Inspired Contributor
LISA-BRYAN
0 Kudos

Re: A Note to the First Look Book Club

Dear Erick-

I appreciate your letter and your background. 

I have finished reading "Of Bees and Mist" and I can say that it is a wonderful book. It is not the type of genre I usually read but the book grabs you and doesn't let go until you stay up and quietly read while the rest of your family sleeps.  The complexity of the characters and the cover with all its hidden objects ---- very interesting.

I love how the book is timeless and also placeless.   I never even missed it  --- it would not work for all books but for "Of Bees and Mist" it wouldn't work any other way.

I am still trying to figure out all the symbolism with the numbers 3, 10.... and the names of roads, streets....

"Of Bees and Mist" is truly a book that makes you think!  So many books are like watching TV in that they require little to no thinking on the readers part.  Reading should be exercise for the mind and you have accomplished that without forcing it upon the reader -- excellent job!

In closing I want to say how very privileged I feel by having the opportunity to read such a wonderful book.

Thank you so much for your time and effort in creating this great book!

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Dear Erick,

I feel that you have been pulled into action by forces that are suspended between East and West, guided by spirits of childhood, edited by masters of adult discipline, and so have painted the results of circumstances of event, of emotion, and of ever-present principles of universal need in a timeless, unstable landscape of everyday family life. While your characters scan modern magazines for couture and coupons, they also barter in medieval markets and allow ancient beliefs to influence their actions. Symbolically trapped into personal nightmares and dreams they fulfill subconscious demands of predetermined destinies.

One might instinctively gather bees and mist and hungry marigolds into a storage tank of facts, accepting them as magical properties, ghostly attributes, symbolic retributions, or simply as literary vehicles of your creative mind. Or, one might take a look at one's own past and discover fog, flies, and fiery dragons. I have danced on love-bleached beaches, have touched the butchered pain of the fawn in its coffin, outwitted the parent, outsmarted the trader, stood wet and bedraggled in the mists. I've welcomed estranged spirits and said farewell to the friend who was called to distant shores. When a staircase was too difficult to climb I've clung to the wall for solace. When stung by words spoken in honeyed tongues, I have bandaged my wounds and continued my journey.

That an ordinary lifecycle has been illuminated by you in such vivid imagery and with such insight is remarkable. I have a feeling that this story will captivate future generations of adults, young gamers who are familiar with the concept of timeless interaction of ghosts, swordsmen, dysfunctional cooks, and bookish professors. They will slip from one reality into another without the pull of literary gravity, without pining for geographical borders or constraints of timelines.

While I am reading the next chapters I am interested in the following:

Will Meridia learn the "right way" to treat others, without having been taught?

Is there hope for redemption for any of the other characters?

Will Hannah, who has visited briefly as voice of "self-discovery," come back?

What will happen to Permony?

I wish you much success with your first novel and hope that you will find many more human landscapes to paint into words.

Frequent Contributor
GadgetgirlKS
0 Kudos

Erick, 

Thank you for the glimpse into your past. You have really sparked my interest in another part of history I know very little about. I have almost completed Of Bees and Mist and with your eloquent writing style, I urge you to consider writing a book about your life someday. Congratulations on your first publication, you will go far!

GadgetgirlKS

Contributor
lauren812
0 Kudos

Erick,

I've read about 100 pages of the book, and am enjoying it very much. I'm having a hard time putting it down! Thank you for being part of the club and for sharing your book with all of us. You are a very talented writer!

Inspired Correspondent
Immortal-Spirit
0 Kudos

Dear Erick,

As others have said, it's a can't put down book.  I am loving the timelessness of it and the magic is outstanding.  Can't wait to finish it....:smileyhappy:

Thank you for letting us enjoy this book and for telling us about yourself.  

Correspondent
PinkPanther
0 Kudos

Dear Erick,

Your book is one of the best one's that I have read in my life of 20 years. I try to hold myself back from reading the whole night, but I know I have to stop because I want to make the book last. You end each chapter leaving me curious as what comes next. It forces me to read its pages! I absolutely love it and hope that you write more like this. Your imagination in creating this story is wonderful and I really appreciate that you gave this book to the first look club. 

You have created characters with their own personalities, and you take us through their lives and how they change without leaving any of the negative aspects out of it. Many books try to make characters as interesting as yours, but they describe them for chapters on end, and eventually sound like broken records boring us with the same thing. You let us into the characters with enough information to feel as if we knew them all of our lives, yet you do not go on and on about their personalities. I love it.

Please, please, please, if you write another book, it has to be on the first look club. I, along with many other readers would really love the opportunity to read another one of your masterpieces. I will be sure to tell everyone I know to read your book when it comes out in August. I am pretty sure that they will love your book as much as I do!

Once again, thank you for writting such a wonderful book!

"I ought, therefore I can"
-Immanuel Kant
Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

Dear Erick,

I have also really enjoyed your book and read the whole book, I couldn't wait so I finish it.  Now I am going book and reading the chapters the way that they were suppose to.  You have created a great story and I will be telling all of my friends etc to read this book.  It a book that you don't want to put down.  It makes you think of what is going on and what is going to happen.   Best of luck and I do hope that you keep on writing because I can't wait for your next book.  Also I have bookmark your site on my favorite list

Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

Erick,

I love all of the symbolism in your book!

Jo

Reader
kpud
0 Kudos

Erick, I just wanted to say that I loved this book.  I had a very hard time putting it down, as my 1-year-old can attest.  I read most of it sitting on the floor with him playing nearby or during naptimes.  I really felt like I knew a lot of the characters.  Thank you for writing such a wonderful story!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Dear Erick,I would like to take this opportunity to thank BarnesandNoble,Paul and MsRKubie,for bringing us "Of Bees and Mist".Ultimately your skills at writing such a thought provoking novel ,was at the very least part of their choosing it as our First Look. When I started putting it all together ,and seeing situations that I could relate to,and then as I read on,it became clear to me,what a wonderful study of the joys,sadness,and protective nature for survival and that is why I loved reading your book..I finished it a while ago,and did not post much.It became clear to me that your insight at such a young age,was the product of your upbringing.Thank you so much for us letting in,and exploring and maybe coming to terms with our own issues ....I am looking forward to your next accomplishment...Now I can slide your book next to"Kafka on the Shore"...awaiting your next book..Sincerely,VermontCozy.I hope you find your way to Manchester Center,Vt  Northshire Bookstore..for a reading and book signing..We are not casual readers,we are genuinely obsessed:smileywink:
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer