Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Casting Call!

[ Edited ]

Okay, this is a fun thread! In the film "Of Bees and Mist" that we're setting out to cast, who plays Meridia, Eva, Malin, Daniel...?

And for this novel, we might actually have to cast the location and the houses, too, since they are practically characters!

Do you think you could chose the novel's city?

Message Edited by rkubie on 06-22-2009 02:14 PM
Distinguished Correspondent
Shadowwolf36
0 Kudos

Re: Casting Call!

I envisioned Shirley MacLaine for Eva and Al Pacino for Gabriel but hadn't thought of anyone else for the others...
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke

[ Edited ]

My setting would be Spain and my actors and actresses would be:

Penélope Cruz

Meridia (Penelope Cruz)

Ravenna (Selma Hayek) 

Gabriel (Sergi Lopez) 

Eva (Maribel Verdu) 

Elias (Alfred Molina) 

Daniel (Antonio Bandaras)

Eva Mendes

Malin (Eva Mendes)

Paz Vega

Permony (Paz Vega)

Message Edited by eadieburke on 06-22-2009 11:11 AM
Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Frequent Contributor
booksJT
0 Kudos

Cast members that might be good:

Angelina Jolie for Meridia

Leonardo Dicaprio for  David

Vincent D'onofrio  for Elias

Patrick Swatze for  Gabriel

Jennifer Love Hewitt  for Malin 

Salma Hyack for Ravenna

Shirley McClaine for Eva 

I think England, Greece or Canada.

Scribe
DSaff

[ Edited ]

Here are my ideas for our casting call. It is tough!

houses: For Ravenna and Gabriel's home, I picture the house used in Wuthering Heights. For the house belonging to Elias and Eva, maybe something on the lines of, but smaller than the Bates Motel. <grin> Actually, that house should appear large from the outside, but have close, small rooms and hallways.

Cast:

Meridia - Kirsten Dunst

Daniel - Ryan Gossling

Noah - Joseph Castanon

Ravenna - Sandra Bullock

Gabriel - Nicholas Cage

Eva - Demi Moore

Elias - George Clooney

Malin - Natalie Portman

Jonathan -Shia Labeouf

Permony - Dakota Fanning

Ahab - Jack Nicholson

Samuel - Tom Hanks

Hannah - Anne Hathaway

Sylva - Scarlett Johansson

Patina - Meryl Streep

Pilar - Angelina Jolie

Message Edited by DSaff on 06-22-2009 11:06 AM
DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
Linda10

Too funny!  I also saw Shirley MacLaine playing the role of Eva, or even Meryl Streep!  But I have to admit I'm at a loss as to who the rest of the actors and actresses would be.

And I may be way, way too early to be saying this.  But I couldn't help thinking about this as I was on my morning walk.  How about a prequel to "Of Bees and Mist"?  Another book/movie devoted to explaining just why it is that Eva is so mean and nasty?  You know, kind of like what Gregory Maguire did with "Wicked," the "before" story of The Wicked Witch of the West!

Of course, we would want Erick to write that book, as well!

Inspired Correspondent
Immortal-Spirit
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:

Okay, this is a fun thread! In the film "Of Bees and Mist" that we're setting out to cast, who plays Meridia,Eva, Malin, Daniel...?

And for this novel, we might actually have to cast the location and the houses, too, since they are practically characters, too!

I would have to go with Kathy Bates for Eva.  I just loved her in Misery and think she'd be perfect.  Meridia is hard.  There would have to be a couple of her.  Dakota Fanning comes to mind as a younger Meridia.  (I'm not sure how old she is...)  Malin?  There is someone in my head and I can't think of her name...it's driving me crazy!  I do know who could play Ravenna--Demi Moore.  I know she's not on the list but... :smileysurprised: I can play, can't I? 

I'll think of more later.  

Scribe
vivico1

Yeah, Kathy Bates is good. I am wondering tho, do we maybe need someone maybe younger than Bates, Streep or, oh can't think of the other one mentioned, because if Daniel and Meridia were in their teens when they met, it would be better maybe to have younger (not too young tho) actresses play Eva and Meridia, so you could age them as the movie goes on. Also, I think two new kids should get a shot at playing Malin and Permony as they were when they were younger, rather than a well known child actress, get some new young faces in there and then more well known for them as married women.

Immortal-Spirit wrote:

rkubie wrote:

Okay, this is a fun thread! In the film "Of Bees and Mist" that we're setting out to cast, who plays Meridia,Eva, Malin, Daniel...?

And for this novel, we might actually have to cast the location and the houses, too, since they are practically characters, too!

I would have to go with Kathy Bates for Eva. I just loved her in Misery and think she'd be perfect. Meridia is hard. There would have to be a couple of her. Dakota Fanning comes to mind as a younger Meridia. (I'm not sure how old she is...) Malin? There is someone in my head and I can't think of her name...it's driving me crazy! I do know who could play Ravenna--Demi Moore. I know she's not on the list but... :smileysurprised: I can play, can't I?

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Immortal-Spirit
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Yeah, Kathy Bates is good. I am wondering tho, do we maybe need someone maybe younger than Bates, Streep or, oh can't think of the other one mentioned, because if Daniel and Meridia were in their teens when they met, it would be better maybe to have younger (not too young tho) actresses play Eva and Meridia, so you could age them as the movie goes on. Also, I think two new kids should get a shot at playing Malin and Permony as they were when they were younger, rather than a well known child actress, get some new young faces in there and then more well known for them as married women.

Immortal-Spirit wrote:

rkubie wrote:

I would have to go with Kathy Bates for Eva. I just loved her in Misery and think she'd be perfect. Meridia is hard. There would have to be a couple of her. Dakota Fanning comes to mind as a younger Meridia. (I'm not sure how old she is...) Malin? There is someone in my head and I can't think of her name...it's driving me crazy! I do know who could play Ravenna--Demi Moore. I know she's not on the list but... :smileysurprised: I can play, can't I?

Yes, you are definitely right about that.  Maybe the whole cast could be fresh faces.  ?  

Inspired Correspondent
Immortal-Spirit
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

Penélope Cruz

Meridia (Penelope Cruz)

Ravenna (Selma Hayek) 

Gabriel (Sergi Lopez) 

Eva (Maribel Verdu) 

Elias (Alfred Molina) 

Daniel (Antonio Bandaras)

Eva Mendes

Malin (Eva Mendes)

Paz Vega

Permony (Paz Vega)

Message Edited by eadieburke on 06-22-2009 11:11 AM

Although I like Alfred Molina as an actor (one of my favorites), I don't think he would be a good EliasElias comes across as self-efacing. I KNOW I got that word wrong. :smileysurprisedAlfred Molina come across as brooding.  :smileywink:

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

That's not a bad idea either. And either make them all from one Ethnic background or just a Heinz 57 like I am LOL, where you really can't tell what background they are from, just pretty generic, to fit the idea of the book, that they could be anyone, anytime. If you were really going to cast this, and as in most movies, only certain players are really well known high dollar actors (for one thing it would be too expensive to pay the salaries to make every part in this one of a A list actor), then who do you see as the ones having the big drawning actors? And who maybe the B budget actors, some you recognize by face or from tv, but don't remember their names, and then who would you let be totally new faces? I would like to see the young ones be new faces. And maybe Hannah be someone new or someone we really know well who makes pretty much a cameo in and out of this. How about the others tho? Because there are few movies where everyone is a "someone" lol.

Immortal-Spirit wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Immortal-Spirit wrote:

rkubie wrote:

Yes, you are definitely right about that. Maybe the whole cast could be fresh faces. ?

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1

Re: Casting Call!/ City

OH, and as for a city, I wouldn't put this in any well known city. I don't think I would put it in just any modern day city either. I think I would put it in a village or town, not a small one but with the feel to it that maybe seems ageless so you don't know when it is, like some of the villages or towns in Europe where the streets are still cobblestone and the houses are stone or brick too. They are modern in technology but you don't see it from the outside because people have lived in these towns or villages for ages. Know what I mean? There are some that are actually used for modern action films or even medieval times because of their timeless nature.
Vivian
chris227
0 Kudos

I was thinking Meryl Streep for Ravenna!  Funny how this book with no definitive place or time has made us all see similiar actors/actresses but in very different roles!

Linda10 wrote:

Too funny!  I also saw Shirley MacLaine playing the role of Eva, or even Meryl Streep!  But I have to admit I'm at a loss as to who the rest of the actors and actresses would be.

And I may be way, way too early to be saying this.  But I couldn't help thinking about this as I was on my morning walk.  How about a prequel to "Of Bees and Mist"?  Another book/movie devoted to explaining just why it is that Eva is so mean and nasty?  You know, kind of like what Gregory Maguire did with "Wicked," the "before" story of The Wicked Witch of the West!

Of course, we would want Erick to write that book, as well!

PiperMurphy

Here are my choices.  I seem to have kind of a British theme going here. I envision an exotic, but quaint, setting with forests of trees, lush foliage, and lots of flowers.

Meridia - Natalie Portman

Daniel - James McEvoy

Gabriel - Ralph Fiennes

Ravenna - Helena Bonham Carter

Malin - Keira Knightley

Permony - Scarlett Johanssen

Eva - Angelica Huston

Elias - Dustin Hoffman

Patima - Vanessa Redgrave

Noah - Zach Mills

Ahab - Brendan Gleeson

Samuel - Sean Connery

"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
JerseyAngel
0 Kudos

I have to do some definate thinking on this one. This should be a great thread because with lack of place or time we will certainly all have very different ideas!

I do love the idea of Cate Blanchett in the cast, perhaps as Ravenna.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Piper, I love your choices of Angelica Huston and Dustin Hoffman. They would be great as Eva and Elias.  :smileywink:

PiperMurphy wrote:

Here are my choices.  I seem to have kind of a British theme going here. I envision an exotic, but quaint, setting with forests of trees, lush foliage, and lots of flowers.

Daniel - James McEvoy

Gabriel - Ralph Fiennes

Malin - Keira Knightley

Eva - Angelica Huston

Elias - Dustin Hoffman

Noah - Zach Mills

Ahab - Brendan Gleeson

Samuel - Sean Connery

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke

I kind of like this picture of Alfred Molina. I picture this is how he would look after listening and being beat up by Eva's bees!

Immortal-Spirit wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Elias (Alfred Molina) 

Although I like Alfred Molina as an actor (one of my favorites), I don't think he would be a good EliasElias comes across as self-efacing. I KNOW I got that word wrong. :smileysurprisedAlfred Molina come across as brooding.  :smileywink:

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
JerseyAngel
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

PiperMurphy wrote:

Daniel - James McEvoy

Gabriel - Ralph Fiennes

Malin - Keira Knightley

Eva - Angelica Huston

Elias - Dustin Hoffman

Noah - Zach Mills

Ahab - Brendan Gleeson

Samuel - Sean Connery

oooh those are interesting choices! Helena Bonham Carter made me think of Tim Burton & suddenly I couldn't stop thinking of what the movie would be like if he directed it!
Message Edited by JerseyAngel on 06-22-2009 04:58 PM
PiperMurphy
0 Kudos

JerseyAngel wrote:

PiperMurphy wrote:

Daniel - James McEvoy

Gabriel - Ralph Fiennes

Malin - Keira Knightley

Eva - Angelica Huston

Elias - Dustin Hoffman

Noah - Zach Mills

Ahab - Brendan Gleeson

Samuel - Sean Connery

oooh those are interesting choices! Helena Bonham Carter made me think of Tim Burton & suddenly I couldn't stop thinking of what the movie would be like if he directed it!
Message Edited by JerseyAngel on 06-22-2009 04:58 PM

Wow, no kidding! I'm envisioning something kind of gothic like Sweeney Todd. The director who did Pan's Labyrinth would be good too.
"When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
~Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus~
Contributor
AshALee
0 Kudos

Immortal-Spirit wrote:

rkubie wrote:

I would have to go with Kathy Bates for Eva.  I just loved her in Misery and think she'd be perfect.  Meridia is hard.  There would have to be a couple of her.  Dakota Fanning comes to mind as a younger Meridia.  (I'm not sure how old she is...)  Malin?  There is someone in my head and I can't think of her name...it's driving me crazy!  I do know who could play Ravenna--Demi Moore.  I know she's not on the list but... :smileysurprised: I can play, can't I? 

I think Kathy Bates would be perfect as Eva too!

I think that Elle Fanning would be perfect as the younger Meridia, and then Emma Watson as she gets older.  I think Emma Roberts would be perfect as younger invisible friend. 

I think someone quirky like Bernadette Peters would be perfect as Ravenna.   And someone aristocratic and regal as Gabriel.  Perhaps  Warren Beatty.

And purely for my viewing pleasure, I would like Chris Pine or Chris Evans to be Daniel.

Mischa Barton should be Daniel's sister, the older one. 

www.bellasnovella.com