gl
Distinguished Correspondent
gl
0 Kudos

Re: Reading preferences

[ Edited ]

This is a fun question!  I wish I had a porch, but I open the windows and either read on the sofa or a comfy chair with a glass of iced tea or some coffee enjoying the natural light.  I usually have my laptop nearby to check for messages or to read the news.  

Does anyone else like mysteries?

I'd recently discovered Donna Leon's series of Commissario Guido Brunetti, Leslie Glass's April Woo series, the Iain Pears series, Ngaio Marsh, Boris Akunin, the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series, and I.J. Parker's Sugawara Akitada series.  I also enjoy Lisa Scottoline's women lawyers in Philadelphia.  I'd love any recommendations - always looking for something good to read!

Gaby

Message Edited by gl on 05-02-2009 10:50 PM
Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

I just finished (and I do me just!!) The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana by Umberto Eco. Not sure what I will be reading next - I have to check the pile - tomorrow - very tired now.

I read The Dante Club some time ago. I don't believe that I had a problem reading the book - some scenes were a bit disturbing though. I would give it another chance - if you haven't gotten too far into the book, start over with a nice cup of tea (or whatever you like). Sometimes it takes me a while to get used to a new author's writing style - maybe this is the case. Hopefully, you will enjoy reading it.

CathyB

Amanda-Louise wrote:

Hi,

Curious as to what everyone is reading while waiting for Of Bees and Mist?  I know this has been touched on a bit already, but I thought I would move it over here and give it a home.

I just finished A.A. Milne's attempt at sleuthing, The Red House Mystery.  Not worth the read.

I moved on to The Dante Club by Pearl today.  I read the first 10 pages and had to go back and read them again.  I though I was then on track, but the book changed settings and characters, I got two pages into that and had to go back and read again.

I'm wondering - am I not focused today, or have other people had this problem?

Cheers,

Amanda

Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

Re: Buying First Look Books

I too have been involved with several of the First Look readings and have yet to purchase a released copy for myself. This is strange for me as I love to get first printings of first editions. Would/have I purchased as gifts for others? - definitely; however, for myself, I do find the ARC to have a special place in my heart.

I have never been to a book signing and I would like to attend one - if I did, I would certainly take the ARC; however, I might have to purchase the book at that time as I hear that some places require purchase of the book to attend. This happened at a Giada book signing in Princeton (sometime in the last year). I was planning to go but was unable to attend at the last minute.

CathyB

biljounc63 wrote:

I have been involved with the the last three first looks and have signed up for the next one as well. I did not like A Fortunate Age, I liked Sag Harbor and I loved The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane. That being said the first two I have not gone and purchased/ordered the books reading the ARC was plenty. I am very tempted to order Physic Book I enjoyed both the story and the packaging of the book.

Do you find yourselves ordering the final version of the books?

Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

I can tune out anything, anytime, anywhere. So, if I had to pick a favorite spot (one I can go to everyday), I would say sitting on my reclining sofa. I don't eat/drink near my books - I am obsessed with keeping them in pristine condition and fearSee full size image

the stains/crumbs.

CathyB

DSaff wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Since this is our Community room, I thought it might be fun to get to know each other a little better. So, the questions I pose to us all are where is your favorite place to read, is it quiet or is there music, and what to you have to drink/snack? Feel free to add other preferences too.

For me, my favorite place to read is the front porch. I can hook Oscar up outside and we have shade and sun to enjoy. I read with the sounds of children playing, etc., but do prefer soft music in the background. I usually have a tall glass of water or iced tea, and may have some nuts or sugar-free chocolate to munch on. 

Wordsmith
ponie
0 Kudos

gl wrote:

This is a fun question!  I wish I had a porch, but I open the windows and either read on the sofa or a comfy chair with a glass of iced tea or some coffee enjoying the natural light.  I usually have my laptop nearby to check for messages or to read the news.  

I'd recently discovered Donna Leon's series of Commissario Guido Brunetti, Leslie Glass's April Woo series, the Iain Pears series, Ngaio Marsh, Boris Akunin, the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series, and I.J. Parker's Sugawara Akitada series.  I also enjoy Lisa Scottoline's women lawyers in Philadelphia.  I'd love any recommendations - always looking for something good to read!

Gaby

Gaby, have you read David Rosenfeld?  Start with Open and Shut and read in order.  The "next" book often references what went on in the previous book.

Did you know that there is a #1 Ladies Detective Agency series on HBO right now?  We go over to my in-laws (we don't have cable) every Sunday night for the next installment.  We are thoroughly enjoying them.  Mma Makutsi is spot on!!!  Fun.

Did you read/like Water for Elephants?  Try Hannah's Dream. (not a mystery)

For mystery book club we just read Odd Thomas (Koontz)...and it was...um..err...odd!  Not a book I would normally pick up.  I think there are 4 in the Odd series and I would read another one. 

Have you read Tana French's In The Woods and The Likeness?  I heard her talk at a book signing.  She was delightful.  Made reading the books even more special.

Try Stalking Susan by Julie Kramer (a MN author) as well as White Tombs by Christopher Valens (a MN author) and one that may no longer be in print but if you run across it get it Dead Silence by Ron Handberg (a MN author).

And finally, Nevada Barr...does she interest you?

ponie
Wordsmith
ponie

Say!
I like to read books!
Just about anywhere!

And I would read one in a boat.
And I would read one with a goat...

And I will read one in the rain.
And in the dark. And on a train.
And in a car. And in a tree.
I love reading books immensely!

So I will read them in a box.
And I will read them with a fox.
And I will read them in a house.
And I will read them with a mouse.
And I will read them here and there.
Say! I will read them ANYWHERE!

:smileyvery-happy:

ponie
Wordsmith
ponie

On a more serious and truly magical note...I must tell this...

I did not grow up a reader.  My mother did not and to this day does not read.  She can read, but, sadly she does not read.  She does not understand what walking thru a bookstore, just touching books (saying "I read this one, ooh I read this one, ooh, now here is one I want to read") is all about.  A few years ago I took her to her local library and made her get her first library card at 75 years old!!!  She has never used it or returned to the library.  I am at my library several times a week. 

But I did not become a reader til I was in my late 20s.  A friend (a librarian) began introducing me to all I had missed out on.  One of the first books I read was The Secret Garden.  I remember staying up til 3 in the morning finishing that book with nothing but a flashlight in our Bethany camper set up outside our cabin in northern MN on an early summer night.  I can close my eyes and be there even now.  It almost makes me cry but it's a good cry.  It truly was magical.  And I became hooked.  And thanks to her, her name was Hope, I became a reader (and began making up for lost time) and my children are readers, and I know their children will be readers. 

What a gift!  Thanks Hope, wherever you may be.

ponie
New User
mamanurse2002
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Just finished The English Assassin by Daniel Silva (car read aloud with hubby) and I am reading First Comes Marriage by Mary Balough.  Both are good reads
Distinguished Correspondent
JerseyAngel
0 Kudos

I have a question... what do you all do with books you don't keep? I just don't have the room to keep every book I read. I keep the special ones but the others have to go. My local library doesn't take donations. I know I could give them to Goodwill, I've looked for other charities that take books without much luck. Then there's always Ebay but it doesn't seem worth the aggravation for the amount I would get for them. I've also heard of book swapping sites but haven't been able to locate a good one. Would love to know, for those of you that do part with books, what you do with them? If you know of any good book swapping sites, let me know!

Stephanie

Inspired Contributor
januttall
0 Kudos

Re: Buying First Look Books

[ Edited ]

biljounc63 wrote:

I have been involved with the the last three first looks and have signed up for the next one as well. I did not like A Fortunate Age, I liked Sag Harbor and I loved The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane. That being said the first two I have not gone and purchased/ordered the books reading the ARC was plenty. I am very tempted to order Physic Book I enjoyed both the story and the packaging of the book.

Do you find yourselves ordering the final version of the books?

I was thinking about this the other day.  I also loved The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane and am quite attached to my ARC.  If I am fortunate enought to meet Katherine, I would like her to sign that copy vs. a new one.  It's kind of like it's got a story all its own (besides the obvious one contained within its pages).  I also prefer paperback covers to hard covers. 

However, all of this makes me feel bad about not supporting Katherine by purchasing a hard cover copy.  'Though I am telling everyone I know about the book, so hopefully I'm compensating buy encouraging others to purchase it! 

ETA - Oh, and I will most definitely be giving it as a gift!

Message Edited by januttall on 05-03-2009 06:10 AM
Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

JerseyAngel wrote:

I have a question... what do you all do with books you don't keep? I just don't have the room to keep every book I read. I keep the special ones but the others have to go. My local library doesn't take donations. I know I could give them to Goodwill, I've looked for other charities that take books without much luck. Then there's always Ebay but it doesn't seem worth the aggravation for the amount I would get for them. I've also heard of book swapping sites but haven't been able to locate a good one. Would love to know, for those of you that do part with books, what you do with them? If you know of any good book swapping sites, let me know!

Stephanie

I take my books to the local Nursing/Long Term Care facility. I have never tried to sell a book on Ebay, or used a bookswapping site either.

Inspired Contributor
januttall
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Since this is our Community room, I thought it might be fun to get to know each other a little better. So, the questions I pose to us all are where is your favorite place to read, is it quiet or is there music, and what to you have to drink/snack? Feel free to add other preferences too.

For me, my favorite place to read is the front porch. I can hook Oscar up outside and we have shade and sun to enjoy. I read with the sounds of children playing, etc., but do prefer soft music in the background. I usually have a tall glass of water or iced tea, and may have some nuts or sugar-free chocolate to munch on. 

Great question, Donna!  It really depends on my mood/frame of mind.  I tend to prefer quite time for my book club reads (it's so easy for my aging mind to get distracted and I like to be able to really concentrate on them).  This means I'm usually escaping to my BR in the evening (while my husband and son watch TV in the LR); sometimes with a glass of wine.  On an early morning such as this one, I'll settle into the couch with a good cup of coffee. 

For lighter reads, I prefer to be in one of the adirondack style gliders on our front porch while our son and dog play nearby outside.  If it's a warm day, I'll have a large glass of ice water with me.

I'm not big on eating while reading (I think that's the only time I veer away from food, actually); I hate getting food/grease stains on my books :smileywink:.

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi Stephanie. I have taken books to work for our "sharing spot." It is a great way to read a variety of books/magazines without having to store them. There are usually 30 - 35 books on the shelves at any time. We also have a campus wide book-swap once a year, and have donated books to local prisons and shelters. Our kids also swap books with us, and that is a lot of fun. I have not tried E-bay or online swapping.

JerseyAngel wrote:

Stephanie

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Hi Gaby! I adore the #1 Ladies' Detective Agency series! I have read them all and can't wait for a new one to come out. Mysteries are one of my favorite genres, so thank you for the recommendations. Dog On It by Spencer Quinn was the last mystery I read, and I do love Agatha Christie. My grandmother got me interested in her writing years ago, and I have many of the books from her collection. James Patterson and Jonathan Kellerman also write good mysteries.

gl wrote:

Gaby

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Ponie, I, too, enjoy the HBO series about the #1 Ladies' Detective Agency. The characters fit my pictures of them, and it is fun to hear the correct pronunciation of the places presented in the books. :smileywink:

ponie wrote:

Did you know that there is a #1 Ladies Detective Agency series on HBO right now?  We go over to my in-laws (we don't have cable) every Sunday night for the next installment.  We are thoroughly enjoying them.  Mma Makutsi is spot on!!!  Fun.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MSaff
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I usually will sit on the couch and read, but have been known to sit on the porch as well.  At times I will have music playing in the background.  I will have something to drink sitting there next to me, and sometimes it's still sitting there a couple of hours later.  This happens especially if I get totally engrossed in the book I happen to be reading at the time. 

I especially enjoy history, ( U.S. History) to be more specific, but B&Ns' First Look Club has opened my eyes to a wider variety of books.  

Mike
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
http://travelswithcarsandbooks.blogspot.com/
Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

Donna - it's out - I saw it in my local B&N yesterday. I think it is called Tea Time for the Traditinally Built. I have read all but this one. I have also read all of the Isabelle Dalhoise series.

CathyB

DSaff wrote:

Hi Gaby! I adore the #1 Ladies' Detective Agency series! I have read them all and can't wait for a new one to come out. Mysteries are one of my favorite genres, so thank you for the recommendations. Dog On It by Spencer Quinn was the last mystery I read, and I do love Agatha Christie. My grandmother got me interested in her writing years ago, and I have many of the books from her collection. James Patterson and Jonathan Kellerman also write good mysteries.

gl wrote:

Gaby

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Thanks, Cathy! Now I need to get it. LOL

CathyB wrote:

Donna - it's out - I saw it in my local B&N yesterday. I think it is called Tea Time for the Traditinally Built. I have read all but this one. I have also read all of the Isabelle Dalhoise series.

CathyB

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Amanda, I had trouble with The Dante Club at first, but a few chapters in and then I was hooked. It just starts out slow. I had that same problem with his next book, The Poe Shadow and put it down for awhile, but then never picked it back up. Still on my tbr list.

Amanda-Louise wrote:

Hi,

Curious as to what everyone is reading while waiting for Of Bees and Mist?  I know this has been touched on a bit already, but I thought I would move it over here and give it a home.

I just finished A.A. Milne's attempt at sleuthing, The Red House Mystery.  Not worth the read.

I moved on to The Dante Club by Pearl today.  I read the first 10 pages and had to go back and read them again.  I though I was then on track, but the book changed settings and characters, I got two pages into that and had to go back and read again.

I'm wondering - am I not focused today, or have other people had this problem?

Cheers,

Amanda

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

It's funny that some of you are talking about The Forgotten Garden because I just finished reading House at Riverton and loved it. I would like to start her next bok, but I have alot of other books I haven't read yet, so I am not letting myself get her new one just yet.:smileyhappy:
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com