Nikkayme
0 Kudos

Describe what Vee is like

Vee is definitely a wild one. She seems like she is the life of the party and always a little rowdy. She is a nice contrast to the quieter Nora.

Vee can be a good friend. It is clear that she truly cares for Nora, but once Elliot and Jules come into the picture it is hard to determine who Vee really is. She seems very much boy crazy. Nora and Vee's relationship works so well because the two characters are different. Vee is the more outgoing one and she brings Nora out of her shell a bit.

The two girls are able to talk to one another because they are somewhat of outsiders. They are each others only close friends, so they hold onto that tightly.

At first Vee thinks Patch is very good-looking, but she later sees him as more of creep. She tries to protect Nora by following her own feelings.

It's easier to understand Vee once you have read the entire book. I have and there's a lot more I wanted to say, but I leave that until everyone has read the whole thing.

Contributor
DarkFaerieAssassin
0 Kudos

I think Vee is an instigator, insecure, and not as confident as she trys to be. The "color food" diet is one example. She was also very trusting with 2 complete strangers right off the bat. She doesn't think before she acts. She didn't take Nora serious when Nora told her about the Elliott incident. That's pretty selfish.

I think that Vee is a good friend, but I also think she can be selfish at times. She can be self absorbed and has a hard time listening to Nora's concerns. Their friendship works well because they balance each other out. They also don't appear to have many friends.

I think they would do anything for each other. Vee is more outgoing and Nora is more reserved. I think Vee is more boy crazy and Nora is more cautious about being with a boy. 

Vee finds him sexy, but dangerous. Once Elliott came into the picture, she started to think that Patch was no good for Nora and that Nora should stay away from him. 

Contributor
ras1513
0 Kudos

Vee is the kind of friend that everyone has, she is the friend who is always in your business whether you like it or not. Vee is very outspoken and like to have the attention all around her. Even though she is boy crazy I can tell she is insecure with herself.

Vee seems like a good friend however I feel she is a little selfish. She is the kind of friend that stands up for Nora however also getting her into trouble at the same time. I think what makes their friendship work out so well is that Nora and Vee are very different; Vee being the outspoken flashy in your face girl, while Nora is the quiet smart girl.

In similarities I would say Vee and Nora both like what every high school girl likes, boys. They seem to also not like Marcie, and work for the ezine. Differences I would have to say Vee is loud and spontaneous, while Nora seems to be quiet and reserved. Also Nora seems to be a very good student while Vee seems like a slacker. 

Vee at first loves Patch she finds him darkly irresistible, however she still finds him attractive later on she thinks he is stalking Nora and is dangerous.

Rachel =)

Contributor
Booksx3
0 Kudos

Shes the type of girl i would loved to be friends with shes knows what she wants and just goes after it and she speaks her mind.

Shes out there sometimes but shes a good friend.
One is the thinker and the other is "get up and go" no thinking until later shes like the missing part too nora.

There are so many differences but in a good way they balance each other out

She thinks hes hot. she likes the bad boy types shes even turned on by it but then some little part of her it scared of it also but too her it makes it that much better.

Contributor
amt19
0 Kudos

Vee is wild and daring

Vee is a good friend.

Vee is the outgoing,impulsive one as where Nora is the more rational one so they even each other out.

What are Vee's feelings about Patch? Eve thinks patch is bad news.

Frequent Contributor
tato
0 Kudos

I LOVED Vee. She is so funny! Yes, she can be really annoying and way too outspoken sometimes (she's sex-starved!), but she's the spark in all the puzzling, dark, tumultous mayhem Nora's living through. The scene at the hospital, after she is attacked and high on painkillers, was the funniest scene in the book. I had a wide smile stretching my lips the whole time. And it's nice to have those breaks amid the mysteriousness and confussion. It gives the reader a chance to breathe a bit.

The only thing that I didn't quite see was that "invisible threat" between Nora and her. It doesn't show. We're just told it's there, but it's not obvious at all. And for these things, it's better to show than to tell, makes it more credible.

So, as you can see, I didn't see any similarities between them. They were opposites, actually (yes, they are un-twins, I know, but again it doesn't really show).

Contributor
Galleysmith
0 Kudos

Vee is a typical teenager in that she apparently has low self-esteem who builds a certain persona as a mask to hide behind. Her obsession with the superficial can be annoying at times but as we see her through the novel she becomes less flighty.

1. What kind of friend is she? What makes Nora and Vee's friendship work out so well?

Initially I thought Vee was very selfish but as the story progressed she lost a bit of that and pushed Nora to do what she really wanted.  I don't think she was unlike most girls her age....boy crazy, wanting her friend to be with her all the time and sharing the experience with her.   She and Nora even each other out.  Where Vee is flighty Nora anchors her, where Nora thinks too much Vee encourages spontaneity.  They care for each other and help each other by working as a team with each other's strengths and weaknesses.

2.  What are Vee's feelings about Patch?

She's rightfully skeptical of Patch.  He's done everything he can to make her wary of him and she heeds that.  She listens to his verbal and non-verbal cues that he's someone that she and Nora should be careful around.  I found it interesting that much like Patch we couldn't always read Vee.  Sometimes it felt as if she was pushing Nora towards him and then others she was quite obviously pulling her away.

Contributor
lasha908
0 Kudos

I think that Vee is a decent friend to nora, but she needs to work on herself! shes a great character and brings alot to the book . i like her. Nora is my favorite character in the book. Im still in the final pages of the book and i cant wait to finish reading it. its awesome!!!!!!

Frequent Contributor
tato
0 Kudos

Wow, I truly admire you lasha908...you haven't finished the book and yet, you stopped a moment to write about it. That takes a lot of self-discipline, something I do not know with books, especially with books like this one. Since the moment I started reading it, I couldn't put it down, so congrats there lasha, really. I should be less obessive with my reading...lol

Contributor
hollyhocks333

Wow I'm shocked that so many people loved Vee.  I think the other poster got it right, those of us not in the YA age group outgrew this type of friend once we hit college and therefore have a little more perspective when it comes to this character.  Seriously though I don't think Vee has a single redeeming quality.  She's a pathetic friend, she could care less about Nora when a boy is involved, she has to be one of the most stupid person in existence - honestly I was a little disappointed when she didn't die at the end.  I think pages 259-261 pretty much sum up everything you need to know about the real Vee

Frequent Contributor
RNLana
0 Kudos

Describe what Vee is like. Vee is sponaneous, fun-loving and easy-going.  What kind of friend is she? What makes Nora and Vee's friendship work out so well? I think Vee is a very loyal friend that wants only the best for Nora.  Sometimes, they are both self-centered, but that is part of being a teenager.  The fact that Nora and Vee are so opposite balances their friendship.  They can both be themselves with each other.  How would you describe the similarities (if any) and differences that Vee and Nora have? Both girls have had a struggle... Vee struggles with her weight while Nora struggled with the death of her father and her different home life. What are Vee's feelings about Patch? Vee thinks Patch is attractive, but doesn't really know him well.  I don't think their personalities complement each other. Happy reading, Lana
Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Vee is one of the most interesting characters for me. She is such an ambiguous girl: adult and teen sometimes. Smart and innocent. Sexy and childish. She is a loyal friend who really makes everything to help Nora even making too many mistakes she believe are the best things she could do for her friend Nora. I think Vee is darer than Nora, and a bit more decisive. Her feelings about Patch are the same she has for other guys: she wants to be the center of the attention, the sexiest and most interesting girl. Patch is perhaps the only guy that doesn't spend her so much attention and it makes him a special one for her.

Reader 4
jujugal8
0 Kudos

Vee is a it adventurous in a way but doesn't know when to bring it down a notch.  There were a few times where she annoyed me.

She does seem to have Nora's back in what I have read so far which makes her a friend who can be depended on.  I think their friendship works out well because they are opposite in ways and balance each other out.

Nora seems to be more reserved and laid back where Vee is very outspoken and always wanting to be on the go.

Thinks he's good looking but does not trust him.  (I'm only about halfway through the book)

Contributor
bschoeck
0 Kudos

I love Vee.  I like that she is voluptuous, confident, and flirty.  She also seems like a really good friend to Nora.  She tries to protect her, find her a cute boy, and hang out with her when she needs a friend.  Although, Vee is so caught up by boys, that she sometimes loses focus about what is important if there is a boy involved.  Therefore, she doesn't offer Nora much help in figuring out who is following her, etc.