Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman

A Video from Erick's Editor, Kerri Kolen

[ Edited ]

Hi Gang,

Here's a video -- just for you! -- from Erick's editor, Kerri Kolen in which she reflects on the first time she read Of Bees and Mist.

Many, many thanks, to Kerri for putting this video together and for all her hard work on Erick's amazing debut.

Kerri will be with us the week of June 8th for even more reflections!

Message Edited by PaulH on 05-22-2009 10:03 AM
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: A Video from Erick's Editor, Kerri Kolen

[ Edited ]

Great video, Kerri! Thanks for posting it, Paul.  :smileywink:

PaulH wrote:

Hi Gang,

Here's a video -- just for you! -- from Erick's editor, Kerri Kolen in which she reflects on the first time she read Of Bees and Mist.

Many, many thanks, to Kerri for putting this video together and for all her hard work on Erick's amazing debut.

Kerri will be with us the week of June 8th for even more reflections!

Message Edited by PaulH on 05-22-2009 10:04 AM
DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
gringorn
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Paul,

For some reason I can't get the video to play.  When i click on "of bees and mist" it brings me to the write up about the book.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Mary

Message Edited by PaulH on 05-22-2009 10:05 AM
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Can you see the actual still video in the post? There's a play button there.

gringorn wrote:

Hi Paul,

For some reason I can't get the video to play.  When i click on "of bees and mist" it brings me to the write up about the book.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Mary

Message Edited by PaulH on 05-22-2009 10:05 AM
Inspired Correspondent
Read-n-Rider
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Great video!  Thanks, Paul; now I'm looking forward to "chatting" with Kerri as well as with Erick.

Joan

Message Edited by PaulH on 05-22-2009 10:06 AM
Correspondent
joyfull
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Thank you for the video. I often wonder how decisions are made in terms of whether or not to publish a book. Sounds like the book went straight to Kerri's heart.
Message Edited by PaulH on 05-22-2009 10:06 AM

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Margot
My blog: JoyfullyRetired.com
Distinguished Correspondent
ClaudiaLuce
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

WOW!! What a wonderful testament to a book and author. It is amazing to realize what is necessary to get a book published.  But, just a few pages in I already realize that Simon & Schuster and Kerri Kolen have made an excellent decision.  This is an appealing read - I think for anyone and everyone!

Claudia

Message Edited by PaulH on 05-22-2009 10:07 AM
"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." -
-- Sir Richard Steele
Inspired Correspondent
bookloverjb85
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
WOW!!  The testiment from Kerri Kolen about the book makes me even more eager to read it.  This book seems like it is going to be a great read and I am excited to get started with the discussion.
Message Edited by PaulH on 05-22-2009 10:07 AM
--Jen--

"A house without books is like a room without windows."--Horace Mann
Frequent Contributor
love2readSZ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Thank you for including the video.  I have been waiting to start reading the book so that I am fresh for the first discussions but now I am having second thoughts.  Between having the posting from Erick and this video, it is hard to not get excited about the book and the discussions.
Message Edited by PaulH on 05-22-2009 10:08 AM
Inspired Contributor
dclement04
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Great video...I can't wait until the discussion starts I already have tons a of questions!
Message Edited by PaulH on 05-22-2009 10:09 AM
Contributor
ScribeMK
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

DITTO!! To that!!

ScribeMK

Scribe
Contributor
scuddednimbus
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Thanks Paul for posting this video. I can't wait for my copy of the book to arrive!
Frequent Contributor
MomforrestMO
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Just watched the video. It was a nice intro because my copy of the book just arrived 5 minutes ago.  Thanks Barnes and Noble!! Bye for now -- off to start reading!

Message Edited by PaulH on 05-22-2009 10:10 AM
MomforrestMO
Inspired Contributor
januttall
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Oh Kerri, your video gave me goosebumps!  Thank you for sharing not only your thoughts, but also this incredible story with FL readers!

Julie

Message Edited by PaulH on 05-22-2009 10:11 AM
Contributor
daisy03
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

What a wonderful introduction to this book!  Can't wait for the book to arrive and get the discussion going. :smileyhappy:

Jody

Message Edited by PaulH on 05-22-2009 10:11 AM
Distinguished Wordsmith
Zeal
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks for posting the video!  It is nice to see the "roots" of the book from the author and editor!  I received my copy on Friday and am loving it already.  So much extra insight and information from the people behind the scenes makes this experience even more exciting, worthwhile, and memorable.  Thank you to all who make this possible!

Aimee

Message Edited by PaulH on 05-22-2009 10:12 AM
"I learned to dream through reading, learned to create dreams through writing, and learned to develop dreamers through teaching. I shall always be a dreamer."
Sharon Draper
Inspired Contributor
gmfuhlman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Kerri Kolen,

Thank you for the great video to introduce Erick to us.  As I said before I just got the book today and I can't wait to get start.  Now with your introduction and Erick I will get started soon.  Lot of :smileyhappy: to you all.  

Message Edited by PaulH on 05-22-2009 10:12 AM
CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

Thank you Kerri. What a great way to introduce this latest First Look book. I recently received my copy and I am finding it a deightful read. Thanks B & N.
CAG
Frequent Contributor
hookedonbooks09
0 Kudos

Hi Kerri,

Thanks for the video.  Adds a nice layer to our discussion, as well as giving us a face to put to you, when you join us!

I think your description of your initial encounter with the book is similar to mine.  Not knowing what to expect, I entered the world Erick had created to find a lovely (sometimes!) fairytale world that drifted in and out of the real world.  Like you, I was hooked!

Looking forward to opening up what is surely going to be a facinating discussion with you and with Erick when he joins us.

Barb

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor
luvmykiddos
0 Kudos

Thanks for the little bit of background. It's always nice to have!