Reply
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
Posts: 2,801
Registered: ‎03-23-2007
0 Kudos

Community Room

Please feel free to chat away here in the bee hive/community room!
Distinguished Correspondent
biljounc63
Posts: 189
Registered: ‎11-02-2008
0 Kudos

Buying First Look Books

I have been involved with the the last three first looks and have signed up for the next one as well. I did not like A Fortunate Age, I liked Sag Harbor and I loved The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane. That being said the first two I have not gone and purchased/ordered the books reading the ARC was plenty. I am very tempted to order Physic Book I enjoyed both the story and the packaging of the book.

 

Do you find yourselves ordering the final version of the books?

 

  

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~

"Reading lets you visit the world of another"
Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
Posts: 156
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Paul!!  Thank you for opening up the community room.  You are really dedicated - meeting the needs of First Lookers at 5:30 on a Saturday evening.

 

Looking forward to chatting with everyone!

 

Cheers,

Amanda

 


PaulH wrote:
Please feel free to chat away here in the bee hive/community room!

 

Inspired Correspondent
Amanda-Louise
Posts: 156
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

What are you reading?

Hi,

 

Curious as to what everyone is reading while waiting for Of Bees and Mist?  I know this has been touched on a bit already, but I thought I would move it over here and give it a home.

 

I just finished A.A. Milne's attempt at sleuthing, The Red House Mystery.  Not worth the read.

 

I moved on to The Dante Club by Pearl today.  I read the first 10 pages and had to go back and read them again.  I though I was then on track, but the book changed settings and characters, I got two pages into that and had to go back and read again.

 

I'm wondering - am I not focused today, or have other people had this problem?

 

Cheers,

Amanda

Correspondent
nlsamson
Posts: 104
Registered: ‎03-18-2009
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

I just finished Dog On It.  So today I started Nora Roberts' new book Vision in White. I haven't read much of her, but this actually seems to be okay so far especially because I was looking for an easy read.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

I have a few books going, two of which are Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell and Morrigan's Cross. I always have a few going so that I have something to read that fits my mood. <grin> I haven't read The Dante Club, so can't answer your question there.

 

Another really good book is The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. She wrote a previous FL selection, The House at Riverton.  I also recommend Dog On It, which has been mentioned a lot on this board, and recommend the discussion on Center Stage with Spence Quinn on the 11th.

 


Amanda-Louise wrote:

Hi,

 

Curious as to what everyone is reading while waiting for Of Bees and Mist?  I know this has been touched on a bit already, but I thought I would move it over here and give it a home.

 

I just finished A.A. Milne's attempt at sleuthing, The Red House Mystery.  Not worth the read.

 

I moved on to The Dante Club by Pearl today.  I read the first 10 pages and had to go back and read them again.  I though I was then on track, but the book changed settings and characters, I got two pages into that and had to go back and read again.

 

I'm wondering - am I not focused today, or have other people had this problem?

 

Cheers,

Amanda


 

 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

I agree! Thank you, PAUL!!!


Amanda-Louise wrote:

Paul!!  Thank you for opening up the community room.  You are really dedicated - meeting the needs of First Lookers at 5:30 on a Saturday evening.

 

Looking forward to chatting with everyone!

 

Cheers,

Amanda

 


PaulH wrote:
Please feel free to chat away here in the bee hive/community room!

 


 

 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Buying First Look Books

I have not purchased any of the released copies for myself, but have given them as gifts. Then, I watch for the author to come out with something new and pre-order it. I did that with Kate Morton's new book, The Forgotten Garden. I think the reason I don't get a new copy for myself is because the book holds some great memories - lots of highlights, notes, etc. Each ARC reminds me of our discussion here. I even think I would take it to a book signing. I guess I am sentimental.  :smileywink:


biljounc63 wrote:

I have been involved with the the last three first looks and have signed up for the next one as well. I did not like A Fortunate Age, I liked Sag Harbor and I loved The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane. That being said the first two I have not gone and purchased/ordered the books reading the ARC was plenty. I am very tempted to order Physic Book I enjoyed both the story and the packaging of the book.

 

Do you find yourselves ordering the final version of the books?

 

  


 

 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
DSaff
Posts: 2,048
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Reading preferences

Hi Everyone,

 

  Since this is our Community room, I thought it might be fun to get to know each other a little better. So, the questions I pose to us all are where is your favorite place to read, is it quiet or is there music, and what to you have to drink/snack? Feel free to add other preferences too.

 

For me, my favorite place to read is the front porch. I can hook Oscar up outside and we have shade and sun to enjoy. I read with the sounds of children playing, etc., but do prefer soft music in the background. I usually have a tall glass of water or iced tea, and may have some nuts or sugar-free chocolate to munch on. 

 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Correspondent
nlsamson
Posts: 104
Registered: ‎03-18-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Reading preferences

I wish I had a porch to read on. :smileysad:  Instead I tend to read curled up on the couch with my Lilly-girl.  Sometimes with  a drink (sometimes sparkling water, sometimes not).  If the book is very good, I have been known to tune out everything and everyone around me (except my foot warmer!!)


DSaff wrote:

Hi Everyone,

 

  Since this is our Community room, I thought it might be fun to get to know each other a little better. So, the questions I pose to us all are where is your favorite place to read, is it quiet or is there music, and what to you have to drink/snack? Feel free to add other preferences too.

 

For me, my favorite place to read is the front porch. I can hook Oscar up outside and we have shade and sun to enjoy. I read with the sounds of children playing, etc., but do prefer soft music in the background. I usually have a tall glass of water or iced tea, and may have some nuts or sugar-free chocolate to munch on. 

 


 

 

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
Correspondent
nlsamson
Posts: 104
Registered: ‎03-18-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Reading preferences

[ Edited ]

DSaff:
 I'm in the Northampton area of Western MA.  Where abouts are you?
Message Edited by nlsamson on 05-02-2009 08:54 PM
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,648
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Reading preferences

I like to sit on the couch and read with my Standard Poodle and Japanese Chin sleeping by me. We all enjoy the reading experience.

 

pen21

 

Distinguished Correspondent
JerseyAngel
Posts: 168
Registered: ‎03-18-2009
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?


Amanda-Louise wrote:

Hi,

 

Curious as to what everyone is reading while waiting for Of Bees and Mist?  I know this has been touched on a bit already, but I thought I would move it over here and give it a home.

 


I just finished The Woods by Harlan Coben. I just started reading The Sleeping Doll by Jeffery Deaver. I had picked them both up as Bargain books at B&N. Loved The Woods, too early to say for The Sleeping Doll.

 

Stephanie

Distinguished Correspondent
JerseyAngel
Posts: 168
Registered: ‎03-18-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Reading preferences


DSaff wrote:

Hi Everyone,

 

  Since this is our Community room, I thought it might be fun to get to know each other a little better. So, the questions I pose to us all are where is your favorite place to read, is it quiet or is there music, and what to you have to drink/snack? Feel free to add other preferences too.

 

 


I love reading on spring type days when there is a nice breeze. I don't have a porch so I open the windows & get lost in the book. It is so relaxing! Otherwise, I like reading when it's raining out. I prefer the quiet. Sometimes I have iced tea or a cup of coffee. I don't eat when I read.... which is a good thing right? :smileytongue:

 

Stephanie

Wordsmith
marciliogq
Posts: 244
Registered: ‎02-22-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

 


Amanda-Louise wrote:

 

 

Hi,

 

Curious as to what everyone is reading while waiting for Of Bees and Mist?  I know this has been touched on a bit already, but I thought I would move it over here and give it a home.

 

 



While waiting impatiently Of Bees and Mist, I'm reading "A Woman of thirty" by Honoré de Balzac but have some books on queue. I still have to re-read Don Quijote. I have a great list of books to read but I always try to mix them among theoretical, classical and contemporary readings.
Inspired Correspondent
tabcat
Posts: 100
Registered: ‎09-17-2008

Re: Reading preferences

My favorite place to read  is outside sitting in a recliner lounge under a shade tree with a nice breeze blowing.  If on vacation, under an umbrella at the beach.  My drink would be freshly brewed iced tea.

In the winter, I'll curl up in a big chair with a throw over me, but I usually end up falling asleep!

 

A porch with rocking chair would be lovely :smileyhappy:

 

Teresa

 

Inspired Correspondent
tabcat
Posts: 100
Registered: ‎09-17-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

 

I'm probably the only person left in the world who has not read the Twilight series, but I was given a copy of Twilight so I'm reading that for now.  It will be a quick read and I expect to get notice from the library that my request for The Forgotten Garden is in this week.

t

Wordsmith
marciliogq
Posts: 244
Registered: ‎02-22-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Reading preferences


DSaff wrote:

 

Hi Everyone,

 

  Since this is our Community room, I thought it might be fun to get to know each other a little better. So, the questions I pose to us all are where is your favorite place to read, is it quiet or is there music, and what to you have to drink/snack? Feel free to add other preferences too.

 

For me, my favorite place to read is the front porch. I can hook Oscar up outside and we have shade and sun to enjoy. I read with the sounds of children playing, etc., but do prefer soft music in the background. I usually have a tall glass of water or iced tea, and may have some nuts or sugar-free chocolate to munch on. 


 

In the past I used to read in some unquiet places. I was not worried about noises, music or even children playing. Now I need total concentration, a very quiet place to read. I love the sun over my balcony and the wind through the courtines while I'm lying on the sofa or bed. No song, no children playing, no radio. I prefer a moment of a whole dedication: only the book and me.Sometimes my two cats (Circe and Medea) come to get some cherish or attention and share ideas about the book to me. I love having a coffee while reading, take some notes (I love writing about what I think of books) and articulate them to other books or something I have ever read. I like no food while reading.

 

 

 

Wordsmith
marciliogq
Posts: 244
Registered: ‎02-22-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?


tabcat wrote:

 

I'm probably the only person left in the world who has not read the Twilight series, but I was given a copy of Twilight so I'm reading that for now.  It will be a quick read and I expect to get notice from the library that my request for The Forgotten Garden is in this week.



You are not the one in the team that has not read Twilight series yet. I have not read any page of this(these) book(s). I don't know what happens to me about best-sellers or books tied to teenage universe. I'm a bit afraid of them LOL.

 

 

Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
Posts: 271
Registered: ‎12-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

I have never ead the Twilight series and I don't thinl that I ever will - it just does not appeal to me. I do like vampire stories though. I have read all the books in the Vampire chronicles and the new Tales of Vampires by Anne Rice.

 

My daughter, currently a senior in high school, refuses to read the Twilight books - don't know her reason.

 

CathyB

 


tabcat wrote:

 

I'm probably the only person left in the world who has not read the Twilight series, but I was given a copy of Twilight so I'm reading that for now.  It will be a quick read and I expect to get notice from the library that my request for The Forgotten Garden is in this week.

t