Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman

About Of Bees and Mist and Erick Setiawan

Early reads have drawn comparisons to Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell and rightfully so! Setiawan's debut is magical in every sense of the word and it is the absolute perfect book to lead us (and the conversation!) into the ethereal world of summer.

Of Bees and Mist is the tale of Meridia-raised in a sepulchral house where ghosts dwell in mirrors, she spends her childhood feeling neglected and invisible. Every evening her father vanishes inside a blue mist without so much as an explanation, and her mother spends her days venomously beheading cauliflowers in the kitchen. At sixteen, desperate to escape, Meridia marries a tenderhearted young man and moves into his seemingly warm and charming family home. Little does she suspect that his parents are harboring secrets of their own. There is a grave hidden in the garden. There are two sisters groomed from birth to despise each other. And there is Eva, the formidable matriarch whose grievances swarm the air like an army of bees. In this haunting story, Setiawan takes Meridia on a tumultuous ride of hope and heartbreak as she struggles to keep her young family together and discovers long-kept secrets about her own past as well as the shocking truths about her husband's family.

Readers of magical-realist fiction will instantly be captivated by this richly evocative fairy tale. Of Bees and Mist takes place in a nameless town during a timeless era, where spirits and spells, witchcraft and demons, ghosts and clairvoyance-both real and imagined-are an everyday reality. Setiawan skillfully blends the real and the fantastical as he follows our heroine over a thirty year time span in which her love, courage, and sanity is tested to the limits.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: About Of Bees and Mist and Erick Setiawan

This book looks like it's right up my alley. I can't wait for the fun to begin!
Inspired Contributor
kren250
0 Kudos

Jonathan Strange and Mr.Norrell is one of my all-time favorite books, so, needless to say, I am SO excited about this one:-).
Inspired Correspondent
libralady

I don't think I would have chosen this book on my own.  That is why I love First Look so much.  Again, I would have missed out on what looks like a very interesting read!  Can't wait!

"Sow today what you want to reap tomorrow"
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Fascinated I wish I had it now..for all the ills in the world,this will be one book I will become very immersed in..I have guite a collection of Asian Writers..I am usually drawn into  their wonderful stories,Thank you BN  Vtc
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Correspondent
mv5ocean
0 Kudos

Wow! I'm sure excited about this selection and just ordered Jonathan Strange & Mr Norell from BN so that I might try to get it in before the discussion starts on the new First Look!  Look forward to participating and hope this is even "half" as delicious as the last read......

Discussion of this First Look will begin 6/1, just 1 1/2 weeks after I have moved into my nice little cottage I just purchased that has the "perfect" front porch for summer reading!!! Yippee!!!

Can't wait to start reading everyone's thoughts and ideas!!!

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

I really liked Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.

So I am looking forward to this selection.

Inspired Contributor
no4daughter
0 Kudos

This book sounds very good.  I can't wait for the discussion to begin.  Thanks First Look for another great choice.
Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

I love this kind of book. It looks like folk, fairy tales, fables, fantastical-realism. I'm sure everyone will get into this delightful and magical discussion profoundly. The title is specially lyrical. What did you think of it?
Wordsmith
ponie

mv5ocean wrote:

Wow! I'm sure excited about this selection and just ordered Jonathan Strange & Mr Norell from BN so that I might try to get it in before the discussion starts on the new First Look!  Look forward to participating and hope this is even "half" as delicious as the last read......

Discussion of this First Look will begin 6/1, just 1 1/2 weeks after I have moved into my nice little cottage I just purchased that has the "perfect" front porch for summer reading!!! Yippee!!!

Can't wait to start reading everyone's thoughts and ideas!!!

Kudos to you for being able to order a book and wait!!!  As I was looking online at my local library for JS&MN, I saw it was an audiobook and immediately downloaded it.  WhoopWhoop! I will start it today!!  See if that is an option for you...or anyone of you who might want to read it while we do the waiting for little brown truck dance!! 

Your cottage porch sounds wonderful.

ponie
Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

This book sounds awesome! I can't wait! I am also going to check the library for Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell.
Contributor
crimekitty763
0 Kudos

This is a new genre for me to read.  It sounds fascinating and I have discovered so many new books and authors through First Look.  I sometimes feel as though I am in a rut with my reading since I do graitate toward the genres I am most familar with.  Hopefully this book will be as well written as your last choice.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain.
Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
0 Kudos

I completely agree - I loved the reading adventure that JS proved to be!  One of the most memorable books I've ever read.

When I first saw the sign-up page with very little about the book, I thought it would be along the lines of Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (another fabulous book).

But reading this, I see they are completely different.  The comparison to JS is just so exciting.  I really do hope I get to participate in this FL.

Cheers,

Amanda

kren250 wrote:
Jonathan Strange and Mr.Norrell is one of my all-time favorite books, so, needless to say, I am SO excited about this one:-).

Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff
0 Kudos

Hi All,

This book sounds like something I can sink my teeth into.  (lol)  I really enjoy reading suspenseful books and Of Bees and Mist, certainly appears to have all of that.  

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Correspondent
joyfull
0 Kudos

Great idea Ponie about checking the library for downloads. I checked and they have it! Thanks for the tip.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Margot
My blog: JoyfullyRetired.com
Distinguished Correspondent
PiperMurphy
0 Kudos

I've had Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell since it was first published, but never got around to reading it. I dug it out this afternoon. This seems like the perfect time to read it. And, it will keep me occupied until Bees and Mist arrives.
"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I thought the same thing, Amanda. I also loved Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. This book looks great!

Amanda-Louise wrote:

I completely agree - I loved the reading adventure that JS proved to be!  One of the most memorable books I've ever read.

When I first saw the sign-up page with very little about the book, I thought it would be along the lines of Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (another fabulous book).

But reading this, I see they are completely different.  The comparison to JS is just so exciting.  I really do hope I get to participate in this FL.

Cheers,

Amanda

kren250 wrote:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Correspondent
nlsamson
0 Kudos

There may be a few of us jealous of your little cottage, so you might have some company!  :smileyvery-happy:
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
Correspondent
DiniB
0 Kudos

What great timing!  I just had the JS paperback delivered last week.  Hmmm...can I get through 1000 pgs before June 1st?  Better get started.

Goodreads ID: dinib
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

I agree, Piper. I got a copy of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell from the library today. It does seem like the perfect time for a long book. :smileyhappy:

PiperMurphy wrote:
I've had Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell since it was first published, but never got around to reading it. I dug it out this afternoon. This seems like the perfect time to read it. And, it will keep me occupied until Bees and Mist arrives.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com