0 Kudos

Re: Casting Call!

What a great cast!! Do you work in films? :smileyhappy:
Lobugs
Distinguished Correspondent
emmagrace
0 Kudos

I will have to think on this one a bit. I do have an idea for Eva. I watched a movie recently that was based on a true story and the leading female was so cruel and manipulative.  I thought she would be perfect to play Eva. She is not a well known actress. Her name is Blanche Baker and she did a wonderful job playing such a cruel person!
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

I picture the location as an old street of cobblestones like in the small towns of Mexico, Spain, or Italy. 
Inspired Correspondent
mv5ocean
0 Kudos

PiperMurphy wrote:

JerseyAngel wrote:

PiperMurphy wrote:

Here are my choices.  I seem to have kind of a British theme going here. I envision an exotic, but quaint, setting with forests of trees, lush foliage, and lots of flowers.

Meridia - Natalie Portman

Daniel - James McEvoy

Gabriel - Ralph Fiennes

Ravenna - Helena Bonham Carter

Malin - Keira Knightley

Permony - Scarlett Johanssen

Eva - Angelica Huston

Elias - Dustin Hoffman

Patima - Vanessa Redgrave

Noah - Zach Mills

Ahab - Brendan Gleeson

Samuel - Sean Connery

oooh those are interesting choices! Helena Bonham Carter made me think of Tim Burton & suddenly I couldn't stop thinking of what the movie would be like if he directed it!
Message Edited by JerseyAngel on 06-22-2009 04:58 PM

Wow, no kidding! I'm envisioning something kind of gothic like Sweeney Todd. The director who did Pan's Labyrinth would be good too.

My thoughts exactly! About halfway through the book I thought more of a director to bring up during the casting call segment...............Tim Burton without question!

Lil_Irish_Lass
0 Kudos

I think Christina Ricci would make a great Malin... she has the range to easily develop from a self centered, spoiled young woman, to devastated wife, and finally into a strong woman.

I think the problem is that a lot of the actors suggested are too old for the main characters(though would be perfect for playing older versions of them)... keep in mind Meridia was what, just turning 30 by the end of the novel? And for the movement and flow of the story to come across you need that young naivety which cannot happen with having older actors play characters much younger than their age.

Meridia - I feel like Meridia would have to be a new actress which would allow for the sense I got of her truly being unknown and able to hide within the masses as if she didn't even exist until she came into her own. Perferably a foreign one where English is not her first language again deeping the feel of "this one isn't like everyone else".

Malin - Christina Ricci
Daniel - Daniel Radcliffe (but with an overhaul on his looks to keep him from looking like Harry Potter)
Ravenna - Idina Menzel
Gabriel - Christian Bale (though I also think Johnny Depp would be fabulous)
Eva - Angelica Houston
Elias - Rufus Sewell
Permony - Anne Hathaway
Ahab - Kenneth Branagh (think of him as Iago from Othello, not from his fluffier rolls, the man can play a demon brilliantly)

As for location I think you either need to go sparse surroundings like the Australian outback or shoot in an old European city (perhaps in Romania)... where the city itself oozes mysticism that will carry over into filming. Plus the locals would make great extras and many of them dress in the old style, living a life that's almost frozen in time and is at odds with modern day Western society.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No sensible man ever engages, unprepared, in a fencing match of words with a woman." - The Woman in White
Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

I agree - I think Kathy Bates would be great for Eva - she was the first one who came to my mind for her.

I also agree with the person who said that Al Pacino would be a good Gabriel, too.

I can see Cher as Ravenna.

Elias, hm.... Danny Aiello?

Maybe Keira Knightly for Meridia and Gerard Butler for Daniel... though he may be a little old for the part of the younger teenaged Daniel....

I am stuck on Malin and Permony.

Correspondent
bibanon1
0 Kudos

Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:
I think Christina Ricci would make a great Malin... she has the range to easily develop from a self centered, spoiled young woman, to devastated wife, and finally into a strong woman.

I think the problem is that a lot of the actors suggested are too old for the main characters(though would be perfect for playing older versions of them)... keep in mind Meridia was what, just turning 30 by the end of the novel? And for the movement and flow of the story to come across you need that young naivety which cannot happen with having older actors play characters much younger than their age.

Meridia - I feel like Meridia would have to be a new actress which would allow for the sense I got of her truly being unknown and able to hide within the masses as if she didn't even exist until she came into her own. Perferably a foreign one where English is not her first language again deeping the feel of "this one isn't like everyone else".

Malin - Christina Ricci
Daniel - Daniel Radcliffe (but with an overhaul on his looks to keep him from looking like Harry Potter)
Ravenna - Idina Menzel
Gabriel - Christian Bale (though I also think Johnny Depp would be fabulous)
Eva - Angelica Houston
Elias - Rufus Sewell
Permony - Anne Hathaway
Ahab - Kenneth Branagh (think of him as Iago from Othello, not from his fluffier rolls, the man can play a demon brilliantly)

As for location I think you either need to go sparse surroundings like the Australian outback or shoot in an old European city (perhaps in Romania)... where the city itself oozes mysticism that will carry over into filming. Plus the locals would make great extras and many of them dress in the old style, living a life that's almost frozen in time and is at odds with modern day Western society.

I love your casting!!! Kenneth Branagh is a truly inspired choice.  And I like the idea of Angelica Huston as Eva.  I had always envisioned Eva as Glenn Close.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blogging about books and life since 2003.
http://lifebycandlelight.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

Re: Casting Call!/ City

I agree! the setting should be non specific - anywhere- anytime.
Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

Great ideas! I especially like Helena Bonham Carter for Ravenna (hadn't thought of her before!) and Sean Connery for Samuel.
Inspired Contributor
LISA-BRYAN
0 Kudos

As far as a place -- I think the story would be ruined if it was set in a particular place or city... the movie should depict the story and not create a new story.

Yes -- I know some of these actors/actresses are no longer living but this would be my dream cast ---

Eva would have to be played by Kathy Bates --- if you don't understand this -- watch the movie "Misery"

Meridia would have to be played by Jodie Foster for the adult roles and a younger look-alike Jodie Foster actress for the child roles.  I watched Jodie Foster grow up on screen into a confident woman -- when she began acting she was a pretty weak character.  If not Jodie then Julia Roberts playing a character like she did in "Sleeping with the Enemy"

Daniel being so wishy washy and not much a man -- should be played by Stephen Root (he played Milton in "Office Space" -- he was the guy who owned the red stapler and it was taken away by the boss and then he was banished to the basement) or perhaps Tim Allen -- some of you might remember him in the movie "Joe Somebody"

Gabriel for abandoning his family and having an affair for years should be played by Michael Douglas (you might recall his role in "Fatal Attraction")

Elias for his wimpiness should be played by Alan Ruck (he was Ferris Bueller's wimpy friend in Ferris Bueller's Day Off)

Ravenna should be played by Meg Ryan ("When a Man Loves a Woman")

Malin should be played by Allison Arngrim (she played Nellie on the Little House on the Prairie)

Perimony should be played by Mara Hobel (she played Christina Crawford as a child in the movie "Mommie Dearest")

Pilar should be played Glenn Close (remember her role in "Fatal Attraction") -- Pilar becomes very upset when she is forbidden from seeing Gabriel in his last hours.

Patina should be played by Jessica Tandy (she was the frail woman in "Driving Miss Daisy")

Hannah should be played by a female actress perhaps a bit like the actor in "Drop Dead Fred" but of course a lot more helpful

Ahab should be played by Anthony Hopkins (he was so evil in Silence of the Lambs....)

Jonathan should be played by Don Galloway (he was the husband of Jobeth Williams character in "The Big Chill" -- he didn't really fit in and became quite distant from his wife.

rkubie wrote:

Okay, this is a fun thread! In the film "Of Bees and Mist" that we're setting out to cast, who plays Meridia, Eva, Malin, Daniel...?

And for this novel, we might actually have to cast the location and the houses, too, since they are practically characters!

Do you think you could chose the novel's city?

Message Edited by rkubie on 06-22-2009 02:14 PM

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

In the book, wasn't Eva a tall slender woman? I see her in my head that way with her nose up in the air most of the time and skinny arms flailing around a lot. I don't remember now how Elias was described but I see him as a kind of short, hefty man, a but slump shouldered, broody looking but one whose smile comes alive around Permony and then Noah. I am trying to think of actors with those looks who are not too young but not as old as the ones we have been talking about because they will have a harder time pulling off being the parents of two teenagers and then aging more. I see Malin looking a lot like her mom and Parmony a bit heavyset like her dad but very sweet looking too. Ever notice in some families, this is true, there will be one parent who looks one way and the other pretty opposite and the kids who also physically resemble one parent more than the other, will tend to hang with them more too.

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Seems some names are really type casting them into the mystical, because they have been there before, like Angelica Houston and Johnny Depp. If this movie is to be as unique as the book, should we maybe consider some actors who have not already been in mystical movies like Harry Potter and the movie about Witches and things? I am not fond (as you already know lol) of the mystical representing the emotions of these characters. I would be fine with it as background and as moods in general but I would love to see the characters act within that magical setting like Chow Yun Fat did in Crouching Tiger. The places were beautiful and magical and here the places , the houses could show the moods of the characters within, with the flowers and the marigolds and the mists. But in Crouching Tiger, they had to work within these boundaries and speak as people The magic they had, like the way the could nearly fly across tree tops as they battled, didn't take away from them as people with emotions and thoughts they shared. It really was an adult fantasy! It was not as big with the kids as with adults, because there was an story line there about people lol.

I would love to see this book done that way, as an adult fantasy, keeping the story of the relationships between the family members and not becoming another fantasy like the Pirate movies, the Potter Movies, the Witches movies where you had to have so much mystical things happening in it to keep the kids happy too, where bad guys are pretty one dimensional and good guys are too and it all has an air of just silly fun to it too, with some scary parts! I would like to see the human drama play out in this, it is there. This book would not interest young kids and maybe not even preteens much, because the magical in it represents the relationships and moods of 3 generations of families whose lives are a mess. Kids aren't interested in that, and if you show too much magical in a movie without the feelings behind them being brought out, as they can in books, its not going to translate out that way. It won't be this book, it will be a screen adaptation of a fairytale with those type caste actors playing an over the top story, so they make sure it is a box office summertime movie for the family. Then you lose the whole drama of the entire book.

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
JerseyAngel
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Seems some names are really type casting them into the mystical, because they have been there before, like Angelica Houston and Johnny Depp. If this movie is to be as unique as the book, should we maybe consider some actors who have not already been in mystical movies like Harry Potter and the movie about Witches and things? I am not fond (as you already know lol) of the mystical representing the emotions of these characters. I would be fine with it as background and as moods in general but I would love to see the characters act within that magical setting like Chow Yun Fat did in Crouching Tiger. The places were beautiful and magical and here the places , the houses could show the moods of the characters within, with the flowers and the marigolds and the mists. But in Crouching Tiger, they had to work within these boundaries and speak as people The magic they had, like the way the could nearly fly across tree tops as they battled, didn't take away from them as people with emotions and thoughts they shared. It really was an adult fantasy! It was not as big with the kids as with adults, because there was an story line there about people lol.

I would love to see this book done that way, as an adult fantasy, keeping the story of the relationships between the family members and not becoming another fantasy like the Pirate movies, the Potter Movies, the Witches movies where you had to have so much mystical things happening in it to keep the kids happy too, where bad guys are pretty one dimensional and good guys are too and it all has an air of just silly fun to it too, with some scary parts! I would like to see the human drama play out in this, it is there. This book would not interest young kids and maybe not even preteens much, because the magical in it represents the relationships and moods of 3 generations of families whose lives are a mess. Kids aren't interested in that, and if you show too much magical in a movie without the feelings behind them being brought out, as they can in books, its not going to translate out that way. It won't be this book, it will be a screen adaptation of a fairytale with those type caste actors playing an over the top story, so they make sure it is a box office summertime movie for the family. Then you lose the whole drama of the entire book.

I don't think this story would be appropriate for children regardless of how it was made into a movie. There are too many things of an adult nature that children just shouldn't be watching. For that reason, I wouldn't want to see a Harry Potter like movie either. But I think it can be done, and I have seen it done, in a way that can include the magic, the story & have it all done for an adult without it being childish. I think the magic would very much have to be part of the movie since it was such a big part of the book but at the same time not be the centerpiece & outshadow the people & their amazing stories.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Absolutely, that is what I am saying.

JerseyAngel wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

I don't think this story would be appropriate for children regardless of how it was made into a movie. There are too many things of an adult nature that children just shouldn't be watching. For that reason, I wouldn't want to see a Harry Potter like movie either. But I think it can be done, and I have seen it done, in a way that can include the magic, the story & have it all done for an adult without it being childish. I think the magic would very much have to be part of the movie since it was such a big part of the book but at the same time not be the centerpiece & outshadow the people & their amazing stories.

Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Casting Call!/ theme songs

Hey guys,

OK aside from the cast for this movie, any theme songs? How about Flight of the Bumble Bee when Eva is around LOL. Actually, more like the theme from Jaws! daaadummm daaadummm da da da da da da da da da DUMMMM! *screams in the kitchen as the help run for their lives again!*

OH, when Permony dies, this will be a brain teaser maybe, but I really listen to music in movies and have a tape of some of my favorite pieces, that may not have been the theme or named for an oscar or played on the radio, but does anyone remember the movie Cocoon? When Brian Dennehey (sp) come to the pool because the ones in the cocoons are dying because too many people are in the pool, he jumps in to save one and holds it in his arms as it is dying and he cries for the first time and all around him are shook by what they caused, there is a most lovely piece of music for that scene, its sad but also lovely and makes you just tear up. Wish I could find just a clip of that song online, it might even be called first tears.

Vivian
Inspired Contributor
canterbear
0 Kudos

I imagine a mystical city in perhaps China or New Zealand.

Or a computer generated setting.

With lots of atmosphere.

Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

Nothing for Hugh? <sigh> and boohoo!!!!!
ponie
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Hey ponie,

Was wondering what happened to you. Where ya been for the whole discussion? Hope you were not sick.

ponie wrote:

Vivian
Inspired Correspondent
libralady
0 Kudos

Re: Casting Call!/ City

Vivian,

I know exactly what you mean.  This is the image that came to mind when I was reading the book.  I think a European sitting is perfect.  I like the idea of cobblestone streets and brick houses.   

vivico1 wrote:
OH, and as for a city, I wouldn't put this in any well known city. I don't think I would put it in just any modern day city either. I think I would put it in a village or town, not a small one but with the feel to it that maybe seems ageless so you don't know when it is, like some of the villages or towns in Europe where the streets are still cobblestone and the houses are stone or brick too. They are modern in technology but you don't see it from the outside because people have lived in these towns or villages for ages. Know what I mean? There are some that are actually used for modern action films or even medieval times because of their timeless nature.

"Sow today what you want to reap tomorrow"
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Hey ponie! Good to see you here.

I figured you would jump in on the casting call.

pen21

ponie wrote: