Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Bees and Mist

What are you final thoughts on the nature of the various kinds of magic that take hold of the members of these families?

Do you think you assign yourself or your friends or family members an appropriate magical attribute?

Distinguished Correspondent
Shadowwolf36

Re: Bees and Mist

I am afraid that I can't consider it magical but I do find myself having alot more bees than any honey and just reading this book makes me want to change my ways and leave the bees inside :smileyhappy:
Inspired Correspondent
Immortal-Spirit
0 Kudos

I would have to say I have no idea how to describe the bees or the mist!  :smileyvery-happy:
Scribe
DSaff

[ Edited ]

I think the characters enable the bees and mist to take control of their lives. Eva certainly knows what she is doing to others and continues the behavior to her demise. But, the others wouldn't be bothered by her harping if they put their foot down. Elias could have been man enough to nip this behavior in the bud years before Meridia comes into their lives, but somehow he makes excuses for it and then, poof!, it is too late. To me, the bees are destructive words and actions.

The mist has a two-fold meaning to me. It is cover for covert movements and an unbreakable wall between people. The colors change to reflect what is happening, but no one seems able to break through to heal the marriage. By the time we meet them, Gabriel is so far removed from Ravenna that nothing will bring him back, not even dying. Ravenna waited way too long to try to fight for her marriage, and in the end, I think it killed her. Once the truth about the affair is out in the open and Gabriel is dying, the mist seems to disappear. I think it is possible that the mist becomes the ice/frost that surrounds him making it impossible to save him. Maybe his heart was so hard, so frozen, that no amount of love could "thaw" him.

Reading this book has made me think about my words/actions more carefully. Have I been harping? Have I let walls build?  hmmmmm, time to make sure the bees and mist haven't invaded my words and actions! <grin>

Message Edited by DSaff on 06-22-2009 12:59 PM
DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

LOL! :smileywink:

Immortal-Spirit wrote:
I would have to say I have no idea how to describe the bees or the mist! :smileyvery-happy:

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB

I do not believe that there was any kind of magic that took hold of anyone in this story.

That being said,

the bees symbolize 

excessive nagging on one's part to get what one wants

constant negative criticsm  to make someone feel less about themself, decreasing one's self-esteem

the mists symbolize

blinders to shield someone from hurt- may manifest itself as being cold and aloof, non-confrontational personality (pretending something is not happening)

blinders that allow one to commit a hurtful act

Do I have people in my family that I can attribute the bees to? Yes. 

Am I guilty of the bees myself? I try not to be; however, whether or not I am successful can only be determined by someone else's perception of me.

Do I have people in my family that I can attribute the mists to? Yes. 

Am I guilty of the bees myself? Yes. Based on past experiences, I rarely open myself up to others. Fortunately, my husband and children are amongst those rare individuals.

CathyB

Frequent Contributor
booksJT
0 Kudos

I think that the bees and mists are magical for the characters in the novel.  The bees represent Eva when she is on the war path. It is very hard for anyone to get around them  when Eva's is working her bees.  The mists conceal the true feelings that Ravenna has for her husband Gabriel. The mists change colors to symbloize a protective wall against outside influences.

If the other family members would standup to Eva they would never have to worry about the bees. Eva knows when to back down if she feels she can't win.

I never thought about it. After reading this book I will think about it.

Frequent Contributor
Sassy398
0 Kudos

The bees are obviously are connected to Eva and her evil ways, as for the mist

it was a way for gabreil to escape from his wife.

as for assign magical attributes for any of my friends or familes, I can't honsetly say I could.

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Sassy398 wrote:

The bees are obviously are connected to Eva and her evil ways, as for the mist

it was a way for gabreil to escape from his wife.

as for assign magical attributes for any of my friends or familes, I can't honsetly say I could.

I think I have said this before but for me, the mists are barriers made by the characters inthis scene. Gabriel, stubborn,hardheaded, failed to understand the turmoils that Ravenna had gone through having Meridia. The mists got in the way and made a path to Pilar's door.The mists hid the path to understanding, connecting again and forgiving. They had to leave their situation to find themselves again. The colors to me represented the moods of the characters in this house. Ravenna was hurt and suffered a deep depression by the treatment of Gabriel of her when all this come upon her. Silence, cold  that froze after awhile.

emmagrace

I could not have said it better myself!!

DStaff wrote:

I think the characters enable the bees and mist to take control of their lives. Eva certainly knows what she is doing to others and continues the behavior to her demise. But, the others wouldn't be bothered by her harping if they put their foot down. Elias could have been man enough to nip this behavior in the bud years before Meridia comes into their lives, but somehow he makes excuses for it and then, poof!, it is too late. To me, the bees are destructive words and actions.

The mist has a two-fold meaning to me. It is cover for covert movements and an unbreakable wall between people. The colors change to reflect what is happening, but no one seems able to break through to heal the marriage. By the time we meet them, Gabriel is so far removed from Ravenna that nothing will bring him back, not even dying. Ravenna waited way too long to try to fight for her marriage, and in the end, I think it killed her. Once the truth about the affair is out in the open and Gabriel is dying, the mist seems to disappear. I think it is possible that the mist becomes the ice/frost that surrounds him making it impossible to save him. Maybe his heart was so hard, so frozen, that no amount of love could "thaw" him.

Reading this book has made me think about my words/actions more carefully. Have I been harping? Have I let walls build?  hmmmmm, time to make sure the bees and mist haven't invaded my words and actions! <grin>

emmagrace
0 Kudos

:womanvery-happy: LOL!!

Immortal-Spirit wrote:

I would have to say I have no idea how to describe the bees or the mist!  :smileyvery-happy:

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:
** snip **

Message Edited by DSaff on 06-22-2009 12:59 PM

I agree with your entire post, but this statement is exactly how I feel.  

Correspondent
nicole21WA

CathyB wrote:

I do not believe that there was any kind of magic that took hold of anyone in this story.

I thought I was the only one!  I just wasn't seeing any of it as magic. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff

rkubie wrote:

What are you final thoughts on the nature of the various kinds of magic that take hold of the members of these families?

Do you think you assign yourself or your friends or family members an appropriate magical attribute?

Good Day All,

Let's see final thoughts on the magic that holds these family members.  For one thing I think that the Mirror and stairway, in Meridia's interests are there as support mechanisms.  Each in its' own way protect or guide her throughout her life.  For instance, Hannah, who I believe is a Guardian Angel/Alter Ego for Meridia, shows up when she, Meridia, most needs here.  Otherwise, Meridia is left on her own and to use her own wits and strengths to get her through the tough times.  

The Mists are an interesting magical element of their own.  They hide what doesn't want to be seen and they also torment to protect what is beyond.  The tormenting mist is the Ivory Mist, while Yellow and Blue Mists are the hiding/transporting elements of the magic.  We see throughout the novel that the mists come and go as they please.  One thing I did note however, was that they also showed up where either Gabriel or Daniel were concerned and only when dealing with the affairs they each were having.  

The Bees.  Eva's controlling nature and running of the mouth, so to speak in her attempts to badger and control Elias, and Meridia, during childbirth.  I again found it interesting that the only one who actually saw the Bees was Meridia.  Does that mean that she was the only one to confront Eva and the Bees ?

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Inspired Contributor
LISA-BRYAN
0 Kudos

The bees are the nagging, cruel words/actions that Eva directs to everyone in her path.

While the mists represent the guilty that Gabriel carries with him after he realizes his marriage is over, and he wants his wife and his daughter back -- but his pride (also reperesented by a mist) stands in the way preventing him from taking back his former life.

Frequent Contributor
hoot
0 Kudos

At first I wasn't sure what to think of the Bees and the Mist. After sleeping on it, it seems to me as though they are merely representations of everything that is invisible between people. When there is strife in a household it is an energy that can be felt by all who enter. The bees and the mist are representations of the energy and invisible emotions between people. I love it.
www.bellasnovella.com
Wordsmith
marciliogq
0 Kudos

According to Cirlot's Dictionary of Symbols - Page 212

Mist is symbolic of things indeterminate, or the fusing together of the Elements of air and water, and the inevitable obscuring of the outlines of each aspect and each particular phase of the evolutive process. The ‘mist of fire’ is that stage of cosmic life which follows upon the state of chaos and corresponds to the three Elements which existed prior to the solid Element—earth.

Wordsmith
marciliogq

Hope my late contribution about Bees and Mist can get the discussion wider. As the book works on a symbolical way and I am a particular admirer of this kind of narrative, I think Cirlot's Dictionary of Symbols can give us a very interesting meaning of both of the magical elements:

Page 23- 24 - Bee   In Egyptian hieroglyphic language, the sign of the bee was a determinative in royal nomenclature, partly by analogy with the monarchic organization of these insects, but more especially because of the ideas of industry, creative activity and wealth which are associated with the production of honey. In the parable of Samson (Judges xiv, 8) the bee appears in this same sense. In Greece it was emblematic of work and obedience. According to a Delphic tradition, the second of the temples built in Delphi had been erected by bees. In Orphic teaching, souls were symbolized by bees, not only because of the association with honey but also because they migrate from the hive in swarms, since it was held that souls ‘swarm’ from the divine unity in a similar manner. In Christian symbolism, and particularly during the Romanesque period, bees were symbols of diligence and eloquence. In the Indo-Aryan and Moslem traditions they have the same purely spiritual significance as in Orphic teaching.

Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

Great observations!
PiperMurphy
0 Kudos

marciliogq wrote:

Hope my late contribution about Bees and Mist can get the discussion wider. As the book works on a symbolical way and I am a particular admirer of this kind of narrative, I think Cirlot's Dictionary of Symbols can give us a very interesting meaning of both of the magical elements:

Page 23- 24 - Bee   In Egyptian hieroglyphic language, the sign of the bee was a determinative in royal nomenclature, partly by analogy with the monarchic organization of these insects, but more especially because of the ideas of industry, creative activity and wealth which are associated with the production of honey. In the parable of Samson (Judges xiv, 8) the bee appears in this same sense. In Greece it was emblematic of work and obedience. According to a Delphic tradition, the second of the temples built in Delphi had been erected by bees. In Orphic teaching, souls were symbolized by bees, not only because of the association with honey but also because they migrate from the hive in swarms, since it was held that souls ‘swarm’ from the divine unity in a similar manner. In Christian symbolism, and particularly during the Romanesque period, bees were symbols of diligence and eloquence. In the Indo-Aryan and Moslem traditions they have the same purely spiritual significance as in Orphic teaching.

Marciliogq, It is a pleasure to hear from you. All through the book I visualized Eva as a walking beehive. She fits the definition that you have given us, but oddly, she has found the evil side of the definition. Her home seemed to be a monarchic organization - she was the queen; her family obeyed her. And, her creative activity was toward creating wealth - to satisfy her own greed. Her buzzing may have been eloquent had we known what she was saying. She certainly got her point across.

Bees are fascinating creatures. Aerodynamically they shouldn't be able to fly, but they can. They provide us with sweetness from honey, but they also sting. Their stings can be deadly if you are allergic to them. That seems to describe Eva perfectly.

"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~